It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto Charged with Chemical Poisoning

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

Its all explained really well in that video, which is a good place to jump off into your own research.

I disagree that it was explained well in the video. They go in with an already biased view, have 2 people from each side argue, do a couple of taste tests in an uncontrolled enviorment, then say "we're #ing right". Very thourogh analysis (but not really).

Oh, and not to mention that they try to find the nuttiest, stoner seeming people to advocate for organics. Why not get a couple that won't be viewed as a fruitloop?
edit on 24-9-2012 by AngryAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AngryAlien

I disagree that it was explained well in the video. They go in with an already biased view, have 2 people from each side argue, do a couple of taste tests in an uncontrolled enviorment, then say "we're #ing right". Very thourogh analysis (but not really).

I said it was a good point to start with. And those taste test do show that people, for the most part, cant even tell the difference.

There are a ton of other sources you can consult when making an opinion, other than penn and teller. Just a least try to find out if they have a point or not, before saying that they do not.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AngryAlien

Oh, and not to mention that they try to find the nuttiest, stoner seeming people to advocate for organics.

You would find live more revealing if you did not prejudice people on there looks and instead listened to what they say....

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadeWolf

Or maybe you're too blind to realize that human advancement has continually meant raising ourselves above what is "natural

Please be kind enough to explain to me how we as humans can exist outside the remit of nature....Can you give me examples of our unnatural abilities..... At best all we do is mimic nature in no way do we superseded her. We exist within the confines of physics trapped within a biological self. There is nothing unnatural about us. It is an illeness of our society to put ourselves above nature....
edit on 24-9-2012 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by steppenwolf86
reply to post by purplemer

Grow everything organically and watch the world starve, not just the poor countries.

if we have to grow food with brain killing chemicals to have enough then some population needs to go we are to many for the planet!
There are many non harmful methods of growing crops. Many organic sprays that do work and if it were not about $$ they would have developed all those available into working pesticides.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Grow everything organically and watch the world starve, not just the poor countries.

Not sure you are right on that one... The U.S. alone throws away 40% of all food produced.. We are a horribly fat nation. So if the nation on average ate 10% less and we stopped wasting food. We could still be fat and we could over feed another 350 million people. We went from feeding ourselves with 80% of the population growing food (organically) to buying our food( if you can call it that) at super markets with 3% of the population growing it. Maybe we need to gradually work our way back to growing real food for ourselves.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
reply to post by UdonNiedtuno

(pesticides approved for use on "organically grown" produce are generally much less toxic to you and the environment than their conventional counterparts)

Actually, pesticides used in "organic" food are devised from "natural" sources rather than the "synthetic" sources that are otherwise used. That is the dividing line.

Believe it or not, more often "natural" pesticides are more toxic than the synthetic counterparts. This is because synthetic ones are designed to do some things while not doing others.

Its all explained really well in that video, which is a good place to jump off into your own research.

Please provide an example wherein the "natural" pesticide approved for use in "organic" agriculture is more toxic than it's conventional counterpart (counterpart meaning - that pesticide most commonly used for the same purpose in conventional farming).

PS: I've asked this question several times and I've yet to receive a qualifying answer...so thank you in advance if you get me an actual example...

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Couple things.

Depopulation Agenda that is ENTIRELY REAL IT IS NOT CONSPIRACY ALL THE DOCUMENTS ARE WITHIN THE REALM OF THE PUBLIC

The Fact that our planet can support about 10-15 billion people before it starts to get cramped
and even then there is plenty of food

Just watch the fat cats BURNING food because that is the present mandage from corporations such as Monsanto

Lets not forget about killing livestock because they are in the wrong place.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Ericthenewbie

Every night at the local Tim Horton's donut shop at around 2 or 3 am in the morning, all of the unsold donuts are tossed out. Tim Horton's corporate policy will not allow them to be given away, or sold at a discount, or donated to the local retirement homes, or donated to local food banks. There are only maybe 4 or 5 dozen donuts and a dozen bagels but seriously, that would at least put a smile on a few dozen old people's faces that have to live on cat food and water. Stupid efin' corporate policies of waste. If you don't already have a reason to hate Tim Horton's, there's one for you.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 9/24.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

Couple of things;

I actually have a friend who works at Tim Horton's and although your understanding of their corporate policy is pretty accurate, you missed one key aspect of it, they do allow those donuts, bagels etc etc. to go home with the employees at the end of their shifts. My friend and her coworkers take all the "throw away" stuff home, split it up and then disperse it amongst their friends and family. I can say this as I currently have a dozen muffins, a bag of bagels, some tea biscuits and a tub of their chili in my freezer!

Oh I almost forgot to mention the Timmy's she works at is open 24hrs and although they don't openly advertise it, they allow a couple of the local homeless people to stay inside their store at night to keep warm and most of the staff will shoot them a coffee or tea if they just keep to themselves and don't bother any of the other customers). Pretty considerate and noble thing of them to do in my opinion.

I would rather have a Timmy's coffee instead of an overpriced Starbucks any day of the week! Mind you Micky D's has really stepped it up with their coffee too.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ericthenewbie

Couple of things;

I actually have a friend who works at Tim Horton's and although your understanding of their corporate policy is pretty accurate, you missed one key aspect of it, they do allow those donuts, bagels etc etc. to go home with the employees at the end of their shifts. My friend and her coworkers take all the "throw away" stuff home, split it up and then disperse it amongst their friends and family. I can say this as I currently have a dozen muffins, a bag of bagels, some tea biscuits and a tub of their chili in my freezer!

Oh I almost forgot to mention the Timmy's she works at is open 24hrs and although they don't openly advertise it, they allow a couple of the local homeless people to stay inside their store at night to keep warm and most of the staff will shoot them a coffee or tea if they just keep to themselves and don't bother any of the other customers). Pretty considerate and noble thing of them to do in my opinion.

I would rather have a Timmy's coffee instead of an overpriced Starbucks any day of the week! Mind you Micky D's has really stepped it up with their coffee too.

It's good to know that at least one of the Tim Horton's is doing something positive, so I applaud the one in your area and it appears to be the policy exception. The one near me is way outside of any main population centre and is also open 24 hours, but the policy is that all donuts, bagels and other product not sold by 3 am are thrown out and this seems to be the typical policy at Tim Horton's and I do end up at a lot of them very late at night because my wife likes their coffee. If companies like this had a better policy, there might be at least a little less waste in the world.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 9/24.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

do you get checks in the mail, or is it direct deposit?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

I would be more worried about groundwater contamination than I would be of pesticide residue left on food. Neither here nor there, famine or decimation of crops by pests is just as troubling. So what's the answer?

The problem is that when vegetables soak up the water, they soak up the pesticides as well. GM crops are created so that the pesticide has no effect on it, allowing it to be healthy with an otherwise toxic load of pesticde inside it.

When you buy the vegetable and wash it, you only wash what is on the outside. There is no possible way to get rid of pesticides taken into the plants through the watering process. That is why the combination of GM plants and pesticides is so harmful.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

Monsanto Charged with Chemical Poisoning

www.care2.com

t’s not every day that we learn about a victory for Mother Earth. But thanks to a 47-year old farmer and a French court there has been a victory against U.S. biotechnology giant Monsanto. And, I’d say that’s a triumph for Mother Earth as well. The company lost a court battle earlier this year and was charged as guilty of chemical poisoning. This judgment could lend credence to other health claims against Monsanto and pesticides in general.

(visit the link for the full news article)

This is great news. A court ruling! Now its legit and no longer a conspiracy theory, according to the sheeple!!!

Snark!

Snark!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by steppenwolf86

Tell that to Cuba and Venezuela.

I went to a village in Morocco that for thousands of years lived off humanure compost organic food.

Read F. H. King's 40 centuries of Farming -- the world has fed itself with organic farming for a long time.

The problem with non-organic food is that it lacks the nutrients -- micronutrients.

Myths about industrial agriculture Organic farming is the "only way to produce food" without harming the planet and people's health.

The reason the world is starving is from neocolonial genocide -- using food as a weapon.

Cargill: Our Taxes, Global Destruction! World's largest private corporation in the world is a food commodities corporation that relies on food as a weapon.
edit on 24-9-2012 by fulllotusqigong because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I dumpster dived food for 10 years.

I also worked in a produce warehouse and the owner got caught shipping coc aine up in the bananas -- I think mafia connections - he got a slap on the wrist apparently. I sent him a letter saying instead of throwing out all that good produce I used to see go to waste he could donate it to a local shelter for a tax deduction and for good p.r. He took up the deal.

When I worked in the new $50 million business "temple of greed" school at the U of Wisconsin I was in the new dining hall and I gave all the left over food to the local homeless shelter. They all came into the new fancy Business school dining hall to eat -- in this new dining hall that tried to be all fancy. I think the city shut down or moved the shelter.

Humanare composting is the next big return to growing food self-sufficiently. It's called Ecological Sanitation and is promoted by the Swedish Environment Institute -

edit on 25-9-2012 by fulllotusqigong because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

In Brazil it's now illegal for the rich to sit idle on their land after 7 years without growing food on it.

The same is now true in Venezuela.

The world can no longer afford spoiled lazy rich people using land for speculation.

The same is true about suburban sprawl destroying good farm land.

The Twin Cities Minnesota has a new program to grow fruit trees on public land and donated private land and the produce is given out to those who need it for free.

Food is a human right.

It's easy to support local farmers through "farm to school" programs and other government buying programs supporting organic produce instead of oil-based monocultural farming.

The Universities are corrupt and taken over by imperial food policies like the U of MN passing Title XII every year to support the Cold War food as a imperial weapon.

Monsanto was told by a U of MN researcher - "for enough money we can make soybeans as big as basketballs."

So independent scientists are now rare -- the masses have been guinea pigs -- like Monsantos rBGH synthetic growth hormone milk that is a carcinogen.

50% of sweet corn now is genetic engineered and the root worm is already resistant to Monsanto's G.E. corn - and so more and more pesticides have to be used by the farmers.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Naw there would just be less fly soup for the poor countries.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Great thread, you got my first flag and a star! It's about time someone stepped up to these guys and took them down a notch. I've heard nothing but bad things about them since I was in high school 15 years ago, and the news has only gotten worse over the years. Looking forward to see what effect this will have down the line.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by fulllotusqigong

Composting is very important, there's not enough of it going on, on a commercial level. But what really pisses me off is this Monsanto crap (got a little sidetracked earlier because someone mentioned wasted food). I was an R&D engineer at one point for a hydroponics and zero-g aeroponics company where I developed commercial growbots. I am still an R&D engineer but I am working on a medical and alternative energy projects right now. I had this really cutesy idea that we could take the technology I developed for automated agriculture and throw it into indoor roof spaces in grocery stores and grow an awful lot of the produce right above everyone's heads. No shipping, major water reclamation and organic waste composting all in one location with sales one floor down. Same-day-fresh vegies and some fruits and herbs.

You know what the problems were? It would have starved a lot of big corporations because there was no pesticide, no toxic chemicals, no anti-fungals, no maintenance for trucks, no diesel or gasoline for delivery, reduced water consumption just to piss off the local utility company, reduced sewage use due to lower water use which also pissed off the local utility company, reduced taxes, a reduced ability to track product and of course, the whole process was fully organic but cost half the price.

It wasn't that it was a bad idea for local business or local purchasers, it was a bad idea for corporations and multinationals in the petroleum, trucking and chemical.GMO companies. Because of these potential losses for others, the government reduced our funding and then when they figured out the actual impact at the CRA, they killed the funding altogether. Two million dollars in research invested and we were waiting on a 35% SR&ED that the CRA nickeled and dime'd down to $110,000 so all that could be paid off were the initial investors, not enough left over to build the commercial units or do the marketing.

All these @sshats are in bed together to stop us from doing the smart thing and the right thing, while they tell us they are doing the right thing, but only for the larger corporations interests. Government is not our friend, they are quite simply whores in bed with the enemy.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 9/25.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join