It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People Power in Benghazi

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Total propaganda. Was watching CNN when this news broke, and they immediately cut to a live interview with John McCain who conveniently stated that the Senate was just a few hours from voting on a Rand Paul bill to end foreign aid to Libya. Then he went on a tirade chastising the "non-interventionists" like Rand Paul and Dwight Eisenhauer. I swear the media has gotten so lazy with its propaganda it's almost laughable.

Here's a link to the transcript, scroll down a little less than halfway. Here's the highlight.

SEN. JOHN MCCAIN, R-ARIZONA: Somewhere, Chris Stevens is smiling. This is what we knew -- what Chris Stevens and I and others knew about Libya. Chris Stevens and I were in Tripoli as I'm sure your correspondent was on the night of July 7th after they had voted in overwhelming numbers to reject Islamists.

Thousands were in the downtown and Chris and I were down there. And as they drove by by the thousands said thank you especially to Chris Stevens, thank you, America. Thank you. And they obviously overwhelmingly wanted to reject this radical Islam, which has committed such a horrible crime. And I'm very happy about it.

Could I just mention one thing? It's interesting it comes when a few hours from now, we're going to have a vote on a Senator Rand Paul amendment to cut off all aid and assistance to Libya. This shows how ill-founded and frankly bad idea that Senator Paul and the isolationists have.

Somewhere, Edward Bernays is smiling.
edit on 24-9-2012 by DirtyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

True - not usually But this civil war happened for more than one reason - and the opportunists don't run the show - yet If the people of Libya are going to make their stand - they have to make it now My money is on them

I am not a betting person. But whatever the reasons that brought it all to this stage,
its all done and gone now. Things could of gone in any number of ways. But you know!... could of--->should of--->didn't. I believe the Lydian people are smart enough to know whats up, and what to do, and in most cases it just seems to be making the best with the situations you are given.

There will always be opportunists, that's a given in anything especially in world politics and economics but I think it will be better over all and for everybody involved if they started running there own show, not only would it benefit them more, but we would not be so heavily invested in things there and could invest in other things...In what? gee! I don't know, but how about in things going on at home.

And the opportunists, well they will have less opportunities overall, and most importantly, we could probably even get at some important problems instead of the drama that is sticking our noses in places were we really do not even care about...I mean sh*t how many US citizens do you think even know were Libya is? Oh I am sure they know why were there, after all its all over the pictotubes, but if you asked them to point to it on map. How do you think that would go for a great percentage of them.

I do believe its called something along the lines of managing the peoples popular opinions. You would not believe how many wars were started with nothing more then that.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DirtyD

That's the first I've heard from any other news source, but frankly, I don't trust Senator McCain anymore than I trust Rand Paul.

I support and respect Ron Paul, but...

Rand Paul has been quite the opportunist since he got into politics, and I wouldn't believe any thing he said or did. I think he's been bought out, as the vast majority of members of the US congress/senate have.

And although the Guardian is far from infallible, I trust them way more than CNN.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Its not that its hard to believe the story. I just dont see why this is worthy of praise. They run them off by doing the exact same thing that 30 other countries are doing at the moment but the other 29 countries are burning the flag and chanting death to america. It is easy to denounce people after the fact. The true test is the people who are willing to drive them out BEFORE they commit their evil acts. Look at WW2 as soon as Hitler killed himself there wasnt a Nazi in Germany. Everyone "became"(ie took off their uniforms and tried to blend in with the masses of starving people) poor conscripts overnight, who were forced to fight or be shot and completely denounced Nazi's and their ideology. Sure there was a few staunch crazies who got hung at Nuremberg but 99% of the people who allowed the Nazi's to come to power and commit their evil acts of violence faced no punishment besides what the war had already put on them. I dont know how I feel about this all really, it just struck a similar chord with me.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Maybe Americans can learn something from this story, propaganda or not, and storm Capitol Hill and throw out our corrupt, power hungry, insider trading, filthy rich "Representatives" out into the street!
edit on 24-9-2012 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Here is yet another article from the German Newspaper Der Spiegel:

"Benghazi's people have eard our admiration"

Libya has cracked down on its powerful militias following a mass protest against the armed group believed to be behind the deadly attack on the US mission in Benghazi earlier this month. German commentators on Monday praise the development, but question what it will mean for the country's future.

It gives excerpts from several German papers concerning this event. Has anyone seen any news articles about this from the US? If you have, please post.

Thanks to everyone for your stars, flags, and mostly intelligent and well-thought out comments!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by antoinemarionette
So if we assume that the all2human is referring to this article from the British newspaper The Guardian as "biased or misleading in nature", I would have to assume that someone in the British power structure must be profiting from such information. Who do you think would profit from such information in the British government? No one I would think.

Otherwise, calling it propaganda makes no sense. None whatsoever.

Are you for real- the same British power elite/govt who removed the previous regime would not have a vested interested in trying to ensure the new regime is seen as an altogether more pleasant offering?!?

You cannot connect those dots, and mock others...................

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by antoinemarionette

I don't trust McCain or Rand Paul, but my point is that Rand was trying to pass a bill in the Senate to end foreign aid to Libya, then lo-and-behold, the Libyans rise up to protest the Islamist militias. How very convenient. And it was literally, "this just in", brief word from Arwa Damon in Libya, then to McCain on the footsteps of capital hill. Such blatant propaganda. I don't for one second believe this was a spontaneous, uncoordinated show of support for the U.S. The Islamist militias are the ones who deposed Gaddafi, and now they're running the country.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Sometimes a spade, is just a spade.

I sense a follow-up of the Arab Spring. The ones that stuck-out their necks, have ended empty-handed, after the extemists, like kuckoos, kicked-out the real young of the revolutionary nest.

Interesting times.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

I believe the Lydian people are smart enough to know whats up, and what to do, and in most cases it just seems to be making the best with the situations you are given.

People will survive as best they can a situation they have no hope of changing. Except this time they finally achieved what they wanted - they can't afford to just make the best of things right now - they have to hold on to what they've won

And the opportunists, well they will have less opportunities overall...

And these opportunists in this situation - who and what are they? Do you believe they're just going to fade away?

...and most importantly, we could probably even get at some important problems instead of the drama that is sticking our noses in places were we really do not even care about...I mean sh*t how many US citizens do you think even know were Libya is? Oh I am sure they know why were there, after all its all over the pictotubes, but if you asked them to point to it on map. How do you think that would go

Maybe you're right - maybe we should only care about and help people in the places we know

Like France. Or Cancun

:-)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DirtyD

I understand your point, and perhaps under different circumstances I might even agree, but this time I simply feel that things are as they appeared.

One of the reasons I am sure this is true, is the very slim pickins in US media coverage of this event.

For me, that is a sure sign that none of the leadership in the United States really endorsed this event.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join