It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic Ice Rotten to the Core

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

www.lifeslittlemysteries.com...

BTW Phage if I were to post from a website named "lifeslittlemysteries", obviously not being a scientific source, you would be all over me for posting from such an obvious biased unscientific source...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Its usually skeptics and opinions against sources and then a smear job campaign to put down legitimate scientists and make the opinions god. When that much effort goes into something, I'm really surprised that the masses haven't stormed all their bases. Me, just waiting. I would like to be front row for that.

One of the things about the arctic is: Methane deposits, that seem to be unthawing and they are LIFE THREATENING. I really think we need to wake up and smell the roses.

Darren Hayes Roses

From Secret Codes and Battleships album.

I don't know, but I think they know a lot about what's going down and its their plan, not even nature.

edit on 19-10-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Maybe there is some secret organization that knows there is an alien race on their way here to rape our planet, so they are making us as unattractive as possible.

I guess if that is the case, then they are doing a good job.

Drill baby drill!

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Maybe there is some secret organization that knows there is an alien race on their way here to rape our planet, so they are making us as unattractive as possible.

No. No. No. That's not the plan at all.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hmm, tell me Phage, are you Tom Cruise or John Travolta?

Maybe Hubbard was right. In either case, it is really starting to look like we are up SC without a paddle.

Wait a minute, is john Lithgow a scientologist?
edit on 21-10-2012 by poet1b because: Add last line.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
wow, wow, wow...

It is ridiculous and hilarious at the same time the tactics that the AGW religious camp uses...

I love how the AGW religious camp first put forth, like always, the work of the liars and hoaxers like Mann, Tremberth, Jones, Hansen et al, then when these "scientists" are discredited by the evidence that shows they have been lying the whole time, and publishing false and/or flawed information the AGW religious camp claim "we know what all or most scientists think, and we know that everyone or almost everyone agrees with us"...

When that is debunked they try to deny the real evidence which has been in front of their noses for decades, then when that doesn't work they resort to claiming "anyone who doesn't agree with us is a paid stooge of the oil companies", in other words, they try to claim anyone who has a different view/opinion from theirs is being paid to do so... When that doesn't work they resort to post comic strips not based in reality and try to laugh it up by posting ridiculous arguments...

In the end their idols have been unmasked, their so called "evidence" has been debunked, and since they can't refute the mountains of evidence against their religion, they "deny, deny, deny" to no end...

Then these same people make fun of other people who have religious beliefs when the AGW camp are the most religious fanatics out there whom have formed a cult around lies, deception, and false "beliefs"...

Keep it up guys...

edit on 22-10-2012 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Global warming is happening, and in fact the rise in global temperature is accelerating.

Ice in the Arctic is where it was predicted to be ten years ago, not until 2050 or later.

5 years ago, Arctic ice was predicted to be where it is now, in 2025.

Ice on the Antarctic continent is in decline.

Greenlands glaciers have retreated so far, scientists are able to study conditions on Earth millions of years ago.

www.galathea3.dk...ø-+og+klimaændringer%2c+Sydgrønland/Project+specifikation/Holocene+fjord+and+shelf+processes+in+West+ Greenland%3a+a+record+of+environmental+and+climat

But hey, the deniers can hang in there under the bed crying, no, no no.
edit on 23-10-2012 by poet1b because: Typo

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I think the whole "global warming" thing has been turned into a political tool to divide people rather than a unification tool, or maybe that will come later when/if it has to.

Here is an article that I'm surprised hasn't been picked up on ATS yet, to my knowledge. One day I may make a comprehensive thread on the arctic, warming, methane, etc., but.. It would probably fall on deaf ears, and would drive awareness, but I don't people changing their way of life / attitudes until forced to by outside influences.

Here is the latest, one link into another rabbit hole:

ThinkProgress. org - Arctic Death Spiral Bombshell: CryoSat-2 Confirms Sea Ice Volume Has Collapsed

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Philippines

Let's face it, the ICBs see global warming as a major threat to the global empire they are trying to put into place. An ecologically balanced system means local produced and consumed goods. The end of planned obsolescence. The ICBs fight anything that threatens their existance tooth gang and nail. It scares the bejeezus out of the control freaks.

Thanks for the link. I have been watching this situation for some time now. In the past, there would be articles on the formation of winter ice, but I haven't found any info so far this year. Your link at least gives info on 2012.

All the evidence I have looked at shows accelerating global warming.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by redtic

The general public doesn't have the context or depth of understanding to comprehend what is happening. It doesn't matter if the ice is melting because of humans or if it is melting because of the sun. The only thing that matters is approximately 80% of the worlds population lives within 50 or so Km from a coast, and - the coast is toast.

That's a TON of displaced people, and a cascade of economic impactors so severe that no one, anywhere will be able to ride them out without major disruption.

The time for democracy has passed. Democracy isn't fast enough to respond to this challenge, assuming an educated electorate, and that assumption is invalid anyway.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

Actually a great deal of the people understand what is going on with global warming, far better than world leaders, whether these are leaders of the government or the ICs. If anything world leadership, especially corporate leadership, has proven itself ridiculously incompetent.

The time for democracy has passed. Democracy isn't fast enough to respond to this challenge, assuming an educated electorate, and that assumption is invalid anyway.

Just opposite, democracy is the way forward. More than anything we need to move away from centralized planning. This won't be like fighting a war, it will be adopting to survive, and centralized planning is the last thing we need.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Ice Age? Human caused or not if we enter an Ice Age we may wish we had saved some fosil fuels.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
Ice Age? Human caused or not if we enter an Ice Age we may wish we had saved some fosil fuels.

I don't understand what you're talking about when you say "Ice Age?" in a thread about the Arctic melting, can you please expand? Thanks =)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

There have been those groups who claim we are moving into an ice age, or that the gulf stream will shut down, and various other claims. Personally, I think they are dis-info agents.

The historical record indicates that this warming period will last at least a 1,000 years, maybe 10.

I think if the ice on Greenland melts, and Antarctica, that deep ocean pressures will increase, and create increased volcanic activity. This could lead to the next ice age. We could possibly learn to tap into or control this volcanic activity.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

There have been those groups who claim we are moving into an ice age, or that the gulf stream will shut down, and various other claims. Personally, I think they are dis-info agents.

The historical record indicates that this warming period will last at least a 1,000 years, maybe 10.

I think if the ice on Greenland melts, and Antarctica, that deep ocean pressures will increase, and create increased volcanic activity. This could lead to the next ice age. We could possibly learn to tap into or control this volcanic activity.

Oh I see. Yes, there are a lot of parrots on this board. Most people seem to repeat what people like Alex Jones say, or anything else on TV, Movies, etc. Just look at how many threads are based upon the idiot box and what other talking heads are saying.

To your point on cooling, I think it will happen, but we are not in that cycle yet. Warming comes first, now, and cooling may be a future dream.

The way I see it is that we may be facing runaway global warming. The methane hydrates are trapped in this old Arctic ice, and Siberia etc. As they release, they cause more warming etc. There seems to be a positive feedback loop in place, and the link I posted earlier shows the ice volume is diminishing.

If Greenland were to melt away then I don't see any meaningful ice freezing during the following winter as it would be 100% seasonal in my opinion. Just like with Antarctica now nearing winter months. The ice that is floating/glacier ice will not affect any change in ocean levels. The old ice on Greenland will, and other old ice.

I'll post this very informative video again, I have in a lot of threads. Watch it while you can, I've seen it disappear from 3 different YT accounts so far:

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I think it is time for an update on this situation. Arctic ice maxim was reached recently. The extent of new ice formation was the fourth or fifth lowest, depending on who is reporting it. Nine of the lowest 10 ice maximums have been in the last decade. However, the ice volume is the lowest ever.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Looks like I need to figure out how to upgrade my adobe flash player to upload images on my phone. I'll work on that later.

If you look at the third graph, this years Arctic Ice Maximum volume is almost the same as the ice Minimum just 3 decades ago. Most of the ice cover only formed in the last few months.

Storms created massive cracks across the both the Beaufort Sea and the Barents Sea. What new ice that has been created is more fragile than ever.

This means that the ice will most likely retreat faster, the ocean will warm earlier and and the methane Plumes will start releasing methane earlier and in far greater quantities.

In the meantime, the glaciers on Greenland and Antarctica are continuing to melt at an accelerating rate.

blogs.smithsonianmag.com...

According to a new study published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters, Greenland’s melting glaciers and ice caps sent 50 gigatons of water gushing into the oceans from 2003 to 2008. This comprises about 10 percent of the water flowing from all ice caps and glaciers on Earth. The research comes on the heels of a study last year that showed the ice sheets of Greenland and Antarctica are disappearing three times faster than in the 1990s, and that Greenland’s is melting at an especially accelerated rate. In the new study, scientists were able to put an even finer point to the ice-melt situation by separating out the glaciers and ice caps from the ice sheet, which blankets 80 percent of the island. What they discovered is that Greenland’s glaciers are actually melting more quickly than the ice sheet.

Given that Greenland experienced an exceptionally warm summer in 2012 and temperatures were higher than average this winter, 2013 is primed for more melting and massive icebergs. Last year’s ice-melt season lasted two months longer than the average since 1979, and this year’s is already off to an inauspicious start. It kicked off on March 13 with the sixth-smallest sea-ice area on record for Greenland, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center. What will the new summer calving season bring?

All of this is happening much faster than predicted, and all indicators are that this will continue to accelerate. If this acceleration continues, in a few years, this will become the most dominant force facing humanity. These event will reshape humanity more than any other event since the end of the last ice age.

We are about to enter and era of phenomenal change even greater than the last century.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Here is another thread I have been participating in, and following, that covers another critical aspect of global warming.

The increased level of seismic events possibly linked to global warming.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 7-4-2013 by poet1b because: Typos

edit on 7-4-2013 by poet1b because: Typo

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
It costs me to see these much people being against the notion of Global Warming. My grandfather is 70 and he said climate, in the past 5/10 years, changed so much...

People just don't understand that, for global warming to happen, you can be faced with some different situations in your particular area:
- Colder years overall;
- Hotter years overall;
- A total absense of seasonal transitions and continuity;
- Nothing.

Here in Portugal we had 2 summers last year, one starting on March and ending by the end of June and one in the month of September. Nothern Portugal had a lot of rain and mild temperature days for some July and most August. Now we are facing a cold wave, and are in April. With that being said, last year it was 30ºC by this time of the year, now it is 14ºC and there hasn't been 1 hot day since October.

I fear for the planet and the ignorants that keep saying we're not causing this. Of course heating and colding cycles are natural, but WE are speeding them, giving no time for adaptations in mother nature and our own. That's the problem. If a cycle takes 12000 years and we make it happen in 5000 (just an example), it's our fault.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick
It's called GREENland because it was Green when it was discovered. This has happened before in human history, even just since history started being kept. It's part of earth's cycle.

I won't argue whether people are speeding it up, etc. - but even if every human being had a zero carbon footprint & never produced any trash, this would still happen.

Learn your history

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Just thought i'd post this if anyone is interested?.

A cyclist killed in a crash in central London was a talented scientist and lecturer doing research on global warming, her employer has said. Source BBC.

She had travelled to the Arctic and the Antarctic to study the sea ice. Source BBC.

Could be more to it. Or could be just a "coincidence" as people like to say.

Dr Giles had taken on new commitments at the Centre for Polar Observation and Modelling at UCL following the accidental death of her colleague Seymour Laxon earlier this year. Source BBC.

Here is the link, It's on the BBC News Website www.bbc.co.uk...

Seems as though she had a bright future ahead of her. RIP

Edit...

Here is the link to her colleague Seymour Laxon This is on the Guardian Website www.guardian.co.uk...

LongShoreDrift

edit on 10-4-2013 by LongShoreDrift because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join