Nick jr commercial free mind control

page: 1
2

log in

join

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Is nick jr commercial free because kids will lose attention during commercials, making it easier to control them by putting them in a trance like state and at the same time putting parents at ease due to the saftey of commercial free tv. Just an observation from the little tv time we had today.




posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Nick jr is just for me



posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaedur
 


I assume its commercial free because you have to pay for a subscription.

I think tv commercials are a leading cause in ADD, ADHD, i mean commercials having children changing their thinking, changing there focus every 30 seconds so the mind develops a sense where it feels this is normal, to focus and then shift focus every 30 seconds. Children being raised by television i mean. but i dont know, ive never done or read a study, or what have you.



posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I assume this in the US?

I only ask as my 2 year old son watched Nick Jr and it has adverts here.



posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by gostr
reply to post by Vaedur
 


I assume its commercial free because you have to pay for a subscription.

I think tv commercials are a leading cause in ADD, ADHD, i mean commercials having children changing their thinking, changing there focus every 30 seconds so the mind develops a sense where it feels this is normal, to focus and then shift focus every 30 seconds. Children being raised by television i mean. but i dont know, ive never done or read a study, or what have you.
no its part of the regular cable package like the commercial channels.
edit on 23-9-2012 by Vaedur because: Spelling



posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
I assume this in the US?

I only ask as my 2 year old son watched Nick Jr and it has adverts here.
yes



posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaedur
 


Actually Nick Jr being advertisement free is antithetical to the entire notion of suggestibility and advertising. Kids are one of the easiest groups to market to and most effective target audiences. When kids want something really bad, parents tend to give in. And it's unbelievably easy to make kids want things.

In all honesty all I can come up with is that the folks at Nick Jr must have chosen a commercial free format specifically to avoid this from happening. That seems contrary - but Nick is owned by Viacom... and they may have opted to avoid potential parent backlash about undo advertising, feeling the benefit outweighed the cost. Having no advertising ups parent confidence and comfort - thus also ups ratings.

And you just know that some parent, somewhere, at some time, would have figured out a way to sue over a commercial that caused some kid to do something - with the parent claiming "I trusted Nick Jr to entertain little Billy while I did laundry... and the next thing I knew...."

Besides, Viacom is not hurting for advertising dollars from the other entities they own and control.

~Heff



posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by Vaedur
 


Actually Nick Jr being advertisement free is antithetical to the entire notion of suggestibility and advertising. Kids are one of the easiest groups to market to and most effective target audiences. When kids want something really bad, parents tend to give in. And it's unbelievably easy to make kids want things.

In all honesty all I can come up with is that the folks at Nick Jr must have chosen a commercial free format specifically to avoid this from happening. That seems contrary - but Nick is owned by Viacom... and they may have opted to avoid potential parent backlash about undo advertising, feeling the benefit outweighed the cost. Having no advertising ups parent confidence and comfort - thus also ups ratings.

And you just know that some parent, somewhere, at some time, would have figured out a way to sue over a commercial that caused some kid to do something - with the parent claiming "I trusted Nick Jr to entertain little Billy while I did laundry... and the next thing I knew...."

Besides, Viacom is not hurting for advertising dollars from the other entities they own and control.

~Heff

except the entire show is advertising a product. The toys and stageshows related to each of their shows. So its like selling commercial time to yourself, i do beleve.



posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by gostr
reply to post by Vaedur
 


I think tv commercials are a leading cause in ADD, ADHD, i mean commercials having children changing their thinking, changing there focus every 30 seconds so the mind develops a sense where it feels this is normal, to focus and then shift focus every 30 seconds. Children being raised by television i mean. but i dont know, ive never done or read a study, or what have you.


Reply to OP and gostr.

I remember nick jr being commercial free when I was younger, but the shows back then were better written and slower paced than today - I know this because I've re-watched some of the shows I saw when I was a kid on Netflix and compared it to the nickelodeon shows my nephews have watched.

PBS has always been commercial free with very few advertisements during their five minute breaks. I don't think they are into brainwashing, but it is possible. We love it because what we watch has more education and value than what nickelodeon offers. It also doesn't have the endless toy, food and other obnoxious commercials that occur during children's programing. PBS is also more slower paced than typical programs on Nickelodeon, which leads me to the ADD comment.
I believe it's the TV. shows combined with the commercials that can contribute to ADD issues.
For example, my nephews are nickelodeon children, they grew up (and are still growing up) with sponge bob and other programs that give me ADD and irritate me when I had to watch it with them. They also were obsessed with the commercials and the products sold. My sister tends to give into them when they demand a certain toy, or food product. They will not eat homemade foods and all foods have to be from a name brand package. This is my sisters fault, but I believe there choices and behaviors (they have some issues, and the school has tried to label them), and attention span, have been greatly influenced by the TV my sister let them watch.
They have had speech development issues, anger issues, attention span issues, etc..
My daughter, who can not be picky (I will not let her), and has never watched a nickelodeon program (except Angry beavers an old show I grew up with), has great vocabulary, excellent attention span and has developed on time, despite being many years younger than her cousins. I think it's my husband and my influence along with what we allow her to watch and consume that prevents her from following her cousins path.





new topics
top topics
 
2

log in

join