It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

very strange happening last night

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I guess it is just me. But I would feel the obligation to speak to the family after having possibly saved their daughter's life from a mountain lion / zombie stalker.

What exactly does the OP mean by "waiting for neighbor's response?"

I bet it feels weird, but ya know there's a little line that gets crossed when you are chased by something that had only moments ago possibly put that little girl's life in jeopardy..... It becomes a neighbor's responsibility to warn the parents.

Unless you are embarrassed that you were chased by a raccoon / possum.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
well guess what, it was a possum...and it was disposed of...there... are you happy?

im actually relieved it is not anything im not prepared to deal with...and its gone, so thanks for the help everyone...

i talked to the guy, whose little girl it was, today, caught up to him while he was still outside after we both got off work, and he said he wants to have me over for a beer and some venison...

i never wanted this thing to be anything other than what it was, and the only reason i put it in cryptozoology is because that was the only thing that had anything to do with animals...and to me it was still a mystery...

but now that its is solved, i guess its one more lesson to be learned...

like i said there were a lot of possible candidates, but i didnt want to say for sure until i knew for sure...

thanks again to everyone who helped out with the different ideas, and maybe this can help other people identify that strange noise you might hear in the neighborhood...

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by studythem1
well guess what, it was a possum...and it was disposed of...there...

Yea!!! I was right!

I'm really happy it wasn't a big foot!

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Shaade

That is an excellent (and scary) possibility, the thing might have avoided the light...if it was on. That indicates a mind that can reason and deduce. Some animals can do this; I have a cat that I swear must have been human in another life because he displays uncanny intelligence...he can even count. But that was no cat, and while a bear would fit the physical description (large, lumbering, etc.) it seems unlikely that it would chase him down the street if it had babies near by who were vulnerable. However, not being even close to an expert on bear behavior, I am going to try and research that.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

well guess what, it was a possum...and it was disposed of...there... are you happy?

im actually relieved it is not anything im not prepared to deal with...and its gone, so thanks for the help everyone...

i talked to the guy, whose little girl it was, today, caught up to him while he was still outside after we both got off work, and he said he wants to have me over for a beer and some venison...

i never wanted this thing to be anything other than what it was, and the only reason i put it in cryptozoology is because that was the only thing that had anything to do with animals...and to me it was still a mystery...

but now that its is solved, i guess its one more lesson to be learned...

like i said there were a lot of possible candidates, but i didnt want to say for sure until i knew for sure...

thanks again to everyone who helped out with the different ideas, and maybe this can help other people identify that strange noise you might hear in the neighborhood...

Appreciate your honesty, sir.

My first thread here was authored under similar circumstances, and through further investigation and the help of the community here, I ended up finding out it was a completely mundane misinterpretation of events and stimuli.

No hard feelings I hope, and I'm glad you have solved this event. Your honesty on solving it, is refreshing to see. I apologize for our former misunderstandings

PS: Noticed I'm on your "adversary" list. I consider it an honor

Enjoy your time here. I know I have.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by studythem1

Thank you for that

I just feel that instead of people picking apart your narrative, asking irrelevant questions such as the status of your relationship with your neighbors and why you did not produce photos, etc. the focus should be on trying to help identify what this thing was. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume (I know, I know) that you would most likely be relieved to find out that it was something ordinary versus some kind of deranged monster.

I don't blame you for not looking out the window when you heard the thing again later. I can tell you with utmost certainty that I would not have looked either...unless someone else was there with me or something. I would have been far too scared of what I might see. I'm actually very impressed at your bravery...sitting there all night with this slavering beast (whatever it might be) right outside your house. I would not have gone back home after being chased like that.

Do you personally find it odd that you have heard nothing from the girl's parents? Is it possible that they know about this creature and simply don't want to talk about it? My parents had two goats in a pen a few years back and found them, one after the other, literally turned inside out with the skeletons picked completely clean. No blood, no tissue...just bones and skin turned inside out like a glove or a sock you would pull off. I heard this story once, from my stepdad (who discovered the bodies) and they literally REFUSE to discuss it again. People tried to blame that on a bear or cougar or something as well, but none of those animals kill in that manner. The sheriff himself declined to go into the woods to investigate, if that tells you how frightened people were.

You don't have to justify anything to these people. Those of us who believe you will be tuning in to see what comes of all this. You just stay safe out there.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Whew!! Ordinary after all, thank goodness

I am very happy to hear that it was a possum and not something more insidious. It probably would be smart to try and capture it and have it removed from the vicinity...those things carry rabies and they are not afraid of people. I had a nasty encounter with one myself but I'll save that for another thread.

Glad to know all is well in your neck of the woods now. I'll update my friends at school tomorrow...your thread was quite the topic today lol

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
actually i talked to the father and he just chuckled about it and explained what it was...nothing odd to him about it, but he has lived here for much longer than me...once in a while we see dead possums on the road, so i know they are around here, and if one did growl as it did at the little girl, i can see why she would scream and run inside...

not sure if it was rabid or just injured, but it was really angry...could have been hit by the wheel of a car...one time i saw a raccoon (pretty big one) try and get out of my way only to get hit by a truck tire and he promptly rolled into a gutter drain to hide...he was hurting bad too, but for some reason did not cry out in pain, even though he was really in a bad way...

i have also seen a raccoon play games before...another big one, about the size of a dog (like collie sized or maybe a little bigger) ran up to a tree i was about to walk by and peeked around the edge a couple of times like it wanted to ambush me, and then ran off...animals have personalities too...

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

So glad you got it solved or it would have bugged you forever. I'm not surprised you were so scared though. I told you about our hedgehog. In the dark, making all it's commotion it was a monster to us and we were genuinely scared.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
If you were 'pedaling harder than ever before', I'm gDamn sure that thing wasn't human..

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
To the OP.

Are there any chronic alcoholics or drug abusers in your area?

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
hey guys...problem solved...maybe i should edit the title to reflect that...but since i cant after 4 hours...i guess i will have to say it here...

no drug addicts around here, that is one of the reasons i moved here...and its hard to get to...not many people even know there is anything back here...

and fear has a funny way of kicking in something called adrenaline...which allows us to either fight hard, flee ridiculously fast, or perform great feats of strength to rescue others or ourselves...so fear can be a good thing if it is in the right place and time...
edit on 27-9-2012 by studythem1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Before reading all the replies, will add one of my own.....wow, creepy! Definitely would check with the neighbor, so that you can (1) see what the girl saw, or heard, and (2) so that you can share what you heard, so they take her seriously, in case they aren't. Whatever this was, sounds maybe dangerous, and parents should be aware.

Now, the sound......creepy! Don't know that game, but ewww! Trying to stay logical, though, the only thing I can think of, that isn't something in the realm of the "weird" is some sort of large reptile. Wont ask where you live, but there are places in the States where these things are now living, and heck, any place, someone could have had one that got loose. Found a video, with a smallish lizard hissing, and it sounds eerily similar. See what you think.
If you have something like that around, be aware they can be dangerous, especially if some nut had a Komodo! Even a large monitor could potentially be dangerous.

EDIT: A possum! Oh, good. Yeah, weird sound, and they can be aggressive enough (had to "babysit" one in quarantine some years back), so can see the kid running! Glad it wasn't a big lizard! Very similar sound, though. Hope the thing wasn't rabid; have read some recent stories of rabid beavers attacking people. Nothing in my area, though (and we have a possum that hangs around, too). Can ignore other posts; mostly speculating, since I didn't read all the pages first. Interesting thread, though! Don't think I have seen you around here before, so welcome, too.
edit on 28-9-2012 by LadyGreenEyes because: additional comments after reading the entire thread

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   

reply to post by Ben81

i dont care to post exactly where i live, i like my privacy, but it is not on either coast, it is in the Midwest, nowhere near a habitat for large cats, or mountain lions, or any other wild felines...the wildest ones we have are stray house-cats...

if it had been a large cat, i dont think pedaling would have been fast enough, and im pretty fast, but for a predator like a large cat, i would have been dinner...nope, i still do not think it was a cat...

for that matter, it could not have been a large cat if the little girl had time to run inside...she would have been a meal before me...
edit on 24-9-2012 by studythem1 because: (no reason given)

Have to agree, because you and the girl got away, that a large cat isn't likely. Not a bad possibility, for those that offered it, though. Always good to explore all angles! Check that other post of mine, with the lizard hiss. No, Midwest isn't likely for them to be living and breeding, but people do own them, and they do escape. Large lizards can move fast, but don't always (and that includes monitors, or even alligators, though neither would make it in the winder, probably!), and they could easily make noise banging into a vehicle. If there is one about, good chance that small animals would vanish in the area. Cats, rabbits, squirrels, etc. Anyway, check with the neighbors, and if the kid saw it, maybe together you can notify Fish and Game folks, that someone let some exotic thing loose. Be careful, in any case!

Will state, though, any place in the Midwest, you should see a big cat, so be aware of that, too. Don't think that's what this was, but knowing they could be out there isn't a bad thing. Keep us posted!

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by julia53
i just read through all four pages of this thread(what was not deleted)

this thread is nuts; here is this respected member talking about a true experience and you guys actually give opinions that it was a siamese cat??

just a little info about cougers, bobcats...lived around them for eight years, they do not hang around for a second go around..that whole concept to me smacks of those who do not want to look at the experience because maybe they fear it themselves? who knows, but silly..not one of you gave st any good information or resources of where he could maybe search further for answers

i am just so glad i did not post a recent 'crypto' experience here..mine in particular had some sort of metal in it's hand, paw, who knows...i can only imagine the responses

you guys are missing out on a lot info is all i got i to say...

Can understand the reasoning, but wish you would share; sounds fascinating! A PM would work, if not willing to post on the boards! Agree this was terrible treatment for a newer member, and hope he knows we aren't all like that!

Cat? Possible, but unlikely (big or small). Still leaning towards lizard. The behavior fits better, as does the sound, at least compared to that one the OP posted.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraclete1

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
...A cat?! Why would he have bothered to go through all of this over a cat. I think people can differentiate between some large gutteral hissing and bashing sounds versus a smaller voice box "hissing"....

Just kind of silly to me to suggest that it was a cat. Not sure if any of you have been near a mountain lion before, but it does not sound like how he described at all.

If he knew for sure it was a cat, he wouldn't have posted here, but he doesn't know and didn't see what it was. I've never been upclose and personal with a mountain lion, but I was with that siamese and believe me when I say that is was loud and scary. I didn't know what it was at first but it didn't sound like any smaller kitty cat voice box I'd ever heard before. And the sound could clearly be heard for a block.

And given the OP had already been put on the edge with the neighbor girl screaming, out in the dark, and load noises coming from an unseen source, isn't possible that his senses may have been amped up?

But before we break out the pitchforks and torches, can't we at least investigate the possibility that it might have been a cat defending territory or simply trying to get laid. Lady cats don't just roll over and say take me. The dude has to fight for it. And yes, I've heard the sounds of kitty love up close and personal and when it started, it scared the crap out of me too.

It is a possibility, at least, though I think it unlikely for one reason. Same reason I don't think an opossum is the culprit. Yes, both can sound weird (and Siamese cats DO sound quite different in hisses and yowls and meows from other house cats), and I have heard both, but I don't think either one would have stuck around that long. Whatever this was, it was there when he got back, if I read the story correctly, and that makes a cat or opossum far less likely. At least, though, offering such possibilities is trying to find a solution, and that's all good. I don't think anyone is looking for some supernatural explanation.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
I don`t know where you live but it sounds like a very strange place where neighbors can`t talk to each other. Where i live everyone talks to each other and looks out for each other.
it`s really strange that the neighbors haven`t already come to talk to you to see if you saw or heard anything on the night there daughter came running in the house screaming.
It strange that they didn`t even bother to look outside to see what was out there or maybe they did and they saw that it was nothing to be concerned about.
If they had even looked out the window they would have seen you and seen something chasing you. If you heard the noises then they had to of heard them too.obviously they never even bothered to look outside, so they obviously weren`t very concerned about the noises.

i`m more fascinated with the whole scenario of people who live within visual distance of each other and yet prefer to remain hermits.

everyone put yourself in the neighbors shoes and imagine what you would have done if your daughter came running in the house screaming, it`s really strange that the neighbors didn`t do any of those things.Their daughter came running in the house screaming and the noises outside their house continue for at least another 6 hours and they didn`t hear a thing? they didn`t call the police? they didn`t go out to see what was out there that was so scary to their daughter? they didn`t go and talk to any of the neighbors to find out if anyone had seen or heard anything?
It`s almost like nothing really happened.

Depends on where you live, really, and the neighbors. Most places, I will say, the cops won't come for nothing. Here, they would, but that's not like most places. Neighbors? Well, let me share a story with you. Lived in Florida some time back, for several years. House next door to us had a pool in the backyard, that was not maintained AT ALL. very icky water, what was probably at some point landscaping plant life all overgrowing the corners of the yard (which the pool covered most of). Her fence also had boards broken, right by our yard. Well, at one point, we kept hearing these noises from the backyard, NOT cats (I know cats well), not a dog, etc. Sounded just like a gator, like you can hear on a program about them. This was the season they tend to move about for breeding, too, and they are well known there for ending up in even maintained pools, storm drains, and so forth. We were all certain the sound matched the gator sounds on several shows, so we contacted the lady to tell her what we had heard. Her reaction was bizarre. She acted like we heard nothing at first, then claimed it was a "frog". This was NOT a frog. Used to camp yearly as a kid, heard large bull frogs regularly, and very familiar with them and the smaller ones. This woman simply didn't want any authorities coming out to see the condition of the backyard. We tried reporting the gator, because they can be dangerous, but the F&G people refused to come unless SHE called them. Go figure. Had other neighbors even weirder, and some were far from nice, too. So, can understand the reticence from the OP. He did state he's got someone else asking them, though, so hopefully he can find something out. Wish I had neighbors like yours! Truly do, not being facetious. Neighborhoods like that are more rare these days, I think. Not like when I was a kid.

As for the family not coming out, can say that as a mom, if my kid came in screaming, it would probably take a few minutes to see what it was all about, and by then he would have been off on the bike, near as I can figure. Maybe they did look out, and didn't see anything. Maybe they saw something out of place, and didn't think anyone would listen (like an escaped large lizard). Maybe there was just the mom home or something, and she was afraid to check. Many possibilities. In any case, I am curious as to what this was, though I can understand your point about how people are these days. Different world we live in.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

well, gladly i dont have neighbors that let their yard go wild and let gators run around in the pool...

anyway, this was solved a while ago...

but im glad you took the time to read it, and i love the V picture you got!

pretty cool story, how they worked V into everything...Visitors, the V (5th) column...Victory...sure wish they would have gone further with the newer series...it was getting interesting and then WHAM...just like most shows these days that get interesting...

anyway, thanks for stopping by...

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join