It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for Dog Advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

My husband and I are considering getting a puppy for my six year old son. We're trying to research the different breeds to know what kind of dogs to consider and what kind to bypass. Although we will most likely go to the animal shelter for our newest family member, sometimes the dogs there are pretty close to purebred.

So I thought I'd pick the collective brain of ATS and ask about your suggestions for a pup.

Some things to consider....

We live in the country, but he would be an indoor dog. We can easily take him for walks, but I'm not tying a dog up in my back yard. I always feel so sad when I see dogs chained to a stake in the yard.

We have two indoor cats.

My son is small, about e size of a four year old. He's extremely playful and loves to wrestle. Our cats either run away from him or join in on the fun, but a dog would need a lot of patience.

Small hyperactive dogs scare me. Baaaaaddddd experience with a Pekingese (don't ask).

If we decide to get a pup, I want to make sure the pup is as happy as possible. We are gone all day long, home by about four thirty or so. So that would need to be considered as well.

If you have any suggestions or advice, it's greatly appreciated!

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Boxers are great family dogs. My boxer loves my kids one is 14 the other is less than a year. No major problems except if you leave them home they tend to get bored and play with anything they can. They are energetic and need room to play run or walks etc, but they can easily keep up with your child. They are complete goofballs and love having fun.

Here is my boxer impersonating a bat.

Remember pound dogs, sometime never act like what they will when they are home. See if you local pound will let you bring the dog you choose for a walk or outside to play, make sure your child interacts with the dog and you get a confident feeling.

I have 3 rescue dogs
My 80lb boxer
100 lb American bulldog
and my 165 LB lab.....(He is almost 6'5 standing on his back legs)

Whoever you pick just make sure he/she fits with your family and your lifestyle.

Good Luck

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
This is a really cool dog breed selector quiz put out by Animal Planet.

It asks several questions that may help you determine what type(s) would be best for your family.

animal.discovery.com...
edit on 23-9-2012 by riverwild because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
One more thing to consider since you have cats as well.

Almost any breed of dog can be good with cats, especially if they are raised with them. Terriers (jack russells, airedales, fox terriers) and sighthounds (greyhounds, whippets, salukis) are more likely to chase and even kill cats, since these breeds were bred for hunting. Consider the cat's personality as well. A "dog savvy" cat is less likely to trigger a dog's prey instinct, but an aggressive cat can hurt a small dog

Read more: The Best Dog Breeds With Cats | eHow.com www.ehow.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Labrador/ retrievers are great family dogs!

although if your going to be out all day you might want to consider a dog walker, its not fair for a dog to be left inside all that time, especially a puppy.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Best dog I have ever had, Pit/boxer mix, a rescue.

She is the most gentle loving dog, she plays with little puppies and small children fine, most even tempered as well.

Any dog you get will be fine, its all about the owner, any breed temperament concerns comes down to how the owner raises the dog.

Teach them limits when they are a puppy and you will be fine, personally I stay away from purebreds and go rescue dogs.

A dog will give you what you put in to them, and every child should have a dog.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicalearth
Labrador/ retrievers are great family dogs!

although if your going to be out all day you might want to consider a dog walker, its not fair for a dog to be left inside all that time, especially a puppy.

Yes, a dog walker would be fine. We have a large backyard with lots of shade trees, it would be easy to do.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
You said you are gone all day. Why do this to a dog??? As a child would you like being left at home all day with no companionship??? That is just cruel!
Get 2 similar size dogs about the same size and age, and they can enjoy each other while you and family are gone.
We have 2 Shihtzu's and they are great with everyone they have come in contact with. Very playful both with kids and themselves. Great travelers also (motorhome all over the countyr).
Even though we have 2 dogs they still prefer human company and are very excited when we get home.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by rlrsar
You said you are gone all day. Why do this to a dog??? As a child would you like being left at home all day with no companionship??? That is just cruel!
Get 2 similar size dogs about the same size and age, and they can enjoy each other while you and family are gone.
We have 2 Shihtzu's and they are great with everyone they have come in contact with. Very playful both with kids and themselves. Great travelers also (motorhome all over the countyr).
Even though we have 2 dogs they still prefer human company and are very excited when we get home.

That's why we are researching before adopting, to make sure we can adjust our life style to welcome a pup into our home. If we can't do it, then we won't get a pup. The last thing we want to do is adopt a dog and make its life miserable.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
A cat can content itself with being in the house all day but I doubt a dog would. One reason my husband and I chose to never have a dog. We didn't feel it would be fair to a dog to be left alone in the house all day so we got cats instead.

It's good that you are asking questions and not rushing into things. More people should do the sme.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Yes, our two cats do fine by themselves...esp since they sleep all day...

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by rlrsar

That's why we are researching before adopting, to make sure we can adjust our life style to welcome a pup into our home. If we can't do it, then we won't get a pup. The last thing we want to do is adopt a dog and make its life miserable.

IMHO, adopting a dog from a shelter who is simply in a cage, would be much happier in a home with a nice bed to lay on waiting for you to get home.

Sure, they do like to have a buddy to hang with when you are not home but, that can come in time should you decide to add to your family at a later date. Either way, the pup will have a happier life in a loving home rather than a shelter hoping not to get the pink juice (as they call it).

Best of luck finding the new addition to your family.

edit on 23-9-2012 by riverwild because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I have a pit/terrier mix girl named Terra..

she will behave all day in the house and loves everyone..

they are a really cool breed...

probably the smartest dog we ever owned ..

we buried her in leaves last fall and told her to stay there...lol

she did too, for about 20 minutes...it was so cool..

easy to train and they love kids and cats too...

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

Do you think two cats would be enough company for a puppy?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
reply to post by riverwild

Do you think two cats would be enough company for a puppy?

Yes, especially if the dog you choose is going to be a medium or large size.

The cats will tell a puppy who's boss.

Much like your cat's have probably told you!

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

About a decade, or so, ago my ex came into the house, after work, in a state. She'd found a puppy on the side of the road that had been hit by a car and mauled by another dog(s). It was near death and she, being a humane person, did all she could think to do. She carried it to a vets office and told them that she had found the dog on the side of the road, begged the vet to help, and offered to pay for the care in installments, as she was unsure how much it would cost and did not have a lot in the bank.

About a week later the vet called and said that an anonymous philanthropist had paid for the vet bill and that the dog was going to be OK - but did not have a home. The vet asked if we would take it. The ex and I debated about this, as I had two pet ferrets and was worried that bringing a puppy into the house might result with something killing something - and I didn't like that idea at all. My ex talked me into it and it was one of the best things that ever happened to me.

The puppy was a beagle.

We named her Abby and she was the friendliest, funnest, most loyal, loving, and intelligent dog I have ever had. She was great with kids, with people, with the ferrets... and she had so much personality that it was simply ridiculous.

Unfortunately when we broke up, the ex demanded the dog and I conceded. A regret to this day. But, born of that loss, is the birth of this... My opportunity to tell you all about Abby and to say that I would get another beagle without a second thought. They make wonderful additions to the family!

Whatever breed you choose, based upon what I've seen of you on ATS, I'd say it will be a very lucky dog indeed to get a caring and sensitive human to have for its very own.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
If you get the puppy, you must share pics!

I suppose with having the cats in the house with the puppy, he wouldn't feel alone so it should be ok. Wishing you all the best.

new topics

top topics

join