It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran readies domestic Internet system, blocks Google

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Iran readies domestic Internet system, blocks Google

in.reuters.com

Iran plans to switch its citizens onto a domestic Internet network in what officials say is a bid to improve cyber security but which many Iranians fear is the latest way to control their access to the web.

The announcement, made by a government deputy minister on Sunday, came as state television announced Google Inc's search engine and its email service would be blocked "within a few hours".

"Google and Gmail will be filtered throughout the country until further notice," an official identified only by his last name, Khoramabadi, said, without giving further details.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Iran Plans to Unplug Internet, Create Its Own
Iran Cut Internet Access

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
So you think you aer hard done by with surveillance and censorship??????

lol - not even close!

This is what awaits the world when the Ummah finally takes over - it's not some conspiratorial fantasy, not some deranged paranoia.

Iran has one of the biggest Internet filters of any country in the world, preventing normal Iranians from accessing countless sites on the official grounds they are offensive or criminal.

they have signaled it for a while (see the old threads linked to) - but now - behold the future!!

in.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Great post.

According to the ONI data, Iran was the worst ranked, with "pervasive" filtering in the political, social and internet tools categories and "substantial" for conflict/security filtering. Tested in 2011, Iran's filtering was rated as being "highly" consistent and had "medium" transparency.

Iran was rated the country with the most internet censorship BEFORE this. A nationalized internet only makes it worse.

Worth noting that North Korea wasn't included in the study.

Anyone interested on internet censorship in various countries, here.
edit on 9/23/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Another way to look at it, with all the war propaganda being aimed at Iran, and the concerted effort being pushed in Washington for war with Iran, and the fact the Internet is an invention of DARPA and the US military, it would be kinda crazy for Iran to remain a part of the Internet. How much good that will do them (dumping the net for their own version) remains to be seen, since most of the hardware (routers, network switches, etc.) are still western tech., and potentially sources for foreign intrusion. I suspect censoring their own population isn't the main drive behind this as it is to rid themselves of a serious liability (relying on foreign network technology) in the face of potential war.
edit on 23-9-2012 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

That's a great point. A person like myself, a conspiracy bent thinker, may be pretty unnerved when looking at computer tech from the West having grown up in an Eastern nation.

When people talk about the potential for a massive cyber attack on America, I don't by into it all that much. The information systems are our invention, if anyone is prone to such an attack it would be a foreign rival.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

can you blame them?
i DONT AGREE WITH CENSORSHIP.

but when the country is under cyber attack from the biggest mil in the world what would you do?

rem stuxnet duku flame ect?

the american mil considers the entire net a battle feild,

do you expect them to just sit there?

really?

xploder

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

If it was actually about defending from cyber attacks then maybe you would have a far point....but it isn't.

It is about making theocratic control over everything the citizens of Iran total and absolute, and blocking the hole in that control that is hte internet, and which actually allows them to express themselves as they wish sometimes - something that cannot be allowed lest they say they don't like islam or the govt.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Isn't Iran being blamed for a cyber attack on some banks here last week? I know JP Morgan Chase had one.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by XPLodER

If it was actually about defending from cyber attacks then maybe you would have a far point....but it isn't.

It is about making theocratic control over everything the citizens of Iran total and absolute, and blocking the hole in that control that is hte internet, and which actually allows them to express themselves as they wish sometimes - something that cannot be allowed lest they say they don't like islam or the govt.

make no mistake, there is a very large fleet of mil ships on their maritime boarder,
you seek to make this about internet freedoms,
but miss the point,

they are under attack and if internet freedoms are lost, it is a cost of being under attack,
not because they wish to enslave their own people. although that will properly be a side effect of their closing the net. but how do you expect them to act when threatened?

xploder

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

There has always been a very large fleet off their shores - and this censorship is NOT about loss of freedoms from a militayr attack.

It is about losing freedoms as a part of normal civil (or religious in this case!). Iran freely admits this is about domestic freedom - not military threats.

Trying to link this to the military threat is disinfo - trying to distract from eth fact that Iran is actualy a nasty repressive country that is not nice to its people!

You should covering up for a repressive regime.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

reply to post by XPLodER

There has always been a very large fleet off their shores - and this censorship is NOT about loss of freedoms from a militayr attack.

you try to simplify the situation to suit your own narrow view,
there is a lot of complexities to what is happening in iran at the moment,
half the world is threatening them, i ask again what do you think any normal country facing attack would do?

It is about losing freedoms as a part of normal civil (or religious in this case!). Iran freely admits this is about domestic freedom - not military threats.

you seam to be projecting that point of view but you havent considered the full equation,
there under cyber attack, how did you think they should react?

Trying to link this to the military threat is disinfo - trying to distract from eth fact that Iran is actualy a nasty repressive country that is not nice to its people!

and discounting obvious events makes it look like you want to demonize iran, ajenda anyone?
how can you discount the ships and cyber attacks?
oh they have nothing to do with your ajenda

You should covering up for a repressive regime.

you should take into account what a nation under threat of attack will do to protect itself

instead of ignore the obvious to push "your view"

i am not disinfo, you are

if the iranian "people" want help to circumvent censorship they will get it

xploder
edit on 23-9-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

well thats highly productive.
care to coment on the iranian net?

or is this your idea of diplomacy?

xploder

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER

reply to post by XPLodER

you try to simplify the situation to suit your own narrow view,
there is a lot of complexities to what is happening in iran at the moment,
half the world is threatening them, i ask again what do you think any normal country facing attack would do?

They started plans for this years ago - trying to say it is only a result of the current crisis is just disinfo.

Why do you feel the need to be an apologist for Iranian repression?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The really sad part is now their propaganda machine will be complete. The citizens will have no way to fact check or get alternate view points so they can learn and grow.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
The citizens will have no way to fact check or get alternate view points so they can learn and grow.
The citizens will have bigger concerns if Israel gets its wish.

Like staying alive.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

So beign under threat of attack is a reasonable excuse to stop freedom of expression and limit knowledge?

do you think that would be OK where you live too??

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

It's simply a demonstration.
What's next?

An Iranian version of China's great internet Google firewall?

Meet the new Boss.
Worse than the present boss!

edit on 23-9-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

reply to post by Tw0Sides

So beign under threat of attack is a reasonable excuse to stop freedom of expression and limit knowledge?

do you think that would be OK where you live too??
i will answer honestly.
I have no knowledge of how to prepare for war, or the steps taken before such an event.
We, you and I, dont have the full reasons for this action taken, so anything said is just speculation.
Countries in time of turmoil do "turn off" the net, this is not new.
Iran is a stricter country than ours, and this is something for their citizens to deal with.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

They started plans for this years ago - trying to say it is only a result of the current crisis is just disinfo.

you dont think the threatened attack would be used as impetus to enact the filters?

THATS THE SECOND TIME YOU HAVE CALLED ME DIS INFO

you sure are good at deflecting,
WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WERE IN THEIR POSITION?
thats the third time i have asked that question,

Why do you feel the need to be an apologist for Iranian repression?

why do you feel the need to demonize iran?

i know their censorship will be useless in the face of the internet.
just look at what happened in egypt.

i apologise for no man,
your snippy because i pointed out the obvious flaw in your assessment of the situation.

THERE ARE HUGE NUMBERS OF WAR SHIPS ON THEIR DOORSTEP,
THEY ARE UNDER STATE SPONCERED CYBER ATTACK

you cant avoid these facts so you dismiss them

ok then

xploder

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join