It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions that stop the mind

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Here I will share some pquestions that I reflect on when the wheels of my mind start spinning too fast or simply when I'd like to feel more awakened. Some of these questions work more powerfully than others at certain times, but at other times they are not as powerful, so i pick one of the other ones. I also think some work better for some people than for others, it depends on how alert you are to the message that the questions is pointing to.

I'd also like to hear any other questions you guys may have, or if you find one here more helpful than the rest. Hopefully we can use this thread as a means to develop a question that can help all those who are ready to wake up.

For each of these spend a few moments reflecting on them. Don't answer them and dont analyze them, just reflect on them.
Here they are:

What does this moment lack?

Look out your window at the whole scene, the sky, the sun, clouds, ground, buildings, seas. How significant are you in relation to everything you see?

In comparison to everything that exists, the Universe, how important are your thoughts and your judgements?

Look at any person. Can you physically see their thoughts?

Put yourself in an imaginary person's shoes. Can another person see your thoughts?

If you did not exist anymore, what would happen to all that exists? Would the Universe stop existing?

What will be your next thought?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by omarm1984

You can follow most of freshman year University level Philosophy 101 in the link, as well as some other sites by searching "Philosophy 101", or 102 for sophomore level, etc.

You can, as well, register at your local Junior college for introductory Philosophy, or even a full course University.
If that's too big for your plate, you can do some reading. The first link I gave provides lectures, reading material, and a host of resources all linked and clickable.

I think you'll find a majority of your questions answered in a first-year freshman level Philosophy course.

Here are some more links:
Introduction to Philosophy: Dr. Brown's online courses

530 Free online courses from top Universities

60+ Free Philosophy courses online (same as above link but just Philosophy)

You should probably be able to figure it out from there if you're self sufficient and capable of doing things on your own.

edit on 22-9-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by omarm1984
Here I will share some pquestions that I reflect on when the wheels of my mind start spinning too fast or simply when I'd like to feel more awakened. Some of these questions work more powerfully than others at certain times, but at other times they are not as powerful, so i pick one of the other ones. I also think some work better for some people than for others, it depends on how alert you are to the message that the questions is pointing to.

I'd also like to hear any other questions you guys may have, or if you find one here more helpful than the rest. Hopefully we can use this thread as a means to develop a question that can help all those who are ready to wake up.

For each of these spend a few moments reflecting on them. Don't answer them and dont analyze them, just reflect on them.
Here they are:

Look out your window at the whole scene, the sky, the sun, clouds, ground, buildings, seas. How significant are you in relation to everything you see?

In comparison to everything that exists, the Universe, how important are your thoughts and your judgements?

Put yourself in an imaginary person's shoes. Can another person see your thoughts?

If you did not exist anymore, what would happen to all that exists? Would the Universe stop existing?

1. Money, beer and a babysitter
2. I'm not
3. Nope, I'm not psychic
4. Nope, I hope not anyway, they might lock me away in the loony bin if they could.
5. Every thing would be exactly the same minus one Billy
6. I hope my kid goes to bed and gets off of the freaking TV soon so I can play Skyrim.

edit on 22-9-2012 by billy197300 because: add

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
As small as I can be compared to the vast Universe, It is impossible for me to say that i am nothing of great importance. Because I can do what the stars, the planets, the seas, and the mountains can not. Through consciousness I am aware of them, and they are not aware of me nor their own existence.

This consciousness may only last for a moment.

When I die, it might be gone forever and I shall return to the state of non-consciousness I was in before my birth.

But for a moment, I will have been greater than any star, planet, sea or mountain in the Universe.

edit on 22-9-2012 by Ghezuz because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-9-2012 by Ghezuz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by omarm1984

Here they are:

These are good questions.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
reply to post by omarm1984

You can follow most of freshman year University level Philosophy 101 in the link, as well as some other sites by searching "Philosophy 101", or 102 for sophomore level, etc.

You can, as well, register at your local Junior college for introductory Philosophy, or even a full course University.
If that's too big for your plate, you can do some reading. The first link I gave provides lectures, reading material, and a host of resources all linked and clickable.

I think you'll find a majority of your questions answered in a first-year freshman level Philosophy course.

I don't remember the OP asking for educational advice....

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by RobertF
I don't remember the OP asking for educational advice....

Where the OP, and anyone else that asks these same questions, lack of education on the topic is obvious.

This statement is not a derogatory, nor an insult, but, a simple observation where my previous post offers resources whereby the OP questions can and will be answered.

The questions aren't new. It's simple, basic, freshmen level Philosophy.
It's almost like a child asking where babies come from, except, in this case, the questions and anwers are a little more esoteric where anyone asking them would profit better from taking a university course on the topic where the questions are already covered than debating about it online with others of equal ignorance to their own.

Take the fish or learn how to fish. It's your choice.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
The OP did not ask for answers.

""debating about it online with others of equal ignorance to their own""

You are only insulting yourself here.
edit on 23-9-2012 by Ghezuz because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Whether you mean it or not, comparing someone wanting to discuss some philosophy online to a child asking where babies come from is obnoxious and condescending.

You can take all the philosophy courses you'd like, but philosophy text books don't provide you with real answers...that's where discussion is useful.

And we can't all afford to sign up for college courses just to ponder a few of life's mysteries
edit on 22-9-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghezuz

I tell you where you can dig up gold and diamonds, yet you curse me for not doing it for you.
Right.

Enjoy all that.

Originally posted by Hawking

And we can't all afford to sign up for college courses just to ponder a few of life's mysteries
edit on 22-9-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

I think you missed the part where the links and resources I provided are FREE.

One of the questions asked by OP deals with Solipsism; very basic first year level Philosophy.

Solipsism as an epistemological position holds that knowledge of anything outside one's own mind is unsure. The external world and other minds cannot be known, and might not exist outside the mind. As a metaphysical position, solipsism goes further to the conclusion that the world and other minds do not exist. As such it is the only epistemological position that, by its own postulate, is both irrefutable and yet indefensible in the same manner. Although the number of individuals sincerely espousing solipsism has been small, it is not uncommon for one philosopher to accuse another's arguments of entailing solipsism as an unwanted consequence, in a kind of reductio ad absurdum. In the history of philosophy, solipsism has served as a skeptical hypothesis.

There you go. Do you know what an "epistemological position" is? It's part of basic entry level Philosophy.

Don't hate the messenger because I tell you it's extremely basic fare. If you want to know it, then, take the wealth of links and FREE learning. Enjoy. Learn.

You can always waste your time bickering about the color of my cloak if you like, but, you may profit better by pursuing the links I've provided.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

These questions are not meant for an egotistical answer, as in wrapping logic around the essence of just "being." You can't, you release any attachment to what you think the answer is and you just know intuitively, surpassing impulsive conscious thought and diving deep into the oceans of the subconscious mind.

Our mundane and philisophical views projected into the educational system are miniscule in comparison to a universal/cosmic level.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Look at how all your posts have been edited; why can't you intuitively get your thoughts across without your ego diminishing it?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghezuz

I like the way you think.

A bit naive perhaps yet admirable.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by sgspecial19

Look at how all your posts have been edited; why can't you intuitively get your thoughts across without your ego diminishing it?

Yes, instead of posting TWO posts in a row, I've learned the economy of using the EDIT function to fix spelling, add resources, links, ex-text, and other such to refine my argument.

Why can't you accept the resources I've provided for self education instead of being mealy mouthed about it?

I'm vilified because in response to some very basic questions I say the answers are just over there, laying around on the ground out in the open for anyone to pick them up off the ground, easy as pie and because the audience knew nothing about this, and is seemingly ignorant pitchfork and torch bearing peasant folk ... oh, yeah, that's why.

Good luck with the pitch forks and torches.
I leave the links to resources for self education.
Use them or not.
Build scarecrows with my face on them to burn in effigy, and tell scary bed time stories to your grandchildren about the evil horrible Druscilla that once came through town riding a flaming black ego shaped like the devil.
By all means, vilify me all you want.
By all means make all the noise you want about my horrible awful manners, the total affront to your social dignity and over sensitive sensitivities about self ignorance and lack of education.
By all means vilify me.

Don't join the Army. They might make fun of you and call you names in boot camp.
Don't do anything in the real world where people might actually criticize you, no.

... and most importantly, by all means, don't take advantage of the resources I've provided.
nope.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Why label it an "argument?" nobody is arguing here, and you already gave into your ego by becoming attached to your thoughts in a way to appeal to a community (in this thread) whom aren't interested in arguing about petty philosophy.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

swish swish

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
No philosophy can tell you what this moment lack, or what will be your next thought. Or WHO is thinking these philosophic concepts. Just like asking what the taste of water is, and you answer with a chemical formula. Learned concepts about something is not the same as the thing itself.

Those are questions to be asked within, to be felt and experienced personally. You must taste the water yourself, not copy/paste someone else' experience, if you want to know the truth.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Next time you witness someone getting slapped, you might experience the tingling of enlightenment.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by billy197300

Does anyone on here know what a koan is?
Has anyone read the OP?
Did you really hear the sound swish, swish when you clapped one hand?
The imagination lies by the way!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join