It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Ancestors and Isolation Tanks - A New Frontier of Reality

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Hello ATS,

I feel like I might be on to something here, so I figured it was time for me to share.

We as humans are so limited in our perspective of reality. Our five senses (assuming they all even work properly) are fairly useful for survival, yet mankind has always wondered about what else we may be missing in the world around us. For instance, the controversial sixth sense which I consider Intuition --- do you ever get that feeling like there is so much more going on that you just aren't able to perceive?

What happens to the Mind when we cut ourselves off from those 5 senses/the reality created by those 5 senses?

Did our ancestors use these sensory deprivation/isolation tanks to reach a broader plane of existence?

I was in the chatroom talking to Leolady, we were exploring a very interesting thread here: Connection between the Ecuador Black Pyramid, UFOs, and the ancient Mayan Stargate artifacts?

When she brought up this very fascinating thread, which may be related to the one above: Pyramid Granite Sarcophagus

The second link instantly made me jump in my seat, because I remembered something I had learned about a couple of years ago... Isolation tanks:

An isolation tank is a lightless, soundproof tank inside which subjects float in salt water at skin temperature. They were first used by John C. Lilly[1] in 1954 to test the effects of sensory deprivation. Such tanks are now also used for meditation and relaxation and in alternative medicine. The isolation tank was originally called the sensory deprivation tank. Other names for the isolation tank include flotation tank, John C. Lilly tank, REST tank, sensory attenuation tank, and think tank.

Wikipedia

More from source: One hypothesis was that the energy sources are biological and internal and do not depend upon the outside environment. It was argued that if all stimuli are cut off to the brain then the brain would go to sleep. Lilly decided to test this hypothesis and, with this in mind, created an environment which totally isolated an individual from external stimulation. From here, he studied the origin of consciousness and its relation to the brain.

Now checking the second link I provided, could those granite sarcophagus's have been used for the exact same purpose? Did they know something we didn't about a new frontier of reality, hidden to us by our olfactory, human limitations?

Delving into those who have jumped in the tank, it's exciting to hear these people's stories. It's as if they have discovered a new world, one which we may very well be existing within without even being capable of perceiving it.

At the very least this tank is capable of inducing the Dream Realm upon the experiencer. Perhaps the usage of this tank, can help one harness their ability of Lucid dreaming... The possibilities may very well be endless --- That in itself is enough of a reason for me to look into building one, on days that I just don't feel like waking up

Please view these videos with a mature and open mind:

Joe Rogan explains the importance of the Isolation Tank:

(edited video, exempt of profanities)

(Warning, profanities used in the following)

Recorded experience directly after 60 minutes in the tank:

Post Script: Unfortunately there are certain aspects to these experiences which do not fit in with the T&C guidelines.
Please do not derail this thread or force it's closing by mentioning any shamanic plants, fungi, or government created chemicals that may relate to this subject. --- This thread is in fact not about these whatsoever - rather that these states of enlightenment can be achieved naturally, which in my opinion is huge.

Thank you for reading, I hope this inspires some of you to seek out more information. If you feel so inclined, I would really appreciate any personal stories / any more information on these tanks (Perhaps even how to build one!)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
If the nervous system is the bed of experience and its suppression allows one to erode borders of the psyche sensory deprivation makes sense, but then so does alcohol. The question is where are you going? Do you even know where you are now? Or even what the time is?

edit on 23-9-2012 by usernamehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Two or three years ago, my husband and I received a gift certificate to a local "upscale" spa. I did the hot-rocks-massage; he did the "saltwater tank".....just as you describe it.

He was quite relaxed afterward (we were both completely sober when we arrived)....(and when we left).....where I, after a generous hot-rock massage, was told by the masseuse that she'd not had time to "finish". I spent the next two days fighting off nausea.

I'd like to try one of these "tanks".
s/f

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Ive been wanting to try an isolation tank for a long time now. I hear nothing but good things about them!

Unfortunately, I have searched both high and low, and there is NOTHING even remotely close to me, which I would define as within a 100 mile radius. It seems there are hotspots of iso tank places, like in CA, and Ive found some in NJ as well, and FL. But where I am? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

I did find a place that had closed its doors, which the only one anywhere near me. Apparently its not so profitable.

And I have no where near enough money to just buy even a low end one, unfortunately, otherwise I definitely would buy one and stick it in the basement.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
Two or three years ago, my husband and I received a gift certificate to a local "upscale" spa. I did the hot-rocks-massage; he did the "saltwater tank".....just as you describe it.

He was quite relaxed afterward (we were both completely sober when we arrived)....(and when we left).....where I, after a generous hot-rock massage, was told by the masseuse that she'd not had time to "finish". I spent the next two days fighting off nausea.

I'd like to try one of these "tanks".
s/f

An upscale spa had one of these things eh? Pretty interesting. I would really love to get my hands on one too. Heck, I'd like to build one so I could use it every day. Imagine the possibilities, honing ones skill at astral projection at the very least.

Did your husband mention anything else from his experience? Some times it can take quite a while for someone to totally "let go" of themselves --- perhaps this tank minimized the senses, but did not completely deprive him of them.

As far as the hot rocks giving you nausea - maybe due to her not being able to finish the therapy, it left energy in certain areas of your body that should have otherwise been passed out of your body.
Looking into it, it sounds relaxing (despite your account of nausea!)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Yes, I think my subsequent nausea had to do with the truncated session. Felt great while undergoing it.....nice aroma, low lights, etc.....very relaxing.

Husband said the saltwater float (or whatever they choose to call it) was very relaxing;

my brother had also enjoyed one...just immediately before our appointments...he said the same. I'd like to try it.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Here's a link to the place I went:
thespaatbriarcliff.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus
Ive been wanting to try an isolation tank for a long time now. I hear nothing but good things about them!

Unfortunately, I have searched both high and low, and there is NOTHING even remotely close to me, which I would define as within a 100 mile radius. It seems there are hotspots of iso tank places, like in CA, and Ive found some in NJ as well, and FL. But where I am? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

I did find a place that had closed its doors, which the only one anywhere near me. Apparently its not so profitable.

And I have no where near enough money to just buy even a low end one, unfortunately, otherwise I definitely would buy one and stick it in the basement.

(Hey Cat, I enjoyed your posts in that "coming deception" thread, by the way.)

One in California eh? I'll start looking then, hopefully there's one in the North as this state is quite the stretch of land.

I really do agree with you though, I want one In My Basement. It can't be rocket science to build one. I imagine a large granite sarcophagus would do

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

The Float Experience
60 minutes
Everyday expectations, stress, and the aging effect of gravity take a toll on every individual. “Floating” helps to promote the release of endorphins, which rejuvenates your body and mind. With 60 minutes of “floating,” your body and mind can experience the equivalent of four hours of normal rest. The Float Experience is an enclosed room within a room that ensures a calming, private phase where the body remains in a state of tranquility. The body simply “floats” in 12 inches of buoyant, mineral-rich, and temperature-maintained (94°F) water. Due to the incredible buoyancy of water, the body is naturally compelled to float. The Float Experience is designed to help detoxify the body, sedate the nervous system, relax muscles, reduce fatigue, promote healing, enhance creativity, and much more. The Float Experience is highly recommended for individuals in high-stress situations and for travelers.
$65 per session, $130 for a package of three

Here's the description.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Sounds great, though something tells me that they are lessening the effects of theirs. Perhaps for insurance reasons: don't want folks coming out of the spa claiming they had a spiritual revelation. Would look odd on that list of therapeutic reasons:

The Float Experience is designed to help detoxify the body, sedate the nervous system, relax muscles, reduce fatigue, astrally project through sacred geometry, promote healing, visit Mars, enhance creativity, and much more.

^ Fixed

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Twas my pleasure

The iso tanks in CA are numerous. Look at this link: www.floatation.com... to see at least a partial listing of floatation tank locations in and out of the country.

(My state isnt even listed
)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
The man who invented the the isolation tank has made a lot of accomplishments it seems.

::::::::: John C. Lilly ::::::

Lilly was a physician and psychoanalyst. He made contributions in the fields of biophysics, neurophysiology, electronics, computer science, and neuroanatomy. He invented and promoted the use of an isolation tank as a means of sensory deprivation.
He also attempted interspecies communication between humans and dolphins. His work helped the creation of the United States Marine Mammal Protection Act.

His eclectic career began as a conventional scientist doing research for universities and government. However, he gradually began researching unconventional topics. He published several books and had two Hollywood movies based partly on his work.

Restricted Environmental Stimulation Technique (REST)

And this is also pretty wild:

SET & the Order of the Dolphin + Founders of Drake Equation

SETI Lilly was interested in the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI) project. In 1961 a group of scientists including Lilly gathered at the Green Bank Observatory to discuss the possibility of using the techniques of radio astronomy to detect evidence of intelligent life outside our Solar System. They called themselves The Order of the Dolphin after Lilly's work with dolphins. They developed the Drake equation to estimate the number of extraterrestrial civilizations in our galaxy.[citation needed]

Added to my list of heroes

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

That link was very helpful, I see one in Dallas, used to live there but only about 3 hrs. away now. Adding this to my "to do" list...

I'm very interested in this topic, I think it started for me when I saw the movie Altered States.

Staying tuned...

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Yeah that link WAS helpful. I am going to make plans to the nearest location. But first I am going to make calls to the ones posted in San Francisco --- I want to make sure these are not "lessened" in strength. Some of these float tanks it appears do not completely deprive you of your senses --- so as to relax you, but not "open" you.

I think there is a real phenomena behind this. Even if the mod who moved my thread doesn't.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I think Skunk Works is the right forum

Keep us posted if you visit one....

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Interesting thread. I have not yet checked out all the videos, but I feel the need to mention something:

In recent history I recall reading something speculating that the King's chamber may have had a ritual purpose, the sarcophagus being used very much like a coffin to symbolize death and re-birth to the initiate.

If you consider this, it is only a hop, skip, and a jump to that thing being used as an "isolation tank."

I also remember reading something about how that granite box might have interesting resonant properties. Not sure if that would tie in, in any way... but an interesting factoid.

edit on 24-9-2012 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Okay, after watching both the videos I REALLY wish I could try a tank.

I worry I might get claustrophobic, though.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

Very interesting. I'll try to find more reasoning behind this connection between the granite sarcophagus and the isolation tank - to make it look less "highly speculative" / skunk smelled to some ATS members.

The idea that the granite resonates better is pretty interesting. I was thinking the opposite, that it's thickness would substantiate the purpose of complete isolation from hearing anything whatsoever. Perhaps granite was used specifically for these sarcophagus's for either purpose.

Will look into how granite might resonate.

edit on 24-9-2012 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
In terms of sympathetic resonance, I believe that any material will "resonate" given the application of the right frequency. I may be wrong on that one....

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
OK, I have a bath, now all I need is a cover and some salt water. Keeping it cheap. lol. Maybe I can charge my friends $5 a go.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join