It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS i REALLY need your help please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Hi guys i really need some help right now

I'll explain the situation i'm in after if required/asked of

I need to know whether there is a way that i can PROVE, that my comp has a synchronisation issue with time & date!

My clock on my comp over the past few months has randomly changed i'm not sure when, possibly after installing windows updates,

Sometimes it goes wayyyy out of wack and is blatantly obvious that the time is wrong sometime it just goes 30 minutes to an hour or two back/forward,

I have also noticed i have not been able to get virus definition sets/updates for the past week or so either, when i try update it says please check your clock/date but when i reset it, i still can't update?, sometimes after its set back to normal it goes much slower than any other and ends up gradually going out of sync

Basically i need to prove my comp has these issues but i don't know how to go about it, is there a way i can prove my comp has these issues?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TritonTaranis

Change the battery on your mobo.

There is a battery that comes installed, it helps keep the memory of the bios which includes the time and date, if its bad, your computer wont keep track of time properly.

It looks like a watch battery
edit on 24-9-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The number of most of those batteries is 2032.
Good luck.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

There is a battery that comes installed, it helps keep the memory of the bios which includes the time and date, if its bad, your computer wont keep track of time properly.

Mobo?

I have desktop PC

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Mobo = Motherboard

You may also want have your system sync to an open NTP server.
There are hundreds available.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TritonTaranis

Mobo?

I have desktop PC

Sorry tech speak, Mother board as the person above stated.

You have a motherboard inside that desktop, its the large plate that everything is sticking out of, all the wires and ram, etc.

Take it to someone, or have a friend who knows about PC put a new battery in, another poster above listed the number of the battery you need.

By the battery, and don't let anyone charge you more than 50 bucks (even thats excessive) to install it for you.

Id seriously just ask around your friends, someone should know how to put it in.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Mobo?

I have desktop PC

You have a motherboard inside that desktop, its the large plate that everything is sticking out of, all the wires and ram, etc.

Take it to someone, or have a friend who knows about PC put a new battery in, another poster above listed the number of the battery you need.

By the battery, and don't let anyone charge you more than 50 bucks (even thats excessive) to install it for you.

Id seriously just ask around your friends, someone should know how to put it in.

And is there a way someone can test these batteries to see if they're faulty ?

This would be awesome then i could PROVE something

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

It's like a two dollar battery.
Once you replace it you will see that your time slip problems are fixed.
Promise!

edit on 24-9-2012 by tvtexan because: (no reason given)

link   

Hi op,

Sounds a bit suspicious that not only is your time going out of whack , you can't get update definitions either.

Find a good scanner like malwarebytes or spybot search and destroy and just confirm that it's not a virus causing these issues.

link   

Mobo?

I have desktop PC

This would be awesome then i could PROVE something

Im gonna be honest with you, Nothing is going on, your battery is dead, get it replaced, the battery it self is like 10 bucks.

its not a hard repair it just takes some knowledge, go to your PC manufacturers website, and look for the tech support docs, the instructions should tell you how to replace that part.

AT the very worst you may have a virus but I doubt that, could be the synchronization settings are not set up right as well, or its the battery.

Ive worked PC repair for over ten years, and I have seen all kinds of crazy misconceptions that get cleared up with a little knowledge.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chenbo

Hi op,

Sounds a bit suspicious that not only is your time going out of whack , you can't get update definitions either.

Find a good scanner like malwarebytes or spybot search and destroy and just confirm that it's not a virus causing these issues.

Once i reset the time & date i can get updates, sometime one or the other goes out

I just need to prove this happened really lol long story,

i have screen grabs i'll post later

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Cool. If your confident it's not a virus , as other members mentioned check your clock settings.

Make sure your in the correct time zone and that the box is checked for daylight savings. Also that it synchronizes on a regular basis.

If that fails change the battery, and good luck.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

You can learn quite a bit about computers by using Google Search.

This eHow article will help you prove, or disprove, that the battery is the problem.

I agree with the other posters about replacing the battery. Your problems are normally the first indications of a weak CMOS battery.

See ya,
Milt

new topics

top topics

join