It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thirst for knowledge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Does anyone else have an unquenchable thirst for knowledge? I don't mean just books/science/etc. All my life ( I am a senior citizen) i have had to know how EVERYTHING works. My mother said when they gave me my first tricycle i took it apart to see how it worked. My first watch i took it apart and put it back together. Our first television i took apart (ouch they were pissed) but i put it back together. I never hired anyone to fix anything for me. Carpentry/electronics/mechanics/air conditioning,you name it i do it. I did not have the internet to reference from either. I have read and read and read but can not get enough. It's like I'm prepping for a game show or something. Not that i consider myself a genious,i just can't stop. (note how i miss-spelled genius) I can't sit still. If i go to a friends for a campfire or party i end up fixing something. Is this a disorder?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Sounds to me like you take the initiative and do things yourself. That's definitely not a bad quality to have and is definitely not a disorder. I wish I was more of a doer like you.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I'm not sure. Possibly it is more of distrust of others? I'm having no luck figuring it out. Women have told me i think too much. heh. I bet there is some social studies major that has a name for it.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Hey there jimmiec ... the time to worry is when you lose that thirst for knowledge ...

see my signature message below this post ... however much you think you know there is always more to learn

Woody

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I agree woodwytch, but it has made me pretty much unemployable. I don't play well with others. I have been in many situations where my employer loved me but the other employees did not due to the fact that i was more productive and knowledgeable. I know it sounds silly but it has been a problem for me most of my life. I am very even tempered, i am just not a conformist.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

So sad that this is the world we live in
but you should nee change who you are.

Woody

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
I agree woodwytch, but it has made me pretty much unemployable. I don't play well with others. I have been in many situations where my employer loved me but the other employees did not due to the fact that i was more productive and knowledgeable. I know it sounds silly but it has been a problem for me most of my life. I am very even tempered, i am just not a conformist.

I wouldn't consider yourself unemployable. You and I are the same in the ways you describe yourself, and I am employed very well. Consider field service. You work alone, manage your own time, and are 100% responsible for the work you do.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one HundrethMonkey, I pretty much do my own thing now. I am too old in todays economy to be gainfully employed i think. Senior citizens are not very employable now adays. I don't make much money and what i make i spend helping my daughters. I'm not complaining though. I eat, I don't need much. People give me blown up cars/lawnmowers/computers/weedeaters etc. I fix them up and usually give them away or keep them. I can't seem to bring myself to sell them for some reason. Hmmm, Maybe i have a White Knight to the rescue complex. lol It kinda makes sense. Maybe i have to know everything so i can help everybody. It is definitely a strange complex if it is one. I have been this way since i was a toddler so it can't be my upbringing.

new topics

top topics

join