It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions that stop the mind

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by Druscilla

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Next time you witness someone getting slapped, you might experience the tingling of enlightenment.

And can anyone actually read? One hand clapping - not slapping!!

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

A slap is a celebratory clap for one side of the exchange.
Perspective.

It's also one of those questions that can't be answered to everyone's satisfaction as it's one of those pseudo-philosophical bits of nonsense that you can win, I can win, or anyone can "win" by saying any answer, like; yellow, pancakes, the mysterious 'bloop' on the bottom of the ocean, swish swish, bubble gum on the bottom of your shoe. It doesn't matter because it's a nonsense question.

edit on 23-9-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

A slap is a celebratory clap for one side of the exchange.
Perspective.

It's also one of those questions that can't be answered to everyone's satisfaction as it's one of those pseudo-philosophical bits of nonsense that you can win, I can win, or anyone can "win" by saying any answer, like; yellow, pancakes, the mysterious 'bloop' on the bottom of the ocean, swish swish, bubble gum on the bottom of your shoe. It doesn't matter because it's a nonsense question.

edit on 23-9-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

You do not seem to understand the title of the thread, it is 'Questions that stop the mind'. The mind is strong in you and refuses to stop.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

It is an exercise to ponder unanswerable questions. Paradox drives our rational minds to the edge, and we are forced to abandon rationality, and presently enter a state of No Mind. Here, really, is where all the answers lie, but perceivable only in abstraction, beyond concrete mind. To contemplate the unknowable, we are compelled to let go of preconceptions, thereby allowing true Wisdom or Truth to become attainable.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

That's probably because I've had University level Philosophy, which, as I stated in my very first post, these questions are covered under freshman level courses.
It's really a matter of education.

Philosophy hasn't produced anything new, distinctive, or worthwhile in quite awhile.
Steven Hawking even says it in the second episode of his new series Steven Hawking's Grand Design; "Philosophy is dead".

Philosophy is fundamental as part of a University education in regards to certain foundations applicable to ethics, reason, rhetoric, as well as thought processes and terms important to other fields.
It's a primer for other more serious, practical applications.

One can certainly have some fun with "Philosophy", but, all in all, questions like in the OP have been covered long ago in the t-ball league of Freshman beginner Philosophy 101.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

You have been taught answers by people instead of looking for yourself. You have knowledge, you have eaten from the tree of knowledge. The mind is full of knowledge - old knowledge, learned not new.
This thread is titled 'Questions that stop the mind'. I think you have come to the wrong place if you want to show off your mind.
I am very happy for you that you 'think' you 'know' so much. However this thread is about finding what the mind appears in and to.
What 'knows' the 'thinking'?
edit on 23-9-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ecapsretuo

It is an exercise to ponder unanswerable questions. Paradox drives our rational minds to the edge, and we are forced to abandon rationality, and presently enter a state of No Mind. Here, really, is where all the answers lie, but perceivable only in abstraction, beyond concrete mind. To contemplate the unknowable, we are compelled to let go of preconceptions, thereby allowing true Wisdom or Truth to become attainable.

A koan is a question that has no answer. A koan is a tool to stop the mind in it's tracks so the owner can be aware of the quiet that the mind appears in.

The quiet that contains the mind:
youtu.be...

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Once you recognize yourself as the quiet that contains the mind you will be free. Free to watch whatever is arising and free in the knowledge that nothing can touch you or harm you. Everything passes but the space in which all arises - and you are that (the everpresent space of awareness).

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
"Why do I believe in Oxygen if I cannot see, hear, touch, taste or smell it?"

"What defines my being?"

"How do I live?"

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by omarm1984

What's wrong with right now....unless you think about it?
Can you tell me what your next thought is going to be?

youtu.be...

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

You have been taught answers by people instead of looking for yourself. You have knowledge, you have eaten from the tree of knowledge. The mind is full of knowledge - old knowledge, learned not new.
This thread is titled 'Questions that stop the mind'. I think you have come to the wrong place if you want to show off your mind.
I am very happy for you that you 'think' you 'know' so much. However this thread is about finding what the mind appears in and to.
What 'knows' the 'thinking'?

Well said. I was thinking of a similar response to Druscilla, who unfortunately, most of the replies here are directed to. While I can see a lot of you guys are at pretty advanced level of waking up, you are able to recognize the effects of ego in a person, lets focus on the next stage, non-judgement, and give others space to express themselves any way their ego or their consciousness of the moment allows them to.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

That's probably because I've had University level Philosophy,

OK, we get it, you are trying to inject your college "smartness" to make yourself look bright and all, but this thread is being dragged in the wrong path due to this college bragging!!

Other than trying to show everyone your college "skills" how does it really answer what the OP is pondering here? This thread is NOT seeking someones "educated" text-book college answers. [color=gold]This thread is seeking answers WAY BEYOND THAT at a much HIGHER level!!!

You are messing up the thread with your need to brag about your "education" here. That is NOT what the OP is asking about nor anyone else.

edit on 23-9-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
All of ATS should learn this lesson ASAP: DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS. Just ignore her kind, please. Look at any thread she's been on. University level blah blah a matter of education blah blah blah please just take a course blah blah blah perhaps your little mind blah blah blah......

Just don't feed it anymore, please.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by RobertF
I don't remember the OP asking for educational advice....

Where the OP, and anyone else that asks these same questions, lack of education on the topic is obvious.

This statement is not a derogatory, nor an insult, but, a simple observation where my previous post offers resources whereby the OP questions can and will be answered.

The questions aren't new. It's simple, basic, freshmen level Philosophy.
It's almost like a child asking where babies come from, except, in this case, the questions and anwers are a little more esoteric where anyone asking them would profit better from taking a university course on the topic where the questions are already covered than debating about it online with others of equal ignorance to their own.

Take the fish or learn how to fish. It's your choice.

edit on 22-9-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

I'm sorry but you are so incredibly rude.

This post is not a quest for answers. It is an honest and decent attempt to give people things to ponder. Did you not read read the part where the OP said "do not try to answer the questions"?

Yet you come here and call him/her and all the readers of this thread uneducated and ignorant.

Perhaps you should learn a little about spirituality, meditation, respect....? Wow. Astonishing arrogance. The big I AM - so you went to college did you? Think that makes you oh so clever? Well, you are rude, arrogant and insulting.

Here is a question for you.... When does taking questions literally help one meditate on abstract issues?
Here's another.... How does a college education help when you are inherently ignorant?

I'll let you ponder......

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
All of ATS should learn this lesson ASAP: DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS. Just ignore her kind, please. Look at any thread she's been on. University level blah blah a matter of education blah blah blah please just take a course blah blah blah perhaps your little mind blah blah blah......

Just don't feed it anymore, please.

Right on.

Many of us here are college educated but some folks feel the need to brag on and on and on and on and on despite ruining a thread for gratification. SAD!!

Perhaps an inferior complex with folks like her. I hate to see that NONSENSE mess up good threads.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Sorry OP - I got so annoyed by that rude poster I forgot to answer you!

I think it is always good advise to have people think about these types of questions. Not to try and consciously answer them, as you said. But it is a good form of meditation. Like a thought train. It gives a starting point, then you can sit back and watch where your thoughts take you without actually doing anything conscious to direct those thoughts. This is a powerful and difficult meditation as we are always trying to be in charge of out thoughts. It is what we are taught to do, and unlearning it is very empowering.

Now I have to have a talk with myself about allowing myself to become annoyed. Not happy about that, if I am honest.
Ho hum - we live and learn. Thanks for the thought provoking post! :O)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by nothingwrong

I think it is always good advise to have people think about these types of questions. Not to try and consciously answer them, as you said. But it is a good form of meditation. Like a thought train. It gives a starting point, then you can sit back and watch where your thoughts take you without actually doing anything conscious to direct those thoughts. This is a powerful and difficult meditation as we are always trying to be in charge of out thoughts. It is what we are taught to do, and unlearning it is very empowering.

Now I have to have a talk with myself about allowing myself to become annoyed. Not happy about that, if I am honest.

The trick to stopping any negative reaction is recognizing the starting point. As you witness something that goes against your values, become aware of that sensation that arises from within you, for example, "I'm starting to sense a feeling of annoyance". Making yourself aware of the feeling before it grows is the key to stopping it.
Its easier to stop a skate than a semi truck.

I'm actually impressed about one of the links for the free college courses. I did not know such website existed and I just downloaded some computer science courses. LOL.

So is there anybody out there that actually reflected on the questions and got something out of it?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors

OK, we get it, you are trying to inject your college "smartness" to make yourself look bright and all, but this thread is being dragged in the wrong path due to this college bragging!!

Other than trying to show everyone your college "skills" how does it really answer what the OP is pondering here? This thread is NOT seeking someones "educated" text-book college answers. [color=gold]This thread is seeking answers WAY BEYOND THAT at a much HIGHER level!!!

You are messing up the thread with your need to brag about your "education" here. That is NOT what the OP is asking about nor anyone else.

edit on 23-9-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

So, basically you're defending ignorance?

I offer resources to FREE information of University level course material where anyone can have the information online at no cost, yet, I'm vilified for it?

Over and over and over throughout this thread it's been nothing but Bad Evil Horrible Druscilla.

I give you links to real educational resources.

What is WRONG with you people?!?!?!?

Philosophy that's beyond what's examined at University?

Sounds more like one of those poor excuses of pseudo-philosophical hogwash pile of steaming metaphysical poop for people that are too insecure, entirely gullible, and overly sensitive about their lack of a real education to even try applying themselves to a real education for fear they don't have the cognitive facility to succeed, so, they make up their own or subscribe to some new age meta-physical half-price book store "Ancient Wisdom" hoo-hah.

If you want to answer the questions asked in the OP, just follow the links to the educational resources I've provided.
Quit nailing me to a board and throwing barbs at me.

Nothing worth having is going to be easy. If it's easy, you're being deceived.
I've given you resources to the hard path; the path where you're not spoon fed sweet tasting goop, but the path where you'll actually have to apply yourself to learning something and work at it.

Post insults about me all you want. Call me names. Vilify me. Send me hate mail.
At the end of the day, what choice have you made?
Have you actually done something to make yourself better, to learn something new, something taught at expensive universities? or have you taken the cheap way out by gobbling up the half-price book store sweet tasting goop that tell you what you want to hear? or have you done nothing much at all except get on an internet forum and argue with someone about who's right and who's wrong?

Really, who cares?

At the end of the day, you'll know the truth about you, yourself, and what choices you've made.
Whatever choices you make are yours.
Take the easy choice, the hard choice, or none at all.

I've offered links to educational resources that would usually cost someone money.
I haven't seen anyone else offer anything else other than derogatory Druscilla bashing and pseudo-philosophical nonsense talk about "ancient wisdom".

Beyond University Education?
That would imply the requirement of having University Education to begin with so as to level up beyond that with a foundation of world philosophy studied over at least a 4 year degree plan.

Bash, insult, and vilify me all you wish.

At the end of the day, you'll know what choices you've made; the easy one that doesn't require actual study and work to understand what epistemological vs ontological vs. metaphysical vs existential vs telelogical vs anything else actually is, or the hard one where you actually know what solipsism is, and what the differences between nihilism, solipsism, objectivism, or anything else is.

It's your choice.
Make it.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by omarm1984

Originally posted by nothingwrong

The trick to stopping any negative reaction is recognizing the starting point. As you witness something that goes against your values, become aware of that sensation that arises from within you, for example, "I'm starting to sense a feeling of annoyance". Making yourself aware of the feeling before it grows is the key to stopping it.
Its easier to stop a skate than a semi truck.

I'm actually impressed about one of the links for the free college courses. I did not know such website existed and I just downloaded some computer science courses. LOL.

So is there anybody out there that actually reflected on the questions and got something out of it?

Thank you :O)

In my time zone it is 01:12AM and I should be going to bed, but my insomnia is playing tricks with me again. I will try a circular meditation on one of your questions. This is where I start with a question and allow my thoughts to wonder just a bit, and then come back to the question as soon as I catch myself wondering. I'll try not to actually answer the question ;O) I'll let you know how I get on.

I'll also take this opportunity to apologise to college kid. I believe we are all one, and what we do to each other we do to ourselves. By attacking you I injured myself. So I apologise to both of us.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by omarm1984
Here I will share some pquestions that I reflect on when the wheels of my mind start spinning too fast or simply when I'd like to feel more awakened. Some of these questions work more powerfully than others at certain times, but at other times they are not as powerful, so i pick one of the other ones. I also think some work better for some people than for others, it depends on how alert you are to the message that the questions is pointing to.

I'd also like to hear any other questions you guys may have, or if you find one here more helpful than the rest. Hopefully we can use this thread as a means to develop a question that can help all those who are ready to wake up.

For each of these spend a few moments reflecting on them. Don't answer them and dont analyze them, just reflect on them.
Here they are:

What does this moment lack?

Look out your window at the whole scene, the sky, the sun, clouds, ground, buildings, seas. How significant are you in relation to everything you see?

In comparison to everything that exists, the Universe, how important are your thoughts and your judgements?

Look at any person. Can you physically see their thoughts?

Put yourself in an imaginary person's shoes. Can another person see your thoughts?

If you did not exist anymore, what would happen to all that exists? Would the Universe stop existing?

What will be your next thought?

so...you WRITE this thread, and you expect no WRITTEN feedback? these are juvenile philosophy 1A questions and are meaningless. vague and simple does not make one a philosopher. maybe after 5 or 6 decades of living life, more thoughtful contemplations will take place.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join