It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WH Silent Over Demands to Denounce ‘Piss Christ’ Artwork

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Sep 21, 2012

By Todd Starnes

Religious groups are blasting President Obama for not condemning am anti-Christian art display set to appear in New York City and one Republican lawmaker said he is “fed up with the administration’s double standard and religious hypocrisy.

“Piss Christ,” once branded as a “deplorable, despicable display of vulgarity,” will be displayed at the Edward Tyler Nahem Gallery in Manhattan on Thursday. The artwork features a “photograph of the crucifix submerged in the artist’s urine.”

The artwork debuted in 1989 and was funded through prize money provided by the National Endowment for the Arts. The art gallery hosting the retrospective salute to Andres Serrano is privately owned.

Religious groups and some lawmakers have already started sounding off – and making comparisons to the controversy over a recent anti-Muslim film. The low budget movie “Innocence of Muslims” sparked violent and deadly clashes across the globe.

Fox News

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note (This Appears On Every Post Reply Page): AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts or simple "I agree" posts when replying to threads. If you need to quote a member's post in your reply, please ensure you edit down the quoted amount to the minimum needed to make your point. Overly large quotes or minimal replies are subject to warnings or deletion.

edit on 9/23/2012 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
OMG, is Fox News really digging out Piss Christ?

I feel like I'm being time-warped back to ignorant Reagan/Bush/Quayle years...

upload.wikimedia.org...

Oh, how vulgar!

edit on 22-9-2012 by DaTroof because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
OMG, is Fox News really digging out Piss Christ?

I feel like I'm being time-warped back to ignorant Reagan/Bush/Quayle years...

OMG- it's going on display again. That's why it's news. And, they're right. There is a serious double standard.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

"Since our founding the United States has been a nation that respects all faiths. We reject all efforts to denigrate religious beliefs of others." ~ President Barack Obama

He has already denounced such things. How many times should he have say it?

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Yes, I’m still waiting for Obama and Hillary to make a commercial to denounce this blasphemous attempt at art. After all, they went out of their way to make a commercial denouncing the video mocking Mohammed, right?

Is it only blasphemous when it’s against Islam and Mohammed? Kind of like something only being racist if it’s directed towards blacks?

Why the double standard? Why does this administration (much more so than any other) feel compelled to bow down to Islamists?

Listen to her words and tell me how the same doesn't apply to Piss Christ.......

edit on 22-9-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Who cares? Well, I wish that were the opinions of everyone. Much like a channel on the TV or radio, if you don't like it don't pay attention to it, change the channel and tune out.

I've never heard of Piss Christ before so thanks for bringing it to my attention

Piss Christ

The WH will denounce this video once Christians begin to protest, riot, and kill. Till that happens, the WH, I assume, will just ignore this. I would. I don't think Christians are childish enough to riot and kill over this, which clearly they haven't since Piss Christ's 1987 debut

I wonder if the US Gov't had anything to say about the Piss Christ back in 87 and did any Christians ever protest over this?

Protesters in France apparently not only protested the Piss Christ but even destroyed it. Wait, destroyed?

Piss Christ Art Work Destroyed by Protesting Christians, What if they were Muslim?

www.loonwatch.com...

The famously distasteful artwork by Andres Serrano titled “Piss Christ,” caused quite a stir when it was first shown. Now Christians protesting the artwork in Paris have slashed the painting. Imagine if they had been Muslim? Does this mean Christianity can’t live with offense? Does this mean that Christianity is opposed to free speech?

ANDRES Serrano’s Piss Christ has been destroyed by Christians who broke into a French gallery and slashed the photograph after weeks of protests.

The New York photographer’s controversial work shows a small crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist’s urine.

It outraged the US religious right in 1987, when it was first shown. It was vandalised in Melbourne in 1997, and neo-Nazis ransacked a Swedish show by the artist in 2007.

Non American Christians are getting things done so does this help appease you lazy American Christians who find PJ offensive?

I'm sure the J-man talks about forgiveness and if he were a poster today on ATS I betcha he would tell everyone not to let this upset them and that he's okay with it. He's all about Love and such, not hate and anger.

edit on 22-9-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

The WH will denounce this video once Christians begin to protest, riot, and kill. Till that happens, the WH, I assume, will just ignore this.

Isn’t it sad that you have to blow things up and kill people to get attention from your own government?

I guess terrorism really works, at least against the douchebags in the current administration; just kill a few people and you get millions of dollars in aid and commercials proclaiming support for your cause from the US government.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

It's sad any Muslim gave that YT video the time of day, let alone riot and kill over it. It breaks my heart, especially because it appears these people were being used for that specific purpose. At least the Christians who opposed this painting only destroyed the image itself and nothing more (give or take a window or lock for a B&E). As far as getting attention from the Gov't about this, I don't care what the Gov't thinks about it and I hope they ignore it. There are clearly politicians and lawmakers who oppose this art, so isn't that what you want or does the WH have to make a big to do about it? This has been around since 1987, can't you guys move on?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Do we want seperation of church and state, or not?

+20 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
So, when the Anti-Muslim movie came out, you wanted Obama to stand up for Free Speech.

And now that the shoe is on the other foot, you want him to condemn it?

Not at all surprising! :shk:

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Exactly. The neo-Nazis who also oppose this art work would be proud

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

It's sad any Muslim gave that YT video the time of day, let alone riot and kill over it.

While I agree with you, (I know I’m going to get flamed) I must point out that it’s a cultural thing. People in the ME handle their disputes this way….they don’t value human life as we do in the west; it’s evident.

The fact that Christians (and westerners in general) don’t go nuts and fly off the handle emboldens these crooks to walk all over us. I guess we need to act out more to get results???

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

You have to be f'ing kidding me....this was ages ago. I suppose it has as much relevance as a 14 year old video....whatever....and do you really care? or do you care cause Faux news said you should care? This "artwork" is ages old....who f'ing cares? it was a time and a place...we have moved passed there....there are far more important things to think about.

I could crap into a bowl and put a little sign in it that says "food for the masses courtesy of the Republicans and Fox news"....how does that sound? It should sound great cause that is what you are eating. You have been swallowing the equivalent for years.

I do not care what people feel about religion....that is a personal matter as long as they aren't sacrificing virgins...those things are hard to find these days....

I do care when someone tries to turn religious belief or lack thereof into a political statement...we have a separation of church and state (and always have even in our glory years) and what someone thinks of art is irrelevant....the separation of church and state must stand and the relevancy must be condemned....it is wrong to make this a part of it...and the real patriots know this....only the false ones use this as a tool. You could be a Zoroastrianist for all I care....it has no business in politics....(and yes, Christianity is based almost completely on Zoroastrianism.....I know you hate that don't you....look it up and learn...learn...what a magic word)

This is a clear expression of the desperation of Rupert Murdock to get the "black" man out of the "white house"....do you not see this...are you truly that blind?
edit on 22-9-2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)
ETA...I misspoke....Both Judaism AND Christianity are modeled after Zoroastrianism...which is far-far older than both....good day.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

So, when the Anti-Muslim movie came out, you wanted Obama to stand up for Free Speech. And now that the shoe is on the other foot, you want him to condemn it?

Not at all surprising!

NO, I wanted him to STFU and say nothing….but he didn’t.

I'm just saying that if he’s going to begin the apology tour once again then apply it equitable and start here at home. Is that too much to ask?

This POTUS is a suck up to all things Muslim and it's grotesque.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I think this is more about Hypocrisy than anything else. Though i will say The Ten Commandments has served America well.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

If he had said nothing, you guys would have ranted and raved about him NOT standing up for free speech. I'm not interested in talking points.

Hey JIMMIE! You got a link?

edit on 9/22/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Yeah you're definitely gonna get flamed for that while also receiving many stars. You're right, there is a huge cultural difference but the ME is special because it's been home to religious violence for a long long time. I wouldn't generalize all Arab Muslims who live in the ME as people who do not value human life because that's ignorant.

Westerners don't fly off the handle and go nuts over this? Well, the art itself has been repeatedly attacked and I expect it will once again but yes they aren't near as bad as the ME protests of recent. What results are you looking for exactly? For this art to be destroyed? For the WH to make a statement that at the end of the day does absolutely nothing just because they did for the "Innocence of Muslims"? Are you looking to hinder Free Speech because you are offended?

Why are you wasting your time getting upset over this and demanding a result to suit your desires? Move on.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

If he had said nothing, you guys would have ranted and raved about him NOT standing up for free speech. I'm not interested in talking points.

He didn’t stand up for FREE SPEECH!!

He tried to censor YOUTUBE!!

You really don’t know how this went down do you?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Is it the White house's place to comment on religion or art? What are people waiting for from Pres. Obama ? If he comments wouldnt that be out of place?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Here I agree with you. In fact, I think we're all in agreeance the WH and corrupt politicians and their masters do not at all support Free Speech or the Constitution at all.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join