It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young Americans: Out of College, Out of Work, & Voting seriously?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
With all the madness thats been going on lately I think it's a nice to get a good laugh in every once in awhile. I believe I placed this in the right forum since this is about whether young americans will swing towards the Romney Ryan ticket due to the facts and statistics of the national unemployment rate. (However if its in the wrong forum Mods feel free to move it, and I apologize.)

So I stumbled upon this Fox and Friends news clip and I was Shocked. After watching this video, I thought to myself is this how serious most young americans are about voting or is MSM trying to make us seem stupid? I think that most of the youth in america act the same way regarding politics. That is why it was so easy to rally the youth for Obama last election win MTV and all the other MSM advertising and making it seem like a cool thing to do imo, and the youth make there political decisions based off the wrong reasons.

Well With out giving to much a way watch this short 2 min video and let me know what you think? Is this how serious most young americans are about voting? Also how many of you are college grads who are forced to live with your parents and or currently unemployed? Or just a young american and unemployed? If this guy in this video is serious, and this can be used for an example of americas youth, then america is in store for some serious trouble in the future.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I think the interviewer had a point. The fellow didn't seem to be taking the interview seriously. I had no idea what message he was trying to send or for whom he was voting, or why. I do know that the younger people are more inclined to vote Democrat. It may be because of idealism, inexperience, the influence of their teachers, the lack of influence of their parents, I just don't know.

I suspect that some young Americans are serious about voting itself, but not about understanding or thinking through the issues. Additionally, they seem to have to be motivated to vote by some outside force, Obama's charisma, the Viet Nam war, something like that.

Oh, America is in store for some serious trouble right now. Let's try to get through the next five years, then we can worry about the youth. Right now, they're about fourth on the list of problems to deal with.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Ok, so this guy was having a bit of a laugh (why should he take the interview seriously when its on Fox News?), but I have to ask you something.

Why do you vote?

Did you not notice how candidates are bought and payed for by corporations to do their bidding? Are you not aware of the fact that candidates will tell you anything and then have no obligation to do what they said they will do?

If you didnt learn anything from how Obama got elected, what will it take?

I just dont get why are you supporting this system by voting in it? Is it because you feel you must vote so the guy you dont like doesnt get elected?

Please explain, because if I would be in your shoes, I would absolutely not vote, and thereby send the message that the system needs to change and represent the ordinary people again.

edit on 23-9-2012 by Bodhi911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
I think the interviewer had a point. The fellow didn't seem to be taking the interview seriously. I had no idea what message he was trying to send or for whom he was voting, or why. I do know that the younger people are more inclined to vote Democrat. It may be because of idealism, inexperience, the influence of their teachers, the lack of influence of their parents, I just don't know.

I suspect that some young Americans are serious about voting itself, but not about understanding or thinking through the issues. Additionally, they seem to have to be motivated to vote by some outside force, Obama's charisma, the Viet Nam war, something like that.

Oh, America is in store for some serious trouble right now. Let's try to get through the next five years, then we can worry about the youth. Right now, they're about fourth on the list of problems to deal with.

Yeah I see what you are saying, and that makes perfect sense. You almost took the words right out of my mouth . However I'm just a little confused, when you say the youth is about fourth on the list what do you mean? Isn't the youth the most important since they take over and are the future of this country.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bodhi911

Ok, so this guy was having a bit of a laugh (why should he take the interview seriously when its on Fox News?), but I have to ask you something.

Why do you vote?

Did you not notice how candidates are bought and payed for by corporations to do their bidding? Are you not aware of the fact that candidates will tell you anything and then have no obligation to do what they said they will do?

If you didnt learn anything from how Obama got elected, what will it take?

I just dont get why are you supporting this system by voting in it? Is it because you feel you must vote so the guy you dont like doesnt get elected?

Please explain, because if I would be in your shoes, I would absolutely not vote, and thereby help to show the world that I have no belief in that system.

Well that may be true, but when your on national television speaking with a news anchor you should at least show some respect and take it serious.

To answer your Question I don't vote. The reason behind that I figured that it was a corrupt system that is rigged and is one big elaborate ruse. Also playing the video game Metal Gear Solid Sons Of Liberty was one of the final factors that really opened my eyes at the possibilities of corruption, and I later did more research and found it to be true.

However I never mentioned I was voting or whom for so I'm not quite sure why you attacked me with that, but I hope I cleared things up and answered your questions. So would you be so kind to answer the ones I presented?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Talk about the face of America and it's problems, right there. Fat, soft and happily ignorant to the state of the world around. I'd feel better if he was simply a high schooler....but there are courses every College graduate must get through and pass. Civics and Political Science....among others. Apparently it really does pass right through some people in the time it takes to read final grades for that semester.

Fox needs to get out to those places they'd rather pretend don't exist in their world. The Homeless Shelters. The places people in Occupy came from, as one example. There, they'll find the snarky kid like him who isn't so snarky anymore after Mommy and Daddy lost the basement he lived in along with the rest of the house to foreclosure.

I'm glad some kids can still make fun from the safety of their parents protection though. At least someone is still enjoying this show. Most of us are just doing well to close each month with all paid and all settled for the next month to start it all over again.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by HumanitiesLastHope
Well that may be true, but when your on national television speaking with a news anchor you should at least show some respect and take it serious.

The guy is talking to some miss America character on a network that routinely shows no respect whatsoever to people being interviewed. If this was a serious news network and they tried to do a decent job, they would deserve respect for it. But this is Fox News. With some superficial popularity queen. Its not exactly real journalists that are digging for truth here.

However I never mentioned I was voting or whom for so I'm not quite sure why you attacked me with that, but I hope I cleared things up and answered your questions. So would you be so kind to answer the ones I presented?

Im honestly sorry if you felt personally attacked because that wasnt my intention at all. Perhaps my frustration with your system made me sound a bit too aggressive. I just wanted to explain why I think this guy didnt take Fox News seriously, and why I feel that the most efficient vote for change is not to vote at all.

I dont know if this is how most young Americans view things (which is one of your questions), but I actually kind of hope they do because you wont get any change in this corrupted system by supporting it by voting.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by HumanitiesLastHope

Holy crap, that was some really bad quality television.

Both the kid and the interviewer should not be on television in my opinion.

Was that kid high on something? Really embarrassing behaviour.

*ETA:
I don't get to watch much U.S. television, so maybe this is considered "normal"?
edit on 23-9-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
This is a disconnect between generations.

They don't understand that a lot of young people today have no interest or desire to sustain the bull# system we have today.

If you didn't want this level of apathy from us, then you shouldn't have signed our lives and future earnings away before we were even born only to call us entitled assholes for using and expanding upon the social safety nets you created.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
haaaaa funny.

Didn't do himself any favors in the job market on that one.

I'm 21 soon 22. Graduated HS in '08, so those in my class that went to four year schools just graduated this past spring. Common college culture isn't helping the problems in America. For many, it is an opportunity for a fun social time and little else.

I don't have a job right now, but am working on some projects that I believe to be potentially very profitable. I don't have a degree and am not currently enrolled, have done two semesters of college and am in good standing to go back if I need to. Generally, I am pretty different than the average person my age.

Pretty sure the proportion of young people unequipped to make a responsible decision at the ballot is no more today than it was 10,20, or 30 years ago. There is something to be said for idealism and a care free optimism, seeing humor where it's scarce. I'll defend the peers of my age group until the end, and I believe the youth is about the best thing America has going for them right now. Still looking for purpose, but skilled in friendly communication and more unity oriented. When the wake up call comes that problems abound and there are serious matters, many in the young demographic will be eager to help others and contribute in the idealist fashion.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I see EXACTLY what this kid is doing here. Notice how he jumps in before she has asked the question. Interrupts her often. Doesn't let her finish her point. Shows general disdain for the interviewer.

Those are cornerstone FOX news anchor behaviors. Nearly all of their hosts act much like the kid when they are doing the interviews (see Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity). The next time I see a guest of dissenting opinion on FOX news actually get to make his point before being rudely cutoff, it will be the first.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I mean just listening to how he says certain things he's pretty much done. Just completely done. I can't speak for too many people but seeing as I'm pretty much in the same boat, my opinion on elections in general is why bother? You have the choice between a douche and a turd sandwich.

Not to mention how massive, massive it's obvious that he considers fox "news" a joke. Starting with his miss usa joke and going from there if you actually grasp how deadpan he's being he thinks that they're ridiculous and not worthy of his time and attention. Which they aren't.

And yes to anyone wondering it really is that bad. Most everyone I know still lives at home at this age because it is IMPOSSIBLE to get out on your own unless you're lucky enough to land a job with a decent payrate, which doesn't happen really or get about four or five other people together and get a house. It's just the way thing's are probably for the forseeable future. Things are screwed for my age group and the one in question. It's just how it goes I guess.

I'm finally getting a house with my girlfriend because we have a kid on the way but even then were both going to end up commuting about an hour just to maintain a job and find somewhere cheap enough that we can afford WITH a mortgage. Even that house is going to be a massive fixer upper so thing's are in a really bad way everywhere around here.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I`m guessing that he is either high on drugs or he is mentally challenged.
he can`t sit still,and his eyes keep darting all over.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I graduated from technical school a year ago and can't get a job in my field of study so I work retail. Terrible pay rate, nobody working there can live on their own. I live with my parents currently and I'm disgusted with how my peers regard politics. Really, most people my age are apathetic. Why did they have this guy on there to represent the youth of America anyway? Why didn't they pick someone that actually cares about this country?
Is this how they want the nation to see us young people? It's really sad.

As for myself, I'll be voting for Johnson. Why? Because he gets it. If you don't know anything about our Libertarian candidate, look him up! I didn't know much about him until he did an interview on reddit. I liked him because he answered questions that matter in a brief and to the point manner, and I found myself in agreement with him on a wide span of issues. Conversely Obama's reddit interview consisted of paragraph-long answers that edged around the real meat of the issue and I could just hear his voice droning on in my head.

I don't hate Romney, but he's really not the best choice for anyone if you want to change what's wrong with this country. He's made a political career for himself and the Presidency is just sealing his retirement as a very rich man in 4 years. I can't take that seriously. But if a third party has any chance of winning, or at least posing a threat, my peers really need to wake up and start caring before we have to live with our parents until our 30s.
edit on 9/23/2012 by martianmallow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Honestly? I think you can tell that this guy is deliberately trying to embarrass Faux news. Occupy the media.

I love it, I think it's pretty funny, and it does a pretty good job of exposing the biased BS Fox for what it is.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I fit in that age demographic and had the awesome opportunity to vote for Obama last election.

Unfortunately, that awesome opportunity, didn't turn into the awesome change we were promised as a country. I, as an individual, was naive of the political process, and was extremely upset about this.

I've spent a great amount of time dissecting, analyzing, and reviewing the political direction of the United States over the past few years, which was initially, one of the things that led me to this site. While I was a minor supporter of Ron Paul then, I must say I find myself thinking the same as in 08, wishing he had an opportunity to run.

I'll be writing in my presidential candidate, voting all incumbents out, and voting third party for all National, State and local governments. Politics was never meant to be a career and the fact we pay these people above the national average income is absolutely blasphemous. This is supposed to be a civil duty, not being a part of the Kings royalty.

Also, remove corporate money from US politics, then maybe we can work towards a less-corrupt tomorrow.

Peace.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Ladies and gentlemen welcome to "generation lulz" where creating sound and video bytes, for the sake of Youtube glory is the most relevant and noble thing that one can do. Kids, these days, are in it for the laughs. I've got four family members in the 17-21 age group and this is how they perceive the world - through lulz.

If you try to have a serious conversation with them they pretty much will tell you "Why should I care? It's all gone down the toilet anyway..."

Gen X became "generation doom" somewhere along the line - and now or kids are reacting to it.

The good news is that these kids can be serious. I just hope they are on voting day because we truly do live in a world where a meme could give rise to "President Carrot Top" or something along those lines.

All for the lulz.

~Heff

( BTW when the term "gen lulz" catches on, remember who coined it!
)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
We all can agree Fox news is laughable, did noone catch the part of why he is not voting Obama again?! He lost a basketball game with a friend people!

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Dear HumanitiesLastHope,

Yeah I see what you are saying, and that makes perfect sense. You almost took the words right out of my mouth . However I'm just a little confused, when you say the youth is about fourth on the list what do you mean? Isn't the youth the most important since they take over and are the future of this country.

You're absolutely right, I may be confusing important with urgent. There was a reason I put it fourth, though. The other three, at least in my mind, are the possibility of nuclear war centered in the Mid-East, a global economic collapse bringing us into a world-wide depression, and the removal of most citizens' rights in case of the election of a President, and his Supreme Court picks, wanting to destroy the Constitution.

May I thank you, over and over, for reading my post and noticing that problem? You've got a great style. Stick around and keep checking things against reason. We need you around here.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Well, how do you vote humorously?

Seriously.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join