It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Republicans vote down veterans jobs bill

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

As a wife of a veteran, I am going to tell you what is going on, Obama defense budget bill just left in the last 4 months hundreds of thousand of already working veterans out of job and in limbo.

How do I know this, because my husband was one of the first wave of people that were left out when the cuts became in effect

Yes the cuts affected the contractors ability to employ US citizens, priority is given to veterans regardless, because private contractors like the fact that most veterans are already under government subsided health insurance or receiving benefits to complement salaries.

So do not let the propaganda win, the problem with this bill is that even if is passed, Is still not jobs to give away anyway, so is nothing but political crap as usual, if people were no so blind by party lines they will see what this bill is all about what a political game it is.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I haven’t read the entire bill yet but it seems to me if you have the independents and 5 republicans crossing lines then it isn’t just political bull. Republicans hardly ever cross lines.

Eight of the 12 provisions in the bill were Republican-generated ideas, according to Sen. Patty Murray, chairwoman of the Senate’s Veterans Affairs Committee. The bill included contributions from legislation Heller had introduced earlier, to protect the small-business interests of military families. Under the proposed bill, widowed or orphaned relatives of troops killed in action who are bequeathed their fallen relative's small business would be treated as veteran owners, and be given the same preference for government contracts as veteran-owned businesses.

Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky demanded the Senate attach language about cutting foreign aid to Pakistan
I would call that political BS.

We owe a debt of gratitude to these heroes and I am proud to support the Veterans Jobs Corps Bill.”
Sens. Heller and Scott Brown of Massachusetts were two of the five Republicans who elected to buck the party and add their support to the bill — which they emphasized by highlighting that legislative effort in statements directed toward the veteran community.

“Job creation is and continues to be my No. 1 priority — especially for our veterans,” Heller said in a statement released shortly after the vote. “After everything our veterans have done for us, the least we can do is make sure they are afforded every opportunity to thrive here at home

Source given in OP

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

That is the second part of the brain storm been concocted by the present administration, they want cheap labor, meaning allowing so call small business contractors to take the task that were only for the big players in the defense department, but what the deceiving government is not telling is that this small firms that advertised themselves as small, disadvantage, women or veterans are under budgeting the contracts and still leaving people out of work while they bring their own workers across the state lines to do the jobs, when my husband lost his job in his section it was about 60 workers all together mostly veterans, well the firm that took the contract under budget the contract, hired only two people to do the job of 4 to support 100 government workers now the company have no clue how they are going to suppor that many govenrment workers, as usual they chew more than they can swallow, still just because they are small they are not independant they still have to fall under the big three defense contractors.

We also found out that the company was also in bed with the present administration and that the main CEOs are both in the presidents election committee.

So much for bi partisan lines.

Everything the whores in our government do is for themselves and those that serve them well.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
While the Deomcrats and republicans fight- everyone else loses.

Its how it is in politics these days.

They forgot about us a long time ago. Yet people continue to fight for one side or the other when both of them have been screwing us for millenia.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
While the Deomcrats and republicans fight- everyone else loses.

Its how it is in politics these days.

They forgot about us a long time ago. Yet people continue to fight for one side or the other when both of them have been screwing us for millenia.

We are humans, we do not share the same set of beliefs -

We will lose if we stop fighting as well...

Imagine is the Far Left had it's way because the Right Stopped fighting?

Imagine if the Far Right had its way because the left stopped fighting?

You would be in a worse pile of crappola because one perspective would advise all rules

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by campanionator

My point is that there are more than two sets of beliefs.

In this world- The Democrats or the Republicans will always have their way sooner or later.

Us stuck in the middle end up getting nothing, and neither do the sheep who kept the whole charade continuing the entire time.

While they break the law at the highest of levels- there are people there cheering them on like a bunch of fools.
We all lose.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Whether or not you believe this is just some of the same BS Washington has been doing or not I can guarantee after the elections they will come back and pass this bill in one form or another those that voted against it this time around are feeding an agenda and nothing more.

Much of the senate was ready to stay and hammer this bill out but those who voted it down insisted on breaking until after the election. I have started threads before on here about how congress and the senate both take more breaks than a part time school teacher and it is always at the taxpayers’ expense. These are our employees they live off the government teat and they get away with it time after time. This is nothing but bipartisanship and politics at our expense.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
What? Republicans vote for a meaningful bill that would help people? One sponsored by the Obama administration? FAT CHANCE. The Republican Party has gone collectively insane. They would saw their own extremities off rather than do something meaningful for the country.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
it's amazing how they can't get their crap together in something like this, but well, when it comes to giving our money away in the form of foreign aide or wasting money on technology that seems to be aimed at defending the state against we the people, ie scanners in every airport, well, they seems to be able to unite just fine!!!

and oh yes, they are off and gone home now, again, can't think of one darned thing that they've done that was intended to actually help the american people, have they accomplished anything????

think I will have 50+ hours clocked in this payroll week because we can't our crap together at the shop and get the work out fast enough, and we are only dealing with stupid sports banners and pennants....these sare dealing with the downfall of our country!! If I am working over 50 hours, they should be at least working!!!

usually though, whenever a good bill does come up, by the time they are done with it, it has so much bad crap added to it that they are right to vote it down.....of course, that begs to question, just why in hades name they allow all the bad crap to be added in the first place. and why do bills that concern the veterns always seem to be magnets to all that bad crap, if it's not because it's politically motivated on both sides and they are just pushing the other side to vote it down, just so they can score points with the american people, then why are they doing it??

I do believe that while serving in the armed forces, a person's political voice is kind of stripped somewhat, isn't it????
well, if they don't have the right to speak out about the gov't policies, well, maybe the bills that pertain them should be free from the political game....and a law should be made that they can only be stand alone bills...
fair is fair now, isn't it???

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

The bill is nothing but a political propaganda to make veterans believe that the administration cares, but is crap, because the only way they can increased hiring is by stopping the already budget cuts done by the administration on the ability of contractors to hired.

In other words you can not hired if is not money to pay the employees.

Is nothing but lies and deception and people still fall for them, because they have no clue what is going on and how certain aspect of government decisions affect employment in the US.

Cuts to oversea spending like foreign aid has not been done it was excluded, that doesn't help veterans in the US.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
The core reason for which todays Republican are voting down everything that is GOOD for the average American citizen, our veterans, and for the sake of growing our economy, while supporting ALL that is BAD for the country, is for ONE REASON: they wish to spend not a DIME of money on ANYTHING that may be beneficial to the average Americans, our veterans, our economy, so that...

[color=gold]...the super-wealthy may CONTINUE with their little Bush TAX-BREAK holiday, PERIOD!!!!!

That is why todays republicans are doing EVERYTHING that is against this countries average citizen and our veterans. Their SOLE MISSION is to CUT and GUT everything beneficial to this country and economy so that the super-wealthy can continue their TAX HOLIDAY AT OUR EXPENSE. They are trying TOOTH AND NAIL to screw EVERYONE and screw the COUNTRY over to protect the wealthy from losing their tax holiday.

Todays republicans SOLE MISSION...

edit on 23-9-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I read the bill last night. First I will say I am sorry your husband is having a hard time however I have NEVER met a veteran that has wanted less benefits including myself. That being said after reading the bill it should have been passed. This bill would help returning soldiers and even retrain them in different fields. I cannot see any reason that it should not have been passed. It would have opened up and helped fund jobs for veterans. I will leave the link here and if you like we can debate later what you find wrong with it.

Regards Grim

Veterans Jobs Bill

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
It's AMAZING to me that the poll numbers are as good as they are for Republicans, considering their selfish actions! And of course, then they find a way to blame it on Obama!
That's some twisted stuff, there!

If the job numbers rise AT ALL, the GOP knows it will lose.
If all eligible voters vote, the GOP knows it will lose.
If the economy improves, the GOP knows it will lose.
If Obama has ANY success at all, the GOP knows it will lose.
If Romney releases his taxes, the GOP knows it will lose.
If Romney details his plans for hit presidency, the GOP knows it will lose.

So, of course, they're doing everything in their power to keep any of this from happening...

And voting this jobs bill down is just a precursor of what will happen to the poor and middle class if Romney gets in office.
edit on 9/23/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
It's AMAZING to me that the poll numbers are as good as they are for Republicans, considering their selfish actions! And of course, then they find a way to blame it on Obama!
That's some twisted stuff, there!

If the job numbers rise AT ALL, the GOP knows it will lose.
If all eligible voters vote, the GOP knows it will lose.
If the economy improves, the GOP knows it will lose.
If Obama has ANY success at all, the GOP knows it will lose.
If Romney releases his taxes, the GOP knows it will lose.
If Romney details his plans for hit presidency, the GOP knows it will lose.

So, of course, they're doing everything in their power to keep any of this from happening...

And voting this jobs bill down is just a precursor of what will happen to the poor and middle class if Romney gets in office.
edit on 9/23/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

Of course you could just replace GOP with the DNC and you'll get the same result.

The question I ask is when will a third party candidate really become viable? Or even better yet, have no parties involved whatsoever.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Sadly is misguiding people into believing that the government cares they don't give a crap if you are unemployed or not, vets will still no be able to find jobs regardless of bill passing or not.

I find very deceiving that the present administration can advocate for bills to supposedly help the vets but then comes around and cuts the same budget that keeps vets employed.

Is nothing but deceptions.

Then the blame each other for the own faults.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

The blame falls where it should. I had voted for some of these Republicans last election and if they had voted for the bill instead of against it I would have voted for them this time. They played politics on this for the soul purpose of making the other side look bad.
Your post is very emotional and if your husband is having a hard time that is understandable but this is the system we have and when you are not satisfied with what your representative is doing it is your right if not obligation to send them packing. I am still open to debating with you if you find something unsatisfactory in the bill. If that bill had passed I would have been eligible for job training in another field. I have a stake in this so I pay attention.

Best regards Grimm

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
doulble post
edit on 23-9-2012 by Grimpachi because: double post

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Job training is nothing but that, it doesn't guarantee that you will have a job after you training because the money is not there, but the government can spend a few millions still training.

You can have 22 years already trained in a field in specialized work, that comes handy when you finish your tour of duty a look for a career into the civilian area, then you get to spend years working as a civilian gaining experience and training.

So as you can see training means nothing, because is not about training but money to support employment.

That is what the bill is not giving and the congress whores are lying about it as usual, they can spend tax payer money training people but at the end is not employment because for one job is 100 or more highly experienced veterans that has been doing the job already for years, but they just got fired, because budget cuts.

That is the part the government is not telling.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Do you call a bill a veterans bill if it gives priority to a certain group of veterans?

From the Senate version I read yesterday, it gave priority to veterans who served actively on or after 9/11/2001.

shall give priority towards the employment of veterans who served on active duty in the Armed Forces on or after September 11, 2001.

thomas.loc.gov...:1:./temp/~c112BgSuUs:e901:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I didn't know that one, really interesting, so this only for those veterans that are to come back home to find themselves without jobs, but as usual give them a littler hope of some training and when the training is over is still not jobs.

So what is the real deal, firing veterans already with jobs so they government can have jobs for the ones specifically after 9/11?

The irony.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join