It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State's first case of 'zombie bees' reported in Kent

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

State's first case of 'zombie bees' reported in Kent

seattletimes.com

The first confirmed case of "zombie bees" in Washington state has been found by a Kent beekeeper. Discovered in California in 2008, the bees are infected by a parasitic fly that causes the bees to lurch around erratically before dropping dead.

Mark Hohn didn't pay much attention to the dead bees scattered outside his shop when he got home from vacation a few weeks ago. He just pulled out a leaf blower and blasted away the mess.

It took him a few days to realize he had an invasion of the living dead on his hands.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

www.zombeewatch.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">https:

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Engineered Parasite that Turns Entire Colonies of Honeybees into ZOMBIES: Monsanto?

Monsanto - Bayer Engineering Death: Bees, Bats and You?
edit on 24-9-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I believe the term "Zombie Bees" to be a little over the top but nonetheless this appears to be a serious parasite that certain honey bee populations are dealing with.

The parasite is called "Apocephalus borealis" and may be one of the major causes of Colony Collapse Disorder that has been in the news quite often over the last few years.

The fact that this parasite is spreading is not good news and I hope it's not an indication of future widespread infections as I was under the impression that this was now starting to get under control.

As Albert Einstein said: "If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe then man would only have four years of life left".

First off let's hope that bees don't disappear, but second, let's hope Einstein was wrong even though he was probably bang on with his prediction.

seattletimes.com

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I think i just solved unemployment.

Everyone grab your feather dusters and start pollinating crops, cause otherwise we are screwed.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Off topic:
Zombie Bees!

Almost sounds like the name of a punk rock band or something.

On topic:
I had not heard of this before. I recall a thread a few days back regarding the pesticides and what not causing the death of many colonies, the actions of these bees seem very similar.

One things for sure, we will be totally screwed if we can't get a handle on this.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
In the early days of the Hive collapse phenomenon bees were studies extensively to identify any parasitic, infection, or toxicity issues to account for the the sudden (as in nearly "overnight") loss of entire hives.

No consistent answers were ever reported to account for this. Parasitic infections, toxicology reports, and all manner of biological testing produced no answers. This particular parasite now being discussed would have been identified a decade ago had it been present - I think.

I suspect this is a new threat to hives. Perhaps one of many, as naturally evolved systems are subjected to increasingly new 'adjustments' made to nature by agro and chemical .industries intent on monopolizing anything they can.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan
Off topic:
Zombie Bees!

Almost sounds like the name of a punk rock band or something.

On topic:
I had not heard of this before. I recall a thread a few days back regarding the pesticides and what not causing the death of many colonies, the actions of these bees seem very similar.

One things for sure, we will be totally screwed if we can't get a handle on this.

Off topic: Love the new avatar
!

On topic:

I have never heard of this before either and it does sound rather dangerous, and not only because of the outrageous nickname the parasite has been given. One thing for sure is that this parasite has the potential to cause a lot of harm if we cannot find a way to get a handle on this.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I don't know if this is related at all, but I have recently had some encounters with swarms of bees.

Overall, I know swarms of bees are not that rare. Most people just don't come across them.
But over the last 3 - 4 weeks I have driven or ran through 3 swarms of bees.
This morning was weird, I was on my morning run, and I came across a swarm on the ground in the middle of my running path. Several hundred bees, maybe a thousand. I didn't stop to count
just doing bee stuff there on the ground.
Somehow I have not been stung at all, but this is starting to get odd.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
um...

"Zombies Bees" ???

Such a transparent attempt at instilling fear in those that are still in the misguided following of the MSM.

No offense to the OP as you are just reporting what is printed but to those that are eating this up...shame on you.

Peace

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Just to be clear, I made sure to make a distinct clarification that the mainstream name of this parasite was over the top, but the real name is "Apocephalus borealis" and appears to be very real. Perhaps it is some type of agenda driven fear mongering by the MSM but I highly doubt that.

The bees are dying off, and we may now finally be in the beginning stages of figuring out why.

Try to read past the sensationalistic part of the nick name and look into the actual parasite, what it does, and the links that explain it. I am quite certain that you will appreciate this news once it is properly looked into as I believe this would be a topic that would interest you judging by previous interactions.

Peace.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Well, I live in Skagit County, about an hour or less from Kent, WA and this does not excite me.

People from other States probably don't realize how much farming still happens here in Washington. We are one of the largest Apple producers in the country (maybe the world?), as well as Hops, corn, hay, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and many other produce. If this parasite destroys a significant amount of the bee population it may have a very widely felt impact.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Insidious plan by Monsanto to kill off the bees so you have no choice but to eat GMO? Also, I hate to disagree with you, but, Einstein most likely didn't say anything about bees.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Einstein never actually said that...but as the linked article states, doesn't do away with the threat the loss of bees would have.

I for one have a difficult time fully blaming a parasite that has probably been around longer than us despite this so called recent discovery. Not to say this parasite isn't exasperating bee colony collapse but human population growth is one of the biggest contributors in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
If the Einstein quote is in fact untrue then I apologize for including it in my OP as I always believed it to be true, thank you for pointing me in a direction where I can research and see if this was actually true or not as I am the first to say that you cannot believe everything you hear. It's just I have heard this quote so many times that I assumed it to be true,

My intention was not to mislead any members so I apologize if I did.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Forgive me but my vision is currently blurry, could you please post the exact external context that proves Einstein never made that quote?

All I saw were references to other articles that lead to other articles.

Thanks,

Cheers.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Normally I would be delighted to oblige your request but I am on my mobile and posting links comes with more effort on an android phone than it does my PC. I can however start you or anyone off in the right direction though. Google Einstein bee four years quote maybe add fake or authenticity etc.

Mind you, pointing it out wasn't a shot at you...I originally heard the alleged quote the first time in the movie The Happening, I think. Sometime after I heard he never actually said it and researched enough to convince myself that was indeed the case. Just passing on the info. The link I posted above happened to be the first one under a Snopes link...to be truthful I merely skimmed the summary and went on luck that it would contain enough info.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Hey thanks for the clarification

I know all about the difficulties about posting on a mobile so no worries man.

And don't worry I did not consider it as a shot against me, if I quote incorrect info I expect to be corrected as I would rather not peddle false information so I will look into the leads you gave me and certainly make sure to keep an open mind,and thanks again

There is nothing wrong with being wrong as long as you are willing to admit it

It's the jerks who get proven wrong and won't admit it that grind my gears.

Sorry for off topic post guys

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

I believe the term "Zombie Bees" to be a little over the top but nonetheless this appears to be a serious parasite that certain honey bee populations are dealing with.

The parasite is called "Apocephalus borealis" and may be one of the major causes of Colony Collapse Disorder that has been in the news quite often over the last few years.

The fact that this parasite is spreading is not good news and I hope it's not an indication of future widespread infections as I was under the impression that this was now starting to get under control.

As Albert Einstein said: "If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe then man would only have four years of life left".

First off let's hope that bees don't disappear, but second, let's hope Einstein was wrong even though he was probably bang on with his prediction.

seattletimes.com

If the bee disappeared you'd have less than 4 years, you'd only have about 1.5 years. Without a way to pollinate crops all the food would be used up in about a year, about 3 weeks after that people start dying off en masse. Seeing people eating grass and bark would look pretty normal.
edit on 24-9-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
As a Newb beekeeper I had not heard of this before. From my research CCD Colony collapse is due to several factors; being commercial bee keeping practices conducive to the beekeeper but not the bees. Such as trucking bees across country to pollinate crops, treating them for mites and foul brood with chemicals and antibiotics, opening the hive sometimes weekly to check and treat destroying their temperature maintenance, taking all their honey reserves and feeding them sugar water through the winter. Neonicotinoids pesticides sprayed on crops, and GMO crops that have altered the nectar and pollen the bees collect and process thanks to Monsanto and companies like them, and varoa mites.

There is a growing movement toward natural beekeeping as the means of fighting this. Natural beekeepers are not having these problems like commercial beekeepers.

Bees are wonderfully resilient and adaptable creatures but I feel it has just reached a critical mass in stressing them out and tearing down their immunity that we have lost 50% of the bees.

This is just another threat on top of all the others that we don't need... Have to look into how to fight this now... Hopefully natural beekeeping is the answer to this also.
edit on 24-9-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join