It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS, you know as much about UFO/Aliens as you did in 1999 (No progress)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

throughout all of recorded history, djinns, spirits, demons, gods... Beings not only superior or more powerful than us - but who have motives to interact with us. They almost always tend to offer us both power and doom - all wrapped up in the same myths.

Mental illness was not understood at all 200 years ago.
I can see why history in full of weird and wonderful stories/myths

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
"I saw two shooting stars last night
I wished on them but they were only satellites
Is it wrong to wish on space hardware
I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care"

Billy Bragg

Care about our fellow humans. The rest is bunk.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Not exactly true, some new information has appeared around some cases, some declassified UFo files by GB and such, new information but still nothing. There is no such thing as 'closer to the truth' - either ypu learn it once or it remains a mystery.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I think some of you took what the OP was saying too literal and missed his general point. We certainly have more data, but do we have more knowledge? No. We keep arguing about and coming up with theories, and that's all we do. And that's since forever, not just 1999.

It's true we have civilian UFO groups and organizations who sometimes perform good investigations but those only end up yielding more data, and sometimes even more questions, but no answers. Not even glimpses of answers.

I'm not arguing we should give up, no. I think it's important we keep investigating the phenomenon, but if we are being frank about what we know, right now, then we have to admit we know practically nothing and that we haven't acquired new knowledge in many many decades.

I don't know what governments know, but I suspect it's a lot less than what popular culture would have us believe. In that sense I think everyone who is serious about UFOs should forget about any notions of disclosure; it's an unrealistic expectation and doesn't help us moving forward, on the contrary, as it only helps to distract us from what could be more productive work and mindsets.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Mental illness certainly plays into it - but so does a bigger factor. We, as a species, tend to need some sort of connection to something higher. It's like part of consciousness is a need to validate an even higher form of consciousness and to believe in its existence. Most say this is due to fear of mortality - and I agree to a large extent - but also add the caveat that we want to believe in higher forms because we, ourselves, long to grow as individuals and as a species into a higher form ourselves.

If ET landed tomorrow and told us all about how magnificent life can be - given time - it would give us that hope... that WE possess the potential to achieve something more and to become something more.

Every generation ( or culture maybe ) has manifestations of these sorts of expressions. Currently ours is hoping that Grays show up and tell us how to cure cancer and fix pollution and hunger.

I say why wait for ET? Let's get up off our butts, create a culture where we foster creativity and genius... and do it ourselves. That way if ET ever does show to the party, he'll be impressed instead of pitying.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
With a subject this large being covered up one day it will eventually be uncovered publicly. I don't know when, but I do know we're thirteen years closer than we were in 1999.

Why bring up the year 1999 anyway? What significance does it have to the OP? Is it the year this forum started? Big whoop.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Took me only six years to find the Tesla UFO connection and I'm sticking with it.

There is a difficulty in the net and real life contacts for the source base for the subject at hand.
All I got asking someone years back was anti gravity.
That does not explain anything due to Sir I. Newton saying he didn't know what gravity was.
Force in the universe was found years ago and announced by Tesla 1940.

Events forward look convincing and a tracking back has been done by Lyne as much of
the theory has been vaulted because only one person found the electric force connection.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I am not sure of the significance of 1999 in the thread. But what do we really know now that we didn't over a decade ago?

There is certainly more data available and a few tantalising documents that prove that the UFO topic was once high on the agenda of the military in the early days of the cold war. There are also documents from governments that seem to indicate that there is no longer much interest and that most public sightings are simply mis-identification and are insignificant. The age of portable video technology has failed to solve the problem. There are "lights in the sky" videos that come out every day. But there is very little out there that is even as good as the old pictures from the days of the Cold War. Anything that looks too good is almost certainly CGI.

As regards aliens themselves. We do now know that there are planets light years away that could potentially harbour life. But we still don't know if that meteorite from Mars really did show signs of primitive life. Maybe NASA will find something shortly on the red planet?

There aren't many stories of aliens landing or meeting with people these days (despite the camera/smart phone being almost ubiquitous in Western culture - too much of a coincidence maybe?) . The humanoids packed up and left us alone sometime in the 1970s whilst the little grey guys made a comeback. But even the abduction stories seem to be dwindling away as putting a webcam on yourself while you sleep is surely one way to catch the aliens in the act? How many bother to do that though?

So I think we can say that since 1999 we are certainly not being visited frequently by aliens as some may have been led to believe. It is pretty obvious that some of the stories of the past were simply natural events, or man made ones but there was a lack of video and other technological evidence to prove this. Some people obviously enjoyed attention and fabricated,or at best exaggerated stories. Others probably saw something that was beyond their understanding, so it remains a UFO to them, but was not an alien craft.

There are of course a number of great stories with convincing witness testimony, photographs/video and even physical evidence from the last 100 years. However they are few and far between.

I think we can conclude that if ET has been exploring Earth then the visits are fairly rare or he is much better at hiding himself than he was in 20th century!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Expecting progress in a conservative right wing forum is like expecting snow flurries in hell.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mirageman
I think we can conclude that if ET has been exploring Earth then the visits are fairly rare or he is much better at hiding himself than he was in 20th century!

I think I'd agree with your entire post.

Another point about "government agencies hiding UFO info"...

Firstly, I think the USAF was probably correct to disband Bluebook in the 1970s, not because of a "lack of evidence", but because it was probably a waste of USAF resources. It doesn't appear that the recording and investigation of public UFO sightings was going to lead to any useful knowledge. Bluebook was mostly a PR effort. I would hope that the USAF did continue some type of secret study of the phenomena. They are in a difficult spot. They don't want to acknowledge that it is possible that a technologically superior civilization is able to violate US air space and there is nothing they can do to stop them if they did. That might actually undermine the confidence of USAF pilots when they go out to investigate unknowns intruding into US air space.

But you would think it is also important to investigate all possible "threats" to their security. The US government also has a responsibility to investigate all possible ways of obtaining fundamental breakthroughs in technology or avenues to increase our understanding of the universe. So it should be investigating the possibility it might be able to establish friendly contact with advanced civilizations who are possibly engaged in missions to monitor our planetary civilization.

And although it does seem like collectively, those outside government who study UFOs and try to understand what is behind the phenomena are maybe making minimal progress, I don't think that is a valid reason to simply throw up your hands and "give up". Perhaps all that is accomplished is that we are talking about the concept of future contact with another planetary civilization, and maybe that is all that is needed to inch our way in that direction and ultimate experience.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I couldn't agree more with the OP.

It still interests me though.

Heff you could be right.

If anything we have come closer to understanding the conditions for life as we know it aren't all that uncommon as once thought.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join