It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Riots break out at Foxconn factory in China

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

1. Apple and their greedy senior staff claiming ridiculous pay for sitting behind a desk.
2. The factory owners who again claim massive profits for doing nothing.
3. The Chinese government for allowing these corporations to abuse their citizens for profit.
4. The owners of iPhone's who conveniently ignore their responsibility when supporting these corporations.

So what kind of computer are you on and did you even bother checking if it's on Foxconn's customer sheet?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by WakeUpNowSnap
reply to post by sylent6

Communism is Godless religion that has killed 100 million.

The word Ghetto comes to mind.
edit on 23-9-2012 by WakeUpNowSnap because: (no reason given)

So if Communism is Godless and kills so many, just what does that mean Capitalism is when it is the one exploiting it?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

No, there is no option to go live off the land and say "the hell with it". And is giving up on the concept of a technological society really better anyway? I don't think so, our technological society is the obvious way to improve the standard of life for everybody, that's the point of it, it's what we all collectively strive for... The skyscrapers of the central business districts don't produce food or housing, for the most part, neither do most of the factories. For better or worse, it's all there for an ideal.

We contribute to many problems just getting through our daily lives, we have no way around that, the only way is through the middle.

Causes come and go. Even those you think remain, they pervert until they are no longer what they were. Cynical? I don't think so, there are reasons why the perversion of good causes happen. It's just a problem that needs a solution.

I don't think it's ok that people push the World's troubles to the back of their minds while they get on with their lives. I think it's something people are taught to do through childhood and adolescence. We have to live our lives, but the lack of dwelling on these problems which are heinous, it's not ok.

Dwelling on these issues may be unpleasant, but to not do so is to choose to be less humane. It's the lack of people being deeply troubled by ongoing, global exploitation that is willfully malign.

I believe that it's not really the consumer's money that supports slave labour. I believe that its the willingness to not be deeply injured and troubled by knowing about it which is what strongly supports it. It's right that people should feel the pain of others, the more profoundly, the better.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Looks like a prison to me and they are being held without parole!!

UNTIL THEY WORK THEIR ASSES OFF AND THE JOB IS DONE!

*Hear the crack of the whip???

And its the people who go all crazy because the next "great phone" has arrived who keep them there.
edit on 24-9-2012 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Nothing to worry about, it's probably just a bunch of unemployed people who are rioting to get inside the factory and obtain one of those highly sought after jobs.

If you don't believe me, just listen to Mitt Romney explain why they have fences topped with barbed wire and guard towers around the factory.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17
Ahhhhhh mannnnn. If foxconn employees rebel I'm going to have to pay more for electronics.

America is so morally hypocritical. Slavery is demonized and illegal here, but it's fine for our companies to do it over seas.

Both China and US are at high fault when it comes to cheap labor markets and lack of minimal working conditions.

That is the big lie. A lot of oil is used to transport the basic materials needed to China and then again to send the goods back over here. All this drives oil prices up which raises the price of everything we buy. The overall cost of goods would not be higher if they were instead made in the USA. We pay for increased corporate profits through higher energy costs. Of all the smart poeple in the world. I have never seen anyone ever bring this point out.

as for Foxcomm, that is the future we face in the USA as well if we don't make immediate change.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Were they fighting over Apple products?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Yes, very sad inDeed as to purpose.

(below, spoken with chinese/american accent)

Fo tousand o' year we servie witout moni.
Todai, we can no servie witout id.
We like to go baack to waay thing use to be.
We wan too share oww tiime and share our labor so we slave no mO.
We no own our land no moor.
Big multi--ti--nation--al corp--corp-o-rape-tiions tak ow land.
We no alow to be self sufficient no moor.
Written law getinway.
We no haav faith no mo, no longa loook up; no?
We suffa and we no aknowlege sol no mo.
We as meat to other.
We wish go bak to ole time when we share dooties, labor, so weee hav tyme to be free.
We wish fa famili to coome bak wit fellowship, communion.
Big man no happi needer as thei, they, separate from fellow man, es-es-esstrange from humanidy.
Some sai work of devvvil, sssatan.
we no know, we loss fait.
ohh no, mus go, dey in hallwai in roll-call, don't wanna looose job, get spankin.
buy. !
edit on 24-9-2012 by Bluemoonsine because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdocpublishing
reply to post by sylent6

Hey,

That is exactly what I did. My work conditions became intolerable and I quit. I walked off the job, called HR and told them to get a new manager in their because I was not coming back.

11 years with the company, top salary for my position, 5 weeks paid vacation, stock, blah, blah, blah and I let it all go because the management left me miserable. You can't have a life if you work 6 days a week and your time left is spent anxious about being contacted by work and constantly being contacted by work.

It was scary I wont lie about that. I did not get unemployment because I quit so I had no income at all, instantly. After five months when I found my new job I had $185.00 in my bank account and a few grand in available credit.

I am so much happier now and standing up for myself was one of the most satisfying and empowering experiences of my life.

I just wanted to add my two cents that just quitting is an option.

in the west you have the luxury of being able to just quit if your not happy... in asia life isnt that easy ....

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

It will be here pretty soon if we dont get our house in order. It will be like the company stores in the coal mines or the lumber industries of old.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
Well yeah, they're definitely sick of the low pay but also the living and work conditions. There's a reason why Foxconn has had to deal with suicides.

I'm still confused as to why they live at factory in dorms.

Holly #hit China has militarised work

this is just pure utter desperation, its like a psychopath is the country's work minister

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
This put Apple stock into a tailspin.

Yes these working conditions are just outrageous. And still with basically slave labor, these damned phones cost 800 bucks.I guess the parts are pricy. Still there aren't that many parts. Profit must be ungodly. I'm sure they would tell us the margins are very thin.

If I'm allowed to curious? (And I'm sure this would be the place to be curious, because of all the capable research people here.), what would an I-Phone cost if produced by properly compensated workers? Would there still be profit at $800.00

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I can't find your pics online anywhere....where did you get them from?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by okyouwin
This put Apple stock into a tailspin.

Yes these working conditions are just outrageous. And still with basically slave labor, these damned phones cost 800 bucks.I guess the parts are pricy. Still there aren't that many parts. Profit must be ungodly. I'm sure they would tell us the margins are very thin.

If I'm allowed to curious? (And I'm sure this would be the place to be curious, because of all the capable research people here.), what would an I-Phone cost if produced by properly compensated workers? Would there still be profit at $800.00

Actually, Apple has come out in the past and said that they could produce their products in the US without having to increase prices but doing so would hit their profits more than they're willing to accept. It costs about $5 in labor to make an Ipad, and about $245 in hardware/software costs. They get sold to stores wholesale for about $500, then the stores get a small markup to $600 which they're not contractually allowed to sell above (price varies per model obviously). Apples profit margin would shrink from 100% to about 15% if they manufactured in the US. They're not willing to do that.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekingAlpha
Seeing these pictures truly breaks my heart. Just look at these people! They are caged up like F'in animals working 12 hour shifts for at least 6 days a week. I don't wish this type of treatment on my worst enemies but this is happening all for the all mighty dollar/yuan.

Dollar has little to do with it.... what we have is 1.3 BILLION people living in a communist country...

Would you like me to list 100s of other places in the world that are worst.... People in a America just do not understand what the world is like and that our poorest would be well off in much of the world.

Maybe if you guys one day actually understood the world is NOT like America you would really understand how special we have it here.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

Romney has nothing to do with it? That's why he visited a Chinese factory that he outsourced to.

This is such a circle you seem to be stuck in...why do you complain about Romney and say nothing about 800 billion the President wasted...or the other Trillions added on his watch. Even if you say a trillion was from Bush, and I don't deny that, it still leaves 5 trillion added on his watch.

Why do you think the cost of living has doubled in 4 years AND not getting any better any time soon...maybe...just maybe it is because our President has failed in a BIG way... Now you can blame it all on Bain and Romney, but come on.....

Doesn't really matter to me...the cost of living can triple and I'm ok.... how about you?

edit on 24-9-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by elouina

But this isn't an issue where you just jump up and shout "Corporations are evil", it makes you look very simple, very dumb.

Being very simple and dumb, is seeing how human beings are being treated in this factory, and not getting up in arms about it. All along while defending Apple. Meanwhile, the "evil" company (Apple in this case) is making 12 billion dollars in only 3 months. So Apple buys services from Foxconn, and obviously are claiming that they are not at fault because this Foxconn middleman exists. But Apple stands in an upper hand position where they can dictate how the employees are treated. And can stipulate minimum wages. Oh yeah, but this would mean less profits. Whoopsie! Apple is evil, plain and simple. And Foxconn is just as evil.

edit on 25-9-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
And just how many of you own Iphones here at ATS. Funny I do not hear one thing about boycotting Apple. The American public is just as sick and deluded as the world around them.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Very sad pictures indeed. It looks like a prison, certainly not like a nice home-perhaps they go in for 2 weeks, then 2 weeks at home or something? Like with mining.

Originally posted by TheEndisNigh
And just how many of you own Iphones here at ATS. Funny I do not hear one thing about boycotting Apple. The American public is just as sick and deluded as the world around them.

I don't, I have a Nokia phone. Unfortunately even Finland makes most of its products in China these days (my phone says "Made in China"). And Nokia recently had huge job-cuts, a lot of which happened in Finland, so its clearly being off-sourced even more. But what phone is not made in China?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
I hope anyone who criticizes this isn't on a computer... Oh wait...

Better not be online at all, in which case you can't offer your opinion on a forum like this one. Anyone who buys anything out of China supports these types of conditions. And while people complain about not enough jobs, these ones have all been sent overseas to places like this, and India, so the Western world can download the newest app, so we can buy crap at Walmart that is cheaper than anywhere else.

Myself I can live with the fact that I enjoy a lot of my luxuries off the backs of others. It's not ideal, but it is a thousand year old story.

The real question is can you?

You would be hard pressed to find any and I do mean any consumable product that hasn't been slaved over to bring it to market. It's the way the world is.

You're confused aren't you?

Just pay them more. Who says they can't have decent lives? You have enough money, simply fork out more. But that, you cannot do because you are satisfied with the status quo. Imagine if you were born elsewhere.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join