It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Atlantic 'Achilles heel' lets upper atmosphere affect the abyss

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
North Atlantic 'Achilles heel' lets upper atmosphere affect the abyss
(phys.org)

A University of Utah study suggests something amazing: Periodic changes in winds 15 to 30 miles high in the stratosphere influence the seas by striking a vulnerable "Achilles heel" in the North Atlantic and changing mile-deep ocean circulation patterns, which in turn affect Earth's climate.

"We found evidence that what happens in the stratosphere matters for the ocean circulation and therefore for climate," says Thomas Reichler, senior author of the study published online Sunday, Sept. 23 in the journal Nature Geoscience.

Scientists already knew that events in the stratosphere, 6 miles to 30 miles above Earth, affect what happens below in the troposphere, the part of the atmosphere from Earth's surface up to 6 miles or about 32,800 feet. Weather occurs in the troposphere.

Researchers also knew that global circulation patterns in the oceans – patterns caused mostly by variations in water temperature and saltiness – affect global climate.

The article cites occurrences of 'stratospheric sudden warming events' as having impacted the polar vortex winds and having a corresponding effect on the 'Achilles heel', as they call the region of the North Atlantic south of Greenland.

A pretty cool article if you're interested in this sort of thing. I think it shows just how intertwined our oceans/atmosphere are. Uncovering this particular relationship (polar vortex winds over this region of ocean) can only help improve the climate model for further studies.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
ROFLMFAO.............they actually thought that stratospheric activity didn't previously filter down...AS ABOVE SO BELOW...

The lies are deep or the scientist are rather daft...oh my...

Right right and the HAARP doesn't affect weather patterns either...man we are in deep doo doo these are the leaders in their respected fields?

A University of Utah study suggests something amazing: Periodic changes in winds 15 to 30 miles high in the stratosphere influence the seas by striking a vulnerable "Achilles heel" in the North Atlantic and changing mile-deep ocean circulation patterns, which in turn affect Earth's climate...

AMAZING INDEED...this is too much...sorry OP...just coming to realize how lost some people really are..

but it could be me that is lost...just thought I should acknowledge the possibility...i have been wrong before...
edit on 9/23/2012 by Drala because: changed my mind...i can do that..i think...

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Drala

Maybe its the bankers attacking them for kicking them out...

edit on 9/23/2012 by Drala because: Chuck Norris said so...

join