Out of shape for the Apocalypse ,A Paintball Experience

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Today I took my 11year old son to a paintball facility for the first time.

I'm a 47 year old male at 5'7" and 175 lbs.
My work is physical and demanding at times.

I thought I was in pretty good shape.

Not true.

Since I was new to this sport,I went small time and easy.
I chose not to go with the big urban combat zone where all these guys were decked out with the high tech stuff and clothes.

So,we chose the small arena with the blow up barricades.
My son and I are against a couple of 13 year olds.

I "killed" them over and over again,but I was exhausted and they finally took me down.
I know,unfair advantage for me being an adult and all,but there were other son/father or daughter teams out there,so I didn't feel so bad about it.

It was a totally fun experience and a small peek into what situations you could face .

Looking forward to the zombie Apocalypse they have planned for Halloween.
edit on 22-9-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
If a lord of the flies scenario would every happen,They would take me down.

pbasylum.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
atleast you will have your son to carry you on his back
hopefully zombies are slow or we are all in trouble

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I ran three blocks with my daughters about six months ago. Lord, I felt like I was dying. That was the day I decided I would never survive a SHTF situation and started getting back in shape. Have lost about 30 pounds since then, feel healthier, and in better shape. Still got more to go, but I am determined to get and stay in shape.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

It happens to the best of us, bro!

I’m 38 and I’m easily 40 lbs heavier than the day I was discharged from the suck (whoops…Marine Corps).

The less “mobile” you are the more defensive your strategy must be; lay in wait and ambush them!

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
i went paintballing once and got shot in the knee cap. i spent the rest of the day sitting down and reciting all the swearwords i know.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Dear kdog1982,

You made me smile and it only gets worse. Getting old is good and bad, the older we get the more comfortable we become with ourselves; but, our bodies betray us. LOL. At some point you just stop trying to be 20 and accept that you have aged. Enjoy aging.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Funny story along those same lines……

I went with a buddy of mine to a deer lease in Abilene, TX a few weeks ago. He wanted to check the feeders and kill some hogs so they couldn’t rob the feeders anymore. I had a few new rifles that I wanted to site in and he’s got over 100 acres, so we could shoot over 500 yards (can’t shoot that distance at any public range around here).

Long story short…..It was over 100 degrees, very deep sand, lot of gear (all conditions I’ve experienced before) and I thought my heart was going to explode!

There is something to be said about will power because my body certainly wasn’t cooperating that day.

(Edit to add) I thought about buying a doomsday ATV that day!
edit on 22-9-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kino321
i went paintballing once and got shot in the knee cap. i spent the rest of the day sitting down and reciting all the swearwords i know.

Yeah,I got hit in the knee also,better than getting hit by a bullet,but it still hurts.

But,it taught me and my son something.
Even though my tactical approach to it all,my aim was fair at best.
My sons aim was really good,but he was scared and hide without shooting.

It was a fun father son day,to say the least.

I was surprised about how much energy it took to just duck and dive and shoot.
edit on 22-9-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear kdog1982,

You made me smile and it only gets worse. Getting old is good and bad, the older we get the more comfortable we become with ourselves; but, our bodies betray us. LOL. At some point you just stop trying to be 20 and accept that you have aged. Enjoy aging.

Hey,Aquestion,it's been awhile.

Goes now that he has started learning about football and playing,that I should do some conditioning myself.
And definitely go back to the paintball asylum for some more experience.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Dude I know how you feel I' m a 58 and a volunteer fire fighter and I can't do inside work plus my 18 year old daughter loves horse back riding and after a few hours of that my legs are like Jello!

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I can relate I'm 50, and 5'6" 178 pound,and am an airsoft team member. I lost 11 pounds over the summer (so far)because I would get sick running around in the jungle here in florida fully geared up with a plate carrier molle vest. In spite of major hydration I would get nauseous and wind up writhing in pain from severe muscle cramps in my ribs and legs. There is this one leg cramp I would get in my inner upper thigh I named "gator bite" that would grab hol and just get tighter and more tighter in spite if trying to stretch it out, it would then cause my lower back to go off as well. I just stopped playing altogether this summer to lose the weight and re build my body with proper diet walking, weight training and running. It didn't help that my heart rate would climb in anticipation of "kill or be killed" lol. I look forward to rejoining my group in the cooler weather, then by next summer I should be good to go. I will never let myself get or of shape again. It only gets more difficult as we age, and besides, if a zombie apocalypse hits I wanna be ready lol

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
the first time I went paint balling I was overcome with this super power ability to rush up the middle of the forest like Rambo and then right before I was seen I dropped to the ground and crawled right up behind their team.
I forced them to mercy within the first minute of the round. it was totally insane. like I embodied my grandpa.
I was wearing his army jacket from korea.

i've been a couple times since, I got scary good at it the few times I went.

my favourite memories are holding the crack house, a shed in the middle of a forest designed for a terrorist team to hold a briefcase that sits out on the front deck while the CT's attempt to extract it. it's actually a scary scenario when you have/see 15+ enemies shooting at you with the paint hitting right behind and beside you while you're trying to have your team calmly exchange fire and manoeuvre into different positions.

and when our hockey team faced off against a military/police squad in a simulated town my second trip.
there was a tower on opposite ends with a town in between. they used tactics but we were just too quick and had really good positions. i've never lost a paintball match i've played, I always know what to do to win.

it is just for fun in the end, but you really learn a lot about your limitations, whats a good/bad idea etc..
and it's good to get that feeling of getting shot at out of your system.
I now know I can handle myself even with projectiles firing at me with the intent to hit.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Cardio: It should be "Rule #1" for any Apocalyptic scenario.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

Cardio: It should be "Rule #1" for any Apocalyptic scenario.

I need a " scare the crap out of you being chased by some zombie" cardio training a few days of the week.

Hey,what a great idea on training and for someone to make money!

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Actually,I think the Pink Panther had the original idea..........

Training.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I play paintball religiously, I'm glad to hear you went with your son. The small course with inflatable barricades is speed ball. Pretty high paced game with lots of shooting . I guess I am one of those guys that plays the urban combat and woodsball. Both of which require a lot of cardio.

You're right about how much energy duck and cover exerts. I suggest all the arm chair zombie apocalypse and Call of Duty warriors, actually get out there and give it a shot, instead of bragging on the internet how awesome they will be.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by highfreq
I play paintball religiously, I'm glad to hear you went with your son. The small course with inflatable barricades is speed ball. Pretty high paced game with lots of shooting . I guess I am one of those guys that plays the urban combat and woodsball. Both of which require a lot of cardio.

You're right about how much energy duck and cover exerts. I suggest all the arm chair zombie apocalypse and Call of Duty warriors, actually get out there and give it a shot, instead of bragging on the internet how awesome they will be.

Amen to that,brother.
I'm sorry I waited so long.

Looking forward to moving up to the urban/woods combat one day.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I forgot to mention ,about 6 years ago my daughter went paint balling with a local Baptist church group and my daughter hit the pastier twice in the fore head...it was God is gonna make me pay for this...and she is gonna be a cop!

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

The "double tap" is a close second.

edit on 22-9-2012 by DermotMcDerp because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join