It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you eat out, I need to talk to you!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine
K well this is off my own topic but I think It's important.

I used to have the philosophy...If you don't have the money to tip your server you should stay home. I have changed my thoughts about this. I have figured out through my experirnce that 80% of the time the "bad tippers"(less than 15% when service is near perfect) are the nicest, complimentary, and easy going costumers. So much so that sometimes I am surprised to get a good tip from an overly nice table. It's like they know they arent going to give the 15% so they try to make up for it in other ways.

Of course I don't like to be ran to death and talked down to... to fulfill all of the needs...just to get 8% but that happens too. Usually the rudest people are the best tippers.

So I really don't mind the light tippers, because I'm poor and I look at it this way. Everything is sooo expensive it's hard to actually go out and do anything with out a pocket full of cash and sometimes eating out is all we got. Who am I to wish to deprive anyone of a nice night out with what little they may have. As long as I'm treated with respect, and get at least the 8% I have to claim I have no problem waiting on anyone, and I actually welcome it!! I know karma will take care of me and send me the harder to handle good tippers to make up for it.

I have to agree with you. I would rather have a pleasant experience with customers that tip nil, then to have to constantly attend to a rude customer...who demands perfection and satisfaction in every little way, at the expense of taking away precious time taking care of others, when it is extremely busy.

I will disagree with you that the rudest customers are the best tippers. Often people are just looking for any little infraction to get out of giving a tip, and I have eaten out with people like this, and it is embarrassing when they are the ones footing the bill. Thats when you slip the tip under a plate when they aren''t looking because you feel so bad for the poor server who has been subjected to impossible demands, when it is extremely busy.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MadQuacker

- don't ask if I want my change back, if I was going to give it all to you i would of said so, if i pay for a $40 meal with a $100 yeah i want my change back,

This is SUPER advice and something i'm guilty of. It's not out of greed though ( usualy i dont even look at whats there) , It's laziness when im busy.... NOTE TO SELF....say "I'll be back with your change" UGH I admit it is annoying to count out $8.67 just to have it handed back to me, but it's better than pissing off the man with the cash!! thankyou thankyou thankyou!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshineOf course I don't like to be ran to death

Here's some pointers of not being ran.

1. I have had A BUNCH of times when servers would ask *ONE* PERSON in my party if they wanted anything and didn't ask the rest of us. I mean, if you are coming to the table, you should ask *ALL* in the party BEFORE LEAVING! Once at Outback, I wanted to order a margarita and another refill of mr. pibb, which I was in a party of 4. My mom was on the side of the booth that was closest to the end and our waiter only asked my mom if she wanted another drink, then LEFT. I HATE THAT!! It's FRUSTRATING!! I really feel it's all about being lazy. Same thing with #4 running off before I have a chance to say everything I want at once that they are TOO LAZY to write it down and they know if they don't write it all down, they will forget, because there will be TOO MANY THINGS to remember, especially if it's busy with a lot of other customers asking for many things as well.I really think it's about laziness to AVOID getting asked to do WORK for the tip.

2. Have your pad and pen out when you ask the question if people need something. You should have your pad and pen out so the customers can feel at EASE to give you 7-10 request at once for example.

3. If you choose to not write it down, you probably will forget something and that would be on *YOU*, NOT the customer's fault. I would say, not many servers are hard enough workers to write *EVERY REQUEST DOWN*. I am tired of the little things getting forgotten due to not writing things down. I have already said this earlier, but this one time, I asked for a box, the check, and a top for my ranch, she forgets the top. It was only 3 things. I am not perfect, no one is, but if you want a good tip, you need to *******TRY********** to remember it by writing those things down. It's not that she forgot that bugs me, it's that she didn't even *TRY* to remember what I asked for. Then reread it and check off things off the list just like you do for a grocery store list. If I would have seen her write it down and THEN she forgot, I would have tipped higher to have seen she had tried her best. When you are lazy, you don't get as much and shouldn't. You are also showing the customer you don't care if you remember what they asked for by not writing things down.

4. Sometimes servers I would tell them like one or two things and not be ABLE to tell them anything else, they would RUN OFF *BEFORE* I had a *******CHANCE********** TO LIST THE REST OF THE THINGS I WANTED. For example, I wanted a bag and the check, but I only got a chance to ask for a box. Things like that. You should be letting the customer FULLY TELL YOU and then ask them "Is there anything else you need" BEFORE you leave that table.

5. OFFER to do things like you see people need refills, more bread, etc. Don't let the customer just ask, they may forget or just not think about it, you can OFFER things too. There's been a number of times I have forgotten to ask for something and *THEY* offered for me to where I didn't forget helping my server not be ran.

edit on 24-9-2012 by Springs1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
Sounds about right for Macaroni Grill!

All those impersonal chain restaurants sacrifice quality to service the impatient and irreverent masses, who are tired and cranky from their shopping excursion at the mall.

I am glad, because I want my stuff as *FAST* as POSSIBLE as long as courses don't run into each other of course. Everyone feels differently though about this. As I said, most people didn't see my point of view. I am just a person that if I am hungry, I want my stuff NOW.
edit on 24-9-2012 by Springs1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Springs1

HAHA!

I don't know how many servers you see running around with empty hands so that they can write down all you requests. "Full hand in the kitchen, full hands out of the kitchen! Empty hands will get you fired. Servers HAVE to use their heads and remember lots of stuff.

You should be forced to wait tables on a Sunday morning at Denny's at least once in your life!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshineThis is SUPER advice and something i'm guilty of. It's not out of greed though ( usualy i dont even look at whats there) , It's laziness when im busy.... NOTE TO SELF....say "I'll be back with your change" UGH I admit it is annoying to count out $8.67 just to have it handed back to me, but it's better than pissing off the man with the cash!! thankyou thankyou thankyou!

At least you are being HONEST. I knew that was the reason why servers did this in general. They'd rather not make an extra trip. Instead of earning a FULL TIP for the FULL JOB, they decide to cut corners, when you do that, it can hurt your income. Especially ASKING for change is ASKING "Can I keep the rest as my tip please" essentially, it's true.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Can you give me an example of something that's "Impossible", because I don't know of anything?

Getting somebody there food quickly, because they are hungry now.

Should I go into the kitchen and tell them to disregard all the bills that came in before yours because you are hungry NOW.

Refilling coffee, when I have plates to run to other tables, some of them who are hungry grumpy bears , who want their food NOW.

I could give you more, but guess what, you don't deserve any more reasons.

Nothing would satisfy you anyhow, because you are always right...and the rest of us are just selfish.

You would be the type of customer that I would have happily lost my job over, just to tell you to kiss my you know what.
..and to shove your precious tip .

buh bye....done wasting my time with you on this thread .

If anyone can be considered selfish, ..it is you!

edit on 24-9-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

As I said, most people didn't see my point of view. I am just a person that if I am hungry, I want my stuff NOW.

Unfortunately, your "point of view" is all too common, thus so many fast food restaurant chains. There's eating out, and then there's dining out.

edit on 24-9-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by windwordUnfortunately, your "point of view" is all too common, thus so many fast food restaurant chains. There's eating out, and then there's dining out.

If you know it's all too common, that's why you should ask the customers if they want their side salad or soup first if an appetizer is ordered. That's exactly why. They may be really hungry and/'or waited for a table like an hour for example.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

HAHA!

I don't know how many servers you see running around with empty hands so that they can write down all you requests. "Full hand in the kitchen, full hands out of the kitchen! Empty hands will get you fired. Servers HAVE to use their heads and remember lots of stuff.

You should be forced to wait tables on a Sunday morning at Denny's at least once in your life!

yep, that would be the perfect scenario.

I bet you a small sum she would be bitching out the customers left and right, with a snarky attitude, saying.. "do I look like I can magically make the food be ready at your timing?"..or calling them all stupid and selfish in the kitchen while she is trying to read her little notepad, and other servers are telling her to get out of the way so they can get their food.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWindsI bet you a small sum she would be bitching out the customers left and right, with a snarky attitude, saying.. "do I look like I can magically make the food be ready at your timing?".

NO, if you do that, no only can you get FIRED or WRITTEN UP for being rude, but you would probably get stiffed or have a bad tip for being rude to a customer. You have to be NICE in order to have a tip, DUHH!!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

You mean that a customer should be asked if they are incapable of common etiquette, service protocol and need their salad rushed to them before they pass out from not being prepared for the dining out experience? Better get that 3rd Mr. Pipp out before they go into diabetic shock too!

Better yet, maybe you should just stick to buffets and salad bars.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springs1

Originally posted by WhisperingWindsI bet you a small sum she would be bitching out the customers left and right, with a snarky attitude, saying.. "do I look like I can magically make the food be ready at your timing?".

NO, if you do that, no only can you get FIRED or WRITTEN UP for being rude, but you would probably get stiffed or have a bad tip for being rude to a customer. You have to be NICE in order to have a tip, DUHH!!

I know... I have gotten enough great tips to know that I wasn't lazy , selfish or rude.

I was also given the biggest section , because I worked my butt off trying to take care of customers.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

HAHA!

I can smell the burnt toast now!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by windwordYou mean that a customer should be asked if they are incapable of common etiquette, service protocol and need their salad rushed to them before they pass out from not being prepared for the dining out experience? Better get that 3rd Mr. Pipp out before they go into diabetic shock too!

Better yet, maybe you should just stick to buffets and salad bars.

WOW, you are REALLY INCONSIDERATE!! I guess you don't EVER SKIP MEALS so you can eat a large meal such as skipping meals until a late lunch or don't eat until dinner time or wait for a table long when you are really hungry do you?

I don't know ANYONE THAT LOVES WAITING. I mean if you think people want to wait a long time for things, then WHY did they ORDER right away then, huh? Also, so many server forums and blogs where servers are complaining that the customers aren't even answering how they are doing when they ask, they just say what they want to drink. People are obviously hungry, thirsty, and in a rush to do that, don't you think? I mean, WHY would servers keep complaining about this type of thing if people weren't in a rush in general, huh?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

WOW, you are REALLY INCONSIDERATE!!

Coming from you that is simply hilarious..

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWindsI know... I have gotten enough great tips to know that I wasn't lazy , selfish or rude.

I was also given the biggest section , because I worked my butt off trying to take care of customers.

I bet you could have made MUCH MORE MONEY if you cared about *ALL* your customers and worked harder.

If you worked your butt off, then you wouldn't be saying you didn't check plates for obvious errors.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join