It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[Hypothetical] Does anything we do really matter?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

You're right. The universe wouldn't miss you in the least. Nor me or anyone else. Do you have it in your head that if mankind suddenly went extinct that the universe would just close up shop? No way.

You cannot say that. The universe is everything we know, and our current reality is the only one that exists for us, therefore he/you is an intrinsic part of the universe. If he wasn't here, the universe wouldn't exist, because it can only be what it is now, to us.

I know it's a bit corny but it is true nevertheless.

And yes, without any consciousness there might as well be nothing, because then it truly wouldn't matter if something existed because there would be nothing to acknowledge existence.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Obviously??
What is it?

Why are you posting here if it doesn't matter?
oh i dunno. Maybe I was hoping someone would ask me a stupid question.... Mission Accomplished.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Kualros

Does anything we do really matter?

Yes.

From a consequentialist perspective (utilitarian), everything one does has consequences. The consequences each should strive for is what causes the greatest amount of happiness. And since, everyone is equal, you must take into account what will cause the greatest amount of happiness for the greatest number of people. Then, if you're Mill, you further distinguish between lower and higher quality pleasures- the higher ones being those that are to be our goals- and quality not quantity is the aim. Higher pleasures sometimes involve self-denial for a good cause.

Or, if you take a more Kantian perspective, one could say that a willingness to act out of reverence for Good Will is a duty. Anyone who reasons is of infinite value, and if we treat ourselves and others as the ends in themselves instead of the means to an end, then our motives are admirable. We know that something is done for Good Will (and is more moral than anything else) if it can become a universal law (or maxim). This is accessible to anyone- and is morally helpful to society.

Or, if you're religious, then you understand that we were created to commune with the Divine. So, anything we do can bring us closer to or further away from the Divine. And, as we are all icons of the Divine, then how we treat ourselves and others is important. So, what we do matters.

edit on 23-9-2012 by LeSigh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DermotMcDerp
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Obviously something matters to you.

C'mon now. Make up my mind.
Which is it:
Does it matter to me↑?
or
Do I matter to it↓?

reply to post by BrokenCircles

You exist.

Without you this reality wouldn't exist, so you matter to this reality.

Also, if nothing matters, why post a pic? Why even make the pic.
I didn't 'make that pic'. It's been saved on my computer for quite awhile now.

However, even if I had made it, it still wouldn't *snippin* matter.

It matters to you, because you exist.

You matter to reality because it could not exist without you.

Jeah, I know you didn't make the pic. It was a rethorical, general question.

~Derp

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Obviously??
What is it?

Why are you posting here if it doesn't matter?
oh i dunno. Maybe I was hoping someone would ask me a stupid question.... Mission Accomplished.

Ever heard of the phrase "there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers".

It was a very good question, obviously.

Does it not matter that you have social interaction? It matters enough to make you post.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
"We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

― Carl Sagan.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

And yes, without any consciousness there might as well be nothing, because then it truly wouldn't matter if something existed because there would be nothing to acknowledge existence.

This is a purely human-centered idea. We think that consciousness is the only reason for anything and everything to exist. Yet, there are dumb animals that live and die in the wild without ever seeing a human. Do you think it matters to them that we can think deep thoughts?

Out there in the universe, when a sun goes supernova, swells up and destroys all the planets orbiting it, do you think this happens for us even though we don't see it, hear it, or even think about it happening?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

This is a purely human-centered idea. We think that consciousness is the only reason for anything and everything to exist.

I'm not even talking about humans or animals. I am talking about consciousness. And yes, that is what I think and know. Most people actually don't.

I think the consensus is the other way around.

Out there in the universe, when a sun goes supernova, swells up and destroys all the planets orbiting it, do you think this happens for us even though we don't see it, hear it, or even think about it happening?

It isn't about us. It is about consciousness and existence.

Nothing can exist without consciousness, because existence needs consciousness to acknowledge it.

Simple as that.

It's not just mumbo jumbo, Quantum Physics basically proves this.

Yet, there are dumb animals that live and die in the wild without ever seeing a human. Do you think it matters to them that we can think deep thoughts?

How do you know these animals exist?

edit on 23-9-2012 by DermotMcDerp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Do you matter to it ??

If you mean reality,the cosmos,planet earth then sorry i'm afraid not,neither do I or any one person.Theres 7 billion of us on this planet now,human life is very cheap.If I post this reply then suddenly go up in smoke it'd barely make a ripple in reality.

What matters to you ??

Cant tell you that you have decide the value of your life n what matters.
Dont take this wrong but it sounds like you're losing your way a bit n lacking purpose n your looking for n
a meaning to your life,for what matters.

As I said your one person in billions,meaningless,insignificant (as I am too !!) but your here now n we get one life to live,clocks ticking it's better tö live it than sit around wondering why ???

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
This is an internal question I struggle with from time to time. I think the answer to this question ultimately depends upon the context in which you view yourself in relation to reality. The less specifically you define your existence in relation to the Universe around you, the less meaning and importance your actions will carry. The more specifically you view your existence in relation to the World around you, the more meaning and significance your actions will carry.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Thanks for the good replies, everyone. Certainly food for thought on a number of different levels.

And yes, I've lost my way a bit. More to the point I've lost my way as it relates to my chosen orientation and natural tendencies (Service-to-Others) and my hope that Humanity would ascend beyond the need to harm one another sooner rather than later.

That's what happens when circumstances and life in general disappoint us. So yeah, I'm little bit "beaten down", discouraged and frustrated. Things don't seem to be getting better.

It's not my place to "guide" Humanity or any other such ego-maniacal flights of fancy. I don't have any ideas that would fix everything in five minutes either. Just another mixed-up human being who tends to question why all of the ugliness in the world needs to exist in the first place.

Something that comforts me is that there IS such a "quantum reality" (probably several ) where this ugly and pervasive "grindhouse" BS world is a much better place to live in. Sadly, that's not our particular reality.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
It matters if somebody remembers it. Recalls it, hears/reads about our actions. Our existence here. Perhaps not even other humans, mayhap our civilization will be uncovered by visitors of another species from another galaxy in some distant future. That would still count, in my mind.

But if we're just cosmic dust blowing on this forgotten Sol system forevermore? Then maybe not. I don't believe that, however, someone knows of us, IMO.

Unless we're talking about a life after this one ends. In which case each of us needs to valuate how much our positive or negative energy we have generated here will follow us and affect our course/

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Every single thing we do in life actually matters. One way or another it has an effect. The internet is a good example of a mass effect. If I say one thing and someone repeats it than it can result into a big change in humanity. It could also alienate someone and that changes how they talk about it in the future which can negatively effect the future in an opposite direction. Overall, unless you have crudentials of some sort, we make little impact on the world. TPTB in each organization hold a tight discipline and fight off change......they are loosing power though with the internet, the truth is coming out......How much longer are tptb going to allow the net.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
“Relax. What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind!” ~ Homer Simpson

My personal belief? We are a type of monkey cursed with consciousness; we are the authors and creators of all of our problems. Things could be simple, but instead we are forever restless in the pursuit of knowledge and material objects that do not matter; if you think they matter, then never mind.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Ever heard of the phrase "there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers".
lol. Of course I have heard the phrase, but it's not true.

It was a very good question, obviously.
Once again, not obvious to me.....

Does it not matter that you have social interaction? It matters enough to make you post.
This conversation could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on, but nothing will change either of our viewpoints. That which matters to you, does not matter to me. Even if I did actually want to change your opinion on the matter, I would not be able to, but it doesn't matter, because I don't want to anyways lol.... and vice versa...

If I did actually still feel that certain things were more important, an opinion-based conversation between faceless me and faceless others on an online message board, would not be at the top of my list of that which matters.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Kualros

Please don't say such things! You do matter very much. Everyone does. I believe that each and everyone one of us does and can make a difference be it very small or quite large. We are here on our own free will to do, say, think on whatever we want, even if it does not seem as though it would make much difference. We humans have a choice to fulfill the most potential we have here on earth.

So again, you matter to me, others may not feel the same but I never think of anyone as useless or just a speck. It always saddens me to see such things said about oneself. =(

Cheer up friend! =D

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I'm not even talking about humans or animals. I am talking about consciousness.

It's not just mumbo jumbo, Quantum Physics basically proves this.

First off, quantum does nothing of the sort. The only thing it proves is that everything is weird at that level. And, I propose that it's only weird because we don't understand it yet.

As for consciousness, please explain how thinking occurs without a machine (a brain or computer), and where is the transmitter that sends the information that creates the universe. AND, where is the receiver that translates the information into matter?

Gotta tell ya, between religion, gods, angles and demons, the idea of non-physical consciousness has got to be the most unbelievable idea of them all.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
The multiverse wouldn't be the multi verse without you because you are the multiverse experiencing itself.

All matters as experience matter, experience is obviously desirable or else...why would it be...

all is experience...

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
Don't throw it away by wasting your time wondering why you exist. You just do, that's all. No purpose, no reason, no destiny, we're born, we live, we die. Enjoy the ride as best you can.

Sounds pretty arrogant to me. Trust me, your as ignorant as the rest of us.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
Don't throw it away by wasting your time wondering why you exist. You just do, that's all. No purpose, no reason, no destiny, we're born, we live, we die. Enjoy the ride as best you can.

Sounds pretty arrogant to me. Trust me, your as ignorant as the rest of us.

Ahh, I see now. You believe you were born with a purpose. That all 7 billion of us have a mission passed down from some super being. Yeah, ummm, good luck with that.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join