It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wealthy Welfare...UK to Freeze Benefits as Inflation Bites?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
So what many said would never happen may already be in the works. Not just reducing benefits but actually freezing them? How is this possible?

Oh right, it's coming from the mind of a millionaire who wouldn't have to worry about the effects on anyone's lives.

We have a rise in suicides in the US...will this trigger the same in the UK?

whatreallyhappened.com...

Britain's poorest are likely to get another hit from the Treasury chief, who's trying to rein in spending. Millionaire George Osborne wants to freeze welfare payments for 2 years.

So how does help the Nation? It won't.

Crime rates will rise, more people homeless, children going hungry...yup, good for the economy.

Peace

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I don't really see how this could go ahead. Surely even the dopiest of politicians could see that cutting welfare completely would leave thousands desperate and homeless and guarantee increased crime and possible riots?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
It might just force people to find work at the low paying per hour jobs. It's either, work to live, or die by not.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I am not sure what the answers are, but all this means to me is businesses will sell less goods and more jobs will be lost over time as well as the problems you mentioned.

But it is not just those on benefits that are suffering in the same way, people are having to work for less to keep their job, take less hours and also never get a pay rise in line with inflation.

and in both cases it just means less spending, less jobs due to decrease in spending, and more and more poverty.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
This sort of thinking makes me sooooo angry. How much have we just forked out for the damn Olympics??? How much profit did UK businesses manage to make from the Olympics, considering it was big non-UK companies that were dictating who could sell what in the local vicinity. Would like to know how much money is going out to these decision makers and why they are not capping the humungus profits energy companies and the like are making.
They cripple us with outrageous road tax costs, yet the roads have so many pot-holes it then costs extra to fix the damage to our cars when the MOT is up. They spend how much on 'surveillance' cameras, which do way more than just surveille, rather than actual real police on the beat, whom they are slashing in favour of expensive overpriced private security like G4S (what a joke). Gordon Brown brilliantly managed to sell half of our gold reserves just before gold started to go up/rocket in price, but I bet he doesn't worry about paying his fuel bill or where his next meal is coming from.
This whole disaster started years ago when the government was giving grants to manufacturing businesses if they re-located or opened up the same business in China. Now we have no jobs because all we do as a country is pen push with very little manufacture compared to how it used to be. Companies only want people who can walk straight into the job and not have to give training of any sort and very little is out there for young people trying to get experience in anything.
Decide to better yourself and you end up with a huge debt and no real job prospects at the end of your further education course. But let's just stay in the EU, where we have limits on how much we can fish for/ produce/ do or say and of course there is the whole carbon tax issue and the money we have to pay to be in there.
But the banks just keep on charging and getting everyone into more difficulty. Why did the government not just use the bank bail out money to give to the people as a super cheap loan so they could pay their debts to the banks, who would suddenly now be fluid again, and people might just manage to get by with no bank loans / interest to keep paying out. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jetman44
It might just force people to find work at the low paying per hour jobs. It's either, work to live, or die by not.

Sure.

And guess who will be supplying those low paying jobs?

The millionaire who wants the welfare cut.

Peace

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
this would be the last thing to brake the camels back, it would make many people get up and take action. definitely be the nail in the conservatives coffin for sure, too. their gone this turn anyway, they just must want to go out in a bang!

But in all realness, I honestly can't see any party getting far with this proposal. Shame on the people who look at gov cuts as the only way out of a situation. They get the media to paint unemployed as lazy and benefit receivers greedy but I'd rather my countries money pay for people to have roofs over their heads and be able to sustain a life, rather than buy bombs and invade foreign lands to line a few elites pockets.

absolutey shocking.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I guess this isn`t such a bad idea as long as ALL other government spending is also frozen for the next 2 years,but we know that they will never agree to do that

If balancing the budget is so important that they feel the need to take away from the poorest people then it should also be important enough to freeze ALL spending for the next 2 years.
It`s immoral to try to balance the budget by taking from the poor while everyone else continue to be unaffected.

In other words the politicians need to put their money where their mouth is and freeze ALL spending including their own salary raises.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CthulhuMythos

How much profit did UK businesses manage to make from the Olympics, considering it was big non-UK companies that were dictating who could sell what in the local vicinity. Would like to know how much money is going out to these decision makers and why they are not capping the humungus profits energy companies and the like are making. They cripple us with outrageous road tax costs, yet the roads have so many pot-holes it then costs extra to fix the damage to our cars when the MOT is up.

Sure, they're glad to take money from the poor to fund entertainment for the rich. And now that they're done, it's time to cut them off completely.

People are going to stand and deliver if this happens and it won't be pretty.

Peace

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
I guess this isn`t such a bad idea as long as ALL other government spending is also frozen for the next 2 years,but we know that they will never agree to do that

If balancing the budget is so important that they feel the need to take away from the poorest people then it should also be important enough to freeze ALL spending for the next 2 years.
It`s immoral to try to balance the budget by taking from the poor while everyone else continue to be unaffected.

In other words the politicians need to put their money where their mouth is and freeze ALL spending including their own salary raises.

Good idea
We could also cut all politicians pay as in hard times we need all the money we can get right? politics should be an unpaid privilege, not a lucrative career.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

If this fear mongering or a real possibility? Have there been preparations such as the US Fema camps put in place in the UK? Are there other things happening to make you think it could be done?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Also the children would be placed in gov. homes. This is big business and if you believe the stories about the Queen taking homeless children for a day and they never come back, then this is horrible.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

and if you believe the stories about the Queen taking homeless children for a day and they never come back, then this is horrible.

Absolute crap.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
www.historylearningsite.co.uk...

Let's hope the situation doesn't dissolved into a culling of the bourgeoisie.
edit on 23-9-2012 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by Jetman44

Sure.

And guess who will be supplying those low paying jobs?

The millionaire who wants the welfare cut.

Peace

slightly off-topic,but i wanted to mention it because it was interesting, but i dont want to start a thread on it. Did anyone see the Jamie Oliver despatchs school dinners programme on channel 5?. Heres a link to Jamies site explaining it
www.jamieoliver.com...

Basically, dominos pizzas keep trying to get the ok to build branchs near to schools, which off course is disgusting considering the fast food problem we already have in this country. And the guy that is the largest single share holder in dominos, had given 50,000 thousand quid in a space of five years(05 to 11) to the constituency party of the Education secretary Michael Gove, And get this, Grewal, the domino guy, was also chairman of the aforementioned constituency party, talk about conflict of interest. But off course, they would have us believe that this guy is a saint for providing us with employment (low paid no doubt).
May i add, i think domino pizza are rubbish actually.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Okay, time for some reality here.

They are not planning to end all social welfare, the "cut" is that they will not be increasing welfare payments in-line with inflation, which is how it has been done.

There has been discussion previously that welfare rates should calculated in correspondence with average wages rather than inflation, because inflation is rising faster than wages.

Cameron is proposing that the increase in benefits be halted for two years, not that they end the social welfare system for two years!

I despise this toff boy government with a passion, but lets be honest here and face facts, not distort or ignore the truth for sensationalism.

I agree that this is actually not necessary. The money could come from proper taxation of the wealthy scum in this country who refuse to pay their fair share. Corporations make deals with HMRC to pay less than they owe, because a long legal process would cost the government more than it is worth. The government needs to create a law removing the right of a corporation from "negotiating" its tax obligations - they earn ten billion, they pay a set level in tax, no debating and no legal recourse.

There are also issues when it comes to people abusing the system. There are people out there who claim benefits and somehow manage to have Sky TV, smoke, drink, run two cars... these people generally have kids, and they steal the money that is supposed to be set aside for their children and spend it on themselves.

There is no quick fix to this problem. Previous governments have failed to deal with it, but this is not the way to deal with it.

The idea that we are "all in this together" is a complete myth. The rich ARE getting richer. The upper class isn't making any sacrifices at all. The government is targeting the middle and lower classes across the country.

As others have mentioned, I fear that this is simply going to anger the people of this country even more. The government really has little idea of how seething with rage the people are. We are one step away from scenes reminiscent of the Poll Tax riots.

We are not alone in this. What happened to Greece is now starting here, and in France, and in Spain, and throughout the world. We're not being told about the rolling protests around the world. It's coming to the UK, and it will hit the USA too.

I fear that last years August riots were a preview of what's to come. All it will take is a spark, and so begins the spiral to another revolution.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
1. This is RT, the Russian state’s mouthpiece. Not famous for its blistering impartiality!
2. The UK Government has merely proposed stopping link between welfare and inflation. Inflation has over the last few years outstripped the rise in earnings. It’s a proposal. It may never happen.
3. Don’t panic.

Regards

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Hope you are right but I have been spooked by some of the theories about such a thing happening many years ago. There are threads on here that would scare you to the core of your being, this was one of those subjects that really disturbed me.

Here is one of them I think:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
We are all in it togeather lads.
The only way things are going to change, is if we all do a V for vendetta on those Camoron types. Who have sold us down the river. He was gobbing it a while ago, about Tax avoidance. The only people doing that or who started it all, was his family and friends/cronies. Its about time we had a clear out. Sorted this mess out once and for all.
Guy Fawkes had the right idea. Come bonfire night it wouldnt surprise me if that happened.
kentfreedommovement.ning.com... akes.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by jude11

If this fear mongering or a real possibility? Have there been preparations such as the US Fema camps put in place in the UK? Are there other things happening to make you think it could be done?

I'm not actually sure about camps in the UK but if I remember correctly, another member posted a thread on it awhile ago. Try a search.

I just have a gut feeling that this is just the tip of something bigger and as I have mentioned many times before...from our beginnings on this planet, nothing has ever gotten better. It's all cycles with the current ones being worse than the last. Only this time the game is Global.

Peace

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join