It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is It illegal to wear body armor?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
If so (and could be locally) then it is probably because one would normally only wear same if going to rob a bank or attack a police station. One day it will probably be illegal to wear camo also.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
It absolutely astounds me that even convicts cant legally wear body armor. During committing a crime, I can see, yes, but they should have a right to protect themselves just like everyone else - especially since they cant own a gun.

Consider, your young, you mess up and commit a crime, go to jail. learn your lesson and want to put it all behind you. Your debt is paid. You should be able to protect yourself.

We don't know if the guy in the article had any convictions or not. I'd like to get a follow up on this story.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
With the fear of the lone nut gunman being played up in the news constantly you would think any law abiding citizen, and any responsible PARENT would welcome fashionable and colourful bullet proof clothes like sports jackets and even motorcyle riding fabrics could be kevlarised for safety as well as bicicle riding gear, and skateboarding too.....
kevlar cannot be reserved for the military and police....its constitutionally protected....but im not ssure which amendment...human right to safety of his person or some other (wheres that damn lawyer dude when ya need him?:duh

I would think that this could be a very good constitutional case and a successful class action suite if the people want to organise themselves to it.
Imagine of the people in the movie had some on.........this is worth supporting.....
The right to wear body armour is entrenched in the constitution somewhere.....isnt it

After all, innocent till proven guilty too ...........hey?
edit on 23-9-2012 by stirling because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-9-2012 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I believe in most states it is legal for you to wear body armor as long as you are not a felon and are not committing a crime. Of course Kalifornia, Massachusetts and New York I think have different laws than the rest of America.

Another round of ammo that will go threw class III is the Tokarev 7.62x25. That is one hot little round. Depending on the armor, all easily penetrates II along with some loads and lower grade vests it will go threw III. I forgotten round that is still dirt cheap. I love lighting up the range with my PPSH-41.

edit on 23-9-2012 by JValhalla because: ?que

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart
I just don't see the reason a law abiding citizen should be banned from wearing body armor,
c'mon man!

Well, I just don't see the reason a law abiding citizen would NEED to wear body armor out in public. I'm a law abiding citizen and while, sure, every now and then, bad things happen to good people.... I have never felt the need to wear body armor.

Should a guy get arrested for it? Depends on the situation, really. But, again, I just don't see the reason a law abiding citizen would realistically even want to wear body armor to a fair....
edit on 23-9-2012 by DirtyLiberalHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
But the Gov has got a LOT of armor bullets.
so the body armor is no good.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
State laws will differ, however, where I am currently it is illegal to WEAR in public, however, not to own.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyLiberalHippie

Originally posted by Thunderheart
I just don't see the reason a law abiding citizen should be banned from wearing body armor,
c'mon man!

Well, I just don't see the reason a law abiding citizen would NEED to wear body armor out in public. I'm a law abiding citizen and while, sure, every now and then, bad things happen to good people.... I have never felt the need to wear body armor.

Should a guy get arrested for it? Depends on the situation, really. But, again, I just don't see the reason a law abiding citizen would realistically even want to wear body armor to a fair....
edit on 23-9-2012 by DirtyLiberalHippie because: (no reason given)
Well I bet the Columbine victims didn't see a need for body armor at their school or the batman premiere victims didn't see a need for it at the movies or all of the University shootings in the last few years...
That's the thing about body armor, you don't see the need for it until you're laying on the ground bleeding out.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DermotMcDerp

Honestly, the army should be a lot farther from who theyre shooting then thr police most of the time. but thatd not always the case.

There isnt even any amount of steel plate that can reliably stop a rifle round.

Anyway. The energy decreases greatly with distance.

And i hear lots and lots of reports of casualties in the military, which leads me to believe im right.

Anyway... A 5.56 round (military version of 223, hotter load stronger case basically), can achieve uhmmm.... I believe its about mach 2. 45acp is a little under mach 1. Smaller pistol rounds are a little over mach 1. I make ammunition by the way.

Oh and the military uses steel bullets, im not sure that matters.

and body armor works by spreading out the force of the bullet. Imagine being punched in the chest at mach 2. Im not sure youd still be standing.... How about 3 times at once, a 3 round burst?

Another interesting thing is that rifle ammo is pointy, and also the geneva convrntion bans hollow points. Pistol bullets are rounded, and most cops and bad guys and ccwers have hollowpoints.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

You said that armor is for pistols which is just not true.

There isnt even any amount of steel plate that can reliably stop a rifle round.

Whut?

I don't know if you watched the video I posted to prove my point on page 1, but kevlar plates stop multiple rifle rounds, obviously.

And i hear lots and lots of reports of casualties in the military, which leads me to believe im right.

You are obviously speculating. A lot of the casualties are from IED's, and the plates don't cover your whole body, so if the soft armor is hit the bullet can penetrate and off course you can take one in the neck or head or legs and bleed out.

This guy takes a hit by what is probably at least a 7.62 round.

edit on 23-9-2012 by DermotMcDerp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
As far as .22 caliber penetrating body armor, it really depends on the grade of the armor. There are vests that will stop a .44 Magnum, but can be penetrated by a .22 WMR FMJ. Flechettes will penetrate Kevlar vests with no trouble. Even with a ballistic vest, if you are struck in the torso, you make a very easy target for a 'coup de gras', as you more than likely will be lying on ground with the wind knocked out of you at best, more likely wondering why you have a large hematoma or broken ribs.
The best way to defeat a ballistic vest is to aim for the head.
Or run over the offensive person with a car.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Don't forget the double tap, lol.

I will still say that a kevlar plate will stop a lot of calibers even close range, so if you are going to need to wear body armor, you 'd best wear soft armor with insert plates.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I will admit I have not read the whole thread, But, I don't see what the problem of him wearing body armor is? Now if he had a few hand guns and a fully automatic machine gun, AND the body armor, I could see the point of arresting him. Damn, the gov't has a say in what we can wear now?? Sheezzzz.... Just as long as they don't bring back the 60's look.....

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
So it's illegal to carry a weapon in many places now and you get stopped for carrying a gun in some states, and they are making it illegal to wear body armor? Since when did superman came to be to protect us?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I did a search on Herbert Nappier Found him on MySpace:
www.myspace.com...

Also found:

News, Columns, Editorials and Sports from The Ouachita Citizen ... Wossman's leading rusher was Herbert Nappier with 106 yards on 12 carries. Javarius Thomas scored Wossman's ... [ The Ouachita Citizen: Story Archives: St. Fred to challenge ... - www.ouachitacitizen.com ]

The St. Frederick Warriors will face their strongest test yet Friday night when they host Wossman. ... Wossman's leading rusher was Herbert Nappier with 106 yards on 12 carries. ... [ The Ouachita Citizen: St. Fred to challenge Wossman Friday - www.ouachitacitizen.com ]

TB Herbert Nappier (5-8, 162, So.) has been a big force in Wossman's success thus far.? Napper had a three-touchdown, 106-yard effort in a 33 ... [ PelicanPreps.com - Landrum has Wossman moving on up - pelicanpreps.rivals.com ]
Sponsored Tip - Reputation.com

He is a 2008 Graduate of WOSSMAN HIGH SCHOOL ,Monroe, LA.
plus he went to Grambling State University, Grambling, LA from 2008 to 2012
(don't Know if he played football for GSU or if he graduated)

Haven't found any prior arrest records. Still looking
edit on 25-9-2012 by azureskys because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

In most, if not all States, it is illegal to OWN body armour, much less wear it in public.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
In Chicago I believe that:

All types of body armor are illegal including Viet-nam era flak jackets.

Laser sights are banned.

Air soft guns, BB and pellet guns, and even inert replica guns are illegal.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

In most, if not all States, it is illegal to OWN body armour, much less wear it in public.

Que?

In most states it's perfectly legal to own and wear. In some states (and federally) you cannot own or wear it if you couldnt pass a NICS check. In more states it is illegal to wear it while committing a crime (extra-illegal kind of nonsense). CT is an oddball exception in that any purchasing of armor must be done face to face. What that is supposed to accomplish is beyond me but its a law in that state.

I can slap on as much armor as I can carry and stroll down the street and not break any laws whatsoever save maybe the all-purpose "disturbing the peace" tripe from people not liking what they are seeing.

Arkansas body armor law
Louisina body armor law

So unless this guy was a felon or there was explicit signage prohibiting armor he needs to lawyer up and go on a suing spree.
edit on 25-9-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-9-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I think this "fact" is wrong. Its legal to own armour in 49 states. Mass is the only one that made it illegal. I know because i was in the market to buy armour and did. Now for local countys and such, it depends on your countys laws.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I know for a fact its wrong, here in Cali the only thing concerning body armor is that you cannot own Level III type body armor, which is for LE and Military...I bought 2 German mil surplus flak jackets from CTD online and they were only 50 bucks each...and they both one layer of kevlar. I thought I might take one out and double up the other. Pretty cool for a 100 bucks.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join