It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why does my dvd rom fire up when i hit ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
does this happen to you guys?

im surfin around, no big deal,

i go to ATS

my DVDROM spins up

I pull the usb cable and go WTF?

doesnt happen on amazon (for example)

is it just me? what do you guys think?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by uwascallywabbit

Nothing like that has ever happened to me. Sorry I have no answers.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
My guess is all the gigantic spying cookie that ATS implants in your computer causes your computer to search for a place to store it? What kind of computer? Perhaps the amount of graphics on the page?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Is it your harddrive speeding up to support the BS adds on here?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

zonetripper, its funny that you chimed in because of your avater, fallout 3 is the disc in the drive LOL

i just came back in and out with firefox and IE, had more hard drive activity on IE but the DVDROM was quiet both times.

maybe im just seeing gremlins..

or maybe an addcookie was swimming my directory tree looking for its home

i wont freak out and scream the sky is falling

if it acts up again (twice so far in 2 days) ill chime in here and let yall know

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Hahahaha I am a wild wastlander after all.
It was probably something simple and silly. Too many tabs or programs running even?
I hope it's gremlins and not mole rats eating your wires

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Does it happen on all browsers?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Hello.

Do you mean hard drive? Maybe 'external hard drive' which is why you 'pull the usb cable?'

Picture it like Hard Drive falls alseep on the job sometimes and your computer shouts 'Hey wake up now!' The drive buzzes, spins and settles back to sleep again

No blame to the ATS site and is coincidence you noticed.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I have seen this often on some Windows XP installs, never on 7. It may be your anti virus software starting a quick check of all drives, triggered by visiting webpages with lots of graphic and ad content. Just in case, go ahead and scan your PC with Malwarebytes, it takes under 10 min to download, install, update and scan.

If your really worried, use IE in private mode. Open IE and press Control+Shift+P.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

ATS has embedded technology that tries to detect a recording device on a client system, activates that device and record itself to that device. When the device doesn't have enough room to download the entire website, it shuts down. In this manner ATS is able to preserve it's content for future generations by having itself recorded on all sorts of media throughout the world. These precautions are in place in case the internet gets shut down, freedom of speech gets outlawed or ATS is hacked by some group like Anonymous. Most of the time this happens quickly so people don't notice the device check. It's perfectly normal. I wouldn't worry about it.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
some one wants to watch your movies

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

That's just to deflect your attention from the hidden cameras and listening devices that are firing up at the same time.

We are watching you.
We see what you are doing.
When the MIB get there, just go along peacefully for your re-education.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
are you on a laptop?

If you are it could be your CPU/GPU fan cooling it self down.

Mine does this when there is a few process in the works.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
just happened again,

i hit the box to drink my redbull and wake up a little (yeah its late but i work late, so i say gmorning around noon)

i sit down, read some news headlines on drudgereport, PC is quiet...

i go to the ATS link, and WHAM

my DVDROM fires up.

not sure whats going on here but i dont like it.

im still thinking add cookies, i will run malware and see if i get anything

but addcookies, DRUDGEREPORT didnt fire up my DVD and they like adds over there, maybe not as much as we get them HERE (LOL)

oh and please DEEP SIX those loud audio adds, if i cant ignore the extra struff to get what i want then i will find another MORE USEABLE site..

each of these ATS style sites has a useful lifespan before the community moves on, en masse, to the next big thing...

anyone here remember anomalies.net? fantastic place, for a bit, then just useless, so all the fans left.

peace

new topics

top topics

join