FBI renews broad Internet surveillance push

page: 1
11
<<   2 >>

log in

join

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

FBI renews broad Internet surveillance push


news.cnet.com

In May, CNET disclosed that the FBI is asking Internet companies not to oppose a proposed law that would require firms, including Microsoft, Facebook, Yahoo, and Google, to build in back doors for government surveillance. The bureau's draft proposal would require that social-networking Web sites and providers of VoIP, instant messaging, and Web e-mail alter their code to ensure their products are wiretap-friendly.

(visit the link for the full news article)


Related News Links:
ww w.techinvestornews.com




posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
According to this article what the FBI is trying to do is push a new bill that would require companies including Microsoft, Facebook, Yahoo, and Google, to have back doors for government surveillance

The question is do you think they should be allowed to do this? Even better who will stop them if they really want too?

news.cnet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 22-9-2012 by ninjas4321 because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Fine with me, as long as Google builds a back door to the back door in the programming so they can keep track of abuse in the system.

Bill Gates is probably sitting at a supercomputer right now spying on government agents using Microsoft. It's an interesting question, is computing supremacy in the private or public sector?


Seriously, though, giving FBI blanket access is obviously an issue.



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ninjas4321
 


"FBI renews broad Internet surveillance push"?

This really is who we are:


But now you can't even really hide in the corner of your own flat.



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
If every computer has a back door how are we supposed to keep the hackers out?



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ninjas4321
 


I always kinda thought they had access to way better technology than the public has. Why the need for their own back door? Perhaps Gary McKinnon could help them a bit?



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Dirty, Nuclear, Fissionable, Material, Islam, Jihad, Allah, Terror, Bomb, Martyr, Airline, Train, Bus, Iran, Israel, pie.

Did i miss anything? am i on a list yet?

I say we spam every where with their key words, keep their supercomputers working on sifting through all the rubbish. MIght as well get our tax moneys worth.



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Dirty, Nuclear, Fissionable, Material, Islam, Jihad, Allah, Terror, Bomb, Martyr, Airline, Train, Bus, Iran, Israel, pie.

Did i miss anything? am i on a list yet?

I say we spam every where with their key words, keep their supercomputers working on sifting through all the rubbish. MIght as well get our tax moneys worth.


Benrl we need more people who think like you



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I'm not sure what the problem is with this.

The way I look at is I'm not of any interest whatsoever to any government or law agency anywhere so why would anyone be interested in looking into what I do. I'm essentially just a number, an IP address, a google login, a facebook profile or an ATS login.

No one of importance or interest to anyone.

If I was up to something I may be worried but as I'm a boring nothing man just minding his own business and reading about the loch ness monster and the t20 world cup no one from anywhere is ever going to care (I do realise how cliched that sounds).

The only reason the FBI would want this is to track and search for wanted or suspected criminals, It would seem logical they'd need some sort of backdoor entry so not to alert every man and his dog of their presence.



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bates
 


So you assume, citizen.

Perhaps we could interest you in becoming an informant on all of your on-line acquaintances. See something, say something. We really need more diligent citizens like you. It's good that you put your trust in the government. We're here to help.



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LeSigh
 


All I'm saying is I don't really care who's watching me, I don't get why it would scare anyone unless they reall were up to something.

Tonight I've spent most of my night moaning about the ineopt performance of my football (soccer team), read up as much as I xould on that meteorite or whatever it was that flew over britain last night and read the local newspaper on line before having a quick peep on this place.

If agent Bob Weasel has spent his saturday monitoring that decided to pop in a log then fair play.



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by bates
I'm not sure what the problem is with this.

The way I look at is I'm not of any interest whatsoever to any government or law agency anywhere so why would anyone be interested in looking into what I do. I'm essentially just a number, an IP address, a google login, a facebook profile or an ATS login.

No one of importance or interest to anyone.

If I was up to something I may be worried but as I'm a boring nothing man just minding his own business and reading about the loch ness monster and the t20 world cup no one from anywhere is ever going to care (I do realise how cliched that sounds).

The only reason the FBI would want this is to track and search for wanted or suspected criminals, It would seem logical they'd need some sort of backdoor entry so not to alert every man and his dog of their presence.



Suppose I was routing my activity through your computer? It would be your IP number I'd be using, it would be you they come to take away!



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk
 


I agree, if they had their own back door, it wouldn't be long before someone else figured out how to get in as well.



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk
 


Assuming the right back doors were in place the FBI or whoever would have been able to clearly see it was not me doing anything illegal and they'd be able to put a stop to the swine who was exploiting my lax computer security (they could possibly offer me tips on how to keep the online crooks out of my cyber home).

I'd thank them for stopping my e-exploitation and they'd let me go on my merry way.



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
I say we spam every where with their key words, keep their supercomputers working on sifting through all the rubbish. MIght as well get our tax moneys worth.


just a random theory, perhaps this occurs purposefully to mask major plots or to test the waters so to speak before and after they happen so that anyone actually trying to sift through the data received from surveillance has a long job ahead of them, by the time they could actually get something done it's too late.

I'm not saying threads here directly, not all the time but certainly once in awhile a thread could be created to spawn the major words as bait to draw a lot of the surveillance away from the source.

..
ATS.. lol



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by bates
reply to post by VoidHawk
 


Assuming the right back doors were in place the FBI or whoever would have been able to clearly see it was not me doing anything illegal and they'd be able to put a stop to the swine who was exploiting my lax computer security (they could possibly offer me tips on how to keep the online crooks out of my cyber home).

I'd thank them for stopping my e-exploitation and they'd let me go on my merry way.


Would they replace the money missing from your bank account? Would they give you a new identity because a hacker would now be using your original? You'd have to chaange all your passwords too. And for many months/years you'd be waiting for repercusions of the hack that took place because of a back door that was supposed to protect you.



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk
 


It's a piece of piss for criminals to hack into any normal person computer anyway, these backdoors will make it possible for the police/FBI to fight back against the undesirables on behalf of us law abiding members of society.

I think you're just looking for any sort of reason to be against this sort of thing by claiming the crims would be able to waltz through onto anyones computer via these backdoors.

It would be rather brazen, and unnecessary, for the criminal element to decide to use the government/authoritative way of having a snoop around your computer or social media accounts.

There must 100 easier ways of doing it than that.



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by bates
reply to post by VoidHawk
 


It's a piece of piss for criminals to hack into any normal person computer anyway, these backdoors will make it possible for the police/FBI to fight back against the undesirables on behalf of us law abiding members of society.

I think you're just looking for any sort of reason to be against this sort of thing by claiming the crims would be able to waltz through onto anyones computer via these backdoors.

It would be rather brazen, and unnecessary, for the criminal element to decide to use the government/authoritative way of having a snoop around your computer or social media accounts.

There must 100 easier ways of doing it than that.


It dont get much easier than a purpose built back door.
But we all have our own opinion, you like the idea, millions of us dont.



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk
 


Would you rather go through a purpose built back door with 5 guards with sub machine guns, a 10 ft thick steel door, robots with lazer guns and genetically modified dinosaurs bread to kill as they smell the flesh those that aren't welcome.

Or

Smash you're way through the side wall that is made of crumbly old brick 5 inches thick and where there is only an old guard with a torch on some string who is twirling his keys around and thinking of the day he can retire?

There is a chance you could battle your way through the back door, but in all likelyhood you won't even look at it and you'll just smash your way in through the poorly defended wall that has been there all along.

Just because someone builds a back door it doesn't mean it's going to be more attractive to try and break in that way.



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bates
 


dont you realise that total servaylence costs you your free speach,
it starts out about terrorists and ends up being anyone who protests government

you are why freedom dies

xploder



new topics
top topics
 
11
<<   2 >>

log in

join