It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Rep. Steve King defends dog fighting.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

GOP Rep. Steve King Defends Dog Fighting

If you believe that the United States should legalize dogfighting because we allow humans to fight, fear not. You’ve got an ally in the United States Congress.

During a tele-townhall late last week, Rep. Steve King (R-IA) fielded a question about his opposition to animal rights and recently introduced legislation that would undermine local standards preventing animal torture. “It’s wrong to rate animals above human beings,” he told the questioner. To make his point, King argued that “there’s something wrong” for society to make it a “federal crime to watch animals fight” but “it’s not a federal crime to induce somebody to watch people fighting.”

KING: When the legislation that passed in the farm bill that says that it’s a federal crime to watch animals fight or to induce someone else to watch an animal fight but it’s not a federal crime to induce somebody to watch people fighting, there’s something wrong with the priorities of people that think like that.

Has the GOP lost it or what? Does this man not understand that innocent animals DON'T have a choice?

Representative King believes that if Manny Pacquiao can step into a ring and get beaten up, then people should be able to make dogs fight to the death.

Unfortunately the article goes on to say that Rep. King has also fought legislation that made it illegal to bring a child to an animal fight.

Representative King has also been the leading advocate against anti-dog fighting legislation in Congress.

Read more: Link
edit on 9/22/2012 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Disgusting. Both parties have disgusting members with disgusting ideals. So funny how you Democrats like to sling mud on Republicans, you know what they say about people who live in glass houses. We The People keep electing these people, on both sides of the aisle.
edit on 22-9-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

GOP Rep. Steve King Defends Dog Fighting
If true, Rep. Steve King should be put in a cage with 12 starving wolfes.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Summerian

Unfortunately the way the GOP is going, I have no doubt in my mind this is true.

The article in my OP quoted King several times, and cemented his views of allowing animals to fight to the death as long as it's legal for Humans to fight.

I don't think this man is smart enough to even realize that animals don't have a choice.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I read this differently.

Rather than him saying that dog fighting is okay, could he not be saying the boxing isn't okay?

These quotes seem to leave it open to interpretation. He seems to be saying that it's hypocritical to allow Humans to fight for entertainment but to criminalize watching animals fight for entertainment.

I agree with all your sentiments here, I have been an animal rights advocate for over 20 years. I once stood outside retailers that sold fur products every weekend handing out flyers to their customers.

I agree that the guy is an idiot for not having the common sense to see that Humans have choice. But I think he could easily be an idiot for the wrong reasons unless his views are clarified. It certainly seems that he could be defending animal abuse, in which case the idiot has just committed professional suicide, but I would need a little more clarification before I can make up my mind about him.

He might just be a really stupid person who doesn't understand his own argument.
edit on 22-9-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

You could be right, I confess I am not going to read the whole article since it doesn't matter. Either way he is a moron for saying it. As I said, both parties have disgusting members. We have this guy who advocates dog fighting for whatever reason, and we have Democrats who are openly racist against white people.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I think this is really disgusting and representative King is not fit to serve. Anyone with pets and animal lovers should decry this statement and demand he step down or vote to protect animals.

Animals cannot speak for themselves and are held captive on leashes and chains.
People who fight can choose to do so, they get paid, they can speak, and they can walk away.

If stricter laws preventing abuse against animals were in place it would be thought of as so much more horrible to abuse or harm a human being. Now we think everyone has a right to get kicked around and this is the way the world is - tough. It is tough because people like King working backwards to keep it an ugly place. I don't know why we let this Neanderthal make decisions for us? We have to start somewhere.

If we did NOT have unwritten "permission" to abuse our animals - people would certainly think twice before striking a child.

edit on 22-9-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Representative King has a history of supporting animal abuse.

This isn’t an unintended consequence — King told the Daily Caller that his amendment “fixes the states and their political subdivisions regulating food production everywhere in America.” However, King might want to reconsider that position, as his amendment would legalize some of several horrific farming and food practices that some states have chosen to do away with

King, thought, brags that his legislation “wipes out everything they’ve [animal rights advocates] done with pork and veal.” Indeed, King has a long record of opposing animal welfare legislation — he has, for example, been Congress’ leading advocate against anti-dogfighting legislation. He also believes that the Humane Society and other animal rights advocates are attempting to ban “production agriculture” and has fantasized about exposing vegetarians with “an agenda for our diets” on the House floor.

Link

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Put the vid in your OP please, text doesn't do it justice

This guy is an idiot for thinking you can compare dog fighting to humans boxing. I guess he doesn't realize that these animals are tortured, and use other small dogs to practice on, torturing them as well.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Wow, I really hate this guy now.

What a complete psychopath, you can tell he is one of those weirdos that enjoyed killing animals as a kid. I really wouldn't be surprised if he was a serial killer. Just an absolute disgusting human being. I wish karma were real.

This guy is a danger to all life forms and should not be anywhere near power.

edit on 22-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: w

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
People are idiots... Just some more devaluation of life.

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." Immanuel Kant

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
how is putting two animals bred to fight like pitbulls cruelty.

they were specifically bred with fighting traits and it is what they naturally do.

its a question of one group imposing its morality on other people.

who are any of you to judge whether dog fighting, bull fighting or cock fighting is wrong.

its hardly even worth arguing about. you don't like it, don't watch it.

but don't start nagging and condemning or even persecuting another human being because two dogs bite each in a ring.

link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Unfortunately people who elect blabbering idiots like Rep. King usually share the same beliefs as him.

No respect for innocent life whatsoever.

It's a real shame to have people like this making decisions and creating laws that will ultimately affect all of us. Whether or not we share the same beliefs as him.

link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
reply to post by muse7

Disgusting. Both parties have disgusting members with disgusting ideals. So funny how you Democrats like to sling mud on Republicans, you know what they say about people who live in glass houses. We The People keep electing these people, on both sides of the aisle.
edit on 22-9-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

WHAT THE HELL?

Are you suggesting this thread not exist and we not hear about King because Democrats are bad too?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by wascurious

He cries in every thread that says anything bad about Republicans. He can't handle that his party is full of low IQ psychopaths.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
I read this differently.

Rather than him saying that dog fighting is okay, could he not be saying the boxing isn't okay?

Has he blocked efforts to criminalize dog fighting?
CHECK.
Has he made even the slightest step towards introducing legislation against boxing?
NOPE.

That was easy.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
We have this guy who advocates dog fighting for whatever reason, and we have Democrats who are openly racist against white people.

What medicines are they handing out at these GOP conventions these days?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Wow what a complete psychopath.

No it's not about a group imposing it's moral beliefs on another group. It's about a group with a functioning moral compass stepping in a doing the right thing, and putting an end to dog fights.

Only sick people enjoy watching two innocent dogs fight to the death. Dogs have no choice in the matter, but humans do.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

I take it you fight dogs..... because only someone that does would be a dog fighting apologist. You're clearly a complete psychopath who is unable to feel empathy.

Forcing dogs to fight to the death solely for human monetary gain and amusement is animal cruelty. I guess you haven't realized that dogs feel PAIN? Do you think these dogs like being torn to shreds? Having their eyes gouged out? Flesh being torn from their bodies?

The trainers also use weaker dogs weaker dogs for the Pitt Bulls to practice on, usually with their mouths taped shut so they cannot fight back.

Animals are not here for humans to torture for our amusement, what is wrong with you?

edit on 22-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
how is putting two animals bred to fight like pitbulls cruelty.

Bred by who? Did pitbulls get together and form a fighting dog breed? I think humans do that. Do you know what "bred to fight" actually means? It means abused, made scared and without the ability to trust anyone or anything around it.

THAT IS WHAT BRED TO FIGHT MEANS. Breeding dogs to fight is cruel to begin with unless you think feeding dogs gunpowder is the way nature intended it.

they were specifically bred with fighting traits and it is what they naturally do.

These are fights to the death. How do you know which one was bred to fight and which one was bred to die? Would it not seem cruel to let your fighting dog get killed by another dog if it was bred to fight, not die?

its a question of one group imposing its morality on other people.

No it is really more a question of your sanity at this point.

who are any of you to judge whether dog fighting, bull fighting or cock fighting is wrong.

Not a dog, a bull, or a cock.
I suppose you would be ok if dogs took humans and forced them to fight to the death?
How about if Bulls paraded you around a ring while men speared you and helped you bleed out slowly?
Sound like fun?

I am guessing you would have a problem being forced to go through this by another species. If not, then your elevator crashed in the basement long ago.

its hardly even worth arguing about. you don't like it, don't watch it.

That is how I feel about the death of your family members at the hands of random killers.

but don't start nagging and condemning or even persecuting another human being because two dogs bite each in a ring.

Bit each other in a ring?
When do you start high school?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join