It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim Cleric Shows Respect for Religion by Burning Christian Bible

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Notice how apologists continually refer to the past and never focus on the present.

The key difference between a Muslim cleric burning a Bible and a Priest burning a Koran is the reaction of the adherents of each religious tradition. One has evolved with the times in terms of its punishment for perceived blasphemy, the other has not.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The same hypocrisy can go both ways though, right?

Americans claim that it is freedom of opinion and free speech to create a video mocking their prophet, but a guy burning a Bible is now NOT freedom of speech and opinion?

You can't have it both ways as you see fit. Either it is perfectly fine for a Human to insult another persons religion, or it's not. You can't have one rule for Islam and another for Christianity. You can't demand that Americans can preach about whatever they like and insult whoever they like, while complaining that someone in another country is doing the same to your religion.

These are all individuals expressing their own opinions. We know that the Muslim video was not created by every American, and this has been pointed out numerous times. We know that of the millions of Muslims in each country, only a small minority have acted violently. We know that this is one man, in a group of millions of people.

So how can anyone claim that this is an entire group of people all burning a Bible?

The video was not created by America, it was created by an American (we assume). This Bible was not burned by Egypt, it was burned by one man.

And the fact that he did burn it is neither here nor there if you are a true defender of freedom. If people want to scream about him insulting Christianity, they need to get their head out of their backside.
edit on 23-9-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I wonder if there profit Mohamed(peace be upon him) would agree with this halfwits actions? Burning books! Its 2012, knowledge is power, even a bible, no wonder they are so backward looking. Wonder if they will ever learn? Not while they let there arcanic organised religion rule there minds!

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
And people wonder why people like me despise religion...

Its just a nightmare that people let control their lives while others defend it with some unsubstantiated moral BS.

A look at the world today SHOULD bring people to their senses..But it won't...

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
frontpagemag.com...

Sometimes frontpagemagazine doesn't get things right. But sometimes they do.
I'd need more sources before I could really comment.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Why do we always hear "Oh it is an extremist"....how many extremists are we dealing with. With the current population of Muslims around 1.6 billion, even with a small percentage we are dealing with tens of millions.

Time for the moderates to get to work so we don't have to.

(and funny thing how liberals / democrats are always defending their actions)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by neo96

I dunno....

Maybe Christians globally should go Ape*Snip and start attacking and rampaging mosques and embassies or worse....

meh....

I think people of real faith understand you can't put an infinite God in a box or ummm, book rather.

My 2 pennies.
edit on 22-9-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

Well, they might finally get some respect from the left, liberals, Democrats and the media. It seems to be the only thing they understand.

Originally posted by buster2010
Isn't this just another form of free speech?
So it's ok when it's done to Muslims but not ok when done to Christians.

I love when the hypocritical try to deflect by blaming the other side for the hypocrisy. You do remember you getting upset about a certain movie, right? You're the hypocrite here.

Why aren't you condemning this action like you did the movie or the old quran burning?
edit on 23-9-2012 by PvtHudson because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

I'm off to the stoning.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Burn as many bibles as he'd like, more power to him.

He is expressing himself, it is the right of every human.

Speech should never just be limited to what you believe is right.

I wish him the best of luck with that, as a christian this doesn't even offend me, strikes me more as a childish act (much like that movie was) and the action of one man does not encompass his entire religion.

Hell if he needed a bible to burn Id send him one, My God is not in a book, and hes powerful enough he doesn't need me to get his back for him for every little slight against him.

True and very well said.
Mirrors my sentiments fairly accurately.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

It's important to remember that it is only a small segment (out of the worldwide Muslim population) causing trouble. However, as you correctly suggested, the number is significant enough to warrant concern from the global community. (A conservative figure of 1% would be about 16 million Extremists, a liberal figure of 10% would be about 160 million Extremists.)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

"True and very well said."

How can you agree with burning knowledge, even if it is a bible. Its just not the done thing in modern society.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
What a pathetic attempt at showing the world that these muslims that went on a rampage over a lousy movie aren't alone in their idiocy - it failed - they are alone in their idiocy.

No religion / sect / group of people in the world, is going to coordinate violent mob rage events over an incitement, not to mention a picture or a movie.

That muslim cleric tried to prove a point, failed miserably and instead of showing that all religions would go on a rampage for this kind of thing, he only proved that only muslims still act like cavemen. Oh yeah, sorry.. "not all muslims".

edit on 23-9-2012 by IsraeliGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Freedom of expression.

I know a certain 7 billion people that won't pay this turd any attention. Because they are too busy expressing themselves. What makes the expression of this imam worth more than the other 7 billion expressions? Nothing. It's not.

It's weird though, for an imam(a job that involves reading the quran), to burn a bible as in the quran it says that it is good for muslims to read the bible.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

It has probably already been said in the replies, eight ways 'til Sunday. But my reaction to simply the OP is that it doesn't offend me if Muslims burn Bibles. Sure, reverse things and it causes riots and murders and chaos. But, as a culture, we can either be "in it" or "above it"... and I prefer living in Rome, so to speak, than to living beyond the walls.

We need to be the example or we are, in the end, no better than what we are offended by.

Besides, ours was a religion predicated upon love and forgiveness - not war. That's why we have the high moral ground here.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I have always maintained that religion is an outdated concept. More blood has flowed down the streets for religion than all the waters of the seven seas. Does God have a religion? No! Then why do we? This is just a means to wield power by self styled priests and clerics over us sheeple.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
they're not real muslim . most of them are Wahhabi and Salafi puppets of Zionists and US .

they're tryin to start a brand new crusade and also tryin' to deviate "Islamic Awekening" in Mid-east !

I myself as an Iranian shia youth tell u that we respect bible (despite of all its mutilations) . and we respect churches . and we don't recognize these so-called film makers as representative of US people .

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
reply to post by MidnightTide

It's important to remember that it is only a small segment (out of the worldwide Muslim population) causing trouble. However, as you correctly suggested, the number is significant enough to warrant concern from the global community. (A conservative figure of 1% would be about 16 million Extremists, a liberal figure of 10% would be about 160 million Extremists.)

It is a never-ending, on-going humming, mantra on ATS (and on the MSM) that we are dealing with a teeny tiny minority of fanatical Islamists...that the "vast majority" of Muslims are peace-loving, good folk who are not inclined to violence and mayhem.

The problem with this view is that this so-called minority within Islam are extremely active...and within the religion itself, extremely influential. These extremists take on leadership roles within the apparatus, take actions in the name of their twisted beliefs (even against other Muslims), and strongly influence the so-called majority.

Paul Merek, in an opinion piece called Why the Peaceful Majority is Irrelevant published in 2007, says it very well, i think:

I was one of those who just thought the Nazis were a bunch of fools. So, the majority just sat back and let it all happen. Then, before we knew it, they owned us, and we had lost control, and the end of the world had come.

Communist Russia was comprised of Russians who just wanted to live in peace, yet the Russian Communists were responsible for the murder of about 20 million people.

China’s huge population was peaceful as well, but Chinese Communists managed to kill a staggering 70 million people.

The average Japanese individual prior to World War II was not a war-mongering sadist. Yet, Japan murdered and slaughtered its way across Southeast Asia in an orgy of killing that included the systematic murder of 12 million Chinese civilians - most killed by sword, shovel and bayonet.

We are told again and again by experts and talking heads that Islam is the religion of peace, and that the vast majority of Muslims just want to live in peace. Although this unquantified assertion may be true, it is entirely irrelevant. It is meaningless fluff, meant to make us feel better, and meant to somehow diminish the specter of fanatics rampaging across the globe in the name of Islam.

The fact is that the fanatics rule Islam at this moment in history...It is the fanatics who systematically slaughter Christian or tribal groups throughout Africa and are gradually taking over the entire continent in an Islamic wave. It is the fanatics who bomb, behead, murder, or execute honor killings. It is the fanatics who take over mosque after mosque. It is the fanatics who zealously spread the stoning and hanging of rape victims and homosexuals. The hard, quantifiable fact is that the “peaceful majority” is the “silent majority,” and it is cowed and extraneous.

www.israelnationalnews.com...

It is the vocal minority that we need to be worried about...as the silent majority are swept along by the vocal minority's energy and fanaticism. All throughout history, noteworthy events have been conceived of, and executed by, individuals and groups who are clearly in the minority - but who are not afraid to "put people to the sword" if they stand in their way.

So the violent, heartless, ruthless "tiny minority" will often take over entire countries...or cultures. Never underestimate the power of a motivated minority...especially one that has deluded itself into thinking it is doing "God's work" (or Allah's, as the case many be).

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
reply to post by newcovenant

"True and very well said."

How can you agree with burning knowledge, even if it is a bible. Its just not the done thing in modern society.

I don't have to agree with it. Just because I don't agree with it doesn't mean it can't be done.
People need to pick their battles. I save my anger for places where it is more useful. It's a friggin book and we have others. Do you know how many ancient Mosques have been destroyed? Relics of history and archeological property of the world. Irreplaceable.

And btw OP...burning a Bible is not "showing respect for religion" in anyone's world.
It is showing disrespect. What do you want to do now? Kill the guy?
Laugh it off. That's what Americans do.
Conversely, asking some Muslims to "laugh it off" is like asking a reclusive African tribe to remove the bones from their noses and start wearing clothes.

My advice to "free speech advocates" still over there, including our own American soldiers - Leave those people alone. MYOB and come home where people are more like you. This way you don't have to hate them, for being like themselves.
edit on 23-9-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Besides, ours was a religion predicated upon love and forgiveness - not war. That's why we have the high moral ground here.

~Heff

And what higher ground would that be?

The fact that we wage war by saying we're doing it to keep the peace? How retarded is that?

I don't care how many wars were waged in the name of "our" religion ( I don't have one BTW ) or how that number stacks up against others, what I care about is people claiming that their way of life is based on certain religious principles that are predicated on love and peace......and then wage wars to defend it. It's stupid, we all know it, and I don't care WHAT religion it is.

More on topic though, I think the more attention we give to those "people" in the Middle East, the more they'll throw their tantrums. They're like, 5 years old and stomping their feet until they get their way. Walk right past them and ignore their tantrums and they'll finally get the picture that intelligent people DON'T CARE what they want because they're backward hicks who constantly do and say things to keep themselves distanced from the rest of humanity.

Call me Hitler but I don't think radical people on either side of ANY fence belong on the planet anymore. Have your beliefs, your ways of life, your region, your politics, your whatever that helps you sleep at night, but don't go around believing that you're better than other people because of what you believe or even want to kill people for that belief.

That train of thought deserves the death penalty IMO.

Go ahead, flame away and say that I'm radical and that I'm one of the people I say should be put to death. People who do that just don't get it. This isn't an ideology speaking. I have no strong political or religious beliefs because I think they're all juvenile. This is common sense that leads to the most amount of peace that this planet can hope for, but since the majority of people on this planet are either war-mongering apes or pacifists who meekly put up with all this nonsense, a lasting and global peace will probably never be realized, and it's sickening because of the reason why. It really is.

I swear to God ( or Buddha, Yahweh, Daffy Duck, Mohammed or that can of chicken soup over there) that the Georgia Guide Stones are looking better and better every year.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
They nailed Christ to the cross after torturing Him, killed hundreds of thousand of Christians over our faith and will kill probably millions when its all done
Who cares about a few pages of written words. This life has little value.
People with small minds worry over trivial things

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join