It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions that stop the mind

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
this was not too mind boggling :/

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by omarm1984

What if there was no before and no next?
Can you see what is looking out of your eyes?
What am I?
What is this?
Does sound come from the past?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

What does this moment lack?

In a word? Clarity. Several more words are Patience, and Caring. Many say they "live in the moment," but is being in the moment an effective way to deal with our biggest, most pressing concerns? Concerns such as how will we pay next month's mortgage, car payment, or how can we make things right in a relationship, or how will we reduce war and pollution in the world?
I discovered that the power of being in the now really comes alive when you connect with your Higher Self, the God/Goddess within. Whenever possible, follow through with your inner guidance the moment you receive that guidance. by this I mean right now. I have found that this pays off in spades, and never steers me in the wrong direction. I am not rich, or even well off, but I have made and spent over 2 million dollars in my life, I worked hard for high pay as an automotive technician and mechanic. Now, at 58, I am in very good health, save for acid reflux and a chronic bad back. My internal organs are in very good shape, no ulcers, and even though I smoked for 38 years, my lungs are clear, and my doctor is amazed at my lung capacity. I eat hot, spicy foods, drink 6 cans of soda and 12 cups of coffee with sugar every single day. Like I said, being in direct communication with one's Inner Higher Self is the best and only thing one really needs to do. No worship indicated, no book of rules to go by, just open your ears and mind to the Divine Within. All of your made up Gods and Goddesses are just avatars, and representations of the real deal. I will leave off with this, a very wise woman said this to me years ago:

"If that which you Seek is not found Within, then you will never find it."
Friends, I take that advice to Heart. Blessed Be.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by omarm1984
Why is it that negative comments get a lot more attention than positive ones? Specially in this section of the forums, it seems that the most judgemental people reside in the spiriuality section. Am I the only one that finds this utterly ironic?

Humans and the human mind seeks to fall into the fold, it is part of an overall nature of everything. Many concepts and anything you have ever seen, or can ever think of, can be expressed in any number of infinite ways, do to the fallen hive mind tendency's of humanity. It will always require a synchronicity patter to express and define the world around them, it is what religion is, it is what education is, it is what even public opinion is.

They are synching in into a paradigm and all paradigms are just offshoots of the paradigm of thought, the truth is that when you look up at the sky you can see any number of things and express those things any number of ways. And that is a big reason why when people looked up at the sky ages ago they saw gods, or magical forces, and now we see gas and atoms and composed matter, its all really just part of it, and if you could, you could see anything you wanted to. And in there respective times and places, those things were real to them.

When you set yourself down to a teaching or a learning you are not only learning something new, but you are also setting and tuning your mind into that specific vibration, and so you get people arguing about the specifics of there chosen vibrational sequences. A completely religious person who has been born in that certain mindframe will not see completely eye to eye with someone who has been born and raised in a more as they call it scientific mindframe, when one looks at a certain thing that they seen in there world the first one says "its an act of god" and the second one will say "its particles or gasses" and in there respective reality, but they are really both right and wrong.

And if you want to go into that deeper into other realities not just ones that are just juxtapositions of mirroring semblances, if you really want to go into more alien worlds prepare to be shocked. Because yes, 1+1 = 2 only as long as everybody is on the same frequency, in others truly alien ones, believe it or not 1+1 can equal 3. Now try to grasp that, and you will see that your mind will just go blank and shut down, you can not even imagine it, much less conceive of a logical way of how that can be. That is because everything that came before and I am talking eons and eons, is set to specific pasterns of things, and those specific patterns lead to specific ends wich make specific webs, ie they have a design.

Do you want to know why we have this phenomenon with aliens and grays, one of the biggest reasons are of the things I listed above only more complicated, and yes. Look around you now, even the whole gray phenomenon is pretty common, and the concept of other biological entities living on other planets is pretty common now, when a but a few centuries or even years ago it was not even on there wavelength, they could not even imagine it. It is how our world and existence operates, and from stage to stage humans have been brought to slowly gestate certain "concepts" and yes you can even think of them as focus points for certain realities, and the more they believe or concentrate on mass on certain things the more real it will be to them, they can even bring it into there reality, into there wavelength.

So yes, the whole thing is but inching closer to a sort of collision of worlds, and when things collide things are not pretty, I mean even look at what happens when people of the same religions and worshiping the same god using the same concepts collide, usually one kills the other. The same can happen on a grander scope, and it is all brought into existence by the power of belief.
Philosophy is just a way that people can mold and push and pull such things and the thing called belief.

Now what is belief?
The definition is as follows. be·lief/biˈlēf/
Noun:

An acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.
Something one accepts as true or real; a firmly held opinion or conviction.

But that does not really answer anything, and if one wanted one can ask a bunch of questions on those points. Questions such as how did one come to belief the things they belief? And even in that it is but a chain that will lead back an eternity. Or as one of the questions Dark Ghost posted in page 2 of this thread.

"Why do I believe in Oxygen if I cannot see, hear, touch, taste or smell it?"

Off course that to can be answered. But really if you think about it can anybody see oxygen, and aren't all the models we have of such things as oxygen, and atoms just things that we have drawn up, can we even use a microscope to see oxygen. And if we do will we really see this.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Crap ran out of space. Forgot what I was going to say. But anyways I have other musings and questions.

But I suppose that is another question one can ask. And you literally can question anything in this world, or at least if you are able to, you can. And like the question about oxygen, if you think about all that we have is diagrams and pictures, ie concepts of how they look and function. They are very defined and expanded concepts that for sure, but again has anybody actually seen with there own eyes or by way of other means things such as oxygen or even a hydrogen atom. Sure we know it exists, because we can make it go boom...But why is that? And how can something that we only have diagrams and concepts on but never actually seen it... Do that?

And on the subject of aliens grays and some others and there worlds, one has to think upon that to them there is no good or bad, there is not even right or wrong, and none of of these questions exist, to them there is only a 0 and a 1. If we synch in with them and they can fully manifest here, it will be like letting a bunch of tigers lose in a daycare center full of 5 yr olds. It is oil and water, it may not mix all that well. But then again, it would make things interesting. But it would not be like in the movies that's for sure, and NO will smith wont be able to do jack squat to save the earth like he did in independence day.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I think some of you might find this interesting:

en.wikipedia.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">en.wikipedia.org...

Reflexive self-consciousness is a concept, related to that of enlightenment, formulated by Eugene Halliday during the 1940s-1950s in England. He set out his concept in his book, Reflexive Self-Consciousness, which, having been circulated in softback format for many years, was published in hardback in 1989 by Melchisedec Press, ISBN 1-872240-01-1. The concept is of value from a psychological as well as a spiritual point of view. How can we deal with the rapidly increasing pace and complexity of life, fear of terrorism and the threatening state of world affairs, impending ecological destruction and the confusions of personal relationships - without succumbing to the wear and tear of stress, to depression and illness?

Too bad yall ran Drucilla off, I would be interested in what she thought of it, but I realize this thread was more about the finger pointing at the moon. That's cool too. But how do you discuss that which cannot be described ??

.....................................................................................

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Pilot

From your link.

The concept is of value from a psychological as well as a spiritual point of view. How can we deal with the rapidly increasing pace and complexity of life, fear of terrorism and the threatening state of world affairs, impending ecological destruction and the confusions of personal relationships - without succumbing to the wear and tear of stress, to depression and illness?

You can not, just like you can not make an omelet without breaking an egg.

And the funny thing is, and unlike the moto of this site "deny ignorance" as long as your within safe distance of all those things. Then really ignorance will in some way buffer you from all that is going on in the world, and all around you, so you do not succumb to any wear and tear, depression or illness of it. Because you will be blissfully ignorant of it all and will have nothing to weigh you down. That is, it will only last up and to the point that it hits you and gets up close and personal so in the end were all omelets.

It is in a way exactly the way we raise children, that is! there basically ignorant of everything going on around them when born, and at a young age, but slowly withing there capacity the things that weigh down are slowly thought or learned, or at least that is the concept most people try to follow, and everybody has there quirks some of the things one would fear or have no capacity for, another may, or vice versa, but you know some of us are thrown into the deep end from the get go.
And some seem to remain constantly ignorant of things, and then you have everything in between that. But I suppose its its like everything else, you take it one step at a time, and you first have to learn to walk, before you can run.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Druscilla took it deep (no pun intended) with the criteria from several intellectual ATSers, let's give her a round of applause for not going pathos on us
that pun was intended

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by sgspecial19
Druscilla took it deep (no pun intended) with the criteria from several intellectual ATSers, let's give her a round of applause for not going pathos on us
that pun was intended

hear hear

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

I also think some work better for some people than for others...

For each of these spend a few moments reflecting on them. Don't answer them and dont analyze them, just reflect on them.
Look at any person. Can you physically see their thoughts?

Put yourself in an imaginary person's shoes. Can another person see your thoughts?

I get all of them except these two which, well, my analytical self hollers "foul!"

All the rest I see as if looking at facets in a cut gem, twisting it and seeing another view here, and there, and there etc. until all are one and none. But, the two questions I singled out above just toss me out completely. How are we to consider these? I know you said not to analyze ... but, these two are real show-stoppers for me.

I can "zap" my mind out at will, with no koans at all ... but, not with these two questions which create a weird conflict of some sort.

Thanks!

edit on 26/9/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

They are both similar to each other. Those 2 questions are pointing out how our thoughts are just fantazies, they dont exist, yet we treat them as if they were 100% real. Thats why they ask "can you physically see their thoughts" to point out the illusion.
I find those two questions to be most effective when I use them around people. When I sit somewhere and theres people around, I'll ask myself this question and all my judgements about them dissappear for that moment, and I see them as what they really are, just a person. Not a bad person, or a friendly, or ugly or attractive, just a person. Because in fact your mind has stopped after you, for that moment, find out that your judgements are just illusions. So for that moment you see the people qith greater depth and it actually helps you be a little more outgoing and become less self-conscious.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
The reason to "stop the mind" is to escape the cages of identity and belief. Belief is nothing more or less than awareness plus expectation, both are subject to change at any moment...certainly not a stable platform. Identity is the effort to stake claim to a particular realm of existence such as an ego...why choose to limit awareness to a specific identity? The ego doesn't care about your happiness or fulfillment, only the maintenance of itself. I find that the more the mind insists upon itself, the less it actually believes in what it is thinking...sort of like trying to convince itself that it is correct when deep down...there really IS no belief.
If our minds could let go of "thinking as existence" then awareness will unfold to reveal the endless possibilities of existence... and there you will find the fulfillment and creativity that our spirits seem to be seeking.
Check out revealedawareness.com

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
What I often do that stops my mind is listening to my thoughts and thinking about how my thoughts created in my mind sound different to thoughts that are created as I'm writing, and then I think about how I would write down the thoughts that I'm thinking and how I would make it sound like it naturally does in my head, but then as soon as I think about my writing my thoughts, my thoughts become unnatural, and they start to turn into thoughts I would have when I'm thinking about writing, and not the thoughts I have when I am simply thinking about what's on my mind.

It's hard to put this process into words, but I've recently read Virginia Woolf To the Lighthouse, and she writes about thoughts so naturally and eloquently, it's almost scary, and then I marvel about what a genius she is, and how I wish I could create something like that.
edit on 9/26/2012 by Xaberz because: fixed grammar mistake

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Do I have a body or am I the body?

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Originally posted by RobertF
I don't remember the OP asking for educational advice....

Where the OP, and anyone else that asks these same questions, lack of education on the topic is obvious.

This statement is not a derogatory, nor an insult, but, a simple observation where my previous post offers resources whereby the OP questions can and will be answered.

The questions aren't new. It's simple, basic, freshmen level Philosophy.
It's almost like a child asking where babies come from, except, in this case, the questions and anwers are a little more esoteric where anyone asking them would profit better from taking a university course on the topic where the questions are already covered than debating about it online with others of equal ignorance to their own.

Take the fish or learn how to fish. It's your choice.

edit on 22-9-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

How about just chat about the topic? Again, people don't seem to realize if the OP wanted to spend time learning all there is to know about philosophy, he/she would go to school - not come here. Then, heaven forbid someone should have question in a different field. Would you tell them to go to school for that, too? There's not enough time in one lifetime to learn all there is to know about quantum physics, medicine, chemistry, psychiatry, electricity, plumbing, music...

So, is it okay by you if we just ask and chat about our simple curiosities here?

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

1. What does this moment lack?

2. Look out your window at the whole scene, the sky, the sun, clouds, ground, buildings, seas. How significant are you in relation to everything you see?

3. In comparison to everything that exists, the Universe, how important are your thoughts and your judgements?

4. Look at any person. Can you physically see their thoughts?

5. Put yourself in an imaginary person's shoes. Can another person see your thoughts?

6. If you did not exist anymore, what would happen to all that exists? Would the Universe stop existing?

7. What will be your next thought?

1. Nothing, actually.

2. In relationship to everything I sometimes feels as though I am totally separate. The people I see, I'm not one of them. The houses, the sky... Sometimes they don't seem real at all.

3. My thoughts and judgements don't seem to have any relevance at all. I can only hope that maybe I said something to someone that made a difference.

4. Nope.

5. Not sure what this means. If I make myself imaginary then no one can see me.

6. When I cease to exist, the information I donated into my children's DNA will keep me alive in their forms.

7. I don't know. Can anyone know?

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
It seems that "Druscilla" is saying that the questions are too easily answered by philosophy, and perhaps not stunning enough to do the job, (stopping the mind). although the "What will my next thought be?" question does it for me. How can I predict my next thought when it is already here.. as a result of my trying? Does that mean that the real "me" isn't a thinker at all...and can that "me" can be a predictor without thinking at all? What IS existence?..and can I become more aware of it by thinking...or by not thinking?
C'mon all you amateur philosophers out there...maybe we can exceed anything that has ever been thought of yet, by the "professionals" that is.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by RevealedAwarenesscom
It seems that "Druscilla" is saying that the questions are too easily answered by philosophy, and perhaps not stunning enough to do the job, (stopping the mind). although the "What will my next thought be?" question does it for me. How can I predict my next thought when it is already here.. as a result of my trying? Does that mean that the real "me" isn't a thinker at all...and can that "me" can be a predictor without thinking at all? What IS existence?..and can I become more aware of it by thinking...or by not thinking?
C'mon all you amateur philosophers out there...maybe we can exceed anything that has ever been thought of yet, by the "professionals" that is.

If you look to where your next thought appears (which is what the question is supposed to make you do - it is an experiential thing not an intellectual exercise) you will find nothing. That nothing is where thoughts arise. Thoughts arise from nothing and appear in nothing.
That nothing is extremely peaceful.

You are not the thinker, you are the knower of thought.
Thought is noise and you are the silent witness.
edit on 28-9-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Question 1: This moment is lacking nothing. Nothing also being something, it lacks something. If this moment lacks something, every moment lacks something (nothing). If every moment that every has, is and will be lacks something, then the universe has never been complete. If the universe has never been complete and has always been in lack of something then it has always been as complete as it can and ever will be. If it is as complete as it can and will be, then this moment lacks nothing.

Question 2: I am first in the order of importance to what I see. What I see is my perspective and my perspective alone. Without me, my perspective would not exist.

Question 3: The answer depends on whether or not you believe the universe exist without you or not. I believe that what is around me has a presence outside of my perception. I believe that my children exist regardless of me. I believe, in other words, that this is not all solely in my mind. Therefore, my judgements, observations, etc. are rather trite, trivial, and inconsequential.

Question 4: Some

Question 5: Yes

Question 6: No. Only my perspective of it.

Question 7: Unknown

P.S. I understand the exercise but the last four seemed as though the were easily answered in one word.
edit on 28-9-2012 by Philodemus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Do I have a body or am I the body?

You are the body. It is the most self-evident thing imaginable.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join