It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions that stop the mind

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

For the record, friend, I have learned so much over the last 40 something years that they never would, nor ever could teach at university. I don't shun formal learning. But I don't crave to know the meanings of big words, or how to use someone elses labels and complicated concepts.

Ironically - this is a philosophical argument. I went to, and still attend, the university of life. What I learn here everyday is at least as important as anything learned in university.

I hope you don't this this reply to you is another attack, it is not meant as such. Please consider that we all learn in different ways at different times in our lives. I had serious learning disabilities as a child. I overcame them very slowly. Eventually I became successful. My IQ puts my way up there, but I was bottom of every class. And if it were not for my spell check system every other word in this reply would be misspelled. So I struggled with learning, but I don't struggle with thinking. I feel I am equipped to debate these issues without knowing the difference between all those big words you listed. I can tell you what I think, and you can do the same for me.

So try finding some questions which do stop your mind. Try putting the learning aside, and embracing blankness. There might be another lesson in there somewhere which you had not previously thought of.

Again I reiterate my apology for my rather harsh first reaction to you. I hope you now understand what this thread was supposed to do? It wasn't about philosophy after all - it was about turning off the mind and experiencing the lack of thoughts, rather than the depths of thinking.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

why are u always ney saying and starting sh*t on every thread

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Your experience is the only thing in your life that you can be absolutely certain about imho. I don't see how people can be completely sure of anything outside of that.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by infiniteclarity
Your experience is the only thing in your life that you can be absolutely certain about imho. I don't see how people can be completely sure of anything outside of that.

This adheres to the Epistemological school of Idealism of which Solipsism is one extreme.

This is usually in opposition to arguments siding with the school of Ontological Realism where objects will have physical existence outside of, separate from, and despite the observing mind.

EDIT 01:
The following is a blog tended by GEOFFREY KLEMPNER
Director of the Pathways School of Philosophy and founding member of the International Society for Philosophers --
Realism, Idealism, Solipsism
The blog article discusses the defense and defensibility of all these stances.

Once again, feel free to educate yourself, vilify me, or, not.

Edit 02:

Originally posted by DocHolidaze

why are u always ney saying and starting sh*t on every thread

Do you only want to learn things that you agree with, that are easy, or do you want to challenge yourself by stepping away from the peewee league of t-ball where you might actually have to work for something?

I'm not getting stars out of any of this.
So, just what am I getting out of this other than lots of hate mail?

It seems some people only want to hear what they like and want to hear.
The real world isn't quite so agreeable.
Does the real world care if your 3rd eye is open? No.

How about some tougher questions, like; If Druscilla is so hated, vilified, and disliked, then, why is it done, and why is it done with such detail with supporting documentation, links, resources, articles and papers written by other important people that are saying the exact thing that Druscilla is saying?

"Deny Ignorance" can be interpreted as one word; "Educate", yourself, others, anyone, everyone.

Why is it so easy to hate Druscilla? All I've done is link some educational resources, for FREE. Isn't that suspicious in and of itself that such an act is met with all this hostility?
Does someone not want people to listen?
Why is it so easy to dislike Druscilla?

Don't you find that suspicious?

edit on 23-9-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

edit on 23-9-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

The thread is not about education and what fills the mind, the title of the thread is 'Questions that stop the mind'.

The questions framed in the OP are questions already answered in conventional Philosophy.
Thus, my stance.
I'm entirely on topic in maintaining a stance for conventional Philosophy.

Further, this is an open, public forum. If I am out of line, please alert the moderators and they will attend to actioning as appropriate if any T&C have been violated.

Thus, conventional Philosophy can, has, will, and is capable of answering the questions framed in the OP, regardless and in spite of what the thread title is.
Conventional Philosophy can be obtained through education.
My stance is on topic.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I agree everyone is welcome and every post is welcome. I just think that maybe you are confused to what 'stop the mind' means.
The mind does not shut up - have you noticed?
It is a refreshing change to live without the constant chatter.
Silence is golden and when the mind stops there is peace.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I agree everyone is welcome and every post is welcome. I just think that maybe you are confused to what 'stop the mind' means.

In which case you may be interested in Nishida Kitaro and Absolute Nothingness .

There's also Nothingness Theory which as linked has it's own website exploring such topic under that name.

If you or anyone else is into purchasing a book, there's Philosophers of Nothingness and several other related and/or associated books.

As stated before and maintained, it can all be answered through conventional proven Philosophy.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by omarm1984

For each of these spend a few moments reflecting on them. Don't answer them and dont analyze them, just reflect on them.
Here they are:

What does this moment lack?

Look out your window at the whole scene, the sky, the sun, clouds, ground, buildings, seas. How significant are you in relation to everything you see?

In comparison to everything that exists, the Universe, how important are your thoughts and your judgements?

Look at any person. Can you physically see their thoughts?

Put yourself in an imaginary person's shoes. Can another person see your thoughts?

If you did not exist anymore, what would happen to all that exists? Would the Universe stop existing?

What will be your next thought?

I'm going to answer them anyway, simply because I'm not busy today

1. This moment lacks a feeling of contentment for me. I'm a little anxious today.

2. I'm pretty insignificant in relation to the squirrels, chipmunks, birds, and the groundhog I see out of my window right now. Their life seems a lot tougher than mine.

3. I don't know how to compare my thoughts to the universe. Sorry.

4. Of course, we can't see people's thoughts, but we can see expressions of them in language, art, architecture, etc.

5. It appears that the universe continues no matter who dies.

6. My next thoughts will probably have something to do with cleaning my living room today.

Not much to reflect upon for me, but I could be missing why you want people to reflect on these questions, omarm1984?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

In which case you may be interested in Nishida Kitaro and Absolute Nothingness .

There's also Nothingness Theory which as linked has it's own website exploring such topic under that name.

If you or anyone else is into purchasing a book, there's Philosophers of Nothingness and several other related and/or associated books.

As stated before and maintained, it can all be answered through conventional proven Philosophy.

Yes, I agree 100% all those questions can be answered through philosophy. Heck, I don't know much about philosophy but I can answer those questions myself. But these questions are meant to make you look for the answer yourself, and through that process, get in touch with the space that the mind finds when it encounters such questions.
If I were a teacher and taught you that all that ever exists is the present moment, you would write that down and next time you're asked the question "What is all that ever exists?" you'll know the answer is "the present moment". This is abstract knowledge. It is knowledge you have learned because of a professional told you the answer. And yes, this is valid knowledge. Scientists and great thinkers throughout history spent countless hours of analysis to come to the conclusion and then more time to optimize it.

But this thread was created to make you reflect on the questions being presented. As I said, they are not to be answered, but to put in that state of awe and of now-awareness. I dont have to take philosophy 101 to look for the answers, I could more easily do a google search.
I'll repeat this again so that there's a better understanding of what I'm trying to convey through this thread and so the arguments cease. These questions are not meant to be answered, they are meant to make you open your eyes to the only thing that is reality, to existance, to the now. They are not meant to open a philosophical debate.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Thank you for providing theories.
I think this thread is about experiencing the nothingness firsthand. To know the nothingness rather than what someone else has told you is what is beneficial.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by trysts

For each of these spend a few moments reflecting on them. Don't answer them and dont analyze them, just reflect on them.
Here they are:

What does this moment lack?

Look out your window at the whole scene, the sky, the sun, clouds, ground, buildings, seas. How significant are you in relation to everything you see?

In comparison to everything that exists, the Universe, how important are your thoughts and your judgements?

Look at any person. Can you physically see their thoughts?

Put yourself in an imaginary person's shoes. Can another person see your thoughts?

If you did not exist anymore, what would happen to all that exists? Would the Universe stop existing?

What will be your next thought?

I'm going to answer them anyway, simply because I'm not busy today

1. This moment lacks a feeling of contentment for me. I'm a little anxious today.

2. I'm pretty insignificant in relation to the squirrels, chipmunks, birds, and the groundhog I see out of my window right now. Their life seems a lot tougher than mine.

3. I don't know how to compare my thoughts to the universe. Sorry.

4. Of course, we can't see people's thoughts, but we can see expressions of them in language, art, architecture, etc.

5. It appears that the universe continues no matter who dies.

6. My next thoughts will probably have something to do with cleaning my living room today.

Not much to reflect upon for me, but I could be missing why you want people to reflect on these questions, omarm1984?
To answer those questions, I'm sure there was a moment, even a split second, where you had to silently notice either your surroundings or the present moment until you could formulate an answer. That moment of silent noticing is pure awareness. The longer you are able to hold that moment, the more you can feel awakened.
edit on 23-9-2012 by omarm1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by omarm1984

Awakened to what, omarm1984?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

To the now.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

To the now.

Hmmm...There certainly appear to be a lot of "now" people around here. There's one person here who responds to almost everything with some kind of 'nowness'. I can't say it means anything to me since I'm well aware of the present. I guess I don't understand your point?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

My next thought?

Mind is the builder.

Looking out into the order of nature I find I am a major player within the experience and the mind is what is sooo powerful.... lets build it.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Why is it so easy to dislike Druscilla?

You have the knowledge.... We see this and love this about you.

Try to humble yourself when conveying said knowledge and you will be taken seriously instead of an egotistical maniac who loves to show off intelligence with no soul.

This is a thought provoking thread that could provide insight maybe even to you as long as we stay on topic and not derail.

Insults are no good. You know this....
Dont you?

Questions that stop the mind can be a philosophical discussion whereas we can learn from each other by sharing thoughts in an adult manner. Building the mind through one another and not against one another. See?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

I dont think I fully understand your point either, and I have a feeling that trying to understand it will open the doors to more off-topic debating. So lets agree to not understand anything about each other. LOL.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

reply to post by trysts

I dont think I fully understand your point either, and I have a feeling that trying to understand it will open the doors to more off-topic debating. So lets agree to not understand anything about each other. LOL.

Okay, so all those questions were about "stopping the mind", to be "awakened" to "now". I said that I don't understand the point of telling people about "now", simply because it's so obvious there is a "now", that it doesn't seem enlightening, so I must be missing something.

Is that more understandable?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

reply to post by trysts

Okay, so all those questions were about "stopping the mind", to be "awakened" to "now". I said that I don't understand the point of telling people about "now", simply because it's so obvious there is a "now", that it doesn't seem enlightening, so I must be missing something.

Is that more understandable?

Yes. Its obvious that there is a now.
Ask anybody if there is a now, and 100% of people will answer "Yes". Even if you find a time machine and you go back in time, and you ask someone from the the 9th century if its still the now, they will answer positively.
But KNOWING that there is a now is not the same as being AWARE OF the now.
Just like knowing the concept of love is not the same as being in love.

Knowing involves the mind.
Being aware involves the "no-mind", which is the pure consciousness, that part of you that is there even when your mind is asleep, and that is present even in animals.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join