As Corn prices soar Farmers turn to feeding Cows with Gummie worms and Cookies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+7 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
This is one of those stories I literally could not believe when I read it, but I've checked my calendar and it isn't April fools so I'm going to guess it's true.

As the worst drought in half a century has ravaged this year's U.S. corn crop and driven corn prices sky high, the market for alternative feed rations for beef and dairy cows has also skyrocketed. Brokers are gathering up discarded food products and putting them out for the highest bid to feed lot operators and dairy producers, who are scrambling to keep their animals fed. In the mix are cookies, gummy worms, marshmallows, fruit loops, orange peels, even dried cranberries. Cattlemen are feeding virtually anything they can get their hands on that will replace the starchy sugar content traditionally delivered to the animals through corn

Link

This has to qualify as one of the most insane things I've read in a while, I'm not going to pretend I'm a Bovine nutrition expert but if I were going to put together a list of things that might be good for a Cow to eat then Marshmallows wouldn't be on it, I wonder if they have thought of trying something crazy like feeding the Cows Grass before resorting to cookies?

For anyone with any knowledge of farming I would like to know what exactly did Farmers feed cows before the massive subsidies on corn came about and why don't they go back to that now?

edit on 23-9-2012 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
how about the farmers try someone radically new, never done in the history of cattle rearing: natural healthy grass.
edit on 23-9-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Yes, grass, barley, alfalfa. That is what they feed them around here in Saskatchewan. I don't know one farmer around here that feeds them corn.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I think cows are supposed to eat grass.
But corn is cheaper....or at least it was.

And it allowed cows to be put into those awful feed lots.

It's really not so surprising what they are turning to .....corn is starch/sugar...and just like that commercial....they keep saying sugar is sugar.
[well, actually, it's not]

BTW, corn is also good to feed cows because it helps put weight on them fast...just like people.
And, I assume they want to fatten them and get them to market as soon as possible.
edit on Sun Sep 23 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: clarity

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I'd have to look it all up again, but I read a study last year suggesting that all corn animal diets were causing problems with people who ate the meat due to the sugar build up in the meat - or something akin to that.

On a side note.... gummy beef doesn't sound half bad... Mmmmmmm gummy beef.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I'd guess that if a person 100 years from now (assuming progress) looked at our food production systems, they would be equally disgusted as we'd be looking at systems in 1912.

When looking at technological trends and future advancement, bio tech is being overlooked in favor of information, energy, and robotics by most. Food supply is taken for granted, big time.

And, hey, let's apply some ethics to livestock treatment.
edit on 9/23/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Seems the farmers where you live are infinitely more sensible then the ones in the Article. Does their non corn diet lead to any significant difference in the cost of raising the animals?

I think if it has got to the point where people have to resort to this kind of thing to keep prices competitive then there's something seriously wrong, are people just expecting their meat to cost so little that feeding them junk is the only way to stay in the market?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Does anyone remember what SMILK use to taste like?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

I work with a guy that has cattle. I know nothing about it so I quiz him all the time as I find it interesting. I ask him what they eat. He says, "whatever is out there with a little barley, and alfalfa because they like it.". Now he does give them mineral salt licks and shots for diseases, but other than that, pretty natural food. It seems that if it is growing in the ground, and they like it, it is most likely healthy for them.

On a side note, it doesn't cost much once you have the cattle. They keep reproducing, which makes you more money. There is a lady that lives near here that sold 400 head of cattle to China. If you don't feed them junk, they don't need as much upkeep. That much I have understood from my questions anyways.

Edit: To the cost question:

He also is a grain farmer, so he will plant a section of land with enough for the cattle (barley, alfalfa, etc.) and keep what he needs for the winter. So I don't think he would be doing it if he wasn't making money.
edit on 23-9-2012 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
how about the farmers try someone radically new, never done in the history of cattle rearing: natural healthy grass.
edit on 23-9-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

Did you read the whole thing? There is a major drought. Grass, like corn, needs water to grow. No rain means no water which means no grass no corn no traditional feed. So they either must try something or watch their cattle starve to death.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

So, people who are eating this beef are really getting a double-whammy: eating the meat of those poorly nourished animals...and then dealing with the offerings at the grocers....most of which is full of corn and HFCS....and most of which except for produce does not provide proper nutrition.

Better living through chemistry...indeed

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyguy2012

...or butcher them and keep their herd at a manageable level until the drought is over or until they can get irrigation up and running.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I live in the Central Illinois. We have been hit excessively hard with this drought. Corn is an excellent feed for cattle, especially at the begining of the season to add some weight etc. Most cattle are also grass fed, including Alfalfa and some other grass products. Yes, the corn is in a lot of trouble. So are many grazing grass fields.
Grass weathered the lack of rain better, but in order to feed the cattle must be in the sun for long periods of time.
We had numerous days of very high heat. Deadly heat. Destroyed my front yard,....I didn't mow for 7 weeks because nothing was growing. Drought hit the grazing fields as well.
So grass is not as plentiful either.
Three days ago I went for a bike ride. It took about 10 miles for me to get out in the country,. There I saw for the first time in my life. Corn cut down, and being baled like hay to be used for fodder. There were no ears to speak of so the farmer just cut it down to feed the stalks to the cattle. Better than nothing.
Perhaps this candy thing has a ring of truth to it. It may even lead to a whole new field of veterinary medicine.
Equine dentistry. Imagine how much you could make filling cattle cavities. But then the government will just step in with their controls and restrict the cattle to caloric controls.
Seriously: Prices are soaring. Farmers do use corn for feed, grass didn't grow very well, water is even scarce in some areas, so if they want to use the Gummie worms I say more power to them.
I only hope my T-Bone next spring doesn't taste like tuti fruti.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

true. But that would then affect beef prices later on. Which eventually will happen with this drought. I am already seeing increased food prices and meat prices. I am also seeing a huge decline in the quality of meat that is now available.

Maybe we should apply the same principle to keep the population down to manageable levels as well? Maybe mother earth will do that by herself?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidsHope
I live in the Central Illinois. We have been hit excessively hard with this drought. Corn is an excellent feed for cattle, especially at the begining of the season to add some weight etc. Most cattle are also grass fed, including Alfalfa and some other grass products. Yes, the corn is in a lot of trouble. So are many grazing grass fields.
Grass weathered the lack of rain better, but in order to feed the cattle must be in the sun for long periods of time.
We had numerous days of very high heat. Deadly heat. Destroyed my front yard,....I didn't mow for 7 weeks because nothing was growing. Drought hit the grazing fields as well.
So grass is not as plentiful either.
Three days ago I went for a bike ride. It took about 10 miles for me to get out in the country,. There I saw for the first time in my life. Corn cut down, and being baled like hay to be used for fodder. There were no ears to speak of so the farmer just cut it down to feed the stalks to the cattle. Better than nothing.
Perhaps this candy thing has a ring of truth to it. It may even lead to a whole new field of veterinary medicine.
Equine dentistry. Imagine how much you could make filling cattle cavities. But then the government will just step in with their controls and restrict the cattle to caloric controls.
Seriously: Prices are soaring. Farmers do use corn for feed, grass didn't grow very well, water is even scarce in some areas, so if they want to use the Gummie worms I say more power to them.
I only hope my T-Bone next spring doesn't taste like tuti fruti.

Tuti Fruti won't be so bad. But it will probably cost you $80 for a 16 ounce cut...

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
This is one of those stories I literally could not believe when I read it, but I've checked my calendar and it isn't April fools so I'm going to guess it's true.

As the worst drought in half a century has ravaged this year's U.S. corn crop and driven corn prices sky high, the market for alternative feed rations for beef and dairy cows has also skyrocketed. Brokers are gathering up discarded food products and putting them out for the highest bid to feed lot operators and dairy producers, who are scrambling to keep their animals fed. In the mix are cookies, gummy worms, marshmallows, fruit loops, orange peels, even dried cranberries. Cattlemen are feeding virtually anything they can get their hands on that will replace the starchy sugar content traditionally delivered to the animals through corn

Link

This has to qualify as one of the most insane things I've read in a while, I'm not going to pretend I'm a Bovine nutrition expert but if I were going to put together a list of things that might be good for a Cow to eat then Marshmallows wouldn't be on it, I wonder if they have thought of trying something crazy like feeding the Cows Grass before resorting to cookies?

For anyone with any knowledge of farming I would like to know what exactly did Farmers feed cows before the massive subsidies on corn came about and why don't they go back to that now?

L
L
the economics [and politics] of greed
talk about going full retard

gummie worms and cookies?

apparently these people live in an isolated world all their own.

1st certain beekeepers decide to simply take ALL the honey and feed the bees sugar water.
sugar being as addictive as heroin [try going with out a few days if you don't believe me] now bees are
are ignoring flowers and feeding off discarded soda cans and coffee cups.
the final product is this watery "honey-syrup" more like apiary junkie vomit really.

what kind of "milk" and "beef" will be the result of this?

will pink slime soon be replaced with purple or tutti-frutti slime?

EDIT

where else are these people cutting corners?
remember how mad cow disease came to be?
sheep brains in the animal feed?!!!

looks like we are simply going to have to grow our own food, and raise our own animals
there simply is no other way, as the agricultural and animal husbandry classes are intent on self destruction.

of course were going to have to do all this in armed compounds as the government mafia will come to shut you down in order to protect the livelihoods of these...
these...
pseudo-producers
edit on 23-9-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit and comment

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyguy2012

true. But that would then affect beef prices later on. Which eventually will happen with this drought. I am already seeing increased food prices and meat prices. I am also seeing a huge decline in the quality of meat that is now available.

Maybe we should apply the same principle to keep the population down to manageable levels as well? Maybe mother earth will do that by herself?

Agreed. Beef prices are going to be affected either way, which is good for us up in Canada (although at the expense of the US farmers is not a good way to profit). Try ostrich steaks or moose steaks. They are a little more expensive (unless you hunt the moose yourself) but they are way more tender then the quality of beef out there. In stores anyways. Try a local cattle farmer, they are more than willing to sell a cow (butchered and wrapped) up here, I don't know about the US though.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Let's hope next years crop is better. I would assume it is too late to save this years crop.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

I did think of the article on Bees posted earlier in the week when I first read this. It really does seem that something has gone drastically wrong with the whole food supply chain.

Is it the greed of the Farmers or of the stores buying the product demanding everything cheaper and cheaper or our own fault for wanting more and more for less and less all the time?
I think it's a combination of all of the above.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyguy2012

I would gladly pay the price as long as it is not multicolored. Should be OK I would think. Corn is yellow and grass is green and so far my steaks have all been red, or perhaps they put more coloring in?
Truth is, we have no idea what we are eatting now. And I have eaten a lot of cookies in my life and am still alive.
I will draw the line at my steak if it looks like an Oreo Double Stuff..

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join