It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Riots break out at Foxconn factory in China

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ClicheCalvicade

Originally posted by boncho
I hope anyone who criticizes this isn't on a computer... Oh wait...

Better not be online at all, in which case you can't offer your opinion on a forum like this one. Anyone who buys anything out of China supports these types of conditions. And while people complain about not enough jobs, these ones have all been sent overseas to places like this, and India, so the Western world can download the newest app, so we can buy crap at Walmart that is cheaper than anywhere else.

Myself I can live with the fact that I enjoy a lot of my luxuries off the backs of others. It's not ideal, but it is a thousand year old story.

The real question is can you?

You would be hard pressed to find any and I do mean any consumable product that hasn't been slaved over to bring it to market. It's the way the world is.

You're confused aren't you?

Just pay them more. Who says they can't have decent lives? You have enough money, simply fork out more. But that, you cannot do because you are satisfied with the status quo. Imagine if you were born elsewhere.

Now I'm confused. If you are suggesting I pay more for my phone (which stores wouldn't allow), the money would never reach the workers. Only way to make a difference is to become the decision-maker. I really don't see what you are suggesting. I understood bonchois point, its hard to find any product which isn't produced in China, and its incredibly hard to make a difference, and chances are even if you tried you wouldn't make a big difference if you succeeded. Hence he's just going to keep living, and he's correct that most people who disagree with the attitude would do anything differently.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TritonTaranis

those pics dont even begin to show the hellish conditions they endure at the foxcon factory... its the worst in asia.. words cant even start to describe it... had two friends who worked there who committad suicide because of how bad that damn place is... never will own any damn apple product out of memory and respect for those who died at their damn factory...

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
From wikipedia:

The suicide rate at Foxconn during the suicide spate remained lower than that of the general Chinese population,[8] as well as all 50 states in the United States.

en.wikipedia.org...

I am sure there are many shortcomings in the treatments of thier workers, but suicides do not seem to show any evidence of this,

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Man crushed by steamroller by orders of Chinese govt.

Just another roadkill victim on the way to 'progress'?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Unchecked capitalism. HUGE supply of hands, low demand, you offer people board and room and food and not much else, for 14 hour shifts. They have to work long just to survive, while they see other people, getting rich off their work.

Wouldnt you go mad if there wouldnt be anything good in your life, just work eat and sleep?

Originally posted by okyouwin
This put Apple stock into a tailspin.

Yes these working conditions are just outrageous. And still with basically slave labor, these damned phones cost 800 bucks.I guess the parts are pricy. Still there aren't that many parts. Profit must be ungodly. I'm sure they would tell us the margins are very thin.

If I'm allowed to curious? (And I'm sure this would be the place to be curious, because of all the capable research people here.), what would an I-Phone cost if produced by properly compensated workers? Would there still be profit at $800.00

An Iphone costs about 200 to manufacture. I do not have all the facts, but I would guess even if you add in research and marketing, then yes there would be still a healthy profit, but, you know, less. Then there is the revenue beyond the physical hardware, iTunes and whatnot.

But Apple is just one of the companies. There are companies operating with a lower profit margin. The consumer is relentless, always worried to get screwed, always looking for the best price. You either take what China and India has to offer, or you can not produce competitively. China and India need to change, with no rosier prospects to flee to either. Maybe a company like apple can help to bring forward such change in the country, for itself and its competitors.
edit on 25-9-2012 by Merinda because: (no reason given)

those pics dont even begin to show the hellish conditions they endure at the foxcon factory... its the worst in asia.. words cant even start to describe it... had two friends who worked there who committad suicide because of how bad that damn place is... never will own any damn apple product out of memory and respect for those who died at their damn factory...

Actually it is not so bad, compared to what else low low wages offer you. Elsewhere people work long hours for food and still live on the streets. Their standard of living is significantly lower than that of somebody in Europe or America on unemployment.
edit on 25-9-2012 by Merinda because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aazadan

Originally posted by okyouwin
This put Apple stock into a tailspin.

Yes these working conditions are just outrageous. And still with basically slave labor, these damned phones cost 800 bucks.I guess the parts are pricy. Still there aren't that many parts. Profit must be ungodly. I'm sure they would tell us the margins are very thin.

If I'm allowed to curious? (And I'm sure this would be the place to be curious, because of all the capable research people here.), what would an I-Phone cost if produced by properly compensated workers? Would there still be profit at $800.00

Actually, Apple has come out in the past and said that they could produce their products in the US without having to increase prices but doing so would hit their profits more than they're willing to accept. It costs about $5 in labor to make an Ipad, and about $245 in hardware/software costs. They get sold to stores wholesale for about $500, then the stores get a small markup to $600 which they're not contractually allowed to sell above (price varies per model obviously). Apples profit margin would shrink from 100% to about 15% if they manufactured in the US. They're not willing to do that.

I knew I could count on you guys. Thanks for that information.

So 15% vs., 100% It's a no thought needed.
However, imagine those extra profits being put out as wages and how that might influence market activity in the way of demand. My be that excessive profits parked in unproductive ways is not the way to go. Put the money in play Prime the pump, keep the flow flowing.

Or could it be that resource limitations can't fuel that growth? This would seem the most obvious reason for hoarding profits. But perhaps there is something more basic in play. May be that there is no stomach out there for real risk reward. It don't take much in the way of business acumen to exploit a five dollar labor cost on a seven hundred dollar retail item. These guys are merely scavengers. Where's the man who knows how to marry industry and production with a market that derives it's strength and sustenance form it's involvement with said production. We call this long term thinking and it appears there is not much out there to be seen.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

You know what? Every time you answer a post you're put down Romney, Bush, or Republicans in general.
Can't you honestly respond to a posting without throwing your politics into it? Without a doubt you're an Obama supporter but, I'm not. After a while it gets old and all you're doing is making others see you as some sort of left wing fanatic.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join