It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What musical instrument would you choose to enjoy and to express yourself with?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
At times when I watch and listen to a classical music concert I envy some of those performers with their instrument. Wish I could play an instrument like they do...

Sometimes you can see that these people are able to play the most beautiful music with their eyes closed. Especially the soloists have mastered their instrument at such a level that they are able to connect with the "story" told on the sheet music and use their instrument as a tool. as it were a medium between their soul and the "outside" world.

Being able to express yourself in such a way must be a wondeful experiance.

Not only a violin or a piano would be an instrument of choice, being able to express myself with a guitar will also do.

How about you...? What instrument would you choose, to enjoy and express yourself with?

edit on 24/9/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The Triangle's third harmonic always gets me.. Every time...

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
i used to play the trumpet in school, really wish i would have stayed up on it, also would love to be able to play saxophone. Hearing actual instruments in music is awesome! sick of synthesized computer crap. Lot of emotion can come out in music playing a brass, wind, or string instrument.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This is so easy.... COWBELL!

I gotta fever, and the perscription is MORE COWBELL!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Organ

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Piano without a doubt. Although I'd prefer a Midi Keyboard and FL Studio, being able to put a whole song together expressing yourself, using only a Keyboard is interesting and fun.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

I play a few things. Guitar, Bouzouki, Autoharp, still practising on my Banjo I get on with stringed, plucked instruments better then any other (I tried to play Clarinet for a while and it didnt go well
)

I think I have an affinity for "folk" type instruments and ones that can be taken with me if I travel, so a Piano or a full sized Harp is out.

I would like to get my hands on a Mountain Dulcimer next, think they have a really pretty sound but they arent exactly common in the uk .

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Flute ♫..♫..♪♪

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
In school many many years ago, I wanted to play the Oboe but since we were short that year on brass I ended up playing a Cornet. In the years since I bought an Oboe but it just collected dust until I gave it away.

These days I have a Yamaha Keyboard/Digital Synthesizer I break out occasionally.

I have a Banjo I acquired after I saw Earl Scruggs playing one on The Beverly Hillbillies. Kinda naive of me to think I could learn to play like that. It's harder than it looks.

The one I would like to own and play would be a Glass Armonica if only for the lovely haunting sounds that can be coached out of it.

I may be dating myself but I rather enjoyed the ethereal sounds of a Theremin. I remember it being used on several sci-fi shows. My Keyboard doesn't quite sound the same.

But like anything else, if you want to be good at something you have to practice, practice, practice and these days it is hard to find the time

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I'd choose my piano who sounds something like this,

well approximately...

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Piano

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Piano is great, especially in a completely dark room, maybe just the glow from a stick of frankincense in one corner. Sounds different when there's nothing to distract you. Would like to do that with my guitar as well but I keep hitting the wrong frets.

Violin is wonderful and I'd love to play at least decently well but to be honest I'm woeful at it. All the same it's fun to try.

CX

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Banjo all the way for me.

Always loved the music, bought myself a five string open back a few months back and although it does take some learning, i'm getting there. I'm trying to learn both styles, but is my aim is to master.clawhammer.

Am even building myself a porch in the back of the garden to play on, i like to think it will be my little Appalachia

CX.

CX

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

I would like to get my hands on a Mountain Dulcimer next, think they have a really pretty sound but they arent exactly common in the uk .

Mountain dulcimers sound great in the right hands, i taught myself the guitar a year ago and am really enjoying it (acoustic), i guess that would be my primary instrument that i play so to speak, but the banjo is the one i want to nail.

Got a baritone uke recently and thats a lot of fun, nicer to play than the little soprano and not so small and fiddly. Easy to travel with too.

I'd love a really old banjo, that deep, choppy, plunky sound just does it for me every time. Maybe a mountain banjo is on the cards at some point....oh yeah, the cello banjos sound great too.

Far too many instruments for my wallet to take in.

CX.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I play guitar, but not as good as I would like it to be. I guess that I need more talent or practise. After enjoying a wonderful classical concert I wanted to play violin. Knowing there are strings involved and where to put my fingers on the fretboard of a guitar should give me an advantage to play the instrument...so I thought.

How wrong was I when I realised that a violin has no frets. To squeez out the right tone I need to place my fingers precisely on the violin fretboard. Unfortunately there are no frets on a violin to help me out. That was a miscalculation in my expected learning curve. In my experiance it is harder to learn the basics on a violin than a guitar.

Anyways,..trying to express oneself with an instrument is good for a persons well-being...so me thinks. More people should try it..making music is even more fun with friends.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
drums for me.

its actually the only instrument i like for playing.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
the computer is my musical instrument I use to express myself right now

soundcloud.com...

Musically i'm all over the place all of the time.
One day i'm working on a cello piece, the next metal or psychedelic electronic,
whatever I feel like. i'm not bound by style or genre.

I can play guitar, bass, drums and piano but I don't much anymore.
I'm mostly working on finding new sounds and working on new original music.
edit on 24-9-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I play both the piano and the guitar, but would love to have a go at playing the double bass, the people who play them are brilliant......................In fact now this thread has been made I may even look into having a go now....damn you, something else to put on my list of things to do..............cheers

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I play trap-set drums. However, I prefer to express myself with hand drums like djembe, balafon, and congas. Give me the whole percussion ensemble! I especially love timpanis (kettle drums, they are sometimes called.) That was always my favorite spot to play in percussion class.

However, I think piano is the greatest instrument of self-expression in the music room. I wish I had the patience to master it.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I've played guitar and bass now for almost 30 years, damn time flies, I think I'm fairly good but not as good as I'd liked to have been at this stage. But now I'm not chasing fame and fortune, lol, playing in bands anymore I'm satisfied with my ability, I've mastered rhythm playing but my soloing lacks....something? What I've never been able to get a grasp on is writing melodies, I can put a rhythm section to a melody, but if only I could write that unforgettable melody.

I wish I'd took the time to learn piano also, very useful instrument to know.

But neither guitar nor piano compare to playing a classical, or brass, instrument, now they take real dedication to master. I Tried violin once, and only once. Tried the saxophone for awhile but that's tough to play, and it's loud, no hiding how crap you are lol. Performance anxiety? Forget it.

But I like guitars, they just look right, right?

edit on 9/25/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join