It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic Ice Rotten to the Core

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
It is hard to find good information on what is happening in the Antarctic. Here is an article that explains it fairly well.

www.scoop.co.nz...

The researchers have revealed that sea temperatures don’t just affect the margins of the large Antarctic ice sheet, but a close connection exists between the Southern Ocean and the interior of the ice sheet, through narrow corridors of fast moving ice, known as ice streams.

“We found that the ice streams, which are like arteries of flowing ice, are capable of triggering rapid, significant changes right through to the interior of the ice sheet,” says Dr Golledge.

Eighty percent of the heat from global warming has been taken up by the ocean and much of this warming is in the Southern Ocean around Antarctica. Present observations show that these warm ocean currents are already melting the marine margin of the ice sheet in the Amundsen Sea, says Dr Golledge.

Ice in the ocean around Antarctica is growing because the glaciers on the continent are sliding into the Southern Ocean, which is why all these glaciers are breaking away.

Mother Earth has just begun to react. Things are about to get crazy.

If the aliens are coming, looks like they are waiting for us to off ourselves first

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Thescripter

Made me think... What if someone nuked the hell out of the antarctic?

There would be a whole lot of new beach front property,

Sooner than later.

edit on 23-9-2012 by poet1b because: Missed paste

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

Back in the 80's it was "This could happen and might be now", now it is...
"This IS happening"

I remember the discussions going around when the movie Waterworld came out. How we could almost be that way if global ice sheets did melt.

The nice thing is that looking at maps of the globe you can pretty much see where the water is going to go, at least in the USA. Looks like we are in an accelerated natural cycle if I read the article right. I'm not worried about it as it is something WAY beyond my control, but I do find it interesting to watch as all of these things unfold.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

Absolutely!
Stuff happens...
And the beat goes on.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I've only read page 1 so far, but I want to applaud everyone who has posted through the 1st page for not denying global warming. Personally, I don't care what the causes are, though my theory, like my theory on most things, is that it is a combination of factors (natural Earth cycles, man-caused, and cosmic ie Sun cycles.)

Anyhow, it is shocking that many people deny global warming is happening when the measurements are clear. I think the blame game is merely a distraction to keep the 80% least intelligent among us distracted from pushing for research into "what are we going to do when the scales are tipped?"

If a fire was raging which was going to engulf your continent eventually, would you want the world's greatest scientific minds and billions of dollars poured into figuring out whether it was a lightning strike or a careless camper's bonfire which started it? Or would you want to work on figuring out a) how can we stop it or b) what's our survival plan after all the land is torched?

Incidentally, in the US, I believe the mississippi will save those of us to the east of the river LOL

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

There're deep frozen methane patches in the oceans but these have some protection against melting. However, they would be catastrophic (if it isn't already) if they melted. The more immediate worry is the permafrost. And there might be areas of methane too in all that that I don't know about.

This article from 2009 says estimates show that melting permafrost up to 2100 will - over the longterm - cause warming corresponding to 270 years of present day emissions levels:
www.telegraph .co.uk ...
edit on 23-9-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DENBY

I guess not everyone is into reality.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

One of the big reasons for the oceans to rise in the past was the huge amount of ice on land that melted after we left the last ice age. I'm in agreement that ocean ice would actually reduce its displacement if melted and this would offset a lot of what little land ice left that might melt in the near future.

We might see a small rise in the world's oceans in inches.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite

There're deep frozen methane patches in the oceans but these have some protection against melting. However, they would be catastrophic (if it isn't already) if they melted. The more immediate worry is the permafrost. And there might be areas of methane too in all that that I don't know about.

This actually worries me more and we could see some what of a greenhouse effect due to this.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by littled16

There is nothing natural about this warming cycle. The historical record shows us this has never happened before so rapidly.

We are about to go on one crazy ride.

We really don't know that do we? Last time this happened was at least a million years ago. No humans were around to observe it. I have read many theories that suggest drastic climate change can happen very rapidly as opposed to taking thousands of years.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
In 2011, Russian scientist discovered plumes of methane coming up out of the Arctic Ocean's continental shelf up to a KM wide. That is something to worry about.

From what I have read, if the Antarctic ice cap melts, we would see a 100' plus increase in ocean levels, 20' if only Greenland melts. It has been awhile since I have looked at the predicted sea level rise, but is enough to put a lot of places underwater.

At this point in time it is hard to say how bad things will get, but they can get very bad.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dogstar23

I see it like we are in a boat, and there is a serious looking storm on the horizon. We don't know what is going to happen, but it's about time to start buttoning down the hatches.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

According to this article, the maximum possible sea level rise is 80 metres.

Obviously any sea level rise could have significant impact around some parts of the globe.

Regardless of the cause of this rapid melting, it sure demands our serious and immediate attention.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Don't worry about sea level rising.

Here you go.

On an average summer, about half of Greenland's surface ice melts, according to NASA. This summer, satellites showed about 97 percent of the ice sheet thawed at some point in mid-July.

www.reuters.com... 8IPHFR20120725

Did you get wet feet this summer ? Look at this next pic.

science.nasa.gov... and/

So it's warmer, but they said Greenland would be holding amount of water that the sea level would rise as much as 6 meters.

This did not happen.

You're welcome.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Did anyone ever think to ask if this was all deliberate? So that we would have access to vast resources that lay beneath the icecaps?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
In 2011, Russian scientist discovered plumes of methane coming up out of the Arctic Ocean's continental shelf up to a KM wide. That is something to worry about.

From what I have read, if the Antarctic ice cap melts, we would see a 100' plus increase in ocean levels, 20' if only Greenland melts. It has been awhile since I have looked at the predicted sea level rise, but is enough to put a lot of places underwater.

At this point in time it is hard to say how bad things will get, but they can get very bad.

within 150 years it will be very bad for all of us, all of us alive currently will be.................wait for it..................DEAD!

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
There's really nothing we can do. Even if humans are the cause if every green house gas producing object stopped producing green house gases the earth would continue to heat up for several years. And if it's simply a cycle that the earth goes through then that's all there is to it and all we can do is wait it out. Even if we tried to make change it would probably be too late at least as far as Arctic ice is concerned.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Resonant

So what if the ice caps are melting? My problem with the UN and those who like them is that they want to tax me and my country to pieces because of this. Instead of doing something about this years ago, they want to use it as an excuse to whittle our prosperity to the nubs. It is a way for the enemies of freedom to impose penalties and high taxes. If tptb really wanted to help the environment they would have encouraged inventors to create hydrogen cars long ago instead of stifling and killing inventors when they came up with great inventions. We need to run the UN and those who like them into the sea. They're true motives are not really hard to discern. A blind man culd feel it with his cane. It's all a sham whether the caps are melting or not.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

We know nothing of the planets history. record go back what 100s or 1000s of years. How old is the planet?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join