It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Drugs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Is it just me, or does Kerry seem like a hypocrite for wanting Canadian drugs?

He blames Bush for outsourcing, yet he blames him for forcing Americans to buy drugs produced in the US as opposed to Canada. Maybe I am missing something?

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Many of the drugs that will be imported from Canada are produced in the US.
It's the same stuff you'd find in a US pharmacy, just cheaper because of Canada's price control laws.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by dcgolf

He blames Bush for outsourcing, yet he blames him for forcing Americans to buy drugs produced in the US as opposed to Canada. Maybe I am missing something?

It's because American drugs are way more expensive. Canada has the same stuff, just way cheaper. Fortunately, I don't have any prescriptions except for glasses, but drugs are seriously expensive in this country and for millions they are a necessity to stay alive.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Canadian meds are generally manufactured in the US, and the drug companies still clean up-- even with Canadian prices-- and there's no advertising allowed in Canada either.

Interesting that Bush said that he was worried about the quality of drugs from Canada but then said they were helping out with the flu vaccine.

Which is it I wonder? < sigh> I'll never be as cerebral as George W.

I guess I'll have to face that.

[edit on 16-10-2004 by hellbunny]

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I don't know much about the drugs issue, and I do not claim to be an expert in those areas. As far as outsourcing...I can see your point. This would be easily solved if other countries would/could outsource their jobs as well, but into the US. As it stands many of them have no means to; so effectively the US is a major contributor in the cycle. With capitalism comes problems such as this...the manufacturer and consumer want lower wages and lower prices respectively, and if a good is produced in the US it becomes overpriced using local labor. So, what are we to do? I haven't the slightest clue to be perfectly honest. If I were to offer an extreme answer to this problem it would probably be...stop capitalism!

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Oh, brother, no he's not being a hyprocrite, he's letting people know he'd make it possible to buy from Canada rather than having Americans pay out their entire paychecks (which will it be, will it be food or the meds i need to survive) kind of stuff.

You stick up for these pharmaceuticals? Plezzze

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Drugs are cheaper in Canada because our government has legislated how much drug companies can charge. Drug companies have quietly aquiesced because they make HUGE profits in the US as opposed to reasonable profits in Canada.

If Americans want cheaper drugs, legislate it. Capatilism doesn't always have to be the freewheeling American model. Drug companies WILL continue to develop newer better drugs contrary to what their spin phds will tell you.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I worked at a pharmacy in Cape Cod, for 5 years, and the elderly used to cry to me and tell me to put it back because they couldnt afford it.
It was very sad. This is a travesty in this country and it has to be stopped. Bush wont because he's all for the companies and their $$$.
The heck with the people.
sick.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
One problem with that, the nike's you wearing were built in China by a 8 year old. The drugs were made in America and imported to Canada. So it isn't outsourcing of jobs, just buying the drugs made in America at a cheaper price. It would be like if Nike still made shoes in America, then imported them to Canada, then we bought them for 40$ less in Canada then in America.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
One problem with that, the nike's you wearing were built in China by a 8 year old. The drugs were made in America and imported to Canada. So it isn't outsourcing of jobs, just buying the drugs made in America at a cheaper price. It would be like if Nike still made shoes in America, then imported them to Canada, then we bought them for 40$ less in Canada then in America.
James, you're right. Its absolutely NOT outsourcing of jobs.
How much plainer can this be?

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
if he's elected, I hope he gets the Canadian drug policies through....I believe it would most probably be an abject lesson on why price controls don't work www.abovetopsecret.com... I for one would find it hilarious, if Canadians started subsidizing American prescription drugs.

[edit on 16-10-2004 by keholmes]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Just to reiterate a fact and clear up a small misconception. The majority of the drugs at issue are made by American firms, these for the most part though, in accordance with Canada's laws, are manufactured in Canada. Pfizer ever protctive of its profits and not its clientele, has moved to deny dealings with the Canadian pharmacies known for selling to the U.S.

Canadian laws require foreign companies be viable establishments operating under Canadian standards to do businesss in the country. The likes of Pfizer may have patented drugs, but the Government's commitment to healthcare for all along wth the French and British firms in Canada also providing drugs, ensure no one country dictates Canadian pricing or drug policy. Hence, if they wish to compete, they have to accept a margin less than the gouging practices they get away with elsewhere. It can't be that bad, Pfizer just extended its canadian holdings.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Oh, brother, no he's not being a hyprocrite, he's letting people know he'd make it possible to buy from Canada rather than having Americans pay out their entire paychecks (which will it be, will it be food or the meds i need to survive) kind of stuff.

You stick up for these pharmaceuticals? Plezzze

Tell that to the workers who lose their jobs because we are buying drugs from Canada.

If the drugs are produced here, then shipped to Canada, then sold to the US cheaper, then the drug companies have a problem.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Tell that to the workers who lose their jobs because we are buying drugs from Canada.

If the drugs are produced here, then shipped to Canada, then sold to the US cheaper, then the drug companies have a problem.

They would most probably be produced by the Canadian subsidiary�.but don�t worry shear profit potential would force the corporations to protect us from Kerry�s attempt to outsource more jobs without calling it that�.he�s good at arguing both sides of the issue without appearing to. Funny, though that the democrats would be depending on those evil corporations to protect them from their own choice.

new topics

top topics

join