It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stars and Planets, Meteors and Comets, the TRUTH

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by magickmaster
I have a hard time believing that Jupiter, 360 Million miles away from earth, reflects the sun, and appears bright as it does, when the moon in contrast is 238,000 miles away. It makes sense to me that the moon would reflect some light from the sun, and we could see it here on earth. It does NOT make sense that Jupiter could be as bright as it is at night, and science claims it's from the reflection of sunlight. I do not believe it so easily.

Do you believe you see your hand when you look at it?

Do you know why you see your hand when you look at it?

The answer is the same for everything the eyes look at, the only reason we see is due to the light reflecting of the object we are looking at and back to our eyes for our brain to interpret.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
5 pages to scroll through of people feeding the troll that won't pick up a book and figure out an ounce of what they are questioning.

I do agree we should question things but if your not going to put one ounce of effort to find answers to your questions then neither should the rest of ATS.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by knowledgedesired

Asking questions if you don't know the answers, or have a hard time understanding is hardly trolling.

I can imagine some countries in the world that are highly religious forbidding knowledge of the universe and such like.

The poster (assuming he genuinely doesn't know) has asked on a board where he probably knows he will get some answers.

Nothing wrong with that.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by knowledgedesired

Asking questions if you don't know the answers, or have a hard time understanding is hardly trolling.

I can imagine some countries in the world that are highly religious forbidding knowledge of the universe and such like.

The poster (assuming he genuinely doesn't know) has asked on a board where he probably knows he will get some answers.

Nothing wrong with that.

I agree with knowledgedesired. I mean sure, if people want to take the time to answer and someone probably has. But the point I was making (and maybe what others are making) is that the op is just being lazy.

That is what this particular post feels like to me. The op basically asked for the content of an entire intro astro class. And then to what extent? How the eyes see? Which I think someone touched on.

It's different from someone spouting erroneous things about astronomy. Or someone asking a genuine question or a more specific question. If the op doesn't want regurgitated answers, what does he/she expect to get at a conspiracy forum?

Not discounting the knowledge here because there are very smart people here. But you will find, however, those people do their own research. But ATS is also filled with so much wrong information, how can one wade through it if they lack the very basics? That is why the op needs to go elsewhere for this information.

For example:

If you tell me they are reflecting light, then what is it about them, that causes them to light up at night, by reflecting light?

To me, this is asking:
How is light reflected? How do we see? Why do the planets reflect light?
Again, to what extent does the op expect these to be answered?

I've had students come to me and ask for summaries of entire chapters because they were too lazy to read for themselves. Sorry dude, I don't like that. I have little patience for it. I agree that asking questions are good. BUT - Do your due diligence and then ask. All it takes is a quick google search. I even showed the op how to phrase a simple search string.

edit on 25-9-2012 by kisharninmah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by kisharninmah

You're probably right, think I am just getting sick of seeing people bash other people here on ATS.

Anyways, I did my bit and answered all his questions to the best of my knowledge (and a little Google search thrown in, lol).

I feel content in helping someone, I just hope he takes your suggestion and furthers that by doing research of his own.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

You're probably right, think I am just getting sick of seeing people bash other people here on ATS.

Anyways, I did my bit and answered all his questions to the best of my knowledge (and a little Google search thrown in, lol).

I feel content in helping someone, I just hope he takes your suggestion and furthers that by doing research of his own.

That is kind of you. And it’s not that I don’t want to help someone. I do. I have volunteered for many years at various times tutoring math and astronomy. And I plan on continuing.

Like I said, this post is different to me. I certainly understand your frustration. Bashing goes on here, though I think it has gotten better. I also get frustrated with this type of ignorance that pervades our society. The not knowing of basic things. If anything were to happen, a global cataclysm, we would end up back in the dark ages. My comment about this being grade school stuff was not intended to be pretentious. Though it may have come across that way. You have to understand how often I have encountered people not even knowing that the Earth revolves around the sun. There was a time I would have never faulted anyone for this lack of knowledge. Now I feel, if you are an adult, then there is no excuse for it. Responsibility. That is what it boils down to. It is just a statement about my feelings on the topic. You are an adult. You are responsible for yourself and your choices and your knowledge. I’m not talking about places in the world where human rights are violated because that is entirely different. This person, the op, is clearly not in that situation. The op has the ability to go to a library or google. That is what I meant by the op having the ability to come here, to a conspiracy site.

Anyway, if the op hasn’t thanked you, he or she should.

edit on 25-9-2012 by kisharninmah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

reply to post by fedeykin

He didn't deny the holocaust in that sentence, he questioned the death toll, as have many others.

To deny the holocaust would be an insult to those who died/suffered as a result of it, but to question if TPTB gave us the real figures, and not a greater figure to make it sound even worse (if that is possible)....well......

Exactly!

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Lone12

Hi Lone12,
I appreciate your replies and i will look into your links and thoughts on this. Sounds interesting. I get bored with traditional ideas because generally, they are accepted because they fit into most people's ideas of what's real, but my ideas of what is real are wider in variety. I appreciate all the folks who look deeper, even if there is nothing there. But it does sound like there is something to this, that you are mentioning. I'll have to dig into it.

I never stood good with the idea that we needed advanced math and science to understand the basics of the universe. I could not imagine insectoid and reptile races learning the 3 (R)s before building their spacecraft. lol

There has to be more to it, than the studies we have been taught, through science. Did ancient India and their Vimanas all require calculus to understand how to build and fly? I doubt it.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by yorkshirelad
reply to post by magickmaster

Please do the following:

1. Switch of your computer.
2. Find where the nearest library is.
3. Spend a couple of weeks reading and learning about astronomy.
4. Create a new ATS account becasue you sure don't want any link to this nonsense when you have educated yourself on very very basic stuff.

What is nonsense about asking questions and challenging the status quo?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Phishyblankwaters, I was not trying to waste people's time. My time is valuable too.
My thoughts are not solid, like many people's around here. Mine are fluid and can change easily.

The explanations given to me so far DO make sense, but they do not completely satisfy me. For instance, one person just commented about meteors killing off the dinosaurs. That's another common belief of science, but it has not been proven, and it is still merely highly educated speculation. So, I am always looking for the truth, no matter what I believe for the time being.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros

Originally posted by patmac573
reply to post by rhinoceros

I do believe that you need to look into the car he provided power to with "THE LITTLE BLACK BOX" and then you tell me that he did NOT provide proof of wireless power my friend!

What car? I have seen that picture of Tesla holding a burning light bulb in the middle of a field, but what does wireless energy transfer have to do with "free energy"?

Wireless energy transfer is essentially what we call free energy today. It's not completely free, but it does not require us to produce energy to extract energy back out.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

So, you have a problem with people asking the question "why are we here?" , even though it has been answered SO many times already?

Are you aware that some people believe in aliens and their entire culture as reality, and yet, others don't?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

So, you have a problem with people asking the question "why are we here?" , even though it has been answered SO many times already?

Are you aware that some people believe in aliens and their entire culture as reality, and yet, others don't?

No, I don't have a problem with that. Nor did I state anything like that. Yes, I am aware of that. Please READ, in its entirety, what I wrote and then respond.
edit on 25-9-2012 by kisharninmah because: to fix typos

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Sometimes it can be good for people to NOT know the Earth revolves around the Sun.
It's usually these people who stumble upon whole new ways of looking at the universe. Newton did not know the earth revolved around the sun, until he discovered it, right?

Now, just because he discovered and expressed what we all consider to be fact today, does not mean someone will not come along and prove him completely wrong about the Earth and the Sun, tomorrow, but as long as YOU believe what we are told, YOU will never be that person, will you?

edit on 25-9-2012 by magickmaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Sometimes it can be good for people to NOT know the Earth revolves around the Sun.
It's usually these people who stumble upon whole new ways of looking at the universe. Newton did not know the earth revolved around the sun, until he discovered it, right?

Now, just because he discovered and expressed what we all consider to be fact today, does not mean someone will not come along and prove him completely wrong about the Earth and the Sun, tomorrow, but as long as YOU believe what we are told, YOU will never be that person, will you?

No, it is never good for a person NOT to know the Earth revolves around the sun. Never. Everything in science builds on itself. Newton didn’t come up with his theories on his own. He built upon Copernicus and Kepler, just as Einstein built upon Newton and Maxwell. Did you not take any advice that I gave you? My attempt was to not you put you down, but rather inform you.

You need to learn what a fact is. How it is different from an opinion.What the scientific method is, what a hypothesis is, what a theory is, and how that differs from fact.

I cannot help you if you do not take the steps to help yourself. I'm not going to spar with you either. And it is clear to me that you did not take the time to read everything I wrote in regard to your op.

edit on 25-9-2012 by kisharninmah because: to fix typos and add a line

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I do believe that you need to look into the car he provided power to with "THE LITTLE BLACK BOX" and then you tell me that he did NOT provide proof of wireless power my friend!

What car? I have seen that picture of Tesla holding a burning light bulb in the middle of a field, but what does wireless energy transfer have to do with "free energy"?

Wireless energy transfer is essentially what we call free energy today. It's not completely free, but it does not require us to produce energy to extract energy back out.

The new Nokia phone, Lumia 920, supports wireless charging (energy transfer). However, you're going to plug that charger to the wall just like you plug a conventional charger to a wall. The exact same thing with Tesla's wireless energy transfer..

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

The new Nokia phone, Lumia 920, supports wireless charging (energy transfer). However, you're going to plug that charger to the wall just like you plug a conventional charger to a wall. The exact same thing with Tesla's wireless energy transfer..

i'm sorry, but I don't think Tesla plugged his into a wall, or had to produce energy in order to transfer it. Did Tesla have a battery for his Wardincliff tower in Colorado?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I beg to differ with this. Many people lived perfectly constructive lives without ever knowing the Earth revolves around the Sun.

One day, we might discover we are not living in a "Universe", but instead, inside of a test tube, with an artificially created "Universe", as our Matrix of reality. If that day ever comes, the REAL truth will be that the Earth DOES NOT revolve around the Sun, but in fact, all the universe is made to "appear" as though these are the scientific facts. -- At this point, Science would not be "wrong" but it would only be correct within a certain framework or model.

It just may take that one person, who does NOT know the Earth revolves around the Sun, to make that discovery for us all.
That's all i'm saying here. Too many facts can close a mind, regardless of whether those facts all point to one single truth. If you take every word in the Bible as fact, then maybe there is justification for killing others that do not agree with your religion. Then you become extreme in your understanding and beliefs and justified as well, all because of an abundance of overwhelming "facts".

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by magickmaster

Well, I guess we will have to agree to disagree. What you are saying contradicts your original op. It seems to me that you really don’t want to know the answers.

You are discussing some kind of metaphysical philosophy of your own design, not seeking truth. Relative “truth” is not the truth. And I would say the same to you. That your mind is closed because you won’t allow any form of reason or logic or real truth to enter it. If this is what you want to discuss –your philosophies, then you are in the wrong forum. This is the science and technology forum, not the metaphysical and philosophy forum. I suggest you go there.

I beg to differ with this. Many people lived perfectly constructive lives without ever knowing the Earth revolves around the Sun.
– This has nothing to do with what I said nor does it have anything to do with your op. I said people should know, not that they couldn’t live constructive lives without knowing. And in terms of the progression of scientific truth, this knowledge is needed. And if you fail to learn what science is then this conversation is circular and closed.

It just may take that one person, who does NOT know the Earth revolves around the Sun, to make that discovery for us all.
– Again, I think it would be good for you to go the library and learn about the history of our solar system models, especially Galileo.

That's all i'm saying here.
– You’re saying a lot of things here, none of which correspond to the op or the forum posted in.

Too many facts can close a mind, regardless of whether those facts all point to one single truth. If you take every word in the Bible as fact, then maybe there is justification for killing others that do not agree with your religion. Then you become extreme in your understanding and beliefs and justified as well, all because of an abundance of overwhelming "facts".
– You put facts in quotes which just makes me sigh heavily. I think of the kind poster who took the time out to answers your questions and I sigh again. And how did the bible end up in this conversation? I didn’t put it there.

I’m not going to have a philosophical conversation with you. I'm unfollowing this thread, so I'm not going to respond to you anymore.

Good luck. I hope you find what you are looking for.

edit on 25-9-2012 by kisharninmah because: fix typos

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join