It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humongous, gassy halo found surrounding Milky Way

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Our galaxy — and the nearby Large and Small Magellanic Clouds as well — appears to be surrounded by an enormous halo of hot gas, several hundred times hotter than the surface of the Sun and with an equivalent mass of up to 60 billion Suns, suggesting that other galaxies may be similarly encompassed and providing a possible clue to the mystery of the galaxy’s missing baryons — a.k.a., dark matter.

(Artists rendering of the gas cloud/halo)

I thought this was pretty cool, so I decided to share it with everyone.

A team using NASA's Chandra X-ray observatory along with the European Space Agency’s XMM-Newton space observatory and Japan’s Suzaku satellite. Discovered this gigantic cloud of super hot gas.

It seems it was speculated before that there would be such clouds surrounding galaxies, but I don't remember ever hearing about it. I guess they didn't expect it to be as hot as it is either.

The scientists determined the temperature of the halo is between 1 million and 2.5 million kelvins — a few hundred times hotter than the surface of the Sun.

I find this kind of disappointing. I mean, that's stupid hot. What does that mean for intergalactic space travel? I know that is still a very long way off. But this sounds like it is going to be quite an obstacle to overcome.
Can anyone else more knowledgeable provide some further insight on this?

Link to story
Full NASA release.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I doubt conventional methods of travel (ie, physically traveling the real distance) would ever get us that far from earth anyway. And i cant imagine all the universe keeping all civilizations totally isolated either. i think intergalactic travel would use "shortcuts" through the fabric of space/time. I cant imagine actual superluminal craft being possible.

Maybe the martians have the tech

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Perhaps it's hiding us !

Good Find S&F.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

The scientists determined the temperature of the halo is between 1 million and 2.5 million kelvins — a few hundred times hotter than the surface of the Sun.

I find this kind of disappointing. I mean, that's stupid hot. What does that mean for intergalactic space travel? I know that is still a very long way off. But this sounds like it is going to be quite an obstacle to overcome.
Can anyone else more knowledgeable provide some further insight on this?
Thanks for the interesting post.

Don't get worked up about the million plus degrees temperature, you would actually freeze to death at that temperature in that environment.

To understand temperature in space, you have to discard your earthly understanding of it, and develop a new cosmic understanding, because of the low densities of matter in intergalactic space. Yes you'd be struck by million degree atoms, but not enough of them to stop you from freezing.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I imagine that this heat shield would distort the way we see other galaxies. Hotter than the sun. How could it not have some profound affect?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Artificially put there to keep humans within this galaxy

Since NASA recently released info about beginning to work on a warp engine, the aliens around fled the galaxy and put up this "field" to prevent us from following them.

NASA warp drive

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

1 can see the heat disrupting images obtained as of now, not to mention what could live within the heated gas conditions? Interesting find will the gamma bubble react to it 1 wonders.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

You may be right, I don't know.

But as far as I am aware, we don't know if those "shortcuts" are even possible yet. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens when we get there.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Can you explain that in a way that stupid people can understand it. Or provide a link to an explanation.

Because right now, my brain doesn't want anything to do with what you just posted.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Why does something need to be that hot? Is there any scientific facts about why? I am no astronomer and just peak interest in it from time to time.......

Sorry if this question sounds dumb, but I don't understand why something would be like that? A halo a gazillion times hotter than the sun, does it serve a purpose?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Maybe its a kind of shield of some sorts, but designed to keep what out, or who in? Us by chance? I know thats being really big headed. LoL
edit on 24-9-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I think one way to explain it would be that it is heated particles, but particles in space are not really packed that tight. So imagine you have a couple of gas burners representing the particles, but they are placed far apart. Looked at from a distance would make the entire area seem warmer, but you could easily walk through them.
I do not know if this is exactly correct, but it is how I interpret it.

Perhaps some kind of heat left from the big bang. Being held together by the force of the galaxy.
edit on 24-9-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

Sorry if this question sounds dumb, but I don't understand why something would be like that? A halo a gazillion times hotter than the sun, does it serve a purpose?

It could be as simple as a energy balancer sort of like an electron to an atoms nuclei keeping the neutrons and protons together it keeps the energies within it sustained and may effect gravity as well. I dont know if its to block others from entering more that it may be assisting the lifeforms within. Hope that helps

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

1 can see the heat disrupting images obtained as of now, not to mention what could live within the heated gas conditions? Interesting find will the gamma bubble react to it 1 wonders.

Hey O, what about those pillars you started a thread on a little while back? I can't remember all the details off the top of my head, but does this have any effect on that by any means?

Again, I am sorry if the question sounds dumb, but I forget all the details and I am at work right now.....Hard for me to refer back at the moment.....

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Sort of reminds me of the electric fences at the zoo. Now is it to keep us in or keep them out? It does seem there is some design to this doesn't it? Thanx for sharing this pic.

edit on 24-9-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

It could be as simple as a energy balancer sort of like an electron to an atoms nuclei keeping the neutrons and protons together it keeps the energies within it sustained and may effect gravity as well. I dont know if its to block others from entering more that it may be assisting the lifeforms within. Hope that helps

Are you thinking there are more life forms closer to this than us? I can't see this benefitting mankind? Or am I off here?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

They did not specify whether or not they had determined a cause or purpose for such a cloud to exist. or at least I didn't see it when I was reading through the articles. I think they are still collecting information on it.

reply to post by LiberalSceptic

OK, that makes sense to me.
If that is an accurate analogy of what is going on there, then I am tracking with you.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

What purpose do you think it serves? I don't know if you are an expert on this stuff (or if anyone is really) but I just like to hear what REAL purposes this might serve.

We can talk about aliens and stuff all we want (as much as I want to believe it also), but is there a scientific reason for it?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Well, do not take my word for it. I am not educated in these kind of things.
Just the first thought that came into my mind

I am sure that someone with far greater knowledge will come along and give you a better explanation.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Hey O, what about those pillars you started a thread on a little while back? I can't remember all the details off the top of my head, but does this have any effect on that by any means?

In my above post I had mentioned that it may be related to sustaining life form energies somewhat like the make up of an atom works with the electrons surrounding the nuclei of an atom holding the atomic structure together somewhat.

So in some ways Chrisfishenstein, its outside effects may be playing some part on agitating some of the energy vibrating caused from super nova stars shock waves or black holes moving and rearranging planets/stars/moons as they come near or move away from them or it could be effecting other celestial activities like star/planet collisions/ movements related to the aging of celestial objects and them burning out.

But it would seem the activities that cause different life sustaining parameters within those areas like the Pillars of Creation inside of M16 are more local to the vicinity of the nebula energies, forming future habitats for various Creator Creations to dwell within my friend and these habitats very well could be effected from this energy cloud surrounding the whole habitat forming process. To add it may be a fence type blocker to prevent energies from encountering each other when there not ready to as of yet.

Again, I am sorry if the question sounds dumb, but I forget all the details and I am at work right now.....Hard for me to refer back at the moment.....

not an issue 1 is willing to help out where 1 can

Are you thinking there are more life forms closer to this than us? I can't see this benefitting mankind? Or am I off here?

The Large and Small Magellanic Clouds are said to be near or within it as well so maybe they are within similar energy make up as others who share this cloud with them within the Milkyway. That is if there are proven to be similar clouds in other regions of the cosmos covering multiple galaxy/nebula regions. If you meant are there energies outside it wanting to get in 1 is not sure of that Chrisfishenstein, but could imaging it being very silent in these regions between clouds or galaxies within the clouds. It will be nice to see if any future data comes in showing other clouds around other cosmic formations. May be a way to detect similar life forms???

I hope my data input helped you out my friend

NAMASTE*******
edit on 9/24/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join