It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic Ice Rotten to the Core

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I was on a site (well I've been going there for a few days now), that is just all "lists", right......tope 10 video games, top 15 evil rulers, top 20 strange origins of common words.....things like that. The whole site is just "lists" of things from every subject you can imaging.

Well, I came across one list titled something along the lines of "Top 10 scientific facts nobody knows". There's actually a bunch with a similar title, but one in particular had this VERY interesting fact that IMO is an even bigger dagger to the heart of "man made global warming" than any of the other facts people talk about proving that it's all a scam (which btw, I absolutely believe is the case).

The interesting fact on that list I'm talking about is: People always talk about the last ice age, and when it ended, and when the next one will start and all that.....when the real fact is.....the last ice age hasn't ended yet. We're coming towards the end of the last ice age now, but we're still in it. The glaciers are STILL receeding. The said that Earth's ice ages aren't over until all the Glaciers, and basically the ice caps as a whole have completely melted.

I found that to be incredibly enlightening while reading it. It shows that we're just in a natural cycle of some sort.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Just remember that back in the 1980's they were saying the same thing. Apparently we are all supposed to be living on floating barges by now.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
So we're heading for an ice age, think i'll stock up on some winter clothing. eh? I don't get all the paranoia.
We are told by the scientific community that we have been through earth changes before and yet Mankind somehow survived.
We are talking about Mankind at a far lower level intellectually than now who survived and in time thrived.
So what does this tell you?
We need to change the way we think and live. For example the throw away generation may need a major reality check, maybe no more ipods and iphones. Maybe we have to synthesize our own foods in the future especially if large amounts of animals and vegetation dies off.
And sadly maybe we need to downsize from 6 billion to who knows what in order to survive.
We probably wont all be there, but a certainty is that Mankind will adapt and survive in some form, but at this point its all speculation and we have to wait and see.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by penninja
reply to post by poet1b

It can't possibly last long because with this degree of yearly melt it wont be but the same handful of years before the NA current shuts down from fresh water shutting the conveyor and creates an ice age.

There is little we can do about it, it's obvious that this is the Sun as causation not just man made phenomena this is cyclical and inevitable anyway.

Oh really! Are you a scientist in the field? All the observations of the Sun show that the current warming is NOT due to an INCREASE in the suns output. In fact over the past 10 years or so we should have seen a cooling !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But hey let's not let facts get in the way of the anti human warming agenda. You have won congratulations. It is now too late to do anything.

Future generations will be oh so proud of how ignorance and greed (oil industry) has screwed the world when we could have done something about it.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Made me think... What if someone nuked the hell out of the antarctic?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
The evidence shows the Antarctic was a tropical climate with vegetation and we can only wonder what life may have fossils down beneath the ice. What land has been exposed showed the past climate though so indeed.. natural cycles and we're judging them like we're experts on a planet as old as 4 billion years while we have accurate records of a few hundred years and precise ones for one a few decades. lol....

The whole man made global warning thing just kinda makes me laugh. We're so new to learning about this world we live in that we still don't even know how much we don't know yet. Oh..but we're SURE global warming is precisely what some say it is and all that.

Truth is stranger than fiction but also better than comedy at times. Now I wonder where this cycle eventually leads anyway? I'd love to walk the land of Antarctica in my lifetime. Exciting times could be ahead. Who knows.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by jiggerj

Millions of years ago, when the planet was last this warm, forests grew in the Arctic zones.

That's how all this vegetation grew there. The info is in one of the links I provided.

Maybe we went thru a mini pole shift of 45 degre not the hole 90

Florida may have been a cold place then

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by DENBY

Many don't realize things change constantly and it's completely normal.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Is methane denser or less dense than oxygen? If its less dense, maybe the areas lowest in elevation will be safest. If more dense, mountaintops? It (the methane) will have to push the oxygen somewhere. Yes it will dissipate, but it will also collect in heavier concentrations in some areas where the oxygen levels would have to be very low. Where in the world, what type of areas, would remain highest in oxygen.

At least for the longest time, I dunno?

Maybe an area with a lot of trees and plants would be one factor. Elevation might factor in. Distance to ocean...? Latitudes? There has to be a place or places that would be the safest in a situation like this. Mankind didn't go extinct 100,000 years ago. Maps were made so humans were around when the Antarctic region was ice free.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thescripter
Made me think... What if someone nuked the hell out of the antarctic?

Are you being serious lol? I have a feeling that might make the situation a bit worse.

To be honest us humans have taken away to much from the Earth and we have given nothing in return, we do probably have the tech to survive on a predominantly water based planet but most of the population would not be able to afford those luxuries.

I am selling two spaces on my ultra wave survival unit for £5000 each.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
The very fact that its ATS doom mongering about this crap gives me all the reason I need to discount it.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by yorkshirelad

reply to post by poet1b

It can't possibly last long because with this degree of yearly melt it wont be but the same handful of years before the NA current shuts down from fresh water shutting the conveyor and creates an ice age.

There is little we can do about it, it's obvious that this is the Sun as causation not just man made phenomena this is cyclical and inevitable anyway.

Oh really! Are you a scientist in the field? All the observations of the Sun show that the current warming is NOT due to an INCREASE in the suns output. In fact over the past 10 years or so we should have seen a cooling !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But hey let's not let facts get in the way of the anti human warming agenda. You have won congratulations. It is now too late to do anything.

Future generations will be oh so proud of how ignorance and greed (oil industry) has screwed the world when we could have done something about it.

I believe that all planets in the Solar System have been increasing in temperature.

So either those auto emmissions fly a long long way, or it's the sun.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Power_Semi

Originally posted by yorkshirelad

reply to post by poet1b

I believe that all planets in the Solar System have been increasing in temperature.

So either those auto emmissions fly a long long way, or it's the sun.

Obviously the aliens aren't aware of global warming and we must make it into our best effort to inform them. Quick everyone, to the petershuttle!

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Speaking of planetary temperatures you can follow Curiosity's weather instrument package updates on Twitter.

Mars Weather ‏@MarsWxReport Sol 45 (Sep 21, 2012 UTC): Sunny, high 2.9C/37F, low -74C/-101F, pressure higher at 7.57 hPa, wind E at 7.2kmh/4.5mph, sunrise 6am, set 5pm

over the last three days it got up to a whopping 39F. We don't have enough data from our short time there to confirm if Mars is heating up but its interesting to me anyway.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
How to end global warming in 1 easy steps. Step 1 sell your oil stocks. Everybody sell their oil stocks.
If everyone who had stock in oil suddenly started selling. These companies would be bankrupt in relatively short order... Though I'm sure a few private enterprises would pop up.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by hoochymama
reply to post by moniesisfun

I think the point is that sure the Arctic is shrinking but how do you explain at the same time the Antarctic is increasing its MASS of Water??

That is the point, itsnt it??

The arctic is surrounded by land, but the antarctic's land is mostly in the center. The ice measured is in the ocean next to the land. Basically, a small percentage of ice migrates from the land to the sea nearby. It's falling off the land.
edit on 23-9-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
IMO the sun is getting hotter, even a .001% rise in heat would be cause for worry. It used to not get up to 114 degrees with a 125 heat index in arkansas in the summer as often but it's doing it more and more. I didn't even bother mowing my yard because it was so damn hot people were heatstroking out just sitting on their porches doing nothing. I didn't think i'd ever see the day it would be as hot here as it is in the M.E. but it is. The temperature has been down in the upper 70's lower 80's and i was tempted to get a jacket because i was cold...and this in the U.S.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Earlier, I was wrong when I said that GW is happening as predicted. It is I fact happening much faster.

rabble.ca...

Models predicted the Arctic Ocean could be ice-free in 30 years but the observed changes now indicate it could happen in as little as two years (and no more than seven), or even by the end of September this year if there are a few more cyclones!

Global warming is happening much faster than it was predicted to happen. As one of the articles on the first page states, we are now seeing areas ice free that have not been ice free for millions of years.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

millions of years...so you're saying this has happened before...see!! that means it's just a natural cycle!!! and I'm a logical genius!!

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

reply to post by poet1b

I believe that climate change is due to The Sun, but also that man kind has had an input on this particular cycle.

Of course, mankind has never been able to influence the weather, not even a little bit, and certainly not on a planetary scale.

I'm not a climate change denier, I'm just a denier that things like carbon credits will have any impact on climate change at all.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join