It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

life after school...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 07:37 AM
link   
ok, now, i have a delima ive been facing for the past year. its about my life after school. i have the knowlege and potential to become a scientist or doctor of some sort, and a job like that would be very honorable in the society and it would be well paying. but on the other hand i also want to become a massage theripist or physical theripist and continue to study anything that tickles my intellectual curiosity. being a doctor would more than likley tie me down to a certain job or study, but if i were to become a physical theripist of some sort id have time to do studys here and there and still get paid quite well. basically my question is which would be the wiser raod to choose? the doctor or "freedom", thats how i feel about it, free to still do things i want...

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 07:39 AM
link   
why don`t you try taking a year out before settling down to one thing. It may let you find the focus you need to find the right path. If not it`ll at least let you have some fun.

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 07:41 AM
link   
one year break...ooh...not a good choise, most people who take one year breaks usually never continue school after that.....

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Do what YOU think would bring you most happiness

There's good money to be made in physical therapy/massage therapy and less stress involved and more independence..whereas there is GREAT money and alot of time invested in becoming and attaining that "Dr" in front of your name
I would follow your heart here...both are great goals/dreams
Good luck in your future
Magestica

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 02:59 PM
link   
according to your profile, you're not old enough to make a decision about the future that'll stick. I don't mean that condecendingly at all. I remember when I was 16 and applying to colleges and driving myself nuts trying to decide what I wanted to do with my life. I was dead-set on going into computer engineering...and then I got to college and realized I was absolutely horrible at higher math. whoops. I did a total 180 and now I'm going into a career in the media. things can change a lot in 5 years, they did for me
we all eventually land up on the path we're supposed to be traveling.

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Hehe I too am in the media MorningtonCrescent, and I began my college career pre-med.
Don't worry Captian, you still have a year or two in college to decide, pre-med and physical therapist follow the same basics the first two years.

K_OS

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by captain terrific
one year break...ooh...not a good choise, most people who take one year breaks usually never continue school after that.....

Hmmm.. where did you hear that captn?

Taking a year out is a great idea, that gives you the chance to experience life, maybe travel, maybe work, and will put things in a better perspective.

Actually the older you are when you enter college the better you perform. You are not swamped with all the pressures to conform to others - ie: parties, booze, etc, and can concentrate on your work.

You also are more focused and are more aware of the privilige you have at being able to study instead of having to work at MacD's. As a result your marks will be higer and you will have a clearer plan for what you want to do.

Take some time out, the worst thing that will happen to you is that you you might find ANOTHER thing you would like to do.

Try something different, go overseas, see the world, be an exchange student, do some charity work, don't spend all the time in a low paying job, the experiences will help you later in life.

[Edited on 29-4-2003 by Netchicken]

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 03:47 PM
link   
"one year break...ooh...not a good choise, most people who take one year breaks usually never continue school after that....."

Rubbish, thats what you are told to think. I know people who have successfully had a year off, I know people who have had several years off before going to university. I know people who have successfully done anyone of a number of things before going. There is nothing to say you have to drop out unless you think you are that weak willed.

new topics

top topics

join