It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead Man's Cigarette

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
(Had errands to run today. It was cold and rainy. With the radio off and a 45 minute trip, my mind wandered and came up with this little story. Early for Halloween but my first attempt at a real ghost story. I hope you all enjoy)

Dead Man's Cigarette

DeSalvo walked into the hotel lobby and smiled as he spoke to the clerk behind the counter. He held his briefcase in one hand and received his message in another. He then thanked the young clerk and walked to the bank of elevators where one took him to his room.

DeSalvo entered his room, checked for any intrusions while he was out, secured the door and sat down. He picked up the phone and dialed a direct line. He waited for the answering machine to turn on with "Hi! You reached Kevin and Dorothy, please leave a number and we'll get back to you when we can"and said, "Hi honey, the works all done here. Will be home tomorrow."

DeSalvo then returned the phone to it's cradle. He knew no Dorothy. He wasn't Kevin, and he wasn't calling home. This was the way his employer wanted to communicate when he was out on a job. DeSalvo was a killer. A corporate assassin used to give the edge to certain firms when mergers were involved.

DeSalvo placed the briefcase on the bed and opened it to go through the items taken from the man that he made very dead just an hour ago. The papers, items in his wallet, all went into a portable shredder. The money, he placed into his wallet. The only items left were a small leather pouch and a silver cigarette case. He opened the pouch and sniffed the rich tobacco blend inside. Nodding in appreciation, he closed the pouch and tossed it into the wastepaper bin next to the hotel desk. Opening the case, he found a single cigarette.
Picking it up, he placed it in his mouth and took a box of matches from the ashtray. He loved the old european hotels. Smoking was still alright, just as long as you avoided the newer chains that have infested the grander european market.

DeSalvo called down to room service and ordered breakfast for the morning. He then called the front desk and asked for a cab to the airport and to let them know that he'd be checking out in the am.
Finishing the cigarette, DeSalvo undressed and went to bed.

In the morning he woke, showered and shaved, took his breakfast in his room and ate quickly. He finished packing and headed downstairs to the lobby and the waiting cab.

When he approached the desk he said My bill please. What came out of his mouth was, "I killed Nikolai Lejewski." The clerk, a young woman, looked at him in shock. DeSalvo coughed, and said, "I'm sorry. What I meant to say was, I killed Nikolai Lejewski". The clerk backed up a step.

DeSalvo frowned, coughed again, and said, "No! I meant to say that I killed Nikolai Lejewski. I stabbed him in the stomach, and while he lay bleeding, cut out his eyes and only when he started screaming did I stab him in the throat. Slowly."

The clerk ran away to a back room as DeSalvo oughed some more. It was a wet cough, mushy sounding that brought up a frothy mixture of saliva and blood. DeSalvo slowly slid down the front of the reception desk, staring at the other guests who stared back in shock. As blood poured out of his nose, mouth, and repeatedly coughing he asked for an ambulance, he asked for help, he asked for forgiveness.

What came out, with a spray of blood was, "I just killed Nikolai Lejewski" over and over again.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Just wanted to give it a bump. I didn't think it was all that bad.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Sounds like the killer had one smoke too many...and some revenge from the dead.

Another great story Beezzer!

S&F

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
reply to post by beezzer

Sounds like the killer had one smoke too many...and some revenge from the dead.

Another great story Beezzer!

S&F

Thanks.

Been busy writing, sometimes a short story just feels right to release. I never know how one will be received though.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Been busy writing, sometimes a short story just feels right to release. I never know how one will be received though.

Nicely done.
A little trouble toward the end, but still creepy. I mean, let's face it, I'd be screaming long before the second eye.

I think the short stories get overlooked, out of proportion, because they land on the second page of the "Short Stories" forum the very second you post them (if it isn't entered into a contest etc).. Who goes there to read?

In my case, it's just as well though. Sometimes I make the dumb decision to post silly poetry, and it rarely comes back to haunt me.

Oh yea, you owe my dog Baron an apology.. I've been calling him Beez for like a month... idiot.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by lernmore

Originally posted by beezzer

Nicely done.
A little trouble toward the end, but still creepy. I mean, let's face it, I'd be screaming long before the second eye.

I think the short stories get overlooked, out of proportion, because they land on the second page of the "Short Stories" forum the very second you post them (if it isn't entered into a contest etc).. Who goes there to read?

In my case, it's just as well though. Sometimes I make the dumb decision to post silly poetry, and it rarely comes back to haunt me.

Oh yea, you owe my dog Baron an apology.. I've been calling him Beez for like a month... idiot.

Thanks for reading it! And I agree, I may have to take a closer look because there are probably some great stories that get overlooked.
edit on 24-9-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

I do. Lots of good stuff to read, knowing that they will be stored there "forever!" lets me savor each one slowly. I never get bored. Ever. It's like reading an unpublished anthology. Yummy!

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

The Halloween contest this year will definitely be interesting, with you scrawling off quick stories like that. Well done.

And, uhm, I didn't find this one digging back in the SS forum. I found the link from your sig. Unfortunately, my OCD is bothering me, and you need an apostrophe REALLY BADLY in you sig link. I had to check an make sure the title was spelled right, and it was, then I had to go back to check the sig. Did it twice, then three times. I thought maybe my display wasn't rendering properly, or something, but had to finally admit to myself that you had made a grammatical error.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Correction made and thanks for reading!

Yours is a valued opinion.

ETA; my sig block won't take apostrophies.
edit on 26-9-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

top topics

join