What the hell is this strange insect I just found? [PICS]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I just found this strange insect in my yard. Anyone here have any idea what this is?

I'm from North West Tasmania in Australia, and I have never seen anything like this before.

Help please.

Cheers
Samuelis

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Looks like someone went to town on a small scorpion!

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Where's it's head?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Samuelis

I'd guess some kind of earwig. But I didn't realize they could be that size...

Let me see what I can find.

ETA:

Actually, I realize that it does look like part of a scorpion.
edit on 23-9-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Ive been looking for 5 minutes but I Cant find anything similar to that, I hope someone can find a source, I am quite intrigued, I have seen many insects but never one like this, the last pic looks so much like a crab claw / scorpion pincher but its an actual body! My guess is some sort of earwig but it lacks the typical head? wtf?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by scobro
Looks like someone went to town on a small scorpion!

That's what I thought at first. We don't get scorpions this size in Tasmania though. We only get the small white colored ones.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Looks like some kind of mutated crab or sea creature. It was dead and in this mutilated condition when you found it? Are you close to the sea or have you had big rain storms recently?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

maybe this?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Looks like some kind of mutated crab or sea creature. It was dead and in this mutilated condition when you found it? Are you close to the sea or have you had big rain storms recently?

Exactly what i though
a claw was cut of from a crab or a scorpion in a fight and it mutated into another creature
remind me of "the thing" in a way
never though it would be possible .. very interesting
will wait for biologist ATS expert for more details on what this thing could be

was is dead or alive whe you found it ?
edit on 9/23/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar

Yes it was in this exact state when I found it.

But no, I don't live anywhere near the sea, well at least 5k's inland on the top of a hill. And yes it rained all day yesterday. We've had a pretty wet couple of weeks down here.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
It looks like a really large psudoscorpion!

The only problem with that is from what I was just reading, they don't get nearly that big. The other thing it reminded me of was a crayfish....perhaps a bird caught one and dropped it in your yard? It looks like a crayfish with the tail ripped off to me.

Crayfish
Pseudoscorpion
edit on 23-9-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
My very first reaction was Termite...

so i did a quick gooley thingy and came up with this particular variety..
ag.arizona.edu...

so I'd guess it is related and is of the soldier type rather than a worker etc.

Hope that helps.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Are you completely sure its a biological organism and not a government spy drone?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Looks like the pincer is on it's head, to me, a bit like the Hercules Beetle.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I tried to do some research, but i got the creeps so bad i had to stop. I am a fairly tough guy, but giant creepy bugs freak me out!

I dont think its a scorpion, because in all the scorpion pics i could find the legs started on the edge of the body, not in the center like your pics.

The body also was much more narrow and tall than most of the bugs i could find. They all seemed to have much "flatter" bodies.

I can't help but wonder if that isnt the remains of a crawdad, or a crayfish. Maybe an animal pulled it from someone's trash and left it there?

GL in your search!

DC

ETA: looks like Darkblade71 beat me to it. The more i look, the more im convinced its a crayfish.
edit on 9/23/2012 by xDeadcowx because: credit where credit is due

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

My first thought was that it looked like a crayfish (or crawdad). On a second look it might be a termite of some kin as suggested above me, wouldn't be too much of a stretch. Lastly, of course, it might be a scorpion though it doesn't quite look right for that....

edit on 23-9-2012 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

I'm with you on this...I think

But I would say it is a very very odd looking turmite, a giant too

It's that odd looking it Maybe even a Giant mutant ninja turmite!

edit on 23-9-2012 by zerozero00 because: To add giant as it is a giant if it's a turmite

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I have to go to work now so I'll check back in tonight. So scorpion is ruled out as they don't usually have second set of pinchers. Mutant crayfish is looking likely. Cheers

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
At the risk of being off topic to a degree. I don't know what it is... BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD... KILL IT!

Thing creeps me out!

I live in Georgia, in a wooded area, and frequently come across creepy crawlies that I've never seen before and cannot identify. It's a strange world to live in when you come to the point where you say "Oh, thank God, it's just a roach...."

~Heff

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by xDeadcowx

I'm pretty sure that's what it is too.

Used to catch them a lot and use them as bait or boil them with butter when we were camping...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join