If you eat out, I need to talk to you!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine

Originally posted by SeriousIndividual
I don't tip. I don't believe in it. If she don't make enough money, she can quit. I don't tip because society says I have to. If they really put forth the effort, I'll give them something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job. Say I order coffee, all right, and she only fills my cup up a total of three times, but I wanted it filled six times. You might say she's too busy. Well I say the words "too busy" shouldn't be in a waitress's vocabulary. These ladies aren't starving to death. They make minimum wage. I used to work minimum wage, and when I did I wasn't lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tip-worthy. Don't the people working at McDonald's bust their ass just as much? You don't feel the need to tip them though. They're serving you food, but society says "Don't tip these guys over here, but tip these guys over here." That's nonsense. I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips. That's screwed up, but it ain't my fault. It would appear that waitresses are one of the many groups the government screws over on a regular basis. Show me a paper that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it. I'll vote for it. But what I won't do is play ball. This non-college crap, I got three words for that: Learn to type. If you're expecting me to help out with the rent, you're in for a big surprise.

Who knows? Come onnnnnnnn...........
edit on 24-9-2012 by SeriousIndividual because: (no reason given)

DUDE,
I make $2.83 an hour ComeOn

lol I skiped ahead and saw that that is a movie quote, what? pulp fiction?? Anyway if that's how you feel too then that's your choice.

Wow, $2.83 per hour, no way? Really? Are you sure? Wow, nobody over here in the UK would even contemplate getting out of bed and working for that hourly rate, that's wrong, very wrong.........

These are the minimum wages that people earn in the UK, under law they cannot be paid less than the rate for their age bracket....

£6.08 ($9.87) - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over....
£4.98 ($8.86) - the 18-20 rate......
£3.68 ($5.97) - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18......

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
reply to post by davethebear

I will second that. Us brits just want to be left alone when we are eating! The fact that a member of staff routinely has to ask if everything is ok bugs me in itself. If there was a problem, they'd know about it, now sod off and let me eat!

Hahaha........too right Wide-Eyes, who wants to be bothered by and talking to a waiter/waitress when paying for food.......you don't invite the delivery guy who brings your takeaway pizza or curry to your house actually into the house to eat with you, do you?

So glad we have things the way they are over here...
edit on 24-9-2012 by davethebear because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Consequence

You know what? I really like that idea. I like to go grab a sample of the soup, chili, or our delish marinara, it makes me feel good to know your going to like what you order..So I think I'm going to be a little more daring in the liberties i take in an effort to increase bussiness for everyone. NICE TY

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by SarnholeOntarable
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

Snagged me in....dirty filthy hands and stray hairs.More
:The dreaded cough on the meal as being served....waiter says"excuse me,here are your Romney noodles"
edit on 24-9-2012 by SarnholeOntarable because: (no reason given)

Glad I gotcha
AHAhahaha! EWWW yes gross! I NEVER serve hair!!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

"it can't be too bad; I haven't found any rat droppings or toe nail clippings YET.

HAPPYKAT!!
I don't know if I would laugh or cry if someone said that to me!!!

Seriously though, you're right about the clean tables and sloppy staff!! I clean my own tables, and half of everyone elses too.... I hate when they don't immediately clean their tables, no one want to see that sht!

Thanks for your reply!!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

HAHAHA You're not getting 3 bucks outa me, pffft....I dont tip!!

But I suppose that's the difference in cultures isn't it?

This explains a lot!! I have 2 regular customers that have English accents and neither one of them talk!! Usually I don't care, IF YOU AINT TALKIN, NEITHER AM I!! BUT I looove the accent and the way you guys talk, and I LOVE really old men. So the one guy is like 70+ and cute as can be with his British accent and his cup of tea...It kills me not to try to chat him up more, but I can tell he doesn't want to talk to me!!! Thanks for clearing that up.

And yes, im very sure its 2.83 and hour!! Yes it's lame, but it is what it is, and I do okay, so....

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   

HAHAHA You're not getting 3 bucks outa me, pffft....I dont tip!!

But I suppose that's the difference in cultures isn't it?

This explains a lot!! I have 2 regular customers that have English accents and neither one of them talk!! Usually I don't care, IF YOU AINT TALKIN, NEITHER AM I!! BUT I looove the accent and the way you guys talk, and I LOVE really old men. So the one guy is like 70+ and cute as can be with his British accent and his cup of tea...It kills me not to try to chat him up more, but I can tell he doesn't want to talk to me!!! Thanks for clearing that up.

And yes, im very sure its 2.83 and hour!! Yes it's lame, but it is what it is, and I do okay, so....

Hahahah.................Yeah, the amount of times I have been surrounded by Americans and they ask me to say just random words in my so called beautiful accent I find it soooo funny and I don't understand it.......I have even had marriage proposals from women just because I have a British accent, they also like to have sex with a person with a British accent as well........hahaha..............but that's another different topic...........but they can't wait to make you a cup of tea in the morning..................but I only drink Earl Grey.....haha.......

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

See I think service in the uk is terrible and we could learn a lot from our American cousins in that department. Half the time I go out to eat, I feel like the staff would rather be somewhere else, like having to serve my table is a huge effort. Certainly remember good service because it's so rare.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

reply to post by Consequence

You know what? I really like that idea. I like to go grab a sample of the soup, chili, or our delish marinara, it makes me feel good to know your going to like what you order..So I think I'm going to be a little more daring in the liberties i take in an effort to increase bussiness for everyone. NICE TY

The thing is that if paying customers realize that you might even get tasty bonuses when things are extra slow, it's a fine place to choose to hangout at.
And what happens when people choose to hang out there when it's usually "slow"? Things are not as slow anymore.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
ok .. my biggest test and peave for ANY restaurant is..

1) COOK the steak like I want it.. period. If the 'chef' or line cook can't muster a medium steak .. I'm not going back .. period....

I was a restaurant in Forest Grove,that used to be great.. yea.. we'll never go back now .. it's a chain, I ordered my steak .. littererly twice and the 3 rd time I just ate it because I was starving .. i put in a complaint and got half the bill cut..

3............yes.. 3 weeks later I get a call from the manager .. he says.. " yea.. sometimes the cook gets busy'

2) Cook the pasta correctly, it's not rocket science but, attn to detail is a MUST.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SeriousIndividual

you don't tip ..

because you never worked in a restaurant sounds like .. if you did, you probably weren't worth tipping anyways...

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

I forgot to mention something since I don't live in a country where we generally tip people.
You are in a conflict of interests and therefore, before taking any liberties, must agree with your boss on a tip-limit whenever you give away free stuff.
It will be get very strange when customers tip you extra when you give them things for free. This can't be for your own benefit. So, the surplus should go to the restaurant. In fact, that could even cover the sole action of giving away "free" stuff, so that the customer actually pays for it anyway.

The big return will be in more paying customers, of course.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

See I think service in the uk is terrible and we could learn a lot from our American cousins in that department. Half the time I go out to eat, I feel like the staff would rather be somewhere else, like having to serve my table is a huge effort. Certainly remember good service because it's so rare.

Fair enough, I guess we all have different expectations of what we would like in a dining experience. I guess no matter how much feedback we can give, there will never be an exact way to please everyone.

Tbh, if a waitress is easy on the eye then she can come to my table any time she likes!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
[color=dodgerblue] I am server in a sports bar. Here are some tips I have learned over the years as a server and as a customer.

My first step is always to greet them as quickly as possible. If I can't take their drink order right away, I stop by the table and say hi and let them know that I will be right back. This way if it takes a minute, they are not sitting there wondering why no one has gotten to them yet, they know you are on your way. That's one of my pet peeves when I go out.

My second step is to introduce myself and crack a joke. I want to feel the customer out and find out if they want to play around or not, I like to have fun with my customers, but, only if they want to. I decide at that moment what sort of customer they are and try to match my service to that.

My third step is to get their order in as quickly as possible. Even though you didn't make the food, they are still impressed with you if the service is fast and as the main person they deal with, you get the credit.

My fourth step is to get their food to them, refill their drinks, and check back once after their food is out to make sure everything is to their liking. After this, unless they flag you down or their drinks are running low, leave them alone until they finish eating. No one wants a server at their table every two seconds asking how their food is, this is also one of my pet peeves.

My other tips would be never walk into the kitchen empty handed, and always be thinking ahead and doing more than one thing at once.

edit on 24-9-2012 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeriousIndividual
I don't tip. I don't believe in it. If she don't make enough money, she can quit. I don't tip because society says I have to.

[color=dodgerblue]If the service is good, you need to tip. If you can't afford to tip, don't go out to eat. Its just good manners. If your server is good to you, take care of them. There are plenty of places to eat where a tip is not expected.

They make minimum wage. I used to work minimum wage, and when I did I wasn't lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tip-worthy.

[color=dodgerblue] Really? What server do you know that makes minimum wage?

Around here top pay for a server is $3.85 an hour.
edit on 24-9-2012 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Tell me what makes you happiest? What are your pet peeves about dining out? And, when it happens; what makes you spend more money than usual/intended?

I happy when i enter a good restaurant and get seated, i would like few minutes to look over the menu, i really hated it when a waiter or waitress comes 20 sec after i sit and asks for orders or drinks. I mean i need few minutes to look at it. When i order all of a sudden i'm ordering randomly, and probably end up with something i don't like or something i always order(which is too common).

While taking the menu, i would like them to say option on the items i selected....like extra add on i could add to my meal. I would like them to check on my table every 15 mins or so, not pestering but to see if we need something, of course small talk about the meal "like, how you liking the steak" is appreciated.

My tipping depends on how comfortable i am in the environment, is the waiter/tress spending too much time on one table and not helping others, am i try to get the attention of the waiter/tress for a while and failing to notice etc. My tipping goes from the basic level to up to 45%. When i dine out, my spending is usually over $100(for 2-3 people).

edit on 9/24/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I love getting bigger portions especially if I am paying for it. I always ask for a box, then myself or kids have another meal to eat! Two or three for the price of ONE.

Also, find out if the customer has food allergies and be able to direct them to areas on the menu they should avoid. Knowing your menu is utmost importance to me! I hate when the waiter doesn't know anything about what they are serving.

Also, my husband ALWAYS asks for tea without lemon. We ALWAYS get the lemon, therefore less tip.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Take the order quickly upon seating;
Serve the dish quickly;
Check back exactly once!
Put the check on the table.
Don't come back 16 times!

(Break up our conversation or ask me how everything is when I've got a mouthful of food. I'm simply there to eat; not form a personal relationship with the restaurant staff).

Thats' all I expect from a waitress ( er..."waitstaff") ( and there's your 20% tip)
edit on 24-9-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)
edit on 24-9-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I doubt this will help at all so I am just going to mini rant about this topic so bare with me.

Things that piss me off when dining.

Consistency and quality.
Like someone already mentioned....cook the steak properly every time when I go there.
If the chef can't than get another chef.
I do expect consistency.
If a meal looks one way when I ordered it than I expect that same meal and consistency.

Don't over do things and advertise things in a more clear fashion.
Example.
(I even wrote a rant thread about this before
)

If it says a western than thats what I expect.
If it comes with cheese on it....you just pissed me off.
If I wanted the cheese,I would ask and i would expect it to be advertized as a western WITH CHEESE.
Its great people want to go the extra mile but some people want what they want without extras they did not anticipate.
I had a guy cover my pasta dish in cheese one day thinking I would be happy.....I hate cheese on my food other than pizza and was put off and handed it back to him.
He was just trying to be nice but thats what I mean....just give me the dish advertized with no surprizes.

Flirting.
I HATE when a waitress flirts with me....I am there to eat,not date.
I was at a place once where the waitress asked my name while being flirty...I told her my name is not important and to just get me my bill.
Also a guy could get put off after realizing she was flirting for a better tip.

Watch the drinks...if my glass is empty,I don't want to hunt you down to get another.

Hopefully this helped and sorry if it didn't.
That felt good to get off my chest though.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Tip is directly tied to how often my drink is refilled. If you serve bread along with meal how often that is refreshed too. But the main thing is drinks. The other stuff is obvious, steak the way you ordered. Right sides, that kind of thing.

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join