It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy October Surprise!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
LL1

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
We all knew somethimg was coming, did you expect this:
Saddam met with bin Laden
www.memri.org...

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   

MEMRI
October 15, 2004
SADDAMS ITALIAN LAWYER GIOVANNI DE STAFANO TOLD A LONDON-BASED DAILY THAT A MEETING WAS HELD BETWEEN HIMSELF AND OSAMA BIN LADEN AT THE RASHID HOTEL IN BAGHDAD IN 1998. (AL-SHARQ AL-AWSAT, LONDON, 10/15/04)

The way I read it, the lawyer met with bin Laden in Baghdad. Although bin Laden's presences in Baghdad either way is shocking. Don't know if I would call MEMRI putting this out as an October surprise though. It's not exactly the type of organization that is a mouthpiece of Rove and the RNC.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
In my experience, I do not know as to others, MEMRI's stories can go either way. I would wait to see if any other Sources pick this up.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
My feeling exactly. A real October surprise, IMHO, would be something brewing under the surface that then breaks through to the mainstream and is picked up and ran with rather quickly in the mainstream media. Not sure if this qualifies, but we'll keep an eye on it, whaddayathink?

LL1

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
anyone can translate for us?

www.asharqalawsat.com...

SMR

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
This I am sure is only one of many to come out this month.I wouldnt call this a real suprise as to me it almost looks as if the lawyer himself met with OBL.But if that is the case,WHY
Sorta trivial there.
In the weeks to come,I think many stories are going to come out and it is up to us,as people,to decide if it done for political gain,or just simply news that didnt travel so fast.
Im willing to bet many stories that come in the weeks ahead are not so much shocking,but rather,'tell me something I didnt question already'
Atleast for members on ATS anyway

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
ive seen this reported before, cant remember where but in any case back in 1998. Am i missing something juicy here?

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a little slow tonite. So????? Saddam had no weapons, that's been hashed and rehashed so many times its incredible. This story is put out by the right wingers again in a lame effort to draw more voters, yadda yadda yadda. Give it up. Its over.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by LL1
We all knew somethimg was coming, did you expect this:
Saddam met with bin Laden
www.memri.org...

Thanks@

But there is NO connection! Bull#, what is OBL doing in Baghdad? I ahve tried to tell you that Al qaeda and Saddam did have connections, they did not want them public but for reasons you would not expect. OBL was supposedly an enemy of saddam.

SADDAMS ITALIAN LAWYER GIOVANNI DE STAFANO TOLD A LONDON-BASED DAILY THAT A MEETING WAS HELD BETWEEN HIMSELF AND OSAMA BIN LADEN AT THE RASHID HOTEL IN BAGHDAD IN 1998. (AL-SHARQ AL-AWSAT, LONDON, 10/15/04) ????

This was hinted at here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 15-10-2004 by edsinger]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by everlastingnoitall
My feeling exactly. A real October surprise, IMHO, would be something brewing under the surface that then breaks through to the mainstream and is picked up and ran with rather quickly in the mainstream media. Not sure if this qualifies, but we'll keep an eye on it, whaddayathink?

LIke John Kerry got a Dishonorable Discharge? For Aid and Comfort to the enemy in a time of war?

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
More propaganda. This is hardly an earthshattering surprise.

In the next few days you'll be hearing all kinds of surprises, accusations, terror threats (to help Bush, of course) and they're all bunk. Its just dirty politics, thats all.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Will the real October Surprise please stand up

Unit Refused Iraq Mission, Military Says

WASHINGTON - The Army is investigating up to 19 members of a supply platoon in Iraq (news - web sites) who refused to go on a convoy mission, the military said Friday. Relatives of the soldiers said the troops considered the mission too dangerous, in part because their vehicles were in such poor shape.
story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20041016/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_unit_investigation&cid=540&ncid=716

Smartest 19 soldiers in the whole war

OUTSTANDING !!! GENTLEMEN Now release these men before I stomp your guts out

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by project_pisces
Will the real October Surprise please stand up

Unit Refused Iraq Mission, Military Says

WASHINGTON - The Army is investigating up to 19 members of a supply platoon in Iraq (news - web sites) who refused to go on a convoy mission, the military said Friday. Relatives of the soldiers said the troops considered the mission too dangerous, in part because their vehicles were in such poor shape.
story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20041016/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_unit_investigation&cid=540&ncid=716

Smartest 19 soldiers in the whole war

OUTSTANDING !!! GENTLEMEN Now release these men before I stomp your guts out

Genuine and true
Im proud of those 19 servicepeople.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by LL1
anyone can translate for us?

www.asharqalawsat.com...

I did a translation of the front page and I didn't see any mention of Saddam.

Here's the site I used to translate:
www.systransoft.com...

You may want to bookmark it for any other Arabic pages you may need to translate.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
This story is indeed an older story, but the only link I could find so far to the old story, is a passing comment on a UK football (soccer) team fan site. >LOL I know it's an odd place for it, but bear with me...

The site is here, and is called "Cobblers Comments". Now, evidently the Northhampton Town Cobblers were the subject of a failed take over bid during 2002 by none other than international Lawyer (and man of mystery) Giovanni Di Stefano. The post quotes the CASI (Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq) web site as follows:

Di Stefano said that in March 1998 - five months before the embassy bombings - he entered the state-run hotel with Tariq Aziz, the Iraqi foreign minister, and was sitting in the lobby with a business associate. Richard Butler, the chief United Nations weapons inspector, had just walked past when they overheard someone sitting nearby say: "That is a man who brings death to this country." Di Stefano said he looked over and saw a slightly built man sipping Evian water. "I said we also had our victims to cry over in Yugoslavia," Di Stefano recalled. "He walked over, and I remember his piercing eyes and handshake. His skin was gentle and soft, like a woman's hand." The two men made polite conversation, and the stranger introduced himself as Osama Bin Laden, Di Stefano said "He seemed kind: he talked about a family feast for his children and asked me about law, he seemed a gentle man, although his eye movements were a little strange"

After searching the CASI site, I can find no mention of the original piece. Although, that isn't really surprising considering the age of the Di Stefano's claim, and the fact that those who don't support American action in Iraq, have no interest in providing information that may justify the invasion. I'll continue to see if I can dig up anymore on this.

BTW: I'm not trying to claim this as definitive proof that Saddam was involved with OBL. I don't know enough about the incident or Mr. Di Stefano, to make such a judgment at this time. However, to just dismiss this as propaganda or irrelevant is naive at best, and a willful embrace of ignorance at worst.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I see some people are now trying to use vientnam. Didn't we learn our lesson on that war already? Guess we have to do it again. Kerry protested the war like most everyone in the country did. I mean not everyone, some skipped out of actually having to do any fighting because they had a rich dad. Heck some didn't even have to shop up. ;-)

If I had a meeting with our president, does that mean we have ties and are in cahoots? If my lawyer did instead, how much better would that be? Boy we are grabbing at straws here. It's like saying anyone who knows someone who has talked to a gang member, has ties to a gang member.

I don't rule it out, but jumping to conclusions on every little things is how wars get started. Oh wait, too late.
;-)

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Saddam and Osama: A Long History

site but I do not give much credence to it as a source..or should I?

Will look into this further...

Former Iraqi official Ahmed Allawi, now a leader of the Iraqi National Council, said in 1999, "There is a long history of contacts between the Mukhabarat (Iraqi secret service) and Osama bin Laden." Allawi said then that the alliance between Al-Qaida and Iraqi intelligence developed over the years. (8)

Saddam Hussein, by far a devout Muslim, actively and aggressively courted Osama bin Laden. This was not an easy task, as Saddam Hussein has murdered thousands of Iraqis who shared bin Ladens goal of establishing governments based on his version of the Islamic Sharia legal codes. The Iraqi leader, however, was able to lure bin Laden by offering him access to specialized training and weaponry that Al-Qaida could not acquire themselves. That training includes using captured Kuwaiti Boeing 707 airliners to practice hijacking techniques, and the weaponry includes significant amounts of at least one biological warfare toxin: anthrax. (9, 10, 11)

www.intelmessages.org...

[edit on 16-10-2004 by edsinger]

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I seriously doubt a credible attorney would provide such information. Memri is often another disinformation source.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Looking further........Geez....and look at the date!

The Osama-Saddam Connection Proved

Top Iraqi intelligence officials and other trusted representatives of Saddam Hussein met repeatedly with bin Laden and his subordinates.
Iraq provided safe havens, money, weapons, and fraudulent Iraqi and Syrian passports to al Qaeda.
Iraq provided training in the manufacture and use of sophisticated explosives. Bin Laden specifically requested that Iraqi intelligence's premier explosives maker, Brig. Gen. Salim al-Ahmed, who was especially skilled in making car bombs, remain with him in Sudan. The Iraqi intelligence chief instructed Salim to remain in Sudan with bin Laden as long as required.
A Malaysia-based Iraqi national, Ahmed Hikmat Shakir, secured a job at the airport in Kuala Lumpur with help from the Iraqi Embassy in Malaysia. He then facilitated the movement of Khalid al Midhar and Nawaq al Hamzi, two of the 9/11 hijackers, through passport control and customs to attend an operational meeting in Kuala Lumpur on Jan. 5, 2000. Tawfiz al Atash, a top bin Laden lieutenant who masterminded the Oct. 12, 2000, attack on the USS Cole, was one of the men at that meeting.
Senior al Qaeda operative Ibn al-Shaykh al-Libi traveled to Iraq in 1998 to establish a relationship with Iraqi intelligence to obtain poisons and gases training. In December 2000, after the USS Cole bombing, two al Qaeda operatives went to Iraq for CBW-related training. Iraqi intelligence was "encouraged" to provide this training after the embassy and USS Cole bombings."
Mohamed Atta, the alleged mastermind of the September 11 hijackings, met at least four times in Prague with Ahmed Khalil Ibrahim Samir al Ani, former Iraqi intelligence chief. During one of those meetings, al Ani ordered his finance officer to issue Atta funds from Iraqi Intelligence Service financial holdings in the Prague office.

www.military.com...

[edit on 16-10-2004 by edsinger]

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Snoopy,

Not surprisingly you missed the point. The reason why this COULD be important IF it is true, is because it places Osama Bin Laden in Baghdad 5 months before the MAJOR attacks on the U.S. embassies in Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.

FYI: in case you don't recall, those embassies were bombed by terrorists, leaving 258 people dead and more than 5,000 injured. Furthermore, four men, Mohamed Rashed Daoud al-'Owhali, Khalfan Khamis Mohamed, Wadih al-Hage, and Mohamed Sadeek Odeh, who have been linked to Al-Queda, were convicted of those bombings on May 29, 2001.

Also, keep in mind, that Iraq in 1998 was not like other countries. Travel to and from Iraq was STRICTLY controlled by Saddam and his secret police. Osama would not have just stopped by Iraq on his way to visit with relatives.

Now your right, if YOU met with the Pres. no one would care. However, you are not the leader of an international terrorist organization, and the President is not (although I'm sure some here would disagree with me) the leader of a rogue nation, that has not only expressed the desire to, but has attempted to attack others, via terrorism.

Take it for what it is, but your weak analogy doesn't fit.

P.S. Not "most everyone" protested the Vietnam war. In fact, even as late as 1970, Gallup polls showed that over 40% of the population under age 49 thought that the US HADN'T made a mistake in sending troops to Vietnam. A lot of very good people believed then and still do today, that the fight was right, but the way in which it was fought was wrong. What was that you said about jumping to conclusions?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join