It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stars and Planets, Meteors and Comets, the TRUTH

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by magickmaster

There is still nine planets in my solar system, the version I accept. If they want to take it out of their records than let them. I still consider pluto a planet, just because a bunch of scientists agree it isn't now doesn't mean anything. a bunch of scientists agreed it was a planet and made us learn that. So why do these guys have to change that. There are a few planets that are different than others, are they going to take jupiter and say it is not a planet also?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

If you take the entire mass of our solar system, the sun is 99% of it. Out of the 1% left, jupiter is 99% of that 1%. It by far the second largest body in the solar system. This is why you see it so well, from so far, also it makes 2 times as much light as it recievves from the sun, so it does actually make light, just not much.

The reason jupiter is as bright in comparrison to our moon is simple math.

The moon- 1/5 the size of earth approx.
jupiters big red (eye) storm- 3 times the size of earth

That is the reason for your misunderstanding, sheer size, Jupiter is a giant in more than just the name "gas giant" it really is just huge, amazingly so.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

Sounds good to me.

Makes sense, somewhat. If it's emitting it's own light, then I can believe that much more. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

It isn't a "planet" any longer because it is too small, we as a species classify things based on certain characteristics.

There are moons in our solar system bigger than pluto, there for, it would cause a classification problem, so to remedy the situation, it is now called a planetoid, or proto planet.

Otherwise we would have tens of thousands of planets, as there are now many know kyper bely objects bigger than pluto, and asteroids in the belt almost as big, as well as a dozen moons larger than it is.

So either we learn the names of tens of thousands of planets, or we define "planet" as somthing, and things smaller than this are, down to a cerftain size are proto planets, and things smaller are asteroids.

So they went the logical direction and placed pluto in the category it belongs in, the proto planet category.

You can still call it pluto, what's the big deal? Other not understanding the reason they changed its classification?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

No problems man, I love talking about astronomy, I will gladly answer any questions you have, I have very extensive knowledge on the subject.

There is just so little discussion on the subject around here as all the known facts are basically known to almost everyone with an interest. So the subject gets ignored a lot.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

So does this mean it will lose it's status as a God as well?
ancienthistory.about.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Not likely, as it was discovered much later than the god was named, so it was merely following a trend of naming planets after gods that began in prehistory.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

I do believe that you need to look into the car he provided power to with "THE LITTLE BLACK BOX" and then you tell me that he did NOT provide proof of wireless power my friend!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
That OP just gave me a headache.

I've seen meteors and I have seen ufos/possible spacecraft. I cannot understand how the 2 could be confused?

Also, I can see more than 2 planets most nights. They light up the same way that our moon does, but that's basic elementary science and not a conspiracy.

I encourage an open mind, but as they say.... don't let your brain fall out!

Not everything they teach us in school is a scam. This is just basic stuff! I would almost suspect trolling here.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by patmac573

Wait are you referfencing Tesla? I know quite a lot about the great man Tesla, but don't know what your speaking to. I haven't heard of him powering a car with a little black box before, unless your talking about him creating remote control to drive a toy. Just like he did with the toy boat.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Stars and planets are very different. Stars are undergoing nuclear fusion and planets are not.

Venus is very bright because of its cloud covering, giving it a high albedo (reflection).

Jupiter actually has its own radiation (NOT from nuclear fusion). Jupiter is too small to be a brown dwarf, but it is a good comparison. (Brown dwarfs are failed stars.)

We see the moon and the planets in our solar system because of the sun's light. (Our sun is a star. And yes, a lot of people do not know that.)

Meteors vary in size. Most burn up in the atmosphere. The larger ones survive entry. Comets are balls of ice and dust.

This is basic grade school science, an indictment of the education system for sure. However, as an adult, you also have a responsibility to properly educate yourself.

I can appreciate your skeptical nature. However, do not confuse skepticism with a lack of knowledge.

It astounds me how many people know very little about the Earth, Sun, and Solar System.

I also understand that science can seem mysterious. But take the time to read about the scientific method. Learn the difference between pseudoscience and real science. Take a basic astronomy course. There are good places on the internet to learn for free, and there is always the public library. (And as much as I like coming to ATS, this is NOT a good place to learn.)

Sometimes I wonder if people are for real on here or joking around.

Anyway, I gave you brief descriptions. Anything more and I charge.

Adding:

And I might seem like a hard nose here.

Google. You knew enough to come here and ask these questions. And I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who know the answers.

Read up on it and then come back with questions after you read for yourself what these things are. Your questions are very general. I used to tutor astronomy, and I have come across many different types of students. I believe and I have seen that a student learns best when they have to struggle through some of the problem solving. You will fare better if you take the time to read. Read. Not hear someone tell you, or read it on a site like this. Read a legitimate source.

Simple search strings: Why is Venus bright? Look for .edu extensions.

After you do this and read through this stuff and you're still confused, then tell me what is confusing you. Then, if I know it, I will do my best to explain it.

And to answer your main question:

Are any of you out there skeptical that stars are actually stars and planets are actually planets?

No.

edit on 24-9-2012 by kisharninmah because: adding additional commentary

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

G'day magickmaster

Its good to ask questions so dont let rude people stop you

www.futureofmankind.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Heck. Go back to school, this stuff is so basic a well taught 8 year old could answer most of it.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reminds me of an argument i shockingly had with more than one person that obviously a shooting star is an asteroid buring up in the atmosphere (or space junk) not a freaking star flying through space!!! how is that so hard to understand!?
edit on 24-9-2012 by Messier45 because: space junk in my trunk

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Messier45
reminds me of an argument i shockingly had with more than one person that obviously a shooting star is an asteroid buring up in the atmosphere not a freaking star flying through space!!! how is that so hard to understand!?

How hard is it to actually read a thread before posting to it? I already stated that part was a joke, to start the thread off.
edit on 24-9-2012 by magickmaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

still dosent count out the fact ive had to have this argument with people, sorry for tainting your thread ms

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

You can see Venus and Jupiter, but they are different.

Jupiter is always illuminated, unless hidden behind the Sun. This is because its orbit is outside that of Earth's orbit. Therefore, at night, you are seeing Jupiter reflecting the Sun off the entire half that you are seeing.

Venus is a bit different. You will never see Venus fully lit up, because it is interior of Earth's orbit. This means that at different points throughout the years, as Venus and Earth move in relative position, the appearance of Venus will go from something like an almost full gibbous, to a "new moon", and back to an almost full gibbous.

The reflectivity and other qualities of the materials that make up the planets affect diffraction and reflectivity levels of photons too.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloro

and you actually believe this?

haha, just kiddin'

Thanks for the info.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
The other day, there was someone posting who thought the moon showed its other hemisphere towards earth during a new moon..... and was vehemently attempting to defend it. It is further evidence of a troubling trend. In May, the results of the last National Science Exam were released:

National tests measuring science knowledge among eighth-graders show slight improvement compared with those of two years earlier,but one-third of all students still lack a basic understanding of the physical, life and earth sciences, according to a federal study made public Thursday.

Source: The Washington Post

That means 33% of the younger generation will most likely be unable to contribute to the knowledge of the world going forward, if that trend continues. Not only that, but the system allows most of them to graduate anyway.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

Welcome to the New Dark Ages.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join