Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Do not blame God, blame the Christian hypocrites!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

But the Gospel is also telling your to take care of the poor among many other good things. How am I contradicting myself?

You are not contradicting yourself.

I believe this life is a test, and we will be judged on how we treated the less fortunate.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

Thanks for posting this, I think it is a good reminder for many, even those who are not Christian. I am a Muslim, but I grew up Christian so I know how a True Christian is supposed to behave and conduct themselves in this world, and let me tell you - it is not unlike the behavior and conduct of a True Muslim. In Islam there is a strong concept of Charity, or Zakat and Sadaqa (sp?). Zakat is like tithes, its a certain percentage of your property & savings, but Sadaqa is voluntary, and therefore more rewarding. When you give Sadaqa you are supposed to hide it and not be boastful about it. something like 'the right hand gives but the left hand does not see', basically to keep you from doing it out of pride or want of recognition. I heard a lovely story only recently, not sure if it is in the hadeeth or not, but
a man wanted to give charity, so he gave to a man. the people of his town came to him the next day and said 'you gave charity to is a theif.' the man said, 'thank you, God. praise be to God.' he went to give charity again, this time to a woman. the people again came to him and said, 'the woman you gave charity to is a prostitute.' the man said again, 'thank you, God. praise be to God.' he went to give charity yet again, to another man. the people yet again came to him and this time said, 'the man you gave charity to is a drunk.' the man said yet again, 'thank you, God. praise be to God.' - i am telling this story from memory so it is pretty badly paraphrased, but the end goes something like this- the charity the man gave to the theif stopped the theif from stealing, the prostitute from selling her body, and the drunk from drinking

the point is, if you give charity in the true FAITH and love for one another, that charity will be blessed and will touch that person's heart. This is better than any solitary act of worship.

True Christians know and practice this, and that is why I LOVE them.
The common demoninator among almost all religions is LOVE for mankind. Compassion and kindness are not flukes in our personalities, they are our redeeming qualities.

PS, thanks OP for posting this again, we all need to remember what compassion is. you should check out the thread in my signature, and you will see that we hold much of the same ideas about the innocent victims of people's selfishness in this world.
edit on 24-9-2012 by couldbeanyone because: hrmmmm... color tags in preview, but not in final post. curious.
edit on 24-9-2012 by couldbeanyone because: thanks to OP

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Originally posted by MeTarzan
You seem confused. Maybe it would help if you grasped the fact that ALL Protestants, so-called, are lapsed Catholics.

Curious point. No, I don't see it that way, but please clarify -- how does that affect the OP (or, if you were just replying to me, my post.)

You appear to have done some soul searching with one foot in Roman Catholicism and one foot in Protestantism. And it's not a "curious" point, it's a fact, whether you choose to see it that way or not. The RCC is "Mother Church," even according to the "Reformers," who, incidentally, also called her a whore. Gee, what does that make them? And yes, I'm speaking to you, the OP topic is a little inane, don't you think? You don't have to be a "Christian" to understand that everyone has a moral obligation to help the poor. Muslims do it, Buddhists do it, and yes, even atheists do it. Comical, if it weren't so pathetic, that Christians are still wringing their hands and pointing fingers over a "no brainer" like helping the poor.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat

I blame both god and his screwed up followers- because if they work for him, they should have been fired a long, long time ago.

God cannot fire those who never worked for him.

@axslinger

I just love the way atheists use the bible against Christians. First, they say the bible is a myth then, out of their ass they say, "Heeeeyyyyy! You're not living by the bible", and the stomp their little feets. I know it's not nice to laugh at retards but sometimes it's deserved.

I'm still a Christian not an atheist.

I just want to expose the lies of those many pretenders who claim to be Christians, who claims to be following Jesus but consistently in denial/opposition to one of the important teachings of Christ.

They keep justifying their wealth and pursuing an 'abundant life' and keep saying: "only few are called to devote their life to the poor and/or the Gospel". Is it really true, or is it because, only few would love God with all their heart, soul, and mind??

You won't find $$$ in the teachings of Jesus, but you'll find it in the Old Testament... But in the Old Testament, you stone sinners, sacrificed animals, etc etc... We are now in the New Testament. The 'pretenders' keep forcing that Old Testament teachings on money still applies in the New Testament!! The 'pretenders' might as well stone sinners too and sacrifice livestock!

You find it funny because indeed it is!
edit on 24-9-2012 by ahnggk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

"I blame both god and his screwed up followers- because if they work for him, they should have been fired a long, long time ago.

God cannot fire those who never worked for him."

At the rate things are going, he wont be getting any new workers, and his old ones are going on strike in droves.

Odd how the rich ones that are well off seem to stick around, tho.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahnggk
Do not blame God, blame the Christian hypocrites!

Nah...

I think I'll stick to blaming insecure, testosterone-whipped males for concocting the phallocentric, misogynistic systems of control, predicated upon fear and intolerance, dubbed 'religion'. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Comical, if it weren't so pathetic, that Christians are still wringing their hands and pointing fingers over a "no brainer" like helping the poor.

The love of money can make your brain disappear!

Christianity is potentially unique as helping the poor is one of the manifestations of repentance and truly believing Jesus and also one of the reasons for salvation.

So in Christianity, it's not just an advice or "I only do it if an Angel of the Lord comes down from heaven to tell me to do it...." it's a very serious matter and also one of the manifestations of faith that is pleasing to God.

It's not a rule or a law, but if you never felt it wrong to enjoy the world with all the suffering in the world, you got to rethink your relationship to God and even analyze if you were ever reborn of the spirit, a new creation.

As another manifestation of being reborn in the spirit, God will give you a 'heart of flesh'. A heart that is not cold, but can love and a passion for rescuing others. Not a heart that "I worship God on Sundays, then my comfort comes second!"

But the biggest problem, and greatest deception within Christianity today that it's God's Will for MOST of us to live a (materially) abundant life!! It is not only scientifically unsustainable, it is also socially and environmentally harmful!!

The psychological effect is also devastating. Hardens your heart in a nutshell. It's a very un-Christian teaching!!

Or should I say, Anti-Christian teaching?? Why promote a belief that is potentially destructive on the basis of science?? What makes worsening the rich and poor gap any good?? Do you think God will work out a miracle for all our disobedience and for something that is really bad??

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Comical, if it weren't so pathetic, that Christians are still wringing their hands and pointing fingers over a "no brainer" like helping the poor.

The love of money can make your brain disappear!

Christianity is potentially unique as helping the poor is one of the manifestations of repentance and truly believing Jesus and also one of the reasons for salvation.

So in Christianity, it's not just an advice or "I only do it if an Angel of the Lord comes down from heaven to tell me to do it...." it's a very serious matter and also one of the manifestations of faith that is pleasing to God.

It's not a rule or a law, but if you never felt it wrong to enjoy the world with all the suffering in the world, you got to rethink your relationship to God and even analyze if you were ever reborn of the spirit, a new creation.

As another manifestation of being reborn in the spirit, God will give you a 'heart of flesh'. A heart that is not cold, but can love and a passion for rescuing others. Not a heart that "I worship God on Sundays, then my comfort comes second!"

But the biggest problem, and greatest deception within Christianity today that it's God's Will for MOST of us to live a (materially) abundant life!! It is not only scientifically unsustainable, it is also socially and environmentally harmful!!

The psychological effect is also devastating. Hardens your heart in a nutshell. It's a very un-Christian teaching!!

Or should I say, Anti-Christian teaching?? Why promote a belief that is potentially destructive on the basis of science?? What makes worsening the rich and poor gap any good?? Do you think God will work out a miracle for all our disobedience and for something that is really bad??

I agree, but would add that the "money system" itself is evil, whether we have an unhealthy "love" of money or not. The money system itself is evil because it's a tool used to devalue and rob us of the value of human labor, which is the only true source of all worldly wealth. To say, as the NT does, that only the "love" of money is evil is, I think, misleading. By saying only the "love" of money is wrong, the text implies that converting human labor into arbitrary units of "money" is perfectly fine. If it weren't for the money system robbing us of our labor, there wouldn't be as many "poor" people to worry about. Compared to the relative prosperity we'd be enjoying if we were paid what our human labor is really worth, we're ALL "poor."

However, there is nothing "unique," potentially or otherwise, about Christianity's alleged emphasis on helping the poor. I am aware of no religion that teaches us to ignore the poor. Like I said, even an atheist will "help the poor," if only for altruistic or "warm and fuzzy" reasons, which makes no difference to the poor on the receiving end.

Studies have shown that wealth does, in fact, harden the heart, which most of us know from personal experience anyway. We don't need the bible to tell us what we already know, which is almost always the case.
edit on 24-9-2012 by MeTarzan because: typo fix

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MeTarzan

That"value of human labor" is what the laborer agrees to work for. If a person agrees to do a job for 100 dollars tbats the value of the labor. It's not some arbitrary number.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Until you're forced to give it away (the labor) at minimum wage, or less than that if you are hamstrung into being a waiter or server at a restaurant.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Until you're forced to give it away (the labor) at minimum wage, or less than that if you are hamstrung into being a waiter or server at a restaurant.

Forced? What do you mean by forced? No one forces someone to take a job. And DON'T get me started about waiters and waitresses. In my years in the restaurant business the waiters and waitresses made the most money of anyone there. An acquaintance of mine graduated le Cordon Belu in Paris France and still to this day serves at a restaurant called the Oceanaire because he makes much more money with far less hours. Did you ever consider some people have to settle for low wages because they never took the steps necessary to acquire marketable skills??

edit on 24-9-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

The ignorants are skipping verses

edit on 24-9-2012 by shuar911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

I think a lot of folks would love to make cash donations to help the poor and needy, but our world is so corrupt that maybe most of those folks fear their donations would end up in the wrong pocket?!

I agree with what you are saying to a degree but what about christians that choose not to attend a church? Are they bad because they are'nt paying "their fair share" as you seem to be implying?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

reply to post by Sinny

None taken then!

@Bullshirt

Those are certainly the worse examples of Church values I've heard. Perhaps I could say I'm even lucky for most churches I've been to are 'missionary churches' for pastors/founder themselves are missionaries who gave everything up to build the church in a foreign land.

They would literally drive cheap, old, beat up, but small cars so it's still fuel efficient, not for the show but they were doing their best to have as little to themselves but more for the poor.

But the problem was their members. No matter how hard our pastor preached, they would just laugh at what he's saying! Believing not everyone is called to do great things for God and the poor. Sad. real sad!

Many would complain, we have nothing left after paying the bills, that's a simple problem - get a cheap place to rent, sell that luxury SUV, get a cheap/used car, sell your possessions that is beyond the basic need of food and clothing and not being used for the Gospel, settle your debts, burn your credit card, eat less!! eat less!! quit your hobbies, they idols anyways, stop useless leisure/recreational activities, stop worrying about your kid's education, save on electricity and water...

It doesn't matter how much you earn, it's never your money, it's always God's!! Even if you earn million bucks per year, still drive a cheap, small, used car!! rent cheap apartment, have only few possessions...

...Less to yourself, more to others. Stop loving your life and your family in the flesh!! Love them in the Spirit!! Get out of the addiction to pleasure, luxury, enjoyment, and wealth. Love your life, you will lose it later!!

Give to the poor, give to those who had none!! Give to the poor!! Don't Stop giving!!

In a year, we who are 'blessed' with much are collectively doing a worse crime than Adolf Hitler did, both unbelievers and Christians alike...

The unbelievers for their cold hearts and love of money and Christians for their cold hearts, love of money, and disobedience to Christ!
edit on 22-9-2012 by ahnggk because: (no reason given)

In all seriousness you are speaking as though everyone should live like priests, nuns, monks ect.
If everyone lived that way, the world would fizzle out.....no sex = no people. I'm not trying to be a smart @ss, I'm just trying to figure out what exactly you are trying to say. I absolutely agree that there is too much selfishness and materialism but don't forget...we are living in the devils domain imo.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Nearly all Christians will go to Hell!!

Matthew 25:41-45
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

Well, from the Protestant perspective, saying that people will go to hell for not doing good works is an invalid statement, and, even for Catholics and Orthodox, using this as a reference is a bit problematic, because how much is enough? If you feed one hungry guy, once, does that satisfy Christ's challenge? The bit about the "rich young man" seems to be more a matter of Christ demonstrating that, for him, wealth was his god, in that he preferred it to following Christ.

Personally, I think that it is all about mindset. Yes, if a Christian is constantly seeking wealth, and hoarding it, this would be indicative of the person who probably exemplifies "the love of money is the root of all evil". But if a person lives their life, keeps God at the fore, and is charitable to the best of their abilities, I think that's more what God expects, as opposed to living ascetically and giving every dime you earn away. That would be admirable, but I'm not sure that it's necessary (and, again, if one is a Protestant, it is absolutely not necessary.)

Perhaps this can best be expressed through a personal anecdote. I do pretty well, money wise, and over the years, I developed a bit of a detached view of it -- I could spend a couple hundred dollars on a meal without thinking too much of it. Then my wife passed away, I had a lot less things to spend money on, and I just started giving it away. You should see my mailbox -- every day there's at least one fund raising letter from someone that I've given money to in the past, asking for more. Everyone from Habitat for Humanity to the Humane Society to a variety of religious and military support organizations.

But my favourite charity is called Compassion International, which is a Christian group that operates centers in Third World countries and allows you to sponsor children that go to them. The kids write you letters, you write back, and the money that you pay every month goes to support the centers, providing the kids with food and education. (For the inevitable complaint that I'm "promoting Christianity" -- save it, I know full well what I'm doing.)

Every time that you write the kids a letter, you have the opportunity to send them some extra money, which goes directly to them, rather than the center, and this spring, I sent $100 to each of the two boys in Bolivia that I sponsor for Easter. I received a letter and picture back from one of them a couple of weeks ago, and the picture was of him and his Mom, and massive amounts of food and goods that they'd bought with the hundred bucks, along with a nice set of clothes for him.

That picture meant more to me than anything I'd whizzed away $100 on in the past, because, while to me, that amount of money was almost irrelevant, for them, it was significant. That, I think, is where God's grace comes in and transforms us. He blessed me with the skills that have allowed me to earn a good income, and the grace of charity that makes giving it away such a good experience. In that way, this boy and his family in, effectively, another world, find their lives improved by someone who loves them just as people, not for any reason beyond that.

We, all of us, can better the world one life at a time, but we should start with changing our hearts to welcoming the grace of charity, rather than doing it out of fear that we'll be "going to hell" for not giving away enough.

Your story about the boy and his Mom brought a tearful joy to my eye
. I can sense from your writing that you are a compassionate, blessed man
. I wish there were more folks out there like you.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DelayedChristmas

Very nice post, I'm glad to see someone knows their stuff.

What I understand is the Jews and people of Israel were looking for a savior that would free them from the bonds of their captors. But as the ancient people of Moses, they looked more for the physical instead of the spiritual. That's why the law of Moses was given to them, they were incapable of following the gospel of Christ (what Christ taught while on the Earth).

When Christ came they did not understand that he was to free them from the bonds of Satan through his Atonement and sacrifice for all of mankind as opposed from the Romans.

Now for the OP, it is certainly sad that more humanitarian aid is not given to those who truly need it. But I can't help but feel you are pointing fingers and mocking the Christian world, what with every sentence finishing with 5 exclamation points.

There are some church groups, however, that focus a whole lot of their resources on helping those in need.

mormon.org...

Laugh all you want about the beliefs of Mormons, they do a lot more than most to help others.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Key2life
So really all the insignificant things we do by trying to be perfect christians are but a small reach compared to the reach that love can extend if christians were to love with their full potential. So really if god or existence which you are apart of is really in control of everything including life, death, the rise, the fall and the impertinence of all things then why do you worry? Just love because it says god is love and that is a great enough gift... Peace
edit on 10/15/2009 by Key2life because: (no reason given)

There are still 16,000 children dying of hunger so I'll conclude it's not working.

There are probably similar number of adults (thousands) dying as well of hunger. They die without hearing the gospel...

Is that love????

God, where are your followers you commanded to take care and find the lost Sheep??!!

Are they still wallowing in their 3-bedroom homes, in their big, SUVs, in their value meals, in their weekend hike in the woods, in the comfort of their churches????

A meal given to a hungry person is only a quick fix....he will become hungry again. Love however brings happiness, motivation and a desire to thrive which will give more in the long run.

Yes we need food to survive but love spreads a certain uplifting energy that will attract positive energy, positive people and positive situations.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Charity is every persons responsibility. The verses that you pointed out have one thing in common you saw and did nothing. It not the organized church's responsiblity it is each and every persons. Christ points out that the naked hungry sick and inprisioned are the basicis along with do not cause a child harm.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04

As I said, I'm not religious. I'm a very skeptical person............

........And if I do, as skeptical as I am, I have to wonder at those who call themselves Christians and are not as skeptical as I am and are ostensibly wholly committed to the teachings of their religion's very basis, who taught them to do so... and yet do not do so. (Note, I say I wonder at them, not that I condemn them.) I am not referring to Christianity as a whole. As I've said in other topics, I do not make assumptions about groups. I observe individuals. I am speaking solely of those Christians who identify themselves with Christ, and yet seemingly act out of a lack of forgiveness, a lack of love for their perceived adversaries, a lack of love even for one another in some cases, and a lack of refraining from judgment. Indeed, at times I have had Christians profess to me the belief that it is their duty to judge and to persecute

As Christians, we are also to be extremely skeptical, it's in the Bible! But most are only skeptical if the message is to part yourself with money/wealth/possessions!

Test your pastors, test religious articles, etc etc.... But many/most Christians prefer to believe their pastors, their fellow Christians who are also as deceived as they are than the Word of God, through the Holy Spirit! They love the comfort of the 'seen' than the 'unseen', those they can 'hear' in the flesh, than those from the Spirit. The flesh will obviously love the things of the flesh.

It's okay to point the wrong of someone.... Say that's judgment if you will... Say for an example:

You see an insane man eating garbage and dog poo (yuck!!).. You tell him it's going to deal him harm, but the insane man protests!! He thinks you're trying to steal his food, and now he's also mad at you!!

Are you being merciful in this case? Yes, because you are trying to save the man from harm but unfortunately, the man, in his deranged mind, thinks the other way around and you're being like a thief....

The same thing is the problem with the corruption of the Gospel. Many today have been deceived into eating poo and garbage - as money/wealth/possessions are compared to the things of the Spirit, things of eternal value. The sad thing is that it will kill them later and they don't know (refuse to believe) that to God, those things are an abomination. God, doesn't call man an abomination, God doesn't even call a leper, the blind, and lame an abomination, God doesn't call poverty an abomination, so money/wealth/possession as world sees it, must be something really bad or evil!

@couldbeanyone

True Christians know and practice this, and that is why I LOVE them. The common demoninator among almost all religions is LOVE for mankind. Compassion and kindness are not flukes in our personalities, they are our redeeming qualities.

They keep all the stuff good for the flesh, and leave out all the rest... However Jesus maybe a little different, He dislikes, even get angry at those who are religious and loves money.

@noturtypical

Forced? What do you mean by forced? No one forces someone to take a job. And DON'T get me started about waiters and waitresses. In my years in the restaurant business the waiters and waitresses made the most money of anyone there. An acquaintance of mine graduated le Cordon Belu in Paris France and still to this day serves at a restaurant called the Oceanaire because he makes much more money with far less hours. Did you ever consider some people have to settle for low wages because they never took the steps necessary to acquire marketable skills??

Not forced??

What is the alternative if you don't take a job? In many poor countries with non-existent 'out of work' aid, it means dying a slow and painful death!

Isn't that the same as someone pointing a gun at your head and telling you "take this job, this laughable wage, else I pull the trigger!" - in fact this guy would be more merciful if the victim refuses the offer as he is dealt with a swift, painless death...

It's sad reality that today in fact, the profits now come from the miserable labor of people in poor, 3rd World Countries! They have no choice to work, else they die, they don't have good aid system as in many rich countries!

See the miserable statistics of the world poor just to give you an idea

www.globalissues.org...

What you're keeping is evil!! Leave as little as possible to you, give as much as you can!!

@shuar911

The ignorants are skipping verses

Could you also make a picture like that, remove the pope and replace with a typical Christian family, loading their SUV with their many stuff and happy meals for a nice long weekend getaway!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

In those countries if the person doesn't take the job there will be 30 people in line after them that will. So again the "price of labor" is always determined by the worker. If an employer offer X for a job and no laborers agree to the terms the employer must raise the wage. Wages will always stay as low as the minimum people are willing to accept them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join