It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto Charged with Chemical Poisoning

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+40 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Monsanto Charged with Chemical Poisoning

www.care2.com

t’s not every day that we learn about a victory for Mother Earth. But thanks to a 47-year old farmer and a French court there has been a victory against U.S. biotechnology giant Monsanto. And, I’d say that’s a triumph for Mother Earth as well. The company lost a court battle earlier this year and was charged as guilty of chemical poisoning. This judgment could lend credence to other health claims against Monsanto and pesticides in general.

(visit the link for the full news article)

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
After inhaling the Lasso Weed Killer this farmer suffered from health problems including stammering and memory loss. Monsanto have the balls to say these chemicals are not bad for us.. This stuff has been found in drinking water....

I am sure there are better ways of doing things. I would rather see things growing organically. Common sense tells me they are better for us and nature around us..

Why is a chemical factories allowed anywhere near our food..!

www.care2.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Grow everything organically and watch the world starve, not just the poor countries.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   

He cited insufficient product label warnings as part of the problem.

Read more: www.care2.com...

No -snip-, don't inhale concentrated pesticide...

Real genius this farmer was.

Still have't changed the warnings?, perhaps they ought to put "do not drink" on there as well.

Warnings

Under abnormally cold and wet climatic conditions, at planting or shortly after, crop damage may occur.
Do not apply to poorly drained soils. Water logging in the presence of the herbicide could cause stand reduction and/or stunted growth.
Do not apply LASSO to sandy soils which are susceptible to wind erosion.
Flood irrigation can reduce weed control efficacy.

www.monsanto.co.za...
edit on 24-9-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

+28 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by steppenwolf86

Grow everything organically and watch the world starve, not just the poor countries.

There is an abundance of food in the world. The problem has always been the allocation of food resources. Not the amount of food. That is why people starve...

+28 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

grow organically and watch the corporations starve.

Imagine soil having worms in it again, compost going in the soil building up the humus and creating a micro ecology where lady birds are used to eat the aphids. Imagine food with flavor, less waste.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Many of these pesticides are systemic in nature. They work they way into the plants. Yes what happened to this man was from the inhalation of concentrated pesticides. However there is still damage done over a longer period of time from eating produce contaminated with such pesticides. The proof is in the pudding. Pesticides are used for a period of time then banned for health or environmental reasons and replaced with newer pesticides. Its an ongoing cycle and it should be ringing alarm bells in peoples heads..

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

I would be more worried about groundwater contamination than I would be of pesticide residue left on food. Neither here nor there, famine or decimation of crops by pests is just as troubling. So what's the answer?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I'm on board the "Monsanto is bad" band wagon...but I still have one question that has puzzled me for years...why with all the concerns of food shortages, food prices rising and people starving across the globe do we throw away 40% of the edible food at grocery stores in North America? Oh right it's not picture perfect, so to the trash it goes;

Think about that for a second, 40% of all the food we produce that is perfectly edible, goes into the trash daily!!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

I think your statement is completely ignorant and doesn't see the bigger picture.

If those who eat MORE THAN THEY NEED stopped the gluttony there would not be food shortages and the overwhelming abundance of low quality food.

The drain on food resources and health systems due to obesity, bad diet and greed is the problem.

Solve the problem, don't feed it and blame others.

Here's an analogy for you: If a car has a badly tuned carburettor and there were fuel shortages and low quality fuel, is it not better to tune it for optimum economy and insist on higher quality fuel rather than blame others for the lack of enough fuel to keep it running and it's purity?

Your logic is bad imo.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66

grow organically and watch the corporations starve.

Imagine soil having worms in it again, compost going in the soil building up the humus and creating a micro ecology where lady birds are used to eat the aphids. Imagine food with flavor, less waste.

Imagine genetically modified worms doing the same but with rat claws to do it more efficiently. A modified ecology with lady birds eating aphids and cutsying afterwards to a transhuman farmer who has lived 300 years!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
*curtsying (sorry)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Ericthenewbie

Some places have diversion programs for food banks but mostly there are regulatory/food safety issues by giving away free expired food being that someone getting sick would bring a lawsuit in most places. Also doesn't work out economically either if people start waiting for it to go bad so they can get it for free.

What are the options? Disperse food through government so everyone gets a set amount. How quickly would that turn to soylent green? Too quickly methinks...

People would be begging for Monsanto-pesticide-laced food.

edit on 24-9-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Okay, so the reason we have pesticides is so that the corporations make money, according to all you people. If that is so, why are large scale crop failures a thing of the past?

I get that you all like the idea of growing everything organically, I do too. But the truth is that in my own garden, I lost all of my tomatoes to disease of some sort, and lost the peppers to insects, and this happens almost every other year. If all of the food that is labeled ORGANIC was really grown organically, perhaps that would make a difference But ask anyone who has ever picked vegetables in the UK whether the stuff was really all natural and they will laugh and laugh.

It seems I really struck a nerve with my comment, but surely pesticides exist because they make farming more efficient and regular year to year, and NOT just to make money for giant corporations.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
There is a long long history of monsantos lies

Yet...........the gov chooses to forget these and think a leopard can change its spots

"Earlier this week, Monsanto was found guilty by France’s highest court of false advertising, for claims that Roundup, its toxic weed killer, is biodegradable and leaves “the soil clean.” 2001

"In 1996, the New York Attorney General fined the company $50,000 for claims that Roundup was, you guessed it, biodegradable and good for the environment."

"In 1999, the British Advertising Standards Authority found the company lied about safety testing and environmental benefits in ads about its genetically modified (GMO) crops."

"Two labs conducting glyphosate safety studies for Monsanto were cited for “routine falsification of data” and other offenses."

"An EPA scientist found Monsanto doctored studies and covered-up the dioxin contamination of a wide range of its products. She concluded that the company’s behavior constituted “a long pattern of fraud.”

"For decades, Monsanto dumped highly toxic PCBs in Anniston Alabama, then spent years covering up the dumping and the attendant health hazards to residents. As the Washington Post reported"

"…for nearly 40 years, while producing the now-banned industrial coolants known as PCBs at a local factory, Monsanto Co. routinely discharged toxic waste into a west Anniston creek and dumped millions of pounds of PCBs into oozing open-pit landfills. And thousands of pages of Monsanto documents — many emblazoned with warnings such as “CONFIDENTIAL: Read and Destroy” — show that for decades, the corporate giant concealed what it did and what it knew."

"In 1999, the New York Times exposed that Monsanto hired public relations giant Burson Marsteller to pay fake protesters who posed as “pro-GMO” food demonstrators outside a Washington, DC FDA meeting. The Biotech Industry Organization, a Monsanto-supported trade group, similarly was charged with arranging for bringing African and Asian pro-GMO speakers to the 2002 Earth Summit and posing them as poor farmers. In 2003, EU environmentalists charged Monsanto with arranging another “fake parade” of purported African “farm experts” to a European Parliament meeting."

corporatecrime.wordpress.com...

And this is just the tip of the iceberg of what we have found out

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue] The reason that so many chemicals are required to grow large quantities of food is because monocultures are not natural. Nature doesn't work that way.

We also live in a society driven by money. These corporations grow the biggest amount with the least cost involved regardless of the consequences to human life and the environment. As long as they are making a profit, they don't care about anything else.

I am not okay with any company that would take someone for everything they have got because some seed blew into their field.

I think that this ruling is a step in the right direction when it comes to the corporate giant Monsanto. I hope we see more stories like this in the near future.
edit on 24-9-2012 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

I would be more worried about groundwater contamination than I would be of pesticide residue left on food. Neither here nor there, famine or decimation of crops by pests is just as troubling. So what's the answer?

It's not about the residue left on food, it's about the DNA of the plant changing due to the chemicals absorbed. But that is also a good enough reason to be worried about contaminated ground water.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Actually that is a BS argument with no factual basis. Most of our current ability to produce vast amounts of food crops comes from improved plant varieties, land management, harvesting methods, fertilizers, and other not-pesticide-related methods. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I know that it was somewhere around 80-90% of our current food crop production that has nothing at all to do with pesticides. We already waste more food every year than we would lose by implementing organic farming methods across the board.

Post-DDT, pesticide use wasn't not nearly as pervasive as it is now until sometime in the mid to late 1990s. Monstanto hadn't even perfected Roundup Ready cotton until some time in the late 1990s, post-1996 for sure, because that's when my mother was working on it in a genetic engineering laboratory contracted by Monsanto.
edit on 24-9-2012 by lycosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
Monsanto have the balls to say these chemicals are not bad for us.

A common misconception. I don't believe that monsanto says that these things are not bad for you, quite the opposite in fact.
www.monsanto.co.za...

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

The problem is the out-of-control population growth. There were never meant to be this many humans upon planet earth. We humans need to control ourselves and restructure everything to allow poplulation to be be fed properly. It got out of hand and noone cared.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join