National Geographic Photo Contest 2012 - Beautiful nature colorful photos

page: 1

join
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Once again, National Geographic is holding its annual photo contest, with the deadline for submissions coming up on November 30. Beginning on September 1, the society started gathering and presenting galleries of submissions, encouraging readers to vote for them as well.

Gathered below is a selection I've done of the 1301 images from Nature categorie.

Marpissa muscosa, biggest jumping spider of western Europe, feline of the macro world, with your cat way to move, hunt and jump, your beautiful clean fur, your big blue eyes and the never ending curiosity you show about the world around you.
Photo and caption by Olivier Roland

Ladybugs Amphipods-cyproideidae. The size of these ladybugs are 1/4 of a rice grain. To get two in focus was a challenge because they keep moving and they are super tiny.
Photo and caption by Fransisca Harlijanto

The camouflage that Weedy seadragons use to hide in the temperate marine vegetation they derive their name from, is so successful that once they reach adulthood they have no natural predators. Unfortunately they are still at risk due to habitat destruction. The males of the species carry the bright pink, fertilized eggs underneath their tale for about two months before the fully formed young hatch and are left to fend for themselves.
Photo and caption by Richard Wylie

A trip to Mustang Island State Park, TX brought an amazing sight of a gelatinous mass spread across the sands of the beach. Washed ashore were hundreds of fragile blue bubbles of Portuguese Man-of War, named after the Portuguese Man-of-War battleship. Their translucent blue, pink and violet colors sparked in the early morning sunshine drawing me closer to them for observation. Their crest on top looked like sails. Their bodies looked like squishy clear jell-o spreading across the beach sands.
Photo and caption by Diana Webb

Close Encounter of the Insect Kind: Check out the awesome face on this praying mantis. I can't get over the mouth, it's like something from a science fiction movie. Of all photographic styles macro is definitely my favorite. I am constantly amazed, in every photo that I take, by the intricate level of detail that exists on even the smallest of creatures. It's a stark reminder that a very complex and infinitely beautiful world exists just beyond our human-sized level of perception.
Photo and caption by Andrew Young

This is a Blue Damselfly hunting for prey on a Tiger Lily leaf in the midday sun
Photo and caption by Charles Dillane

I was mesmerized by this orchid which on close up was looking like a one of those exquisite masks from the Venice Carnival.
Photo and caption by claude de joybert

See all the other wonderful photos on the National Geographic Photo Contest 2012 site
edit on 23-9-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

S n F

I view these contests every year. I love to see what people can capture with a camera.

Thanks for sharing!

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Fantastic - Our world is truly filled with the beautiful & amazing.

Check out these ones as well..........

NG - "total travels" favourites

S&F

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
wonderful pictures..
Wish I could take photos of such quality too..

Rather coincidentaly, I discovered a picture the other day and immediately saved it. Now I know why I did.. this thread was on its way

someone posted it on that FB thing that nobody really likes to go on..

Check this.. just makes you wonder what was going through the foxes mind ...
edit on 23-9-2012 by Extralien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Thanks for the thread OP.

reply to post by Extralien

Great pic. Reminded me of this one.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Thank you everyone!

What I particularly like as well are the photos with strong colors contrasts, such as this one, blue sky under yellow flowers:

Photo and caption by Thomas Jensen

Sea slugs have incredible colors as well:

Photo and caption by Mike Ricciardi

Source

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Amazing pictures, thank you everyone.

There is still hope.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
These just make me think that these competitions should have a rule that all shots are taken on film and the film is then admitted. Of course you can fiddle with filters etc. but this stuff just makes me irk.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I love these contests, awesome thread!

Love all of the pictures but:
The praying mantis is so cute lol

From OP link:

Just look at that smile

Photo and caption by Chad Meyer

A close pass to my cage from one of the locals, off the coast of Isla Guadalupe.

Photo and caption by Richard Dennis

Fiji Reef, Sep 2011

edit on 23-9-2012 by Miri08 because: add on

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Nice photos!

I tried to upload a couple of mine, but on preview it said that I deleted [all of them!] from my photobucket account!! Don't get it because they are IN my account. Photobucket ruins quality of my work anyway [a lot of noise I wouldn't ordinarily see], but I've lost a couple PC's over the yrs and at least I have free back-up with pictures there.

Anyway-these are some good works, and I agree that film should be recognized when in competition-because even though the experts are very good at seeing photoshop.. there are experts in the photoshop biz as well. I enjoy all photos, though it can take a lot away from some who rely totally on their work alone when others use cheat products.

I'm just bummed because mine won't show up

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

This was my favourite shot of the year...
Hopefully it works. Well, at least.. here is a link

didn't work.. will try again.
edit on 23-9-2012 by smilesmcgee because: (no reason given)
edit on 23-9-2012 by smilesmcgee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I used to pay the bills with my cameras. Macro was always the most work and the most rewarding for me as a photographer. Seeing this work reminds me that the cameras are collecting too much dust

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
So I submitted a photo to the NG contest a while ago - forgot about it actually - but your thread reminded me!

Here ya go - Since National Geo didn't like it? Maybe you all will!
And yeah - the full version is better.

And no, I don't mind they didn't choose it - it's still mine and I love to share - that's all that's important!

Enjoy and have a wonderful week all!

peace

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Is that the format you submitted yours? The rules say the images must be at least 1600px on longest side.

Also this: Watermarks are not acceptable. If Sponsor does not receive a non-watermarked version of the entry within ten (10) days following its request, the entry will be disqualified.
edit on 24/9/2012 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Nope, I made a version smaller for ATS.

As for watermark - I used a signature watermark (just where my signature was on the picture). I guess that didn't help now did it.

Thanks for asking I'll look into it. I have some others of the volcano here I'd like to submit.

peace

edit on 25-9-2012 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
This brings up a very good point. The absolute number 1 rule of any photography competition is: Always read the rules, then re-read them and make sure you have understood all points. Some "competitions" for example are nothing but a dirty scams designed to gather a large amount of free pictures for the company. Pay extra attention to the copyright and who has it for the submitted images etc.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Love the photo! Thanks for posting it!

Thank you to the OP and to everyone who posted pics - I enjoyed them all. I invite everyone to enjoy some additional spectacular images shared by the ATS community in this earlier thread as well. Can't get enough

Post a Beautiful Nature Pic Thread
edit on 9/28/2012 by Open2Truth because: (no reason given)

top topics

join