It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pelosi: Raise Taxes on All Workers Next Year

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Is this the same payroll tax cut that the GOP fought tooth and nail against??? It sure is - the GOP opposed this tax cut in the first place, now wingers want to wag their fingers at the idea of letting it expire?

The reality is:

WASHINGTON -- House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) says Congress should let the payroll tax cut expire at the end of the year and instead work toward comprehensive tax reform.

"I would hope that we would not extend it," Pelosi said of the tax cut, during a Friday sit-down with reporters.

The whole point of extending the payroll tax cut was to only do it for a year or two to ensure economic stability, she said. Now that things have stabilized, she continued, it's time to get moving on bigger changes.

"Let's deal with the budget issues. Let's put the tax code on the table, simplify, make more fair and close a lot of the special interest loopholes that are in there," Pelosi said. "I would not be among those advocating" to extend the cut, she said.

The Democratic leader added that she "could be convinced" to support another payroll tax cut extension of if it were part of a broader economic package, but otherwise she said the rates should revert to where they were before.

source

Recall, it was only less than a year ago the GOP turned out in force to oppose the payroll tax cut in the first place:

Wait, Why Are Republicans Against The Payroll Tax Cut Again? (Dec. 2011)
Payroll Tax Cut Rejected by House Republicans - NYTimes.com (Dec. 2011)
Jim DeMint Opposes Tax Cut (Sep. 2011)
(and so on...)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

A single item on sale does not compare to the entire U.S. economy.

A temporary cut is a temporary cut no matter the scale.

Plus, a single item on sale is "on sale" because they can make more money by selling in higher volume.

So you do not know anything. Most items on sale are sold at a loss. There is a reason for this.

Do you understand what a massive tax increase will do to the whole economy ?

Yes, if one were happening I would be worried.

And just how are the tax "cuts" a "sale item" ??

:shk:

A temporary cut is a temporary cut.

Can you tell me. Did you support the GOP when the opposed the cut to begin with?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Let me just use simple logic for you.
If item A costs X amount of dollars
and for a temporary period A only costs X-Y where Y is a positive integer,
then A can be either Taxes or an item in a store.
When it is an item in a store, we call it a sale or discount.
When it is taxes, we call it a cut.
When that temporary period ends, do you accuse the price changer of raising the price or ending the sale/cut?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I guarantee you the same posters trying to demonize this "tax increase" supported the GOP when the fought the tax cut in the first place. I know NEO did.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Eisenhower had a 90% tax rate, JFK had a 70% tax rate sigh

When I see this i get irked so lets break down what some people are missing:

1. medicare did not exist started in 65
2. the population was considerably less
3. the value of the dollar was more
4, the industrial base of this country was considerably more,

The largest federal spending consumption is entitelment spending that has become mandatory,

Neo, you forgot the 'fact' that no one actually paid that high of a tax rate. There were so many loopholes back then, it's safe to say taxes were lower then than they are now.
edit on 23-9-2012 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

Yep and that money was flowing to Swiss accounts by the millions and other offshore havens.

They seem forget that.
edit on 23-9-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Obama care is going to be the biggest tax increase ever put upon
the American People. And we can thank Pelosi, Obama and Reid for that.

They want more? Its probably to cover the cost of Obama care!

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

Originally posted by charles1952

Dear xuenchen,

You know, you might be the closest thing ATS has to an Andrew Breitbart. I don't know how you manage it, but you are indispensible.
Thats because all his threads originate from Breitbarts Site.

Check a link once in awhile.

The Right-wing cheerleaders here are constantly DRUNK from the Breitbart cool-aid!

That and their big-money funding "gods" in the back ground like the [color=gold]KOCH BROTHERS...

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Anyone who votes for Obama after what she said, well, you get what you deserve.

I would have said that even before she made that comment.
Lets hope voters remember this when her term is up.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
It is a balancing act on several fronts and not just the income taxes. What really needs to happen if taxes are adjusted (raised/reduced) is to obtain a final number of what the average family pays in taxes and their gross incomes adjusted to either save/spend/invest the money. People fail to see the hidden taxes that we all pay regardless of who wins.

WHAT_IS_TAXED
US_TAXES_WIKI
OBAMA_TAX_L IST
US_COMPANIES_PAY_HIGHEST_TAX

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Anyone who votes for Obama after what she said, well, you get what you deserve.

What about the people who didn't vote for Obama? Why do they deserve it?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by wascurious

Can you tell me. Did you support the GOP when the opposed the cut to begin with?

It seems the "opposition" was focusing on the "two month" extension, not the Concept

This article clearly states that:

NYTimes Slanted headline article...... December 18, 2011

In an interview on “Meet The Press” on NBC, Speaker John A. Boehner said his members broadly opposed the two-month extension that passed the Senate 89 to 10, believing that it would be “just kicking the can down the road.”

“It’s time to just stop, do our work, resolve the differences and extend this for one year,” Mr. Boehner said. “How can you have tax policy for two months?” ...............

Representative Tom Reed, a freshman Republican from upstate New York, said Monday: “I am adamantly opposed to a short-term two-month extension bill. Enough is enough. If that’s what the Senate believes is leadership, then I believe the Senate is a complete failure.

“Two months of policy for doctors, American workers and people suffering on unemployment is just plain ridiculous,” Mr. Reed said. “We should do at least a year’s extension, if not further.”

Contrary to suggestions by some Democrats, Mr. Reed said, “There was no representation from the speaker that he would be able to get support for a two-month deal” in the House.

“We want to do long-term policy, not short-term politics,” Mr. Reed said. “The American people deserve more than short-term Band-Aids.”

Extension of Tax Cut Stalls in House as G.O.P. Objects

The Republicans were opposed to a Short-Term "solution" that wasn't really a "solution" at all.

The Democrats knew they could use this issue as a campaign crutch.

Perhaps if Democrats had agreed to a more permanent Genuine solution, we wouldn't be in this mess again right now !!

edit on Sep-24-2012 by xuenchen because:
:shk:

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Cutting to the chase. The real agenda is to bring America to it's knee's so that we are on a level playing ground with the rest of the world. The power players on the left around the world say that America must fall to bring stability to the world. Whatever they have to do to complete this mission is what they will do. Their base is either rich or poor. There is no in between. (save for the uninformed or naive) We are taking a dive to save the world apparently. Those that believe America can sustain the huge debt and entitlements with high unemployment are naive. We can not sustain the path we are on. If you are on government assistance you best prepare to beg on a street corner somewhere if the trend continues because the money tree is dieing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join