It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13-year-old girl sentenced to death in Iran

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I hope people are starting to understand what we are dealing with here...

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie

I agree that we dont know the circumstances as to how she became pregnant, but it is the same old adage 'it takes 2 to tango'.

[edit on 16-10-2004 by Bikereddie]

[edit on 16-10-2004 by Bikereddie]

In the case of rape it does not take two to tango, one is unwilling to this horrible act. Would you say ' it takes 2 to tango' to a rape victim?

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
This is just sick! Bu are we any better?

What 'sentence' did Congressman Barney Frank get for molesting a 15 year old boy?

I didn't think the guys were underaged in the Barney Frank scenario. What's your source?

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
The boy gets 150 lashes and the girl will be stoned to death,
Thats fair. Her brother probably raped her and she gets killed while he gets off with 150 lashes. They are hoping to get her hanged instead of stoned thats justice.

Kill the rape victim
Women really are second maybe third class citizens ( I bet they treat camels better) in Iran.

If they use those 150 lashes to remove his schlong it might be justice.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

Originally posted by Deckard_BR26354
I think the question is, do we have the right to impose Western values on Eastern cultures? I'm not sure that we do.

Are we just to sit back and watch while they�re murdering children (even if it�s their own)?

This is an area where Amnesty International proves itself as a very valid organization. It may be able to help in this matter. Plenty of people paint Amnesty International out to be kooks...but they're often the only ones to turn to in small, moral, complex humanitarian travesties. I hope they can help.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by verfed

but i do respect anyones beliefs in any religion that they choose.

How can you respect the Shariah Islamic Law that is in Iran? How can you respect their beliefs if this is what THEY believe in?

I think what they were saying, and it is subtle is, "you can respect someone's right to have their beliefs, even if you don't respect the actual beliefs". I find it ironic reading the responses of people talking about the morality of the Islamic culture, and talking with a degree of righteousness about how to address a balancing of morality worldwide...and yet these people are those that don't support things like the United Nations and the World Court. How can any of us say that there should be a Universal court or authority over some things and not another. It seems to be a contradiction of belief to me. I sure don't have the solution. I find this similar to the United States bombing people for developing nuclear weapons and yet continuing to develop their own. At some point, everyone has to get on the same page about some things don't belong in any one nations hands. Perhaps that the way to address this siutation. A world treaty on humanity and the preservation of it that elevates certain things to a worldwide standard. Outside of the standard, it's for each nation or state to decide.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I'm very open minded. Im very good at accepting cultural differences. But when it comes to death...yeah I think it's justified to get involved. Killing a 13 year old is just wrong. Unless that 13 year old killed some people herself.

That sounds a bit over the top to me, but incest is not a good thing.

Unfortunately there is a massive epidemic of Incest these days in Western countries going largely unreported and unpunished.

Same with shoplifting. If shoplifters had a hand amputated, it would certainly reduce shoplifting !!!!!!!!!!!!

That is really what it is all about. The permissive western countries are in total moral decay from vice and corruption. The Eastern countries are incredibly strict in a whole lot of areas. We see it as cruel, but is it really?

I'm not going to argue that. But how did that justify the fact the girl is getting killed and not the boy?

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopdopey
Thanks, Intrepid

I'm still coming to grips with the regulations, and i just wasn't very happy with the decision.

But again on topic - I dont think leaving this issue will solve any problems, if there continues to be terrorist attacks then we (the West) will have no choice but to defend our nations, even if that means a religious war against Islam.

I'm sorry to all the non-fanatical peace loving muslims who have to put up with these fanatics. This minority are creating more racial hatred in the west, and it will ultimately end up with more muslim kids being bullied at school, and more race attacks on the streets. They should do their best to silence these fanatics, because if they dont then we're going to have realy big problems over the next 50 years

I sort of feel the same way about Christian fanatics right here in the United States. But we all can't just go about "silencing" each other. We've GOT to find a way to understand their are extremist and not punish all for the acts of a few.The burden is on us, the civilized. It isn't for the masses to silence the minority, it is for the majority to appease, ignore or address with strategies, law, etc.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Have anyone found an english translation to this story yet? I�ve been looking all over for it, but the english-speaking media seems awfully quiet about it. I�ll still keep my eyes open though. I don�t expect to find it in Teheran Times. Is there other issues with Iran that keeps them from bringing this story to the frontpage?

Here�s a swedish article, still nothing in english...
Aftonbladet: Gila, 13, ska stenas till d�ds

They say in that article:
In Iran, you can in theory get death penalty when you�re 9 years old...

[edit on 2004/10/16 by Hellmutt]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I finally found some words about this in english.
I was hoping for a BBC article, but it seems like they�ve been silenced...

Iran Teen Faces Stoning

"The Iranian government is planning to stone to death a 13-year-old in the city of Mariyan in the coming days, reports the Women's Forum Against Fundamentalism in Iran, a Boston-based group that conducts research, outreach and awareness programs about the challenges faced by Iranian women.

According to the forum's Oct. 14 press release, the teen, Jila Izadi, is accused of adultery, an offense punishable by death. However, the release alleges that Izadi was raped and impregnated by her brother and has been further victimized by the Iranian constitution, which offers women and girls little judicial protection or due process."

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I am abhorred by this sentence.What culture or religion executes their children for a crime?USA notwithstanding..I'm kinda glad I hail from Singapore..

Iran must be told to wake up her idea.There is no place for a nation to claim they are developed enough to possess nuclear technology yet execute two kids.They need moral and PROPER religious guidance, not to be killed.I would sanction some form of action against the Iranian government for this callous act.Any takers?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   

From Urgent Appeal to save a 13-year-old girl from stoning in Iran

The fundamentalism regime of Iran is planning to stone a 13-year-old girl, Jila, in the city of Marivan in coming days. Jila was raped and impregnated by her brother and Iran�s clerical judge has sentenced her to death by stoning. According to the Iranian regime's penal code, stoning is the punishment for those who commit adultery. Jila did not commit adultery; rather she is a victim of rape.

Stoning in Iran is carried out as "the condemned are wrapped head to foot in white shrouds and buried up to their waists. � The misogynous regime of Tehran even details the difference between the stoning of men vs. women. �The female condemned are buried up to their neck to prevent their escape.� Furthermore, "the stones are specifically chosen so they are large enough to cause pain, but not so large as to kill the condemned immediately. They are guaranteed a slow, torturous death. Sometimes their children are forced to watch.� No other government in the world practices stoning as the Iranian regime.

Women�s Forum Against Fundamentalism in Iran (WFAFI) calls upon the international community and human rights organization to fight for Jila�s life and stop Tehran�s regime from stoning her. Iran�s constitution does not offer women and young girls any protection or due process in the court. There are no legal avenues open to Jila to appeal the judge�s decision. For this reason, WFAFI urgently calls upon Mrs. Shirin Ebadi, the 2003 Nobel Peace Prize winner, to intervene on Jila�s behalf and save her.

WFAFI also calls upon UNICEF to dispatch a fact-finding mission on this case and save Jila. Gender violence in Iran is sharply rising and increasingly claiming younger lives everyday.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join