It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Quebec It's Official: Mass Movement Leads to Victory for Students

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

I take no offense to that and it's kind of what I was trying to say in my post earlier. We have got to invest in proper education, if we don't the whole world suffers.

I wouldn't worry about "my tax dollars paying for a person's education," WE ALL benefit from the education of others.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Viva La Quebec! Love and Respect from B.C. Montreal is the one place is Canada I haven't been to that i want to check out. To be honest, i've heard the women there are beautiful and that's the main reason i want to go, but i digress. Good to see another example of how people truly do have the power... if they so choose. Granted the police are probably less extreme than they are in the U.S. when it comes to protesters, judging from some of the Occupy footage at least, and i wasn't at the student protests in question, so i am making somewhat of an assumption here i admit, but regardless, nice to see and encouraging also.

Peace. ~

ETA, OP your link to the article does not seem to work for me. I can't even click on it, not sure if it is a glitch on my end or a broken link, anyways thought i'd mention it.
edit on 23-9-2012 by Runciter33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I wonder what's going to happen at the next Equalization and TFF review?

2nd.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by alphaskunk

Quebec students can pay the lowest tuition because they fight their provincial government and the Quebecquois government can extort more money from the central government.

And yes women in Montreal are certainly the most attractive in North America, it's almost like it isn't N.A. any more.
edit on 23-9-2012 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Good thing you won't have to wait that long...2012-2013 is the end date (accept Atlantic provinces)...Regretfully Ontario may be in the running for the biggest payment moving forward

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Well technically, you're kinda wrong. The demonstrations didn't bring victory to the students. The election did. If the Liberals, while still in office, backed down on the tuition hike, then you would have a point. However, you could argue that Charest called the election because of the demonstrations but he didn't have to.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ericthenewbie
reply to post by peck420

Good thing you won't have to wait that long...2012-2013 is the end date (accept Atlantic provinces)...Regretfully Ontario may be in the running for the biggest payment moving forward

You can thank McGuilty and his over spending for that one. I couldn't even imagine why the people voted that liar back in.....I guess it shows that people will vote in the one who will promise the most free stuff. Guess the people are finding out the money will eventually run out....and yes, tax all the banks and the rich you want, you will just delay bankruptcy.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

For those Canadians who would like to see Quebec separate from Canada because they feel that they are nothing but freeloaders...you may want to refresh yourself on the current economics within Canada;

The economy of Quebec represents 20.36% of the total GDP of Canada. Like most industrialized countries, the economy of Quebec is based mainly on the services sector. Quebec's economy has traditionally been fueled by abundant natural resources, a well-developed infrastructure, and average productivity. The provincial GDP in 2010 was C$ 319,348 billion, which makes Quebec the second largest economy in Canada.

en.wikipedia.org...

If that's the case why does the rest of Canada regularly send Quebec billions in equalization payments?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Makes me glad to see things like this. And to those people blaming the banks yes they do help cause inflation, taxes and more BUT people need to realize WE the PEOPLE create and help feed banks, in the big picture it's our own faults we could use small banks or save it all in our home or other means of saving and spending money could be used but lets face it humans are lazy they want the easy way out. Big banks may rip them off but it's okay because their ignorant. You want change? Stop using the system....

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Just a thought....

has anyone considered that if hadn't been for the election the protests would still be going on? This seems like an example of good timing to me. New MP wants to cater to the young people.

Im not saying that it isnt a victory, but I think that theres more then meets the eye here..

Also, I love Quebec
but those people can drink, shouldnt it be Je me souviens pas?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ATS23

If that's the case why does the rest of Canada regularly send Quebec billions in equalization payments?

Your statement is misleading, Quebec although this year is entitled to the largest payment, it isn't the only province receiving equalization payments, so to imply that "the rest of Canada" is sending only Quebec money is inaccurate. Here's the real breakdown of "have" and "have not" provinces (PEI actually benefits the most on per capita basis for 2012-2013 payments);

"Have" provinces;

Alberta
Saskatchewan
Newfoundland and Labrador
British Columbia

"Have not" provinces;

Quebec
Ontario
Manitoba
New Brunswick
Nova Scotia
Prince Edward Island

Equalization payments in Canada

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Well, I don't want to burst your bubble but,

Although the "partie Quebecois" who is the leading party for the 2012 provincial election, only won enough seats to form a minority government ie: In a parliamentary system this means that they can recommend their ideas on the economy, education, familly, and so on... BUT they must have 50+1% of the ministers agree with their views and a MAJORITY government has 50+1 but not this time. Currently, the pie is sliced more or less in three parts with a few small crumbs around the slices, those few small crumbs can attach themselves to a slice and make it that much bigger, its the +1 in 50+1. La CAQ which is a party comprised of X separatists who are that crumb that can make a that piece bigger.

As far as the educational system is concerned in the 70' a tuition hike was ordered which was strongly protested and the public won sort of. This time around, the same thing happened. Who will pick up the bill? Eventually, once again, the public through direct or other taxations. That's what will happen, buts that's another thread. Ok! Yay for that!, ALSO, It is not all rosy and pink, this party' primary objective is to separate Quebec from the rest of Canada ,which I don't agree with.

My mother tongue is French and English my second language (technically), I was able to speak both ever since I can remember. This party is staunchly advocating French and instilling fear about English taking over and the English in Quebec are advocating the inverse. They are right in a way, but still instilling fear creating division.

I do believe it is a victory for the student (kind of see above), but the "partie quebecois"' primary agenda is scary. Maybe separating won't be so bad since the rest of Canada will not have the burden of our debt or we get to keep our wealth (unless we are forced to make a new currency). Yup! I feel stable right now!

edit on 23-9-2012 by bitsforbytes because: cause I can!

I live in Quebec tabarnak!
edit on 23-9-2012 by bitsforbytes because: tabarnak

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
No, instead you punish the taxpaying citizens.

With a statement like that, you truly deserve your world ranking regarding educational issues.

OT:
Good on your students.

Personally, I prefer a solid (self-funded) master craftmanship qualification over any university education, but still, education should never be a question of money.
edit on 23-9-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Taxe payers will flip the bill on this... it is naive to think they will not get their pound of flesh somewhere else.

Education shouldn't nearly cost as much as it does. IF they have a hard on to get more money out of it they will take it somewhere else.

It really has nothing to do of whether or not you want to pay for education or not with taxes. It has to do that even though you see this as a victory it really isn't. They will still get their pound of flesh be it through the students or the tax payers. which is what you fail to grasp

edit on 23-9-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-9-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-9-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

It really is garbage to be in my final year of post secondary and each year it goes up by roughly five per cent, meanwhile, Quebec students pay for university at the price they would pay for college here in Ontario.

Don't get me wrong, good for them, but I mean we pay the highest tuition rates in Canada here in Ontario, and we accept it.

They are crying about paying 3,000 bucks to go to university, if they don't like it they can come here and I will take their place. The thing is they will eventually have to accept the fact that the tax payers will continue to pay less and the students will pay more. It is the natural shift of things.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
This is cool and all, I applaud their success but their anger is directed in the wrong direction.

Education is not a right and getting free education doesn't help anybody or anything in the long-term. It is the policy makers that create environments where costs are forced to go up.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

reply to post by ATS23

Your statement is misleading, Quebec although this year is entitled to the largest payment, it isn't the only province receiving equalization payments, so to imply that "the rest of Canada" is sending only Quebec money is inaccurate. Here's the real breakdown of "have" and "have not" provinces (PEI actually benefits the most on per capita basis for 2012-2013 payments);

"Have" provinces;

Alberta
Saskatchewan
British Columbia

"Have not" provinces;

Quebec
Ontario
Manitoba
New Brunswick
Nova Scotia
Prince Edward Island

No argument, but one would think with the second largest GDP percentage vs National GDP that they would be able to stand on their own two feet by now, but no, there they are, year after year bellying up to the public trough.

I happen to love the province and I spent the better part of a year working there but I have come to realize there is no appeasing the Provincial Government so if they decide to leave, they'll get no argument from me.

edit: Oh and as for PEI - great Province, home of Confederation and they WANT to be part of Canada.

And even with their highest per capita transfer payments they still don't have $7.00 a day day care, the lowest post secondary education costs in Canada nor do they restrict movement of labour or demand that they be treated distinctly costing the rest of Canada unknown billions in bilingualism related costs...no PEI is just fine by me

edit on 24-9-2012 by ATS23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ATS23

reply to post by ATS23

No argument, but one would think with the second largest GDP percentage vs National GDP that they would be able to stand on their own two feet by now, but no, there they are, year after year bellying up to the public trough.

edit on 24-9-2012 by ATS23 because: (no reason given)

^ This.

I live in a 'Have' province, namely British Columbia. While in Quebec people pay $7/day for daycare (around $140/month), we pay here between $650 and $1200/month depending on the age of the child.
In the mean time, we read that Quebec received 60% of equalization payments. My heart bursts with joy... NOT. We are talking about our hard -earned -taxed -through the teeth money. Our cost of living skyrocketed in the past years and we barely can save anything for our child future university tuition. I guess people in Quebec don't have to struggle with the conundrum of what to do first: save for our retirement or save for kid's tuition?

Oh, and another gem: free in vitro fertilization. In BC it costs minimum $5000 + cost of medication.

Yeah, you can say that I am pretty much fed up with all the whining coming from La Belle Province. It's not fair to the rest of Canada.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

"Have" provinces;

Alberta
Saskatchewan
British Columbia

"Have not" provinces;

Quebec
Ontario
Manitoba
New Brunswick
Nova Scotia
Prince Edward Island

Interesting.

How long do you think that the 'have' provinces will be able to support the 'have not's'?

Have Provinces : 9,593,231 (28.7%)
Have Not`s: 23,776,192 (71.3%)

[Please note that the Territories are not included in this population breakdown, as the TFF is a little different than the Equalization system]

Ontario becoming a 'have not' was a much, much bigger game changer than most people realise.

Going to be some interesting times up ahead.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Taxing them will do nothing. They will just pass the cost on to consumers. But you are probably big govt statist and think that the beloved Govt will give you better health care.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join